Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:53:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: restoring bitcoins with secure-print  (Read 253 times)
awared (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 06:30:29 AM

Hi!
I made a paper backup (with secure-print code) and after an upgrade lost the wallet files. I was able to restore the wallet but as I open it there are no transactions listed. I'm not sure if I should sweep it, which leads to a new wallet, or try to make it online. I would appreciate any help finding out my balance. I would like to make a donation to armory to learn send bitcoins. 
 : )

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
plecoup

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:40:46 AM

Is your armory client installed on an offline machine? If so you can't check your balances from this client.
If instead your pc has an internet connection then are you running bitcoin core? It is necessary in order to bring armory online (and thus checking balances, making transactions..)
awared (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 11:28:12 PM

Oh thank you so much! I totally forgot bitcoin core  Grin
It is now asking for 150gb of space and download keeps
getting interrupted by sleep-mode.. This is now showing
to take 3 weeks.. let me get back to, hopefully soon.
droark

Activity: 525
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 12:15:57 AM

Oh thank you so much! I totally forgot bitcoin core  Grin
It is now asking for 150gb of space and download keeps
getting interrupted by sleep-mode.. This is now showing
to take 3 weeks.. let me get back to, hopefully soon.

If I were you, I'd look into disabling sleep mode. Last I checked, some people had issues when their initial blockchain sync was interrupted for one reason or another. If the blockchain data gets corrupted, Armory can't do anything about it. I'm not saying the data will get corrupted. I'm just saying I recommend letting Core run uninterrupted if possible.
awared (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 11:03:41 PM

Thanks for the insight. I used caffeinate command on mac to prevent sleeping and were able to complete the ledger download. However now the armory crashes. I tried the brew command and have read so much of the threads.. Should I revert to an older version
Huh
 Cry
PhoenixFire

Activity: 270
Merit: 36

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 11:22:23 PM

Thanks for the insight. I used caffeinate command on mac to prevent sleeping and were able to complete the ledger download. However now the armory crashes. I tried the brew command and have read so much of the threads.. Should I revert to an older version
Huh
 Cry
No, but posting your log files will likely help.
Not a mac user, but I assume they live in ~/.armory  or somewhere similar.
Add dblog.txt and armorylog.txt to pastebin (or a site of your choice) and post the links here, please.
droark

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2018, 12:29:47 AM

/Users/user_name_here/Library/Application Support/Armory/ is where the logs reside on Macs. Hidden files/directories may have to be enabled in order to see them.
awared (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 08:53:56 PM

the easiest way to access in mac is Go To Folder under Go menu and type ~/Library

I also get Python quit unexpectedly. error dialogue.
I couldn't find dblog.txt  Shocked
Here is armorylog.txt
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WZkaxHYRQ_ghy0r49luVuOBHu5lsSw-e/view?usp=sharing

Thanks, so much
PhoenixFire

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 09:07:46 PM

the easiest way to access in mac is Go To Folder under Go menu and type ~/Library

I also get Python quit unexpectedly. error dialogue.
I couldn't find dblog.txt  Shocked
Here is armorylog.txt
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WZkaxHYRQ_ghy0r49luVuOBHu5lsSw-e/view?usp=sharing

Thanks, so much

Oof. That Armory version is quite old. Usual procedure is to upgrade to RC3 if possible, and given the older versions you'll want to delete /Users/gransar/Library/Application Support/Armory/databases/

Running a more recent version of Bitcoin Core, I hope? Smiley
awared (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 10:51:40 PM

Thanks again, this version doesn't work either. The databases folder is empty, but I deleted it anyway..
It's still crashing silently at startup  Cry
droark

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2018, 01:28:11 AM

Thanks again, this version doesn't work either. The databases folder is empty, but I deleted it anyway..
It's still crashing silently at startup  Cry

Read me.
awared (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 10:03:03 AM

Hi!
I downloaded brew and installed openssl. Then copied armoryd.py as well.

Not sure what else to do..
Huh
droark

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2018, 07:07:05 PM

Why are you bothering with armoryd? You have no need for it unless you have a specific reason to use it. Just run Armory. You should be good to go now that OpenSSL is installed.
awared (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 08:37:05 PM

Hi droark, I stored my bitcoins on a secure print and wanted to start playing around with it, understanding it more. I need to understand how it works and should be able to update my armory wallet. Your question is entirely valid and I do realize I should have used Armory as it has too many advanced features I don't need and the requirement to have a copy of the whole ledger on my laptop (however Electrum wasn't around when I purchased my first bitcoin). Also now I think I remember upgrading to os 10.13.2 for security but before this upgrade armory was running and I need to rollback the os. Let me go back 10.13.1 and get back to you.
P.S. The bit coin fell to 10k this whole time (not that it matters but still).
PhoenixFire

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 09:14:21 PM

droark asked why are you bothering with armoryd (armoryd.py), not Armory as a whole Smiley

Have you completed this part of the readme, titled Running Armory?
I'm not sure downgrading to a less secure OS version is going to help.
droark

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2018, 09:15:35 PM

Thanks for using Armory. Seriously. I'm just trying to understand what exactly you're trying to do. Why do you want to roll back to 10.13.1? I use Armory on 10.13.2 without issue. You still haven't said whether or not it fails after installing OpenSSL. If it fails, I need more info regarding why exactly it's failing.
awared (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 11:20:09 PM

droark asked why are you bothering with armoryd (armoryd.py), not Armory as a whole Smiley

Oh, Sorry, I misunderstood the question.
 Smiley

Basically I've tried everything on that page, including installing Brew and OpenSSL, except for
Verification. What I think is going on here and by rolling back I mean the version of the os x
from 10.13.2 to 10.13.1 because originally it was running fine and stopped after I upgraded os.
I have a back up and ready to rollback now.
 Undecided

What I'm trying to do is get my armory wallet updated and see that I can revive the bitcoins
from a secure print. I know I would like to transfer them out (armory is too advanced) to
possibly to electrum or Trezor. Again thanks for all the feedbacks!
 Cheesy
droark

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2018, 11:37:22 PM

Okay, let me back up even further. After installing OpenSSL, what exactly happens when you attempt to run Armory? It sounds like it doesn't work but you haven't confirmed this. I can't help unless you're crystal clear when explaining what's wrong.
awared (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 10:17:03 PM
Last edit: January 26, 2018, 10:46:17 PM by awared

I have upgraded brew, and openssl and even threw in armoryd.py..
Following is the crash-report which is related to python: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11irj2AXV4hAUuGNG78FAe4PeaW5QHRhhB8x1HUJOxsI/edit?usp=sharing
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 10:46:22 PM

Chances are your CPU is too old, you're gonna have to build from source.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: