Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 04:03:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Trezor or Ledger?  (Read 1392 times)
September11Myth

Activity: 387
Merit: 106

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 11:48:57 PM

I am personally very happy with Ledger Nano S, which seems to be adding new coins more frequently that Trezor, and it works fine and is cheaper than Trezor. But of course without having tried a Trezor, my opinion is incomplete.

⚪ Byteball          I T   J U S T   W O R K S .   
Sending Crypto to Email   -   Risk-Free Conditional Smart Payments   -   ICO Platform with KYC
ANN THREAD                  TELEGRAM                     TWITTER                  MEDIUM                  SLACK                  REDDIT
bug.lady

Activity: 196
Merit: 23

Large scale, green crypto mining ICO

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 07:18:29 AM

Sorry for noobs question. Where you all buy this hardware wallet? Because its very hard to get this wallet in my country.
I heard someone got a fake Ledger on Amazon.
I am not sure about Ledger, but Trezor has its own website, so you can buy it here. To my mind, Ledger has to have the same.
They both do, I mean Trezor and Ledger.

And you should buy it from the manufacturer, as I said in my earlier post. Buying from large resellers like Amazon is still fine, I think, but definitely less secure. Buying from eBay puts you at risk of jeopardizing all your funds.

Whatever you do to buy it, inspect the seal has not been broken after it is delivered.

rdny

Activity: 322
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 07:26:43 AM

I have no idea about cold wallets. Can you please enlighten me more about these two. I want to know more to help me make my holdings secure and intact.
CryptoTechnik

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 07:33:08 AM

I got the Ledger Nano S and like it very much. I would order from the factory directly if possible.
opennera

Activity: 128

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2018, 07:34:51 AM

I recommend you can use Leger nano S (i am order from officall website)
bug.lady

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 07:43:20 AM

I have no idea about cold wallets. Can you please enlighten me more about these two. I want to know more to help me make my holdings secure and intact.
Ledger and Trezor, those are not cold wallets. They are hardware wallets. The difference is that in the cold wallet you create (generate) a private key/address pair in an off-line computer. Than you can transfer the funds to the generated cold address online, because bringing the address online does not involve any risks. It is  your private key that must be kept off-line at all times. You cannot access those funds, as the private key cannot be exposed. Accessing the funds renders the wallet "hot" again and you must create a new cold wallet and move the funds again. All that is fine as long as you are determined, it involves a lot of work, and unfortunately it is prone to human errors.

Hardware wallet on the other side is always hot, you can access the funds any time, but the private keys are separated from the network on a small device (hence the name - hardware wallet). It is considered to be very secure, too, as the chip is designed to shelter your private keys from the network. It is easy to use and NOT prone to human errors.

I hope that explanation helps. If you need more details - ask.

romecheo

Activity: 476
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 10:05:37 AM

This is good references for me. I do need more feed back about the performance of different hardware wallet.

I was planning to buy one for my coins/token. Because I do believe that security is not an option anymore, it was a necessity.

▀▀████████████████▄▄         H A V E N      /      HOLD HAVEN. EARN BNB!         ▄▄████████████████▀▀
Community Driven DeFi Project Built on BSC
|    Whitepaper    |      Telegram      |       Twitter       |      [ SafeHaven.Finance ]      |     Instagram     |        Reddit        |      YouTube      |
bug.lady

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 10:28:50 AM

This is good references for me. I do need more feed back about the performance of different hardware wallet.

I was planning to buy one for my coins/token. Because I do believe that security is not an option anymore, it was a necessity.

Well, what exactly do you need to know? They both (Ledger and Trezor) have their native clients but they can also pair with a number of other wallets (MyEtherWallet for ETH and ERC20 tokens, Electrum for BTC) providing the same level of security (your keys never leave the device). If the wallet or exchange doesn't support pairing, then they can be used as a 2FA what is still much more secure than using your phone to 2FA (it is easy to hack a phone and next to impossible to hack a HW)

When lost or stolen or broken, they are PIN protected, and they can be recreated on another device (even in another brand product) from your 20-word backup phrase. Please note, that this backup MUST be protected from theft and eyes, as anybody can recreate the wallet from it on another device.

If you have specific questions, ask.

aa, one thing, the Ledger didn't want to pair with Electrum in Segwit mode. Trezor did.

grek_al

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 06:23:24 PM

Trezor only supports BTC, BCH, BTG, LTC, DASH, ZEC, ETH and ETC. The new Trezor T will support way more but it's not coming out until early next year
cryptobobo

Activity: 210

The P2P Marketplace For Digital Content

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 06:41:47 PM

Which hardware wallet to choose? What wallet have you got? Which one is secure? What altcoins can be allocated there?
It really depends on what type of wallet do you want? a pocketable size like ledger or a bulky storage like trezor?but either the two would be a good and secured wallet,these are the most commonly recommended storage to protect your investments and if you dont want use these wallets i suggest use paperwallet instead .

dulari1

Activity: 252
Merit: 4

EQUAL Network Token

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:11:44 PM

as of now Ledger nano s is much better than trezor in every aspect .
specially it supports many alts and all erc based tokens .
interface also easier than trezor , and some upcoming wallets like rebellious will support nano s for sure .

EQUALtoken.io      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄ ▄
▀ ▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     SELF DEFLATIONARY CRYPTOCURRENCY
timet678

Activity: 109

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:29:51 PM

I only own a Ledger Nano S but I can tell you it's worth it. My advice is use My Ether Wallet with it instead of the Ledger Chrome app because their app sucks IMO. The Ledger works flawlessly with MEW.

V.I.P

Activity: 238

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:48:48 PM

I'm use Ledger nano s. Simple and convenient wallet to use. I like. Tresor did not use.
ItsEzMkay

Activity: 303
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:53:23 PM

Which hardware wallet to choose? What wallet have you got? Which one is secure? What altcoins can be allocated there?

Personal preference, doesn't matter which I have. They are both secure and most alt coins can go on both of them but there may be a few that are unique to each device. I'll say this though, whatever device I didn't get I am going to get in the near future to diversify. More security the better plus less dependent on one company Smiley

HabiebRiziq

Activity: 966
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:55:39 PM

I only own a Ledger Nano S but I can tell you it's worth it. My advice is use My Ether Wallet with it instead of the Ledger Chrome app because their app sucks IMO. The Ledger works flawlessly with MEW.
i've questions about ledger nano s, because i dont have and i dunno. whether Ledger Nano S can change address for ethereum?, i mean generate address or only one address? because i wanna know before i bought this hardware wallet.
PetrovichCoinMaster

Activity: 224
Merit: 17

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 08:55:55 PM

After reading the entire thread and did not understand what device is best for storing and protecting my tokens. I realized that both devices cope well with their task. Every owner praises his device.
bug.lady

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 11:39:56 AM

Trezor only supports BTC, BCH, BTG, LTC, DASH, ZEC, ETH and ETC. The new Trezor T will support way more but it's not coming out until early next year

It is true if you count native wallets. Way more is supported if you count pairing your Trezor (or Ledger, if we are at it) with different wallets. For instance, they can be paired with MyEtherWallet giving you access to having virtually all ERC20 tokens there are

SalmanMJ9

Activity: 462
Merit: 12

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2018, 11:43:57 AM

I use Ledger and I very satisfied with it, it offer wider range of coins to store compare to Trezor. One tip: make sure you buy it from the official website, as many lost their money due buying it through Amazon or second hand ones.
bug.lady

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 01:14:06 PM

After reading the entire thread and did not understand what device is best for storing and protecting my tokens. I realized that both devices cope well with their task. Every owner praises his device.
Hey mate it is true, that you may use watever suits you best. They are both very secure.

I have them both and I really can't say this way or that way. There are slight differences and one downright bug (ledger didn't want to pair with Electrum in Segwit BTC), but I am sure the bug will be corrected eventually. Both products are worth my recommendation

yohanzo

Activity: 38

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 01:18:20 PM

Ledger Nano S all the way mate!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: