Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 02:11:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Did Verge pump only because of McAfee?  (Read 679 times)
imjustp

Activity: 256
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2017, 09:53:01 PM

I think, personally, that he most likely takes payment to promote coins and that he also is using his following to pump coins which he can profit from. Does one man have the influence to make a coin rise like he seems to? It wouldn't be the strangest thing to happen in the cryptoverse
TrentD_TFN

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2017, 10:00:04 PM

*purely opinion and speculation*

I believe with the recent surge of new people being introduced into the cryptocurrency market has played a big part in it too. So now they see someone like McAfee promoting certain coins, immediately recognize his name as "someone important," and it's somewhat of a brand recognition type of thing happening. Though, from my understanding Verge does have an upcoming update?
pawnchop

Activity: 17

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 10:06:42 PM

I think so. Its still amazing to me that there are people that still don't realize that Verge is a Dogecoin fork! Its crazy. I made some small gains from XVG but had I known the details surrounding it I probably would have avoided it entirely.
reginalkri

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 10:14:57 PM

The question where would Verge marketcap be today if McAfee had not Tweeted anything. Probably where it was a month ago, and with a lot less people ever hearing about it.

I think it's all part of a powerful pump and dump a coin team that McAfee is part of. Rather criminal in that there will be a lot of unknown victims.
Ging

Activity: 504
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 10:16:41 PM

without a doubt i think that the crypto market is affected buy the sentiment indicator and somone like Mcafee's opinion does effect on a lot of the crypto community.
jaka331

Activity: 59

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 10:23:10 PM

I think that verge took off on McAfee and the fuel was FOMO  Tongue
dumplingsandsushi

Activity: 476
Merit: 41

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2017, 10:30:29 PM

I've been thinking about this a lot too, and something conclusive I can say is that the market is changing (which doesn't say a lot and is just obvious).
I'm not sure we will see such a dramatic example as verge for awhile.
I think it was a combination of McAfee's tweet, new money that has been pouring in to crypto, and timing.

To me, I think the timing might have been the biggest factor, and I do not think at all that John McSCAMfee was smart enough to orchestrate it to such a grand scale.
With tons of North Americans and Koreans pouring in money starting a month ago, the price of btc was on an insane bull run.
With noobs, they typically start looking at alternatives to BTC to find the "next big thing".
They go to youtube and social media for answers and find John.
He tweets the thing, and throw in the timing of it being right before Christmas, and bam!
A shitcoin becomes a billion dollar company.

Well, in this case, verge isn't that crappy, but there are better and more established privacy coins out there.

Thinvestor

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 10:39:06 PM

I've been thinking about this a lot too, and something conclusive I can say is that the market is changing (which doesn't say a lot and is just obvious).
I'm not sure we will see such a dramatic example as verge for awhile.
I think it was a combination of McAfee's tweet, new money that has been pouring in to crypto, and timing.

To me, I think the timing might have been the biggest factor, and I do not think at all that John McSCAMfee was smart enough to orchestrate it to such a grand scale.
With tons of North Americans and Koreans pouring in money starting a month ago, the price of btc was on an insane bull run.
With noobs, they typically start looking at alternatives to BTC to find the "next big thing".
They go to youtube and social media for answers and find John.
He tweets the thing, and throw in the timing of it being right before Christmas, and bam!
A shitcoin becomes a billion dollar company.

Well, in this case, verge isn't that crappy, but there are better and more established privacy coins out there.

You are absolutely spot on, noobs who feel like they missed the boat with bitcoin, instead follow an idiots advice like him, and probably a lot of them did well from it! Feel bad for those who bought at $0.25 though, verge won't see that price for a while I feel....

The simpler it is, the better I like it
pawnchop

Activity: 17

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 10:50:31 PM

Well, less than an hour after I reply, John McAfee's twitter is hacked, sending markets haywire because of bots. Don't look to him for signals anytime soon.
Seejken

Activity: 30

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 11:01:11 PM

I made a decent profit on verge (i was in early) and sold just before the pump , but i' m glad i did.

Hope he won't pick one of my 5 holdings ;-)
Krezz2017

Activity: 560
Merit: 128

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 01:05:01 AM

We must wait until the coin comes to its original state and buy it. If she so pampanula once, then now she will do it. The coin interested the community.

thejaytiesto (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 04:16:06 PM

Well, less than an hour after I reply, John McAfee's twitter is hacked, sending markets haywire because of bots. Don't look to him for signals anytime soon.

This is what I was starting to believe. I mean this is not anywhere near normal levels of shilling:

If you want to shill altcoins, be more subtle, but this? c'mon, this is insane. This is just funny at this point. I must be a hack, but im sure he did shill some himself and got his 25 BTC. Then he will claim "woops, wasn't me, I got hacked guys" after he got all that BTC. I think this could be his exit scam to

1) End up with the BTC
2) Don't damage his reputation by being an altcoin shiller ("I was hacked guys I promise")
Iyanu14

Activity: 795
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 05:37:14 PM

I think he is only manipulating the market with this coin of the day of a thing who knows if he was only doing it to pump the coins he has in his portfolios or something.
Xenrise

Activity: 672
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 05:43:32 PM

I don't really know about this but I know that when McAfee is trying to endorse a coin, he tends to affect the market of that coin. An automatic PUMP. Well, it is natural, he has so many followers and believers and for as we all know, that a coin will pump whenever many people are buying it.
muenze

Activity: 224
Merit: 157

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 05:45:50 PM

I profited a lot from the explosion of Verge, but I dont think it was just McAfee. He promoted other coins and they did not gain as much. But yes it was free marketing, reaching a lot of people, so that along with a good coin does help, of course. Its the attention. There still is other good privacy coins as listed in my thread but yeah, a lot of it is PR/attention. People are always distracted nowadays from social media, fakenews, clickbait... So they barely research the coins and think/decide for themselves. So if mcaffee or someone else suggests a coin, it means a lot of people will check it out, and if they like it, they will buy it. I do still believe Verge was and is a great project, so no... Its not just mcaffee. Its the free marketing. You may want to look into Trump how he basically become president by PURPOSEDLY trolling the media/public constantly because he knows even bad news is good news.

Nothing worse than nobody talking about you/your project.

But I dont think Mcaffee could actually make a bad coin huge on the long run.

It was amazing to be part of Bitcointalk for a little while. Thankyou. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5316241.0
muenze

Activity: 224
Merit: 157

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 05:49:27 PM

This is what I was starting to believe. I mean this is not anywhere near normal levels of shilling:

If you want to shill altcoins, be more subtle, but this? c'mon, this is insane. This is just funny at this point. I must be a hack, but im sure he did shill some himself and got his 25 BTC. Then he will claim "woops, wasn't me, I got hacked guys" after he got all that BTC. I think this could be his exit scam to

1) End up with the BTC
2) Don't damage his reputation by being an altcoin shiller ("I was hacked guys I promise")

Haha I saw this. He was pushing like 10 different coins within an hour yesterday.Then he claimed his twitter got hacked.

Because actually his statement was he would only suggest 1 coin a week from now. It was a bit weird, first I thought he wanted to trick the bots but then he should have told the real people who read it so.......

It was amazing to be part of Bitcointalk for a little while. Thankyou. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5316241.0
xenomorphe1

Activity: 798
Merit: 103

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 05:52:07 PM

I think the pump was not just due to McAfee. Because we also see a lot of pump of coins worth less than 100 satochis. Like DigitalNote, Dogecoin, ReddCoin. Maybe thoses coins had to be pumped? But Verge did pump much more than usual because of the tweet of McAfee i think.
geo43

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 06:00:55 PM

He definitely has been pumping Verge..its down another 25% today because he probably dumped at the peak.
jacafbiz

Activity: 2086
Merit: 530

Enterapp Pre-Sale Live - bit.ly/3UrMCWI

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 06:10:46 PM

I can't say it is only because of McAfee picks, but it help to pump the price, this just shows the level of sheep mentality in this space, do be surprise to see the price dumped significantly soon because the grow seems artificial

█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
CryptoBuds
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1042

HODL

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 06:14:53 PM

I like Verge, but I suppose that this pump was just because of McAfee tweet, nothing more. Of course it's not the natural growth. Frankly it's very pity that one person has so much influence to the whole market. It's not the way how it should be at the market!

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: