Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 12:07:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Did Verge pump only because of McAfee?  (Read 679 times)
thejaytiesto (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 04:21:54 PM

I was looking for some altcoins to use as an example of altcoin that actually goes up against BTC, and not only against USD (while depreciating your BTC long position if you had any, see my thread here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2641352.msg26890562#msg26890562)

Someone told me about Verge, which had an impressive pump against BTC:

Sure, now it's crashing a bit, but cmon, this is insane, this coin was flaaaaaat for ages, and all of a sudden, McAfee tweets it and creates a multi billion dollar marketcap increase?

Does this guy's endorsed tweets have that much power to pump a coin, or is there any fundamentals that are interesting enough in Verge that made people invest as they found out about the coin? These volume increases are not even half normal. On Dec 11, Verge was a $100 million project, on Dec 24, it peaked at near $3.5 billion.... what do we have here?

Raist

Activity: 490
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 05:18:48 PM

Yep that was strange. Even went to their website trying to understand what was going on. The only thing that I have understood for sure that there are problems inside their development team nothing more.
CryptosapienZA

Activity: 378
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 05:48:12 PM

I was looking for some altcoins to use as an example of altcoin that actually goes up against BTC, and not only against USD (while depreciating your BTC long position if you had any, see my thread here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2641352.msg26890562#msg26890562)

Sure, now it's crashing a bit, but cmon, this is insane, this coin was flaaaaaat for ages, and all of a sudden, McAfee tweets it and creates a multi billion dollar marketcap increase?

Does this guy's endorsed tweets have that much power to pump a coin, or is there any fundamentals that are interesting enough in Verge that made people invest as they found out about the coin? These volume increases are not even half normal. On Dec 11, Verge was a $100 million project, on Dec 24, it peaked at near $3.5 billion.... what do we have here?

I can only speak for myself. I had bought Verge, out of the blue 8 days ago. I didn't buy it because of him. I didn't even know he had pumped the coin until I checked my blockfolio. However I do think he did have something to do with the pump especially after looking at other coins he had pumped.
coolcountry

Activity: 154
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 06:01:05 PM

I think McAfee alone does not have that much power to pump a coin that much. Even before the huge pump, the price of the coin had been increasing for a few days, and McAfee's tweet may have triggered some chain reaction. I have some XVG as well, and these alleged problems within the development team have started to get me thinking about unloading the coins once the price goes back up again.

Marco Ambrusini

Activity: 364
Merit: 105

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 06:07:28 PM

XVG was already on the verge of rising before McAfee started with the hype.I still XVG is a good coin and has good prospects for 2018.
madtea

Activity: 294
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 06:12:37 PM

Mr McAfee of course... no other real reason that I can see but Mr crypto telling all of the newbies to buy some
leea-1334

Activity: 2268
Merit: 953

Temporary forum vacation

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 06:21:33 PM

No, not McAfee alone, but a combination of several hypers. I actually noticed a lot of noise going on in the forum, mostly by newbie accounts with spammy history, and then I think Verge paid for a lot of press releases, as they came out over a few days on a number of new agencies.

And THEN McAfee came along and talked it up, and in fact a lot of the same news agencies carried that very news. I love anonymous coins of course, I have my own. And maybe Verge can be special, but other than a pump coin for profit? I do not think so, not personally.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████░░██████████████████████████░░███████████████████
███████████████░░██████████████████████████░░█████████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░██░░██░░░░░░░░░░██░░███████████████
███████████████████░░░░░░██░░██████░░░░░░██░░█████████████████
█████████████████████░░░░░░██████████░░░░░░███████████████████

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.....I AM BLACKJACK.FUN.....
█████████████░░██████████████████████████░░███████████████████
███████████████░░██████████████████████████░░█████████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░██░░██░░░░░░░░░░██░░███████████████
███████████████████░░░░░░██░░██████░░░░░░██░░█████████████████
█████████████████████░░░░░░██████████░░░░░░███████████████████

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
commanderbitcoin

Activity: 238

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 06:29:32 PM

It is a combination of the features of XVG and MCafee endorsement. With that scenario a coin usually pumped up. You still have to be very careful when buying a coin and do your own homework.

cryptamod

Activity: 196

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 06:56:20 PM

There are some rumours that he is getting 25btc every coin he twitter + 15% coin shares,he is a manipulator like roger ver the coins he twitted are being dump right now because of the BTC movements.

TWITTER ◣                                ☆ FLUX ☆                             ◢ WHITEPAPER  ◤   17 - 24
       WEBSITE ◣                    GAMING ECOSYSTEM                     ◢ MEDIUM                 April     
           TELEGRAM ◣     VALVE ✧ UBISOFT ✧ Origin ✧ GAMELOFT    ◢ FACEBOOK        Public Sale ◢   
~Bitcoin~
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 06:57:05 PM

I think McAfee alone does not have that much power to pump a coin that much. Even before the huge pump, the price of the coin had been increasing for a few days, and McAfee's tweet may have triggered some chain reaction. I have some XVG as well, and these alleged problems within the development team have started to get me thinking about unloading the coins once the price goes back up again.
Price will not go back up again for sure as XVG doesn't have strong buy support, the biggest pump on crypto history gonna end up with biggest dump. Price has already dumped  hard in terms of bitcoin and it is still on free fall.

I might catch some at between 300 to 500 sat per XVG range.

thejaytiesto (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 07:03:16 PM

No, not McAfee alone, but a combination of several hypers. I actually noticed a lot of noise going on in the forum, mostly by newbie accounts with spammy history, and then I think Verge paid for a lot of press releases, as they came out over a few days on a number of new agencies.

And THEN McAfee came along and talked it up, and in fact a lot of the same news agencies carried that very news. I love anonymous coins of course, I have my own. And maybe Verge can be special, but other than a pump coin for profit? I do not think so, not personally.

So from the replies here, nobody has given any fundamental reasons other than a marketing hypejob. I don't believe in coincidences (well I do, but this is one I would not believe), as in, they probably paid some webpages to get some traffic going, then to trigger a chain reaction, they paid McAfee to make the tweet which made speculators go full FOMO. Other than this... nobody is mentioning technology, nobody is mentioning why XVG improves the life of their users, I see no substance.
BogdanGFTP

Activity: 504

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 07:10:47 PM

I think he just doing big money after his tweets
NorihiroName

Activity: 420

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 07:11:55 PM

I'm so tired of this guy - McAfee - he speaks so much... it seems to be just like you said...

▀▀▀▀▀▀     SWIPE  │ Monetizing mobile engagement data, on the blockchain    ▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄▄▄         Whitepaper       Telegram       Twitter       Medium       Reddit          ▄▄▄▄
TimtheYoutuber

Activity: 1708
Merit: 125

www.positivebetting.com

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2017, 07:16:42 PM

I have not done to much research into it, but it doesnt look like disruptive technology so it is just another general coin to me. John loves to pump coins and lots of sheep follow it so I wouldnt be surprised if he was the sole reason it jumped.

Positivebetting
Yana_M1

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:19:20 PM

I do not know what has to do with this McAfee. But my wallet has been loaded for three days - there's something strange about it.
Qrivium

Activity: 112
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:29:49 PM

He certainly played a part
Saimabutterfly

Activity: 257
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:44:19 PM

Its pretty strange, I really have no clue why it got pumped. McAfee is an idiot and I dont think he can do magics like this to pump any dead coin.

SEMUX   -   An innovative high-performance blockchain platform  
▬▬▬▬▬      Powered by Semux BFT consensus algorithm      ▬▬▬▬▬
Github    -    Discord    -    Twitter    -    Telegram    -    Get Free Airdrop Now!
CryptoKyddie

Activity: 182
Merit: 15

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:46:18 PM

Verge was going to pump one day and Mcaffe just pushed it over the edge. There was lots and lots of chatter about Verge before the twitter news. I guess its just a mix of a variety of things resulting in this pump.
lovesybitz

Activity: 868
Merit: 289

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 09:10:58 PM

It is obviously just a hyped only, And McAfee was not alone there is a lot of people behind it, it can be the group of pumpers who back up with him. But this is just only thought. However, xvg actually was a good altcoin but when the dev is not active it became silent then all of sudden it just pumped rapidly.
TheBeardedBaby
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 3134

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 09:30:13 PM

He has this "coin of the day" thing so every day he tweets info for different coin. Almost half a million people are following him, and big part of them are asking what to buy almost constantly. Maybe he get some % to promote  certain coins, but he is definitely able to move the markets.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: