Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 10:11:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone Random Trademarked "bitcoin" : Now we can't use the term?  (Read 36965 times)
w1R903

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 01:00:35 PM

Can a moderator please delete the teenager " assassination market"  posts?  I agree this guy's an asshole and I'd love to see him disciplined or disbarred for making a trademark claim in bad faith (not that that's likely), but can we please try to maintain at least a veneer of morality here?

You people posting assassination market posts fail to realize that it's not a funny joke.  I'm sure your teenage friends are laughing it up, but in the grown-up world we're disgusted.

4096R/F5EA0017

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 01:04:40 PM

Can a moderator please delete the teenager " assassination market"  posts?

in the grown-up world we're disgusted.

Can a mod delete the facist censorship posts? In the free world, it's censorship that disgusts us most.

(And yes I do see the irony in this post)

w1R903

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 01:07:18 PM

Really?  Censorship disgusts you more than calls for murder?  I guess that sums up your character.

4096R/F5EA0017
Alex Beckenham

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 01:11:25 PM

Really?  Censorship disgusts you more than calls for murder?  I guess that sums up your character.

Pretty much. I can't think of anything more vile.

I think people should be free to call for murder any time, any place... it's just speech, not violence.

Brutus

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 01:11:48 PM

maybe we can just avoid all this nonsense - change the name - and do it right this time.

Bah. Honestly it would be seriously counter to the spirit of Bitcoin if we trademarked the name. No one person should hold licensing rights to a decentralized currency that we all helped build.

I agree.  The Apache folks created a foundation to hold some of their trademarks and such but it just rubs me the wrong way as bitcoin should remain as OS and decentralized as possible.

I'm still of the opinion that the trademark will not stand as bitcoin was already in common use well before this guy tried to TM it.
joepie91

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 01:19:41 PM

Can a moderator please delete the teenager " assassination market"  posts?  I agree this guy's an asshole and I'd love to see him disciplined or disbarred for making a trademark claim in bad faith (not that that's likely), but can we please try to maintain at least a veneer of morality here?

You people posting assassination market posts fail to realize that it's not a funny joke.  I'm sure your teenage friends are laughing it up, but in the grown-up world we're disgusted.
Personally I don't even see it as a joke, but as a good display of what people think and/or what their opinions/morals are. Should his post be deleted because you don't agree with him? Should his post be deleted because it shows the 'bad' side of a person?

As a 'grown-up', you should be able to deal with seeing the less nice side of a person, even if it offends you. Noone is forcing you to look and stare at that post.

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
w1R903

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 01:28:56 PM

Just to be clear, I'm not concerned about whether it offends me or not.  I think it should be deleted because:

1.  It's bad for Bitcoin.

2.  You're threatening an actual person, with family, maybe kids, etc.  He may be an asshole, but he doesn't deserve to have his life threatened. 

It's funny, you cry fascism, but in many ways your absolutist world view and view on violent speech closely mirrors the *real-life* fascism I came face to face with in ex-Yugoslavia in the 1990s.

4096R/F5EA0017
Alex Beckenham

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 01:36:11 PM

violent speech

Unless you're taking a megaphone to someone eardrum, I don't believe there exists such a thing.

proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 01:36:22 PM

I agree with you that that post is over the line, and I wish blitz hadn't of made it.  Of course, it's up to the mods what to do with it, if anything.  And, just to be clear, I think the lawyer is definitely a douche.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 01:39:21 PM

violent speech

Unless you're taking a megaphone to someone eardrum, I don't believe there exists such a thing.

If that were a true threat of violence it would not be protected speech under the first amendment.  I think, however, that blitz's post, in context, would be considered hyperbolic, and, thus, protected.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
bitbetter

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

I want to feel your empty heart.

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 01:40:37 PM

I dont think people could get a joke if it shat right on their head.

BitBetter | where your BitCoins are fun
12f4jinRUaqsHTn2mrDSxzkw9AQ9WBLwtX
pokwer

Activity: 36

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 02:01:44 PM

Just to be clear, I'm not concerned about whether it offends me or not.  I think it should be deleted because:

1.  It's bad for Bitcoin.

2.  You're threatening an actual person, with family, maybe kids, etc.  He may be an asshole, but he doesn't deserve to have his life threatened. 

It's funny, you cry fascism, but in many ways your absolutist world view and view on violent speech closely mirrors the *real-life* fascism I came face to face with in ex-Yugoslavia in the 1990s.

Well said.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 02:08:46 PM

I think that you guys are really overreacting.  It's as likely as not, that this lawyer trademarked Bitcoin in defense of the bitcoin community, before anyone else with ill intent did so.  After all, there are lawyers on this forum.  Perhaps there was an unaddressed legal threat there, that this lawyer knew that he could do something about.  Has anyone bothered to ask him his intent?  It's not like his email address isn't all over his website.  He's certainly not anonymous.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
joepie91

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 02:39:29 PM

I think that you guys are really overreacting.  It's as likely as not, that this lawyer trademarked Bitcoin in defense of the bitcoin community, before anyone else with ill intent did so.  After all, there are lawyers on this forum.  Perhaps there was an unaddressed legal threat there, that this lawyer knew that he could do something about.  Has anyone bothered to ask him his intent?  It's not like his email address isn't all over his website.  He's certainly not anonymous.
Did you read his response on Slashdot? It certainly didn't sound like someone trying to represent the interest of the community.

EDIT: Disregard, I meant ycombinator.

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
kloinko1n

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 02:57:12 PM

Chill out men!
If this lawyer claims that no one can prove they transact with bitcoins, then how can HE prove they did, in order to cash out from his claim?
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 03:05:38 PM

Can a moderator please delete the teenager " assassination market"  posts? 

I fully agree.  This is perceived as an "official" forum. We should maket it clear that the vast majority of the bitcoin community utterly condemns the initiation of violence.

What is needed is an ostracism market.   

If being an asshole (even if technically legal) hurt people's and corporations' reputation more it would also hurt their business.  Then they would think twice about being assholes.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
mouse

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 03:06:43 PM

maybe he got in at 30, is in a shitload of debt, and this is his last ditch effort to drive the price up
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 03:07:56 PM

I think that you guys are really overreacting.  It's as likely as not, that this lawyer trademarked Bitcoin in defense of the bitcoin community, before anyone else with ill intent did so.  After all, there are lawyers on this forum.  Perhaps there was an unaddressed legal threat there, that this lawyer knew that he could do something about.  Has anyone bothered to ask him his intent?  It's not like his email address isn't all over his website.  He's certainly not anonymous.

Do you really belive that?  Do you seriously think someone who had intentions of 'protecting' Bitcoin would do so without saying anything to any one? And, would they be so defensive to respond with this, http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2737435

For a well educated lawyer type his spelling and grammar sure went all to hell in his response..

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Alex Beckenham

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 03:09:52 PM

We should maket it clear that the vast majority of the bitcoin community utterly condemns the initiation of violence.

Absolutely. I utterly condemn the initiation of violence.

But feel free to talk about it Smiley

Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 03:12:32 PM

I think that you guys are really overreacting.  It's as likely as not, that this lawyer trademarked Bitcoin in defense of the bitcoin community, before anyone else with ill intent did so. 

No he didn't. His intentions are perfectly clear from the snooty response he posted.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: