Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:50:43 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [XPM] Automated yPool VPS Miner Setup Script (Beta)  (Read 5145 times)
gigawatt (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 05:40:37 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2013, 08:15:38 PM by gigawatt

This guide will be a bit shorter than the last two, mainly because I'd consider this in "beta" right now.  For the time being, I wouldn't consider it 100% "noobproof".

The key differences between my previous guides and this one are:
  • When you sign up for your DigitalOcean or Linode account, you must select a 32-bit version of Ubuntu 13.04, not a 64-bit one.  jhPrimeminer was built for windows, so to run it on a *nix VPS it needs to run on Wine.  Wine has major issues installing on 64-bit Ubuntu.
  • Because this installation uses Wine, there's a limitation when it comes to running the miner.  You can either:
    • Watch the miner as it runs in the foreground, but have it stop if you close your session
    • Have the miner running in the background regardless of if you're connected but not be able to watch live results
    • Have the miner running in the background, be able to watch live results, but have the miner run at half speed
  • This setup opts for the 2nd option.  The miner runs in the background and you can check your progress on yPool.net

Getting Down to Business
  • When you create your VPS node, be sure to select Ubuntu 13.04 x32 (not x64)
  • Copy this script to notepad and modify the fields at the top of the script. (Highlighted version)
    • YPOOL_USERNAME is your yPool username AND worker.  It usually looks like "username.workername".
    • YPOOL_PASSWORD is your yPool worker's password, not your login password.  Usually, it's "x".
    • YPOOL_SIEVESIZE and YPOOL_PRIMES are parameters for jhPrimeminer
  • Connect to your VPS node via PuTTY, then paste the script.
  • Once the script finishes, run ./peek to verify that the jhPrimeminer process is running in the background

Notes
If the parameters for jhPrimeminer change (or if you decide to use a different mining client), you'll need to modify the ./miner script and add them.
The ./miner script automatically detects the number of CPU cores available and utilizes all of them.  This works regardless of if you've selected a 1 CPU plan or an 8 CPU plan.

If you get a message about accepting an EULA, press TAB to highlight the OK button, then press SPACE.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions, but do keep in mind even though this script is tested and working, it's still currently in a beta phase.
Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.  Enjoy your Primecoins!  Cool

BTC: 1E2egHUcLDAmcxcqZqpL18TPLx9Xj1akcV   Ψ: AWHJbwoM67Ez12SHH4pH5DnJKPoMSdvLz2   Primecoin All-In-One VPS Setup Script   Quarkcoin All-In-One VPS Setup Script   Metiscoin VPS Pool Mining Script
jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2013, 06:21:54 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2013, 06:35:01 PM by jdebunt

testing this right now on a linode, we'll see how it goes Smiley

Edit : you might get prompted with a EULA & asked to accept the terms, just press <TAB> and Enter to 'press' OK in Putty Smiley
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 06:47:03 PM

I am trying aswell.  Thank you for the great Script's!
gigawatt (OP)

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 08:13:38 PM

testing this right now on a linode, we'll see how it goes Smiley

Edit : you might get prompted with a EULA & asked to accept the terms, just press <TAB> and Enter to 'press' OK in Putty Smiley

I totally forgot that I had to deal with that.  I actually had to go look it up myself.
I'll update the guide.

BTC: 1E2egHUcLDAmcxcqZqpL18TPLx9Xj1akcV   Ψ: AWHJbwoM67Ez12SHH4pH5DnJKPoMSdvLz2   Primecoin All-In-One VPS Setup Script   Quarkcoin All-In-One VPS Setup Script   Metiscoin VPS Pool Mining Script
pyromaniac

Activity: 639
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 05:58:39 PM

I've just ordered a cheap VPS from other company, who don't provide Gnome, or any other Xorg components for their server. Wine, AFAIK, uses Gnome or something alike. So I'm strongly need a linux x64 miner. How can I build it for linux from souce?
Why it's still windows only?

superfluouso

Activity: 201

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 05:56:11 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2013, 06:25:10 PM by superfluouso

Thanks for the script gigawatt!

Appears to be working well on my linode vps.  However, on my digital ocean vps, although the miner is running, ypool reports that it is not.  Will continue to play with things - in the meantime, thanks!

edit - one other question.  If I need to restart my vps or it crashes, what should be run to start the miner with option 2 scenario?  Obviously running ./miner puts me in an option 1 scenario.

Thanks

edit2: Nevermind - I'm an idiot:   ./start-miner
superfluouso

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 06:53:32 PM

Just some more feedback - EC2 microinstances appear to barf on wine but not sure why. 
paymetodostuff

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 08:10:38 PM

Script works well for me on digitalocean as long as I keep putty open. However, as soon as I close out of putty jhprimeminer stops running.
superfluouso

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 06:22:12 AM

I just run via ssh in mac terminal and leave it running...seems to run for long periods of time but then sometimes I find I need to reissue ./start-mining command to get it to register shares on ypool and get the green checkmark to show up next to the worker...

Already wondering if its better to stick to solo mining..With one VPS, I would at least get 1 maybe 2 blocks a week..at this rate with pool mining, I'll be lucky if I generate 1 or 2 XPM in a week..
Sy
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Bounty Detective

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 10:41:56 AM

Have the miner running in the background, be able to watch live results, but have the miner run at half speed

Why's that? Never heared that screen reduces speed...

BOUNTY DETECTIVE