Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:17:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Nigeria may be forced to adopt bitcoin  (Read 7461 times)
billyjoeallen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2011, 07:57:10 PM

After getting my Nth Nigerian scam email, it occurred to me that nobody sane would be willing to do business with anyone in Nigeria using PayPal, eChecks or even Mastercard. Nigerians may be forced to use Bitcoin because it's the only form of payment anyone can trust!

I certainly know it's the only way I would sell anything to a Nigerian.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
1.21gigawatts

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 08:02:28 PM

title of thread is misleading
ampkZjWDQcqT

Activity: 70

GNU is not UNIX

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 08:04:39 PM

Please note not all nigerians are criminals. Some people from Nigeria are, that's true for any country or social group.

There is a related essay in http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/my_doom.html.

If you found my comment useful please express your gratitude by doing an action of similar magnitude towards a better society. Thanks you!.
PCRon

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 08:06:39 PM

After getting my Nth Nigerian scam email, it occurred to me that nobody sane would be willing to do business with anyone in Nigeria using PayPal, eChecks or even Mastercard. Nigerians may be forced to use Bitcoin because it's the only form of payment anyone can trust!

Wait, are you saying the Nigerian Prince has Bitcoin he wants me to redeem for him?
airdata

Activity: 1148
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 08:16:21 PM

i've requested payment via paypal to the last few scam emails I've gotten.

Still waiting for a serious response.

▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  █████████████████▀      ▀████████████████▀      ▀████████
▄█████████     ████████████████   ▄██▄   ██████████████   ▄██▄   ███████▄
████████████   ███████████████████████   ████████████████████▀   ████████
████████████   █████████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████     █████████
████████████   ███████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████████▄   ████████
▀███████████   █████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████   ▀██▀   ███████▀
███████████   ████████████████          ███████████████▄      ▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀
......swap...Swap, Earn, Bridge, Mint Crypto
& NFT in Multiple Chains
...MVP LIVE...
static

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 08:37:48 PM

dumb thread
billyjoeallen (OP)
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2011, 08:40:13 PM

i've requested payment via paypal to the last few scam emails I've gotten.

Still waiting for a serious response.

I've gotten fake emails from someone claiming to be Paypal that stated the payment was received! I logged into my real Paypal account and the balance was zero. Of course I never shipped the product, but it was an impressive 2 part scam.

insert coin here:

billyjoeallen (OP)
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2011, 08:45:23 PM

title of thread is misleading

Should I have written "forced by economic necessity"? That would have been too verbose.

I'm not saying there are no honest people in Nigeria. I am saying there is no easy way to distinguish them from the crooks. Bitcoin allows us to do business with any Nigerian without the risk of a fraudulent chargeback, reversed payment from a stolen credit card, forged check, counterfeit bills, etc.

insert coin here:

Steve

Activity: 868

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2011, 08:54:10 PM

This is a very good point...it is hard to sell using traditional payment methods to people in some countries due to the level of fraud.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 09:11:16 PM

Please note not all nigerians are criminals. Some people from Nigeria are, that's true for any country or social group.

I have 2nd hand knowledge about life in Nigeria. Its full of scammers, thieves, and corruption. You can't drive 30 miles without running into a roadblock manned by thugs, government or otherwise, who will let you live if you pay the toll. Heaven help you if you actually need something from the government. They will delay delay delay until you flash some American dollar.

That said, bitcoin in Africa? Not bloody likely. They are lucky when the power stays on long enough to cook supper.

I just registered for the $PLOTS presale! Thank you @plotsfinance for allowing me to purchase tokens at the discounted valuation of only $0.015 per token, a special offer for anyone who participated in the airdrop. Tier II round is for the public at $0.025 per token. Allocation is very limited and you need to register first using the official Part III link found on their twitter. Register using my referral code CPB5 to receive 2,500 points.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2011, 09:41:38 PM

Wait, are you saying the Nigerian Prince has Bitcoin he wants me to redeem for him?

...I am a civil adviser currently working with the monitoring committee overseeing the winding up of the petroleum trust fund (PTF). Myself and my close and trusted colleagues need your assistance in the transfer of 25,000,000 BTC into any reliable Account you may nominate overseas. This fund was generated from...
ampkZjWDQcqT

GNU is not UNIX

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 09:50:21 PM

I have 2nd hand knowledge about life in Nigeria. Its full of scammers, thieves, and corruption. You can't drive 30 miles without running into a roadblock manned by thugs, government or otherwise, who will let you live if you pay the toll. Heaven help you if you actually need something from the government. They will delay delay delay until you flash some American dollar.

That said, bitcoin in Africa? Not bloody likely. They are lucky when the power stays on long enough to cook supper.

I don't know how Nigeria is. The point isn't whether Nigeria is peaceful or hostile, rather than we shouldn't assume everybody will share the same features (Being a criminal in this case) even when most people do.

If you found my comment useful please express your gratitude by doing an action of similar magnitude towards a better society. Thanks you!.
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 09:55:17 PM

No, they aren't. You're right.
But certain countries have an unacceptable history of internet fraud (statistically).  So most online retailers block them from purchasing anything

(Romania, Nigeria, Pakistan, Zimbabwe, Ukraine, Bangladesh)

If any of these countries started using bitcoins for their online purchases, everyone would ship there. Since bitcoins can't be reversed in any possible way, the seller is 100% protected against fraud,
and scammers are unlikely to purchase anything because they realize they can't cheat the seller.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
blogospheroid

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:25:16 AM

But certain countries have an unacceptable history of internet fraud (statistically).  So most online retailers block them from purchasing anything
If any of these countries started using bitcoins for their online purchases, everyone would ship there. Since bitcoins can't be reversed in any possible way, the seller is 100% protected against fraud,
and scammers are unlikely to purchase anything because they realize they can't cheat the seller.

Amazing food for thought, Billyjoeallen and Jack. This was a truly new idea/thought for the day relating to bitcoin. This coin HAS LEGS. It will last, in niches unimagined by us now. As hardy as the bloody cockroach! As long as power supply and network protocols exist, this coin will last.
Sandoz

Activity: 85

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 06:49:47 PM

The sad thing is that everyone would scam them.. They pay, you don't send them anything..
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 06:55:36 PM

The sad thing is that everyone would scam them.. They pay, you don't send them anything..

Reputation systems eliminate this risk even on anonymous sites like Silkroad, let alone 'legit' sites on the real internet.

Only buy from people who are proven to send merchandise. Always make a small first purchase then gradually move upwards.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
ampkZjWDQcqT

GNU is not UNIX

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 08:26:38 PM

Hmm, real internet? I wasn't aware of the existence of a fake one.

NO_SLAVE

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 08:28:46 PM

dumb thread

yep^^^
Tasty Champa

Activity: 84

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 08:39:55 PM