Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 03:25:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: DATA - Authority or Association?  (Read 5483 times)
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 05:34:23 PM

Joe,

FYI,

I've have met most of the people on that list at conferences or I've seen them giving talks on line and I've never seen any one of those people on that list wear a suit.

joecooin

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 05:42:27 PM
Last edit: April 29, 2020, 12:40:59 PM by mprep

Hey joe. Did you have a credit card 15 years ago? You are right to point out the trivial: they don't "eat it" they distribute it (again, a presumption...but it's not worth the time to discuss). The non-trivial point is that the individual card holder used to be on the hook for fraud.

That is correct. And that means, that everyone who wants to use a paymnent system that offers reversability of transactions already has a list of options to choose from. Why then introduce something like that to a crypto currency (which, by the way, would make me as a retailer subject to the same chargeback frauds that I suffer from credit cards, which is why I don't accept them)?

Please clarify this for me: are you actually suggesting to implement reversability of transactions to the Bitcoin protocol in order to protect consumers from fraud?

Joe

Joe,

FYI,

I've have met most of the people on that list at conferences or I've seen them giving talks on line and I've never seen any one of those people on that list wear a suit.

Oh please don't be so picky and allow me some metaphorical and rhetorical fun, will you please!? Wink

Just imagine they are actually suits hiding in Bitcoin-t-shirts, like a wolf in a sheepskin, get me? Smiley

Joe

Try to relax Joe.  Everything is going to be alright.  I certainly wasn't trying to directly offend you, but if you felt like I was talking to you, then I was.   Tongue

Thanks for clarifying this.

In a discussion I would only tell the other party to 'try to relax' if I wanted to implicate that he / she is to stressed out to make a valuable point. And 'everything is going to be allright' is something I only say to little children or to someone who just suffered heavy injury or if I had no other way to marginalise the other point of view with an argument.

But then that's only me Wink.

Joe

PS: I am indeed perfectly relaxed, it is far too hot for any kind of stress around here this summer ...

Coinseeker

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 06:05:29 PM

Try to relax Joe.  Everything is going to be alright.  I certainly wasn't trying to directly offend you, but if you felt like I was talking to you, then I was.   Tongue

In a discussion I would only tell the other party to 'try to relax' if I wanted to implicate that he / she is to stressed out to make a valuable point. And 'everything is going to be allright' is something I only say to little children or to someone who just suffered heavy injury or if I had no other way to marginalise the other point of view with an argument.

Joe

PS: I am indeed perfectly relaxed, it is far too hot for any kind of stress around here this summer ...

Grin. Oh good...a sense of humor.  I can dig it.   Cool

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
nameface

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 06:09:55 PM

Try to relax Joe.  Everything is going to be alright.  I certainly wasn't trying to directly offend you, but if you felt like I was talking to you, then I was.   Tongue

Joe

Grin. Oh good...a sense of humor.  I can dig it.   Cool
+1  Cool I think many of us here have a lot in common ideologically. It's the functional 'getting-shit-done' level that I'm trying to attain.

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is
that a warrior takes everything as a challenge, while an ordinary
man takes everything as a blessing or as a curse.” -Don Juan Matus
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 09:18:41 PM
Last edit: August 07, 2013, 09:49:23 PM by TheButterZone

I'm reading this thinking, "This is the dumbest ish ever."  Then I see Ayn Rand at the bottom and say, "Oh, well that figures."   Please join humanity.   Roll Eyes

If you think quoting Ayn Rand makes someone inhuman, then try this Orwell quote:
"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face, forever."

Our "compromise" on the make and model of the boot does not remove the boot from our faces. Orwell's future is now, as long as we allow it.

Just heard this quoted on the latest Penn's Sunday School:

There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil. The man who is wrong still retains some respect for truth, if only by accepting the responsibility of choice. But the man in the middle is the knave who blanks out the truth in order to pretend that no choice or values exist, who is willing to sit out the course of any battle, willing to cash in on the blood of the innocent or to crawl on his belly to the guilty, who dispenses justice by condemning both the robber and the robbed to jail, who solves conflicts by ordering the thinker and the fool to meet each other halfway. In any compromise between food and poison, it is only death that can win. In any compromise between good and evil, it is only evil that can profit. In that transfusion of blood which drains the good to feed the evil, the compromiser is the transmitting rubber tube . . .

When men reduce their virtues to the approximate, then evil acquires the force of an absolute, when loyalty to an unyielding purpose is dropped by the virtuous, it’s picked up by scoundrels—and you get the indecent spectacle of a cringing, bargaining, traitorous good and a self-righteously uncompromising evil.

Galt’s Speech,
For the New Intellectual, 216
http://aynrandlexicon.com/lexicon/compromise.html
Is it just me, or is this quote meaningless rubbish providing no benefit because it cannot be applied to the conversation in any functional way.

Good and evil? Come on, what is this, the 15th century? We're talking about solutions to modern problems, not witches.

"Compromises" was the watch word in the post above mine. The modern problem, that if you give evil tyrants a fraction of an inch, they take googolplex light years away from every single liberty, has been proven ad nauseam et infinitum, beyond any reasonable doubt; in this case, it's economic liberty. Wasn't fucking the system back (with good) that constantly fucks all of us to death (with evil), the very reason bitcoin was created? Compromise is not an option unless you plan to say "stick a fork in it, bitcoin's done", well before all 21 million exist. I certainly hope appeasers will not make this an inevitability.

But hey, pretend that Argentina, et al, don't exist, and drinking the poison-pilled kool-aid will make bitcoin immortal.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Loozik

Activity: 378

Born to chew bubble gum and kick ass

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 12:57:19 AM

1. If someone dislikes the word ''authority'' used by people doing business as DATA, they can simply stop using Bitstamp as their exchange or they can stop using BitPay as their processor.

2. To my knowledge people doing business as DATA declared they only want to self-regulate (they may be anticipating a bureaucratic attack). No problem here. If however their future actions contradict their declarations (e.g. they will try to earn money by striking deals with the govs like guaranteeing monopolies or will co-operate with the govs in devising and / or enforcing regulations on other non-DATA businesses), anybody is free to apply ostracism to DATA businesses and boycott them, and anybody is welcome to create business with ''no talking to government'' sign imprinted in his business logo.

3. Assuming the very negative scenario in which people doing business as DATA lied about their intentions and will manage to fuck with the Bitcoin system (it's not their declared intention and I believe their declarations), simply a better currency with a government-proof protocol will be devised and Bitcoin will bite the dust.

4. Really there is nothing to get excited about.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 07:48:45 PM

About the PCI Security Standards Council

The PCI Security Standards Council is an open global forum, launched in 2006, that is responsible for the
-development,
-management,
-education, and
-awareness
of the PCI Security Standards, including the

-Data Security Standard (PCI DSS),
-Payment Application Data Security Standard (PA-DSS), and
-PIN Transaction Security (PTS) requirements.

The Council's five founding global payment brands --
*American Express,
*Discover Financial Services,
*JCB International,
*MasterCard Worldwide, and
*Visa Inc.
-- have agreed to incorporate the PCI DSS as the technical requirements of each of their data security compliance programs.

Each founding member also recognizes the
-QSAs,
-PA-QSAs and
-ASVs

certified by the PCI Security Standards Council.

All five payment brands, along with Strategic Members, share equally in the Council's governance, have equal input into the PCI Security Standards Council and share responsibility for carrying out the work of the organization. Other industry stakeholders are encouraged to join the Council as Strategic or Affiliate members and Participating Organizations to review proposed additions or modifications to the standards.

On this website you'll find useful information about the
-PCI Security Standards Council,
-the PCI DSS requirements for merchants,
-vendors and security consulting companies, and
-the Council's certification and merchant support services,
all created to mitigate data breaches and prevent payment cardholder data fraud.

**Note that enforcement of compliance with the PCI DSS and determination of any non-compliance penalties are carried out by the individual payment brands and not by the Council.

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/organization_info/index.php

An interesting discussion could be had about the structure and organization of this group.

An even larger discussion could be had about it's efficacy.

Again this was an industry reaction to systemic problem within an industry.

I only hope any bitcoin effort can me more meaningful and effective then just a bunch of additional hoops for adherents to jump through as PCI has proven to become.

Would it surprise you to learn that the same people behind pcisecuritystandards.org are about to open Bank of Guido Bitcoin in Switzerland and store YOUR bitcoins in some Swiss Alp mountain [cave]? Or, would you rather just have me back away from the keyboard since you know exactly what you're gettin' into?

"Give me sec, please. First, I need to find out who this Gleb dude is."
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: