Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:39:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Android Released!  (Read 7444 times)
bitcoinandroid (OP)

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 03:58:20 AM

What happens if i use it on 2 phones? I guess the wallet backup will get messed up if i use the same google account on both phones, right?

We actually haven't tested this yet.  In theory it should keep the wallet synced between the two phones correctly (Android is pretty good at this in general).  But I can't say for sure without testing it first.  Some additional logic might be needed.
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcoinandroid (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 04:03:31 AM

Is it possible to play with this on testnet?

No, we don't currently have an option for this.  But you could build a testnet app using the source from github (if you have an Android development environment setup with Eclipse etc): https://github.com/barmstrong/bitcoin-android

There is a simple boolean flag in ApplicationState.java

We should probably put up a testnet version on github or the Android Market.
bitcoinandroid (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 04:04:16 AM

Does it have an automatic amount for the transaction fee? I remember an app a little while ago that appeared to have a built in transaction fee of .01 btc.

No transaction fees are added.  Would be a nice option.
bitcoinandroid (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 04:04:50 AM

Did anyone figure out where the wallet.dat file is stored on the phone yet? Mine started forceclosing all of a sudden, and I want to back the wallet up before uninstalling and reinstalling the app, just in case when I uninstall it wipes my wallet with the brand new shiny Bitcoin in it :/

Yes it keeps the wallet on the phones internal memory.
bitcoinandroid (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 04:08:38 AM

Could anyone post a link in this original Android thread to send folks over to this thread?

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=1812.120

Being eligible for the bounty would obviously be nice.  Thanks!
bitcoinandroid (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 04:57:27 AM

This is kinda cool, Wired just ran a piece on it.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/07/bitcoin-android-app/
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 05:19:58 AM

How do I know that it's actually making progress downloading the blockchain?  And why not have a regularly updated app that is really just an archive of the blockchain headers?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 05:20:40 AM

Could anyone post a link in this original Android thread to send folks over to this thread?

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=1812.120

Being eligible for the bounty would obviously be nice.  Thanks!

I'm actually trying to determine that.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

silverchair

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 05:33:23 AM

Woooooooow! How I wish I have an Android. planning to have 1 though hihihi.

Hey Guys! WWW.FREEBITCOINS.ORG introduces "Epic December Contest" where you can Win Sweet Casascius Coins !!!
realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 07:46:27 AM

The wallet doesn't have coins in; it has keys in.  Therefore it doesn't matter how many coins are in that wallet when it is uploaded; it matters how many might be in it in the future.  It doesn't matter that it will be encrypted in the future, it matters that it's not encrypted now.

This is a great point, and we'd most likely force the creation of new receive addresses (and therefore keys) as part of an upgrade.  I believe this would solve it no?

You'd have to make sure you blanked all the pre-created addresses too; and of course that you didn't overwrite existing addresses which might have credit on them.  Then warn the user that they should transfer all the credit they have on those current addresses to one of the new, safe, ones.

That would probably do it.

I do like the idea of a wallet that is part of my google account; but I don't trust google enough to put real money in a place where I have to trust every employee who has access to their cloud storage (which will be a huge number of them).  The ideal solution then is a shared wallet with strong encryption using a password that I have to enter before sending any bitcoins.

It's still not perfect because you're relying on computing power never increasing sufficiently that your current secure password becomes insecure in the future.  Therefore you also need an option to not share the wallet in the cloud, and allow me to back it up manually should I so choose.

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
Andreas Schildbach

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 07:52:54 AM

Is it possible to play with this on testnet?

If you want to play on testnet, you should try Bitcoin Wallet for Android:

https://market.android.com/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet

It is open source, you can compile it for prodnet as well. I am searching for developers, translators and testers:

http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/

Cheers,

Andreas
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 01:27:53 PM

Did anyone figure out where the wallet.dat file is stored on the phone yet? Mine started forceclosing all of a sudden, and I want to back the wallet up before uninstalling and reinstalling the app, just in case when I uninstall it wipes my wallet with the brand new shiny Bitcoin in it :/

Yes it keeps the wallet on the phones internal memory.

I was hoping for a directory, like /etc/....
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 05:05:23 PM

Therefore you also need an option to not share the wallet in the cloud, and allow me to back it up manually should I so choose.

This program looks awesome!

But the 'backup wallet to cloud' feature is exactly what will stop me from using it yet.

Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 05:09:35 PM

Am I wrong or do they have this part backwards??

When you want to transfer Bitcoins to another account, a QR code pops up on your smartphone’s screen. The other user simply scans the QR code with his or her phone, and the Bitcoins are transferred to the second phone’s account.

The phone that 'pops up' a QR code would be the receiver.
The person scanning a QR code would be the sender.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 05:32:24 PM

Am I wrong or do they have this part backwards??

When you want to transfer Bitcoins to another account, a QR code pops up on your smartphone’s screen. The other user simply scans the QR code with his or her phone, and the Bitcoins are transferred to the second phone’s account.

The phone that 'pops up' a QR code would be the receiver.
The person scanning a QR code would be the sender.

You would be correct.

brandon@sourcewerks

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 05:37:31 PM

Nice app!
koopa

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 06:37:44 PM

This is really sweet. It's exactly the kind of thing that will bring Bitcoin to the masses, making transactions really simple.

Thanks for your continued work on this OP.  Grin

Grin
drsnuggles

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 07:59:44 PM

How long does it take for the payment to get processed?

I'm thinking of using this in a shop. You need payment processing in less than 3 seconds.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 08:14:40 PM

Has anyone been able to get this to do any more than spin?  Mine has been running since yesterday, has a 22 meg footprint, and still hasn't seen the coins that I sent it.  I'm using a Samsung Intercept, but it doesn't force close like Bitcoin Wallet did.

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 08:16:04 PM

How long does it take for the payment to get processed?

I'm thinking of using this in a shop. You need payment processing in less than 3 seconds.

When it was working (having some issues now), the payment would show up instantly with 0 confirmations, and would even show a notification and play a sound. Confirmations still took the normal time-to-find-a-block amount
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: