Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:43:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Android Released!  (Read 7444 times)
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 08:08:10 PM

This is actually one of the biggest advantages of bitcoin, I think.  If your real wallet gets stolen, with actual cash in, it's game over.  At least with bitcoin you've got a chance to steal it back before it gets spent.

+1. Exactly.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 04:13:47 AM

I have figured out why mine wasn't working.  The sleep mode was interupting the download.  If you are having this problem, plug your phone into it's charger, open the app, select 'refresh' from the settings menu, and then set the phone down near your wifi router and go to bed.  DO NOT hit the button to sleep the screen.  The app should have marched through the blockchain by morning, and daily updates only take a minute or so.  Also, after downloading the blockchain and finally seeing the coins that I sent it, I sent it more.  It took less time for the phone app to see the transaction than it took me to pull my finger from the mouse and pick up the phone.  Less than a second.  It was "pending" (not unconfirmed, I think that I like that description better) of course, but it knew that it was there.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
petemole83

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 04:18:37 AM

What a great idea, I'm opening market right now...
cinos11

Activity: 21

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 07:37:03 AM

I need to get the android first, rofl.
Been wanting it for the past few months.
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 05:25:38 PM

why is it so big?
That's what she said.

j/k.
It's the client, and a large chunk of the block chain (even at headers only, I imagine that gets pretty big)

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Distribution

Activity: 711

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 11:22:16 PM

I have figured out why mine wasn't working.  The sleep mode was interupting the download.  If you are having this problem, plug your phone into it's charger, open the app, select 'refresh' from the settings menu, and then set the phone down near your wifi router and go to bed.  DO NOT hit the button to sleep the screen.  The app should have marched through the blockchain by morning, and daily updates only take a minute or so.  Also, after downloading the blockchain and finally seeing the coins that I sent it, I sent it more.  It took less time for the phone app to see the transaction than it took me to pull my finger from the mouse and pick up the phone.  Less than a second.  It was "pending" (not unconfirmed, I think that I like that description better) of course, but it knew that it was there.

I wish this was my experience. Is anyone else having severe problems with this not sending or receiving Bitcoins?
Kintera

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 10:00:22 AM

i don't know i never could get this app to work right on my G2
BTCSports

Activity: 49

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 10:49:26 AM

Any plans to do a iPhone app?
frobley

Activity: 708

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 11:36:07 AM

i couldn't get it to work last week either -
on galaxy s, removed ALL bitcoin related apps and reboot -
installed this first and works fine. Miner widget and mtgox price thingy added, all still working today Grin love it
superpc

Activity: 55

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 11:41:54 AM

Any plans to do a iPhone app?
That's what I was wondering as well.  It would be nice to see a iPhone app then BitCoins could truely be on to a popular route.
Bert

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 11:41:59 AM

@bitcoinandroid great achievement. Now I wonder if anyone is working on an i*Randomword and WebOS version.

The only problem with an i*Randomword version is that if Apple allowed it, they would probably want a 30% cut of all transactions *evil grin*

*Phone/Touch/Pad/etc...

Tip jar: 1BW6kXgUjGrFTqEpyP8LpVEPQDLTkbATZ6
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 11:42:13 AM

Works great on my Virgin Mobile prepaid $25/mo Samsung Intercept. Well done.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
bitcoinandroid (OP)

Activity: 37

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 09:31:25 PM

Hi All,

We just released a version 1.1 with some fixes.

- support for up to 8 decimal places
- progress window shows status downloading blocks and connecting to peers
- fixed (hopefully) two bug causing crash reports
- added Russian, German, and Simplified Chinese translations (contributed by the community)

You can update it from the Android Market.  Or if you haven't installed it yet visit:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bitcoinandroid&feature=search_result

We also added the apk files to the Downloads section here if you don't have access to the Android Market:
https://github.com/barmstrong/bitcoin-android/archives/master

There is a testnet and production (regular) version there.
leeloulee

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 01:57:28 AM

Its about time this is awsome!

SGT longdong
jjjrmy

Activity: 221
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 05:44:36 AM

I saw this, does it work with my current wallet?
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 01:59:18 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2011, 02:38:43 PM by MoonShadow

No, they are both implemntations of the bitcoinj lightweight client on android.  Pretty much work the same, different UI.  I have them both, now.  They both seem to work fine on my Samsung Intercept, but they both take some time to download the blockchain.  

Beware, however, there is now a third such client knockoff on the market, and it could be a scam

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

Dragonportis

Activity: 51

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 01:28:17 PM

I installed the app in my SD but the blockchain seams is downloading to the internal phone memory, it stoped downloading at 22% and it only continue if i unisntall apps from my phone or move them to the SD card to make more space for the block chain, but it never end the download, I have 3.19 GB of free space in my SD and can't download the full block chain Sad.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 01:42:03 PM

I installed the app in my SD but the blockchain seams is downloading to the internal phone memory, it stoped downloading at 22% and it only continue if i unisntall apps from my phone or move them to the SD card to make more space for the block chain, but it never end the download, I have 3.19 GB of free space in my SD and can't download the full block chain Sad.

Somethings seriously wrong, then.  Mine is on my SD card, and my SD card is only 2 gig and does fine.

Huesos

Activity: 46

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 10:15:41 PM

Looks really cool I would really like one made for webOS though any news on plans for that yet?
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 10:48:25 PM

Looks really cool I would really like one made for webOS though any news on plans for that yet?

Not unless you're doing it.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: