Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:34:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help - Armory won't sync with Bitcoin Core - pathing?  (Read 370 times)
Marla_H (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 11:17:20 AM
Last edit: December 31, 2017, 02:08:37 PM by Marla_H

Hello -

I'm new and would appreciate any help.
About a month ago I transferred bitcoin from Coinbase to a newly opened wallet in Armory. I only started downloading the full node of Bitcoin Core afterwards, so my bitcoin were somewhere in the cloud-chain.... However, even now when Bitcoin Core is fully downloaded and running on my (external SSD on Windows 64 machine) - it won’t sync with Armory 0.96.3. (standard user) My wallet shows 0 balance and is usually "stuck" on the main screen with "preparing databases" and "Scan transaction history" showing no progress. Sometimes it says "Offline" in red but sometimes "online" in green. I tried the usual rebooting, re-installing etc. to no avail.

I read in the previoyus answers that I probably have a "pathing" problem, but I was not able to follow those instructions either. Can someone please explain in plain English, includinh EXACTLY how to fix the pathing?

many thanks
Marla

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 05:11:01 PM

https://btcarmory.com/docs/pathing

If that isn't plain enough English for you, try the following.

1. Right click the Armory shortcut.
2. Choose properties.
3. Click your cursor in the "target" field after Armory.
4. With a space after ArmoryQT.exe, enter the following:

Code:
--satoshi-datadir=D:/Bitcoin

"D:/Bitcoin" in the above is just my example, please enter the actual path to Core's folder on your external SSD.

Also, I would update to the latest release candidate stickied in this sub-forum as it contains many fixes. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2660500.0

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
Marla_H (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 10:29:29 AM

much appreciated. will try
Marla_H (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 12:31:59 PM

I downloaded 0.96.3.991 - thanks

Unfortunatly, I wasnt able to solve the problem using the fix you suggested. I recived an error message saying: "The name specified in the target box ....  is not valid.  make sure the path and file name are correct" - can you please show me EXACTLY what the "target" field is supposed to show?

also, now when i try to launch Armory it freezes on the splash screen, "ArmoryQT.exe is not responding"

I imagine these two issues are related ... Roll Eyes

clarification - I am only storing the Bitcoin Core info on the SSD (D:). Armory and Bitcoin Core program are on C:

help?
PhoenixFire

Activity: 270
Merit: 36

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 03:45:37 PM

I downloaded 0.96.3.991 - thanks

Unfortunatly, I wasnt able to solve the problem using the fix you suggested. I recived an error message saying: "The name specified in the target box ....  is not valid.  make sure the path and file name are correct" - can you please show me EXACTLY what the "target" field is supposed to show?

also, now when i try to launch Armory it freezes on the splash screen, "ArmoryQT.exe is not responding"

I imagine these two issues are related ... Roll Eyes

clarification - I am only storing the Bitcoin Core info on the SSD (D:). Armory and Bitcoin Core program are on C:

help?
The freezing on the splash screen is a known issue with RC2 on Windows. Either grab RC1, use the workaround in the pinned RC2 thread, or wait until goatpig can fix it.

As for your actual issue:
Where exactly has bitcoin core downloaded the blockchain? You said on an external SSD, but need more info than that.
Can't tell you exactly what it should look like because your setup will be different to mine. You can paste here what your target field looks like (with your attempted change) and we can help point out what might be wrong.

Probably the most important thing here is to post your log files on pastebin.com or another service and add the link here so we can see what is going wrong.
Marla_H (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 07:38:27 AM

ok -
so went back to o.96.3 and splash screen is ok
there is now some movement as well on the progress bars "building databases"...
the target field is currently:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Armory\ArmoryQt.exe"
and i tried
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Armory\ArmoryQt.exe --satoshi-datadir=D:/BitcoinCore" and got an error. "BitcoinCore" is what i named the folder on the SSD

which logs exactly should i post? also, no privacy risk with posting logs  Embarrassed?
PhoenixFire

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 02:31:17 PM
Last edit: January 02, 2018, 09:49:05 PM by PhoenixFire

ok -
so went back to o.96.3 and splash screen is ok
there is now some movement as well on the progress bars "building databases"...
the target field is currently:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Armory\ArmoryQt.exe"
and i tried
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Armory\ArmoryQt.exe --satoshi-datadir=D:/BitcoinCore" and got an error. "BitcoinCore" is what i named the folder on the SSD

which logs exactly should i post? also, no privacy risk with posting logs  Embarrassed?

Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Armory\ArmoryQt.exe" --satoshi-datadir=D:\BitcoinCore
Note where I've moved the second " and using a backslash rather than a forward slash.  If your external SSD is D:\ then that should do the job.
Some privacy loss with logs. Username and CPU info mostly. See whether the above helps or not first.
Marla_H (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 07:19:43 PM

ok -

the code worked perfectly, so that's ok
Armory loads fine and even goes through some motions of laoding the database
but it freezes well into the process. When I shut it down i get an error on "ArmoryQT.exe". it still does not find my Bitcoin and remains "offline" either all or most of the time. Bitcoin Core is running well

What logs EXACTLY should i be looking at and posting?

whats next?
MUCH appreciated
PhoenixFire

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 08:59:36 PM

For logs head to C:\Users\YourUsernameHere\AppData\Roaming\Armory (Or %appdata%\Armory)
Should see dbLog.txt and armorylog.txt there. Add those to pastebin (or cryptbin if preferred) and paste the links here.

Could you expand on how it is freezing? Is the UI failing to respond? Or is the progress failing to update?
If the latter, 0.96.3.99/0.96.4 RC1 has some fixes related to that. Newer than the current one you're using, older than the build Holliday suggested.
Marla_H (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 09:36:33 AM

ok - so im back to 0.96.3.99 RC1
now it freezes on "organizing blockchain" and stays on "Node Offline - 0 blocks"
also, never shuts down properly...

im posting the 2 logs:

https://pastebin.com/iKVUYsbj
https://pastebin.com/AemucaG7

any ideas?
thanks!  Huh
PhoenixFire

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 09:08:21 PM

My untrained eye doesn't see anything obviously wrong in the logs.

At this point I'd suggest turning off "Let Armory run Bitcoin Core in the background" (File -> Settings), then close Armory down. Make sure ArmoryDB isn't running in the background still (kill it if it is).

Manually start up Bitcoin Core's GUI and let it catch up with the network completely. It'll give you some estimates as to how long that'll be.
Once that it is all caught up, leave it open and start Armory. Armory should do its thing and scan for blocks - just leave it to get on with it for a while. Usually when I've had Armory fail to close down properly, ArmoryDB is busy scanning/organising.

Fingers crossed, it should flick over to being connected in green when that is done - assuming you have Core set up to take incoming connections and the RPC server enabled.

artur2000

Activity: 33

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 03:21:37 PM

Fingers crossed, it should flick over to being connected in green when that is done - assuming you have Core set up to take incoming connections and the RPC server enabled.

Hi, what do you mean by "RPC server enabled"? I do not see any option like that in QT wallet settings under Windows.
But I noticed, that if I check the Option "let armory run ... in background" then I have a process "bitcoind" running.
But if I uncheck the armory option mentioned above, run bitcoin-qt wallet along with armory, this process is not there, and armory just doesn't do enything - progress bars stay empty and no spinner whatsoever is there.

My Question is - can it be that the "RPC server" is the bitcoind process and that it isn't running?
PhoenixFire

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 08:16:43 PM

Hi, what do you mean by "RPC server enabled"? I do not see any option like that in QT wallet settings under Windows.
But I noticed, that if I check the Option "let armory run ... in background" then I have a process "bitcoind" running.
But if I uncheck the armory option mentioned above, run bitcoin-qt wallet along with armory, this process is not there, and armory just doesn't do enything - progress bars stay empty and no spinner whatsoever is there.

My Question is - can it be that the "RPC server" is the bitcoind process and that it isn't running?

If your setup is working, don't change anything - if you're having trouble it'd be best to start your own thread, as the problem isn't fixed here yet.

That said: When Armory is configured to manage Core, bitcoind is run in the background. This, as you suspected, provides a RPC server for Armory to query.
Sometimes something gets tripped up when Armory is configured to manage Core, and hence my suggestion to Marla_H.
In this situation, and without bitcoind, Bitcoin-qt can also provide a RPC server for Armory, but requires some config - which I apparently should have given in my last post. (Sorry!)

This can be done either by adding the following to a text file named bitcoin.conf in your Bitcoin Core data directory:
Code:
# Run RPC Server
server=1

# Accept Incoming
listen=1

Or adding the following to the end of your Bitcoin qt/Core shortcut:
Code:
 -server=1 -listen=1
Marla_H (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 07:32:00 PM

@Phoenixfire
no, luck with this fix
with "Let Armory run Bitcoin Core in the background" on "off" - Armory still launches and then freezes on "offline" and does not even start scanning for blocks
perhaps I did not understand "Manually start up Bitcoin Core's GUI"?
any other suggestions at this point?  Embarrassed
PhoenixFire

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 02:11:15 AM

@Phoenixfire
no, luck with this fix
with "Let Armory run Bitcoin Core in the background" on "off" - Armory still launches and then freezes on "offline" and does not even start scanning for blocks
perhaps I did not understand "Manually start up Bitcoin Core's GUI"?
any other suggestions at this point?  Embarrassed

So, you'll need to follow the instructions in the post I made just above yours. Either via a config file or editing a shortcut for Bitcoin Core.
For a config file, create a bitcoin.conf in D:\BitcoinCore\ and fill it with the first set.

Or for a shortcut... if you don't have one, create a shortcut to C:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe and add on the server and listen parts.

Then close Armory and Bitcoin Core. Start Bitcoin Core from that shortcut. Then start Armory.
Marla_H (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 12:44:59 PM

@Phoenixfire
no, luck with this fix either - i did the first option (new config text file)
Armory did it's thing for a while and showed progress, but now stuck on "organizing blockchain" and progress wheel is frozen
any ideas?
PhoenixFire

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 04:22:44 PM

@Phoenixfire
no, luck with this fix either - i did the first option (new config text file)
Armory did it's thing for a while and showed progress, but now stuck on "organizing blockchain" and progress wheel is frozen
any ideas?

Not sure. Could be something new in your logfiles. Would you mind posting fresh copies of them?
Marla_H (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 07:18:20 PM

sure. appreciate the help
https://pastebin.com/qcjJCfgg
https://pastebin.com/G6XrP8cF
anything look out of the ordinary?
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 07:30:57 PM

Code:
2018-01-08 09:44:53 (INFO) -- ArmoryQt.py:5456 - BDM is safe for clean shutdown
2018-01-08 09:44:53 (INFO) -- SDM.pyc:459 - Called stopBitcoind
2018-01-08 09:44:53 (WARNING) -- SDM.pyc:509 - bitcoind exited, bitcoind STDOUT:
2018-01-08 09:44:53 (WARNING) -- SDM.pyc:511 -
2018-01-08 09:44:53 (WARNING) -- SDM.pyc:512 - bitcoind exited, bitcoind STDERR:
2018-01-08 09:44:53 (WARNING) -- SDM.pyc:514 -
2018-01-08 09:44:53 (INFO) -- SDM.pyc:465 - ...but bitcoind is not running, to be able to stop

bitcoind is choking on start. Turn off auto bitcoind in File > Settings, then run BitcoinQt manually. Let it sync in full. Once that's done, delete you databases folder (C:\Users\Dov\AppData\Roaming\Armory\databases) and start Armory the usual way.

Marla_H (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 11:44:29 AM

Thanks @goatpig
what does run "BitcoinQt manually" mean? launch Bitcoin Core from my start menu or shortcut?
Do i leave "auto bitcoind in File > Settings" unchecked for this step as well?

I tried your suggestion (deleted database folder) a couple times and did not get the databases on Armory to scan properly and Armory stayed "offline" the whole time. The only main difference was the Armory launched and shut down seamlesly without me having to kill it or get the (not responding) error
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: