Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:12:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cointerra Mining ASIC coming soon  (Read 35529 times)
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 05:57:25 PM

... 1.  they can raise from private investors.. in which case they wont be selling their asics as its more profitable to mine with them.. ...

Sorry for nitpicking, but selling chips is more profitable than mining.  AsicMiner is case in point, with business model involving sales of demonstrably unprofitable gear.  

thats ok to nitpick.  i really dont think its as clear cut as that.

if you are building a secret mine.. your boxes dont need to be user friendly.  they may not need their own controllers or power supplies cos you can build out shared facilities.  they might not even be air cooled.. as you can use facilities' water to cool them externally.

building a secret mine, you dont need a sales department nor a customer support department.  you need minimal skeleton staff to keep your mine running and you dont need any externally facing employees at all.

building a secret mine, you can overclock and overdrive your own hardware much harder than you would allow a customer to do it.. since if it blows up, its your own fault and you can take the risks you wouldnt let your customers take.   In fact, the hardware can be more bare bones... you may not even need a case for it.. you can simply slot bare boards in racks.

and ultimately, selling hardware requires you to have a markup to justify selling it.   whereas, if you are buying at cost price, you get to mine at a lower cost.

thus, i argue that operating a secret mine could well be more profitable and controllable, than taking pre-orders and selling boxes to customers.  It all depends on how easily you can sell and at what price you can sell to customers.   Since Cointerra is selling their TH's at a lower price than anyone else, i think its safe to say that they arent making the same profit per box that the other guys are selling, so you cant exactly accuse them of profiteering.. can you !?

(edit) Actually, to nitpick a bit further and take your words literally, you said Selling CHIPS was more profitable.. and i think thats the key.  Selling CHIPS is indeed much more profitable.  But most of the new guys dont sell chips... or, tried and didnt find traction.. maybe these new 28nm chips are too complex and require too sophisticated a board.. or maybe they need to try harder, as clearly, if they were to sell chips, they dont have the huge box costs associated with them and its a much better business to sell chips than to sell fully built working boxes.

I agree with most of what you say, with just a few exceptions:

The main one being i'm not arguing that mining is inevitably less profitable than selling, merely that it *can be*, and we have many examples where it's been shown to be.

Then there's the "overclock your own mining gear" argument.  That one just doesn't work IRL.  You will typically find just the opposite to be true -- Industrial gear being understressed & overbuilt, to improve uptime & reduce maintenance.  Once you have an easily scalable model, it's much more effective to simply scale scale scale, and forget squeezing out the last few %.  The cool thing about having a maskset is scaling up is as easy as ordering more from the baker & outsourcing assembly.  Rinse & repeat.

Also, the whole point of ASICs is they require very few external parts -- the boards are relatively cheap & simple.

But i do agree with most of what you say -- this stuff is perfect for huge scale.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 06:09:33 PM

We believe that the best companies in the industry can do is be transparent to the customers and this is something we intend to be.

https://picostocks.com/businessplan/31

Huh

We will be communicating more information on the Picostocks listing. In short I can say that the Picostocks listing is not CoinTerra as a corporate entity selling shares but rather Picostocks as a company investing in CoinTerra and selling a form of pass-through ownership. We have a conversation open with Picostocks and will be making a clarifying statement regarding this.

I get it.  If Frankie's dad had some APPL stock, i could buy shares in Apple from Frankie, amirite?
I'd like to announce a new Cointerra stock offering.
I own shares in Cointerra pass-through on Picostocks, and am too selling Cointerra shares.
PROFFIT.
What can possibly go wrong? Cheesy
Dagger75

Activity: 156

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 07:52:40 PM

Us Miners HAVE to stick together because for the last 18 Months we've been getting SCREWED by many of these various ASIC companies.  Greed is out of control in Bitcoin atm and unless we want the rich and "well to do" taking over mining completely we need to watch out for each other and Support local and group projects and not allow our fellow miners to purchase equipment that'll never get a ROI let alone any type of profit.  I know i'd rather see Bitcoin prosper for the right reasons instead of just to line the pockets of VC's and their various "Companies"

I know things are always much more completed but seriously, most of us see our fellow miners getting shafted several times a days and we all need to start supporting one another instead of just thinking it's cool to troll the forums and get entertained by others suffering....

This is not Aimed at Cointerra in particular as they can atleast offer the lowest cost per GH but still looking to be a major ROI concern when the product is ever shipped later this Winter or early 2014.

Sorry for offtopic but we gotta do something

>>>http://foundation.leafco.in/<<<  Please help support our cause

>>>A True Alt, with a True Purpose<<<  $$Leafcoin$$
Ytterbium

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2013, 07:34:05 AM

Us Miners HAVE to stick together because for the last 18 Months we've been getting SCREWED by many of these various ASIC companies.  Greed is out of control in Bitcoin atm and unless we want the rich and "well to do" taking over mining completely we need to watch out for each other and Support local and group projects and not allow our fellow miners to purchase equipment that'll never get a ROI let alone any type of profit.  I know i'd rather see Bitcoin prosper for the right reasons instead of just to line the pockets of VC's and their various "Companies"

I know things are always much more completed but seriously, most of us see our fellow miners getting shafted several times a days and we all need to start supporting one another instead of just thinking it's cool to troll the forums and get entertained by others suffering....

This is not Aimed at Cointerra in particular as they can atleast offer the lowest cost per GH but still looking to be a major ROI concern when the product is ever shipped later this Winter or early 2014.

There is nothing you can do about it. This is what happens in a free market.

spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003

nec sine labore

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 07:11:01 PM

... 1.  they can raise from private investors.. in which case they wont be selling their asics as its more profitable to mine with them.. ...

Sorry for nitpicking, but selling chips is more profitable than mining.  AsicMiner is case in point, with business model involving sales of demonstrably unprofitable gear.  

But this business model is dead now...

See my sig for the best business model right now Wink

Sure! losing 10% to 20% a day since monday and more than 50% since it started, per each GH/s you own, is the right business model... to go bankrupt. Wink

spiccioli
Paladin69

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 07:41:39 PM

I hate to be grim but mining is dead for the average guy.  You will be much better off getting refunds and buying direct.  Then just sit and hold.  You will be much happier in 2-3 years than chasing the difficulty.  I thought the difficulty would run away from everyone starting Spring to Summer next year.  It has already started instead.
maursader

Activity: 509
Merit: 250

Disrupt the banking system!

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 05:16:41 AM

Hello maursader,
we would love to have you visit our office and meet the team. I will PM you and we can set up a date for you to visit our offices and the beautiful city of Austin.

Didn't get that PM yet, see below:

@cointerra, I have sent you a PM.

Still waiting on that reply. I hope this doesn't signify the speed at which potential consumers will receive their ASIC machines. Seriously.
cointerra (OP)

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 03:14:03 PM

Hello maursader,
we would love to have you visit our office and meet the team. I will PM you and we can set up a date for you to visit our offices and the beautiful city of Austin.

Didn't get that PM yet, see below:

@cointerra, I have sent you a PM.

Still waiting on that reply. I hope this doesn't signify the speed at which potential consumers will receive their ASIC machines. Seriously.

Hello Maursader,
We apologize for the delay. PM'd you promptly after the post, not sure why you did not get the message. Sending you another message asap so that we can plan for your visit.

The CoinTerra Team

www.cointerra.com - Professional grade Bitcoin mining equipment.
If you have any questions for us, we're happy to help at info (at) cointerra (dot) com
ralree

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 04:23:20 AM

1.  If it gets you 30% speed improvement... (all your hash engines go faster)
2.  AND it gets you 1.9x the density (double the number of hash engines)
3.  AND its 25% lower power (probably means more hash engines can be used without hitting thermal limits)
No, that's not what TSMC's page says:

TSMC's 20nm process technology can provide 30 percent higher speed,
1.9 times the density,
or 25 percent less power than its 28nm technology.
http://www.tsmc.com/english/dedicatedFoundry/technology/20nm.htm

So no, it seem like it does ALL of these things - you have to pick one.  Of course, this could just be a badly written blurb, and perhaps you do get all these things.  If that's true, 20nm would be a possible foe for 28nm BTC ASICs.  Of course, pricing seems astronomical, so ROI would be a LOT slower.  That will change down the road, though.

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
jayeeyee

Activity: 191
Merit: 110

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 05:22:17 AM

Are Cointerra legit?  Do they seem capable of delivering on time?  I don't want to see another BFL fiasco/clusterfu*k.
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 09:29:37 AM

Are Cointerra legit?  Do they seem capable of delivering on time?  I don't want to see another BFL fiasco/clusterfu*k.

What do you think about this? Your personal opinion.

Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 09:33:12 AM

Haters going to hate (I read that in a BFL thread somewhere)

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 09:36:11 AM

Are Cointerra legit?  Do they seem capable of delivering on time?  I don't want to see another BFL fiasco/clusterfu*k.

What do you think about this? Your personal opinion.

Legit? Yes, cant be any reasonable doubt.
Able to deliver? As in having the ability to pull it off, yes, no reasonable doubt there either. Will they? Who the fuck knows. Even intel sometimes misses their time tables. So far, not a single bitcoin asic vendor has come to market without some delay in their planning (yeah even bitfury). It seems reasonable to add at least a few weeks to their published timelines.

Of course the most important question is omitted: even if they pull it off, ship on time and within spec, will it be profitable? My opinion: nop.

Everyone wants to make money mining, the simple fact is that as more people want that, the less they will earn and far too many are already invested to warrant the current hardware prices. Just wait a few months and see what happens.
cointerra (OP)

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2013, 08:01:13 PM

Hello,
Just wanted to weight in and let everyone know that we are still on target for our delivery dates.

www.cointerra.com - Professional grade Bitcoin mining equipment.
If you have any questions for us, we're happy to help at info (at) cointerra (dot) com
Wesly

Activity: 185

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2013, 08:18:46 PM

Hello,
Just wanted to weight in and let everyone know that we are still on target for our delivery dates.

Does that mean your GoldStrike1 ASIC chip has taped out?
testerx

Activity: 608

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 05:35:18 AM

Cointerra, is there any way that you guys could deliver more hashrate to the December orders?  At the rate difficulty has skyrocketed the December orders are not going to be able to recoup the cost difference between themselves and orders from one month later.  KNC Miner ended up shipping about double the initially promised hashrate and I think something similar would be very beneficial.  Right now it's looking like it will be impossible to recoup the $8000 cost difference between your batches and unless you want people demanding refunds en masse I think increasing the amount of hashrate you're shipping to the early adopters would ease a lot of concerns.  I don't know how much is the right amount but as of right now there's no way 2 terahash is going to be enough to recoup the difference, barring some insane explosion in BTC price (which is going down).

Please consider this, I know a lot of us are really reconsidering our purchases. 
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 07:24:41 AM

2TH in Jan is like having a couple Avalons right now

They'd have to sell 20TH for $5,000 to get anyone to sign up now for Jan

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
ralree

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 07:30:59 AM

Cointerra, is there any way that you guys could deliver more hashrate to the December orders?
This would make January customers rather angry unless they got the same benefit. 

At the rate difficulty has skyrocketed the December orders are not going to be able to recoup the cost difference between themselves and orders from one month later.
I never could understand how they could cut their prices so low for just a 1 month difference.  I wouldn't be surprised if more people ask to be moved into the January order queue.  I even ran the analysis on $10K Terraminer IVs ($5/GH), and even that doesn't make sense for the same investment after April (eg. 4 machines at $6K each versus 3 machines at $10K each). 

Perhaps it would be better to cancel your December orders and double your hashrate in January.  Just saying..

ralree

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 07:35:20 AM

2TH in Jan is like having a couple Avalons right now

They'd have to sell 20TH for $5,000 to get anyone to sign up now for Jan

So 120GH/s now is like 2TH/s in January?  So you're saying the difficulty will be ~16x higher in January (6,450,000,000).  I really don't think the difficulty will be that high in a couple short months - it basically makes no sense.  Even if every single unit on this page ships, we're only at 20PH (~6x diff increase):

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=283820.0

And TONS of that equipment will not ship by January.

DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 07:40:20 AM

just saying people are gunshy  - need to put bigger bait on the lure

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: