Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 06:22:42 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cointerra Mining ASIC coming soon  (Read 35532 times)
Double-Spent

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 08:40:29 AM

Did they taped out already?
willphase

Activity: 767
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 08:57:38 PM

Cointerra, is there any way that you guys could deliver more hashrate to the December orders? 

Each Terraminer IV has four GoldStrike1™ chips in it (Hence the IV in the name!)

Each GoldStrike1™ has a minimum hashrate of 504 Gh/sec at 1.4 GHz but the cooling system is designed to support chips clocked up to 700Gh/sec (2 Ghz) depending on binning.  So, it's possible that each Terraminer IV might have a speed of 2800 GH/sec

Source is here: http://cointerra.com/cointerra-demonstrates-working-fpga-releases-additional-chip-details/

Will

aerobatic

Activity: 702

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 10:10:27 PM

Cointerra, is there any way that you guys could deliver more hashrate to the December orders? 

Each Terraminer IV has four GoldStrike1™ chips in it (Hence the IV in the name!)

Each GoldStrike1™ has a minimum hashrate of 504 Gh/sec at 1.4 GHz but the cooling system is designed to support chips clocked up to 700Gh/sec (2 Ghz) depending on binning.  So, it's possible that each Terraminer IV might have a speed of 2800 GH/sec

Source is here: http://cointerra.com/cointerra-demonstrates-working-fpga-releases-additional-chip-details/

Will

agreed, its pretty normal in the bitcoin world, to overclock and overvolt the systems...   but they can only be sold, as a pre-order at least, based on their nominal speeds...  which is why KnC sold theirs as a 400 GH and now its 500-550 GH after it arrived.   And Hashfast is quoting a 400 GH chip but fully expects it to run much faster... and the same is true of cointerra...   I'm quite sure their 504 GH chip can be overclocked and overvolted as well (yes, hopefully to 700.. but we'll see).  Looking at the size of their radiators in the back of that thing, its pretty serious.. and the fans look pretty meaty too... so I'm sure the cooling system is more than capable of supporting some overclocking and overvolting.  quite how much i guess we won't know til we plug it in, which is exactly what Sam kept telling me at KnC... he said he knew it would overclock but he honestly didn't know by how much til they tried it.

-- Jez

testerx

Activity: 608

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 07:45:53 AM

Each GoldStrike1™ has a minimum hashrate of 504 Gh/sec at 1.4 GHz but the cooling system is designed to support chips clocked up to 700Gh/sec (2 Ghz) depending on binning.  So, it's possible that each Terraminer IV might have a speed of 2800 GH/sec

Will
Unless they're guaranteeing all the December batches will hit a much higher hash rate there's just no way were going to be able to justify a December unit vs January.  Even at three terahash it looks iff, the difficulty has managed to go up a lot more aggressively than even I thought. 
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4144
Merit: 1637

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2013, 01:51:37 AM

I posted this in the hashfast thread:

My hashfast contact and I have been working on the cgminer driver for a while for this protocol, and fortunately since they contacted me early, their final protocol is quite different to what they originally had in mind. I'm very pleased with the design overall, and the cgminer driver for it we've been working on will be pushed to a public repository tomorrow.

To be fair, cointerra had contacted me effectively even earlier in their development process than hashfast, so I'll have had even more input into their final protocol and driver design.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
testerx

Activity: 608

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 04:06:41 AM

I posted this in the hashfast thread:

My hashfast contact and I have been working on the cgminer driver for a while for this protocol, and fortunately since they contacted me early, their final protocol is quite different to what they originally had in mind. I'm very pleased with the design overall, and the cgminer driver for it we've been working on will be pushed to a public repository tomorrow.

To be fair, cointerra had contacted me effectively even earlier in their development process than hashfast, so I'll have had even more input into their final protocol and driver design.

Gives me some confidence...though I really wish they would update us regarding this tapeout...
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2013, 03:46:52 PM

Gives me some confidence...though I really wish they would update us regarding this tapeout...

The tape-out was supposed to be finished the first week of October.

It's now the last day of October.

Cointerra is, at minimum, one month behind schedule.

And of course they will have other delays.

So there is zero chance of Cointerra shipping in Dec.

Jan 2014 isn't looking good either.

So much for Cointerra's 'Dream Team.   Roll Eyes

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
RHA

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 09:08:13 PM

Just announced by Cointerra: http://terraminehosting.com/
TerraMine Hosting currently offers four exclusive hosting packages at a discounted introductory price.

12-month hosting for TerraMiner II for $2,699 until Nov 15th (After Nov 15th $2,999)
    6-month hosting for TerraMiner II for $1,599 until Nov 15th (After Nov 15th, $1,899)
    12-month hosting for TerraMiner IV for $3,499 until Nov 15th (After Nov 15th, $3,999)
    6-month hosting for TerraMiner IV for $2,599 until Nov 15th (After Nov 15th, $2,999)

The monthly fee includes all running costs as well as setup and management fees charged by the hosting provider.

(It's not an offer for mining power like at cex.io. You have to have a TerraMiner ordered first to make an order for hosting.)
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2013, 09:40:45 PM

Just announced by Cointerra: http://terraminehosting.com/
TerraMine Hosting currently offers four exclusive hosting packages at a discounted introductory price.

12-month hosting for TerraMiner II for $2,699 until Nov 15th (After Nov 15th $2,999)
    6-month hosting for TerraMiner II for $1,599 until Nov 15th (After Nov 15th, $1,899)
    12-month hosting for TerraMiner IV for $3,499 until Nov 15th (After Nov 15th, $3,999)
    6-month hosting for TerraMiner IV for $2,599 until Nov 15th (After Nov 15th, $2,999)

The monthly fee includes all running costs as well as setup and management fees charged by the hosting provider.

(It's not an offer for mining power like at cex.io. You have to have a TerraMiner ordered first to make an order for hosting.)

Oh goody, now I can purchase hosting for a chip that hasn't even been completely designed and won't physically exist for at least 60-90 days.

It sure is easier to offer ASIC hosting than complete the tape-out of an overly-ambitious chip that simply copied HashFast's specs and optimistically aspires to one-up them.   Roll Eyes

Another first for Cointerra!   Grin  Now with 50% more ballpark estimates and wishful thinking!   Grin

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
RHA

Activity: 392

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 11:22:02 PM

Oh goody, now I can purchase hosting for a chip that hasn't even been completely designed and won't physically exist for at least 60-90 days.
It was possible earlier to purchase a hosting for a machine with a yet non-existing chip: at KnC (in June-August), at BFL (Monarch), at Black Arrow (Minion)...
If it is completely designed and how long it will take to produce, is another matter.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 12:25:48 AM

It was possible earlier to purchase a hosting for a machine with a yet non-existing chip: at KnC (in June-August), at BFL (Monarch), at Black Arrow (Minion)...
If it is completely designed and how long it will take to produce, is another matter.

A chip passes through several stages on its way from conception to hashing.

HashFast, KnC, BFL, and BlackArrow have taped-out their chips, so they actually exist on paper and somewhat/partially exist in the physical world.

Conterra has still not yet taped-out, so their chip design is not complete and thus their vaporware cannot be said to exist even on paper (much less the real world).

The only reasons for a month-long delay between mock and actual tape-out are

1) when put into physical simulation Conterra's chip didn't perform at the desired 'wishful thinking' spec of [HashFast + 1] and had to be re-designed to fix that

2) Conterra didn't raise enough money to pay for the rest of the NRE and some wafers

3) Conterra didn't raise enough money to pay for fixing the broken initial design and a second tape-out

4) some combination or all of the above

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Egon

Activity: 85

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 04:56:52 AM

Job postings from the Cointerra site today (11/5/13):

Hiring lead physical design engineer
Hiring principal design engineer
Hiring principal verification engineer

Cointerra could you please comment on how this plays into your tape out schedule? This is your only official news posting on the site in the last 20 days...
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 05:21:17 AM

Cointerra could you please comment on how this plays into your tape out schedule? This is your only official news posting on the site in the last 20 days...

these guys (like I said from first whiff) are just a bunch of contracting power point whiteboarding apes that live off of soaking up 6 month budget cycles

There are TONS of brilliant speaking non-producing professionals squawking daily in conference rooms across the world

Enjoy their vaporware

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 05:25:25 AM

Wow, looks like Conterra fired their whole R&D team (most likely for blatant incompetence).

So much for Ravi and the ASIC All-Stars!

Conterra customers should start expecting delivery in 6-8 months from now.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
aerobatic

Activity: 702

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 08:55:08 AM

Wow, looks like Conterra fired their whole R&D team (most likely for blatant incompetence).

So much for Ravi and the ASIC All-Stars!

Conterra customers should start expecting delivery in 6-8 months from now.

you don't think its more likely that they've finished their first silicon and are now hiring a team for their second silicon.  In other news, kncminer's design partner, Alchip announced they're working on their second KnC silicon yesterday and BitFury is working on their second one..

Starting the second chip seems to be what people tend to do after they've finished the first chip.  Since hashfast has taped out already, do you think their asic engineers are now twiddling their thumbs or do you think may also be working on the next one too?  which is it, hashfast fanboy?
pwnyboy

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 10:19:29 AM

you don't think its more likely that they've finished their first silicon and are now hiring a team for their second silicon.  

Are you insane?  By your logic, they finished designing something that beats every other ASIC maker, yet they're keeping that fact a secret.  That makes a tremendous amount of sense.

Anything else you'd like to postulate on?
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 10:33:19 AM

you don't think its more likely that they've finished their first silicon and are now hiring a team for their second silicon.  In other news, kncminer's design partner, Alchip announced they're working on their second KnC silicon yesterday and BitFury is working on their second one..

Starting the second chip seems to be what people tend to do after they've finished the first chip.  Since hashfast has taped out already, do you think their asic engineers are now twiddling their thumbs or do you think may also be working on the next one too?  which is it, hashfast fanboy?

Proof of both statements?

ImI
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 11:18:27 AM

What is Cointerras refund-policy?
Egon

Activity: 85

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 03:02:48 PM

While that is possible, it doesn't seem likely to me... but the purpose of the post was to have Cointerra comment on why they are hiring prior to announcing a chip status update for Goldstrikes.

Cointerra please respond.
chrono030

Activity: 114

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 03:19:18 PM

these guys (like I said from first whiff) are just a bunch of contracting power point whiteboarding apes that live off of soaking up 6 month budget cycles

There are TONS of brilliant speaking non-producing professionals squawking daily in conference rooms across the world

Enjoy their vaporware

This is the most likely scenario.  It doesn't make any sense that an organization would sandbag a successful tape out and hire some more people to do a R2 chip.  This reeks of ineptitude.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: