Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 01:05:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL board project COINTAMINATION - EU facility - ORDERS OPENED for Chili  (Read 73031 times)
GrapeApe

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 09:02:45 PM

I got both of my boards in today Thanks. But both of them are damaged... I assume they are capacitors (forgive my ignorance) but the same one each board is broken and  2 more on each board are loose. 1 and 2 from left to right in the image. Same on both boards...

ronin4bits

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 09:29:08 PM

Ugh... Sorry to see that GrapeApe...   Sad

I too am expecting 2 boards - delivery was estimated for today, but now delayed until Monday for unknown reason.

Praying my boards won't be delivered in the same condition...  Undecided
asjfdlksfd

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 09:37:46 PM

I assume they are capacitors (forgive my ignorance) but the same one each board is broken and  2 more on each board are loose. 1 and 2 from left to right in the image. Same on both boards...

Uh, without reflowing it's hard to resolder them. That's from my own experience with the boards from Mr. Teal.

Maybe it is possible with a preheater and leaded solder paste. Also with unleaded solder paste but then with higher temperatures....

Cheers...
asjfdlksfd

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 02:15:48 AM

Lucko and Mr. Teal,

the warm up problem exists also on Mr. Teals boards. But in fact it will only occur if the ambient temperature is low enough. I've got the problem after restarting my outside used chillies at 0 °C from Mr. Teal, too. They was not really long without work, but it was cold enough so the boards got exactly the same issue.
The fw patch with the preheating functionality looks like is also good working to have cleaner startup at low ambient temperatures on Mr. Teals devices. So I get the boards back after reflashing without bring them in my house nor heat them up by other work ;-)

What now is really needed next is that after cooling down the preheating restarts again so if my boards are interrupted from work e.g. network outage, they yould not resets. In fact I've also a problem with bfgminer. After a reset the /dev inode will change so bfgminer did not found them any more. So it will not restart the mining by themself :-( So preventing the device from reset will be very helpfull.

The other point some of my devices have > 125 Engines enabled. They becomes the problems if the voltage increases 1.14 V. If i change my cooling so the voltage will not arive higher values all is fine. Maybe 1.1 (or 1.13) limit with the warmup fix will be welcome ;-)

And it would be nice to see which fw is installed by the version number?

Cheers...
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 02:37:10 AM

I assume they are capacitors (forgive my ignorance) but the same one each board is broken and  2 more on each board are loose. 1 and 2 from left to right in the image. Same on both boards...

Uh, without reflowing it's hard to resolder them. That's from my own experience with the boards from Mr. Teal.

Maybe it is possible with a preheater and leaded solder paste. Also with unleaded solder paste but then with higher temperatures....

I had this same problem with one of my Technobit Chilis.  I wasn't able to reattach it directly to the board.

Instead I made two wire extensions using some 26-ga copper from a piece of cat-5 and soldered them to the board.  I used 2 irons at once, a 25W and a 30W to get the solder to melt.  Then I soldered the cap onto the extensions.

It's not pretty but it works.

I guess I could have left the black plastic piece out, but I didn't want to lose it so I stuck it in there.

I should probably wrap some tape around the cap body so it doesn't short against other things on the board.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Lucko (OP)

Activity: 826

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 09:10:44 AM
Last edit: January 25, 2014, 09:59:14 AM by Lucko

I got both of my boards in today Thanks. But both of them are damaged... I assume they are capacitors (forgive my ignorance) but the same one each board is broken and  2 more on each board are loose. 1 and 2 from left to right in the image. Same on both boards...

Hm... They are capacitors but how did that happened... Something must pressed on bubble raping hard enough to do that... Did box show any damage? Blue part must be turned out. Or I can organize a pick-up and fix them for you...

EDIT: This is this rohs stranded that removed lead from solder and make boards more brittle

EDIT2: I request for insurance to be paid out...
Min€r

Activity: 359

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 10:24:12 AM
Last edit: January 25, 2014, 10:37:47 AM by Min€r

Hm... They are capacitors but how did that happened... Something must pressed on bubble raping hard enough to do that... Did box show any damage? Blue part must be turned out. Or I can organize a pick-up and fix them for you...

EDIT: This is this rohs stranded that removed lead from solder and make boards more brittle

I had this too on another HW delievery - it happens when the packages are shaken or when they transport it on the automatic belt system I think - the packages are pushed by bumpers there. Maybe you can fix it by package each board in an inner carton box (bubble foil wrapped) & finally take the boxes in a bigger carton (like they ship motherboards & gpu`s). Most important thing is to get a really stable carton finally what takes the damage without giving it into the inner.

In my company we too have to ship our sensible goods like that - otherwise they will arrive broken at the clients 8 of 10 times. Just found a pic of Technobits delievery - this is the thing I mean (in general :-) ):
https://imageshack.com/i/gvuouzj

They use hexspacer too to get more stability & finally it can be damaged from the top.

BTC Sticker: German | English  
BTC Promo Sticker Sets: German | English
1P7fvQGyNx2EwUD7zVfY8jvDFjfA5Sq59b
Mudbankkeith

Activity: 868

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 10:44:06 AM

I got both of my boards in today Thanks. But both of them are damaged... I assume they are capacitors (forgive my ignorance) but the same one each board is broken and  2 more on each board are loose. 1 and 2 from left to right in the image. Same on both boards...

"Ouch"
Some carriers can even break a case containing your used skiddies coming back from holiday.

BTc donations welcome:-  13c2KuzWCaWFTXF171Zn1HrKhMYARPKv97
Lucko (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 11:55:57 AM

I had this too on another HW delievery - it happens when the packages are shaken or when they transport it on the automatic belt system I think - the packages are pushed by bumpers there.
You are right problem is vibration. ROHS remove lead out of the solder and replaces it with something else. And problem is that then it is not as flexible and vibration make it much less strong. So just a bump can do this...

Lucko (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 12:51:04 PM

Lucko and Mr. Teal,

the warm up problem exists also on Mr. Teals boards. But in fact it will only occur if the ambient temperature is low enough. I've got the problem after restarting my outside used chillies at 0 °C from Mr. Teal, too. They was not really long without work, but it was cold enough so the boards got exactly the same issue.
The fw patch with the preheating functionality looks like is also good working to have cleaner startup at low ambient temperatures on Mr. Teals devices. So I get the boards back after reflashing without bring them in my house nor heat them up by other work ;-)

What now is really needed next is that after cooling down the preheating restarts again so if my boards are interrupted from work e.g. network outage, they yould not resets. In fact I've also a problem with bfgminer. After a reset the /dev inode will change so bfgminer did not found them any more. So it will not restart the mining by themself :-( So preventing the device from reset will be very helpfull.

The other point some of my devices have > 125 Engines enabled. They becomes the problems if the voltage increases 1.14 V. If i change my cooling so the voltage will not arive higher values all is fine. Maybe 1.1 (or 1.13) limit with the warmup fix will be welcome ;-)

And it would be nice to see which fw is installed by the version number?

Cheers...
I more or less told all his to MrTeal and hi is working on it(I hope). He will not open his fw so we need to wait for him. But now that I have someone else saying that his board has the same problem only at different temperature he will probably be more sure it is not just isolated case...
GrapeApe

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:34:29 PM
Last edit: January 25, 2014, 03:47:46 PM by GrapeApe

I got both of my boards in today Thanks. But both of them are damaged... I assume they are capacitors (forgive my ignorance) but the same one each board is broken and  2 more on each board are loose. 1 and 2 from left to right in the image. Same on both boards...

No obvious damage to the box. I have little to no experience with soldering I hate for them to make a round trip for something like this. Let me see if I can talk to a few people on Monday to see if there is something I can do here.

But just so I'm clear you are offering to have them picked up shipped back and fixed? Also one of the leads on one of the caps is broken off loose in the box so the cap itself has to be replaced as well.

Sorry to be a pain the ass.
ronin4bits

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:36:50 PM

Huh I think it's unfair to yourself to think this is your fault, GrapeApe...

[edit] Not that it's Lucko's either!
GrapeApe

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:46:29 PM
Last edit: January 25, 2014, 04:59:24 PM by GrapeApe

Huh I think it's unfair to yourself to think this is your fault, GrapeApe...

[edit] Not that it's Lucko's either!
Agreed not his fault

Thanks for the pick up I just meant this is probably an easy fix for several people on here but not for me.

EDIT: On the cap itself it says CG 680 C 324 what does that indicate? Also I tried searching for a replacement using those values and had no luck.
Lucko (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:15:15 PM

EDIT: On the cap itself it says CG 680 C 324 what does that indicate? Also I tried searching for a replacement using those values and had no luck.
That would be it

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/PCG1C681MCL1GS/493-3100-1-ND/1662570

EDIT: But for damage that you are talking about(broken off the leads) there should be a lot pressure to make this happen. I can't imagine how could that happen without living obvious damage to the box....
GrapeApe

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:57:43 PM

That's it thanks.

No obvious damage to box at all.

I should have been more clear the cap was loose in the box. I don't remember noticing a missing lead when I took the images and when I look close at the images it looks like both leads are there on each cap so I could have done it myself moving them around to take the images (doubtful though), but I found the lead in the box as well after noticing it was broken so I don't know what to tell you.

asjfdlksfd

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 07:18:34 PM

That would be it
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/PCG1C681MCL1GS/493-3100-1-ND/1662570
This is a 680 µF capacity (681) and not a 68 F capacity (680). The last digits is the 10^X multiplier:
0 = 10 ^ 0 = x1
1 = 10 ^ 1 = x10
2 = 10 ^ 2 = x100

or my knowledge is maybe wrong?

But in fact, I wonder me that there 3x 0Z1 and 1x 323  (on my Mr. Teal Chillies) types are soldered and why...
EDIT: Ah, it's the taping code.

Cheers...
one4many

Activity: 516
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:12:28 PM

I more or less told all his to MrTeal and hi is working on it(I hope). He will not open his fw so we need to wait for him. But now that I have someone else saying that his board has the same problem only at different temperature he will probably be more sure it is not just isolated case...

Hmmm .... looking at the firmware closer ... it looks like that it is using parts of the original code released from BFL.
This code was released under GPLv2 license , so I guess MrTeal has to publish the firmware source, otherwise a few (angry) people will try to sue him for this.

one4many
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:19:26 PM

Hmmm .... looking at the firmware closer ... it looks like that it is using parts of the original code released from BFL.
This code was released under GPLv2 license , so I guess MrTeal has to publish the firmware source, otherwise a few (angry) people will try to sue him for this.

one4many
I would love to see your evidence for that. Using the same miner to host command protocol does not mean we are using BFL's code.
GrapeApe

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:31:48 PM

one4many
I would love to see your evidence for that. Using the same miner to host command protocol does not mean we are using BFL's code.

I don't know why I feel the need to apologize for others but I'm truly sorry for all the bullshit that has been directed your way from this group buy.
ronin4bits

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:47:41 PM

I, for one, think threats of suing someone are chickenshit...

How many Chilis are out there hashing? How would this gb be doing without his help troubleshooting?

Design your own board and get to hashing. Leave MrTeal alone.

I don't know him. Don't know you. Don't know anyone on here, but what I've seen on this forum, bitcoin is bringing out the worst in quite a few of you.

Angry

EDIT: not to mention, these people bitching are probably the ones not willing to accept the 30-32GHS firmware that both MrTeal and Luckos Chilis were offered to do... probably whining you can't overclock the shit out of it...  piss off.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 »
  Print  

Jump to: