Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 12:56:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Stellar is not much better than XRP  (Read 602 times)
leopard2 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 02:05:39 AM

Stellar. At first glance it is the better Ripple, "decentralized" and all.

But is it?

No!

There is almost no crypto that has less respect for privacy. There was an airdrop to BTC holders:

https://www.stellar.org/blog/bitcoin-claim-lumens-2/

You know what? They forced participants to ID with FACEBOOK. FACEBOOK!!!! Those participating would have to have locked their BTC holdings AND their Stellar wallets to their ID forever.

If you’re not using an exchange, then law requires us to ensure you’re not on the U.S. sanctions list or located in any of the restricted jurisdictions listed above. We’re using Facebook account verification to complete this check.

Again, this "nonprofit foundation" tried to link ID's to Bitcoin and Stellar wallets. They claim they had to do this because of the "law".

LOL. Hundreds of airdrops were done without ID requirement; in fact I know no other airdrop who had identity verification as a requirement.

Whatever made Stellar.org require this, one thing is clear: if they ever want to freeze/blacklist funds, they can and will do it. Ripple is the Federal Reserve of crypto, and Stellar is Facebook of crypto.

Should Stellar ever be used by the so-called bad guys (Iran, ISIS, Venezuela ....) then good luck to Stellar holders!!!!!!!!

Truth is the new hatespeech.
Enjel

Activity: 70
Merit: 21

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 04:26:03 AM

Stellar. At first glance it is the better Ripple, "decentralized" and all.

But is it?

No!

There is almost no crypto that has less respect for privacy. There was an airdrop to BTC holders:

https://www.stellar.org/blog/bitcoin-claim-lumens-2/

You know what? They forced participants to ID with FACEBOOK. FACEBOOK!!!! Those participating would have to have locked their BTC holdings AND their Stellar wallets to their ID forever.

If you’re not using an exchange, then law requires us to ensure you’re not on the U.S. sanctions list or located in any of the restricted jurisdictions listed above. We’re using Facebook account verification to complete this check.

Again, this "nonprofit foundation" tried to link ID's to Bitcoin and Stellar wallets. They claim they had to do this because of the "law".

LOL. Hundreds of airdrops were done without ID requirement; in fact I know no other airdrop who had identity verification as a requirement.

Whatever made Stellar.org require this, one thing is clear: if they ever want to freeze/blacklist funds, they can and will do it. Ripple is the Federal Reserve of crypto, and Stellar is Facebook of crypto.

Should Stellar ever be used by the so-called bad guys (Iran, ISIS, Venezuela ....) then good luck to Stellar holders!!!!!!!!

Wow. If this is the best that XLM critics have, then I think I will invest some more in it.

Using crypto to pay for college.
AlexaSonda

Activity: 504
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 04:44:21 AM

I think that's the right reason, why stellar can be left far from the ripple. I also strongly disagree if the stellar is used by criminals, should the developer know and make a firm action against it.
Enjel

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 05:41:36 AM

I think that's the right reason, why stellar can be left far from the ripple. I also strongly disagree if the stellar is used by criminals, should the developer know and make a firm action against it.

The people in charge of Ripple can monitor, freeze, and reverse your transactions.

This guy claims that if they want to, "they will be able to" do it. What kind of argument is that?

Stellar is a x5 coin at least - highly undervalued. It should not be 1/10 of XRP.

rayk

Activity: 448
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2018, 07:50:05 AM

I think whether it is decentralized or not does not play a key role in its success in real business world. Being centralized may be better for company.
OriginTrain

Activity: 406
Merit: 174

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 07:51:51 AM

What's strange is that a lot of these centralized currencies are listed on coinmarketcap and are discussed on decentralized ledger forums. There is nothing in the future of centralized currencies.
Enjel

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 07:49:03 PM

What's strange is that a lot of these centralized currencies are listed on coinmarketcap and are discussed on decentralized ledger forums. There is nothing in the future of centralized currencies.

That is incorrect. Decentralized and centralized currencies (BTW, XLM is decentralized - just because it is banking/fintech related doesn't mean anything) can belong in separate spheres without competition.

Privacy coins like XSPEC (probably x10 in 2018 at least - it is a sleeping giant), Monero, will have their own niches as well.

But without a doubt, centralized systems have a future.

This isn't me talking - it's the many banks and financial institutions which are adopting and looking at XRP, and in the near future XLM.

Buy XLM over XRP, BTW. XLM should be at least half value of XRP, so the price should easily x4 in the near future.

dangdangdang

Activity: 224

THE WORLD'S FIRST FIXED MONTHLY ALLOWANCE PLAN

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2018, 08:05:07 PM

There are so many aspects to consider why an Altcoin is supported by many investors over a specific Altcoin like Stellar. I agree that Stellar is better than Ripple in some aspects but I think people would choose the more popular + cheaper price like before when Ripple only holds $0.5 or lower then large volume of investments were coming into Ripple so that where the pumping began and now its somehow unstoppable.

dangdangdang

Activity: 224

THE WORLD'S FIRST FIXED MONTHLY ALLOWANCE PLAN

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2018, 08:11:52 PM

XRP and XLM are not related, don't share anything more than... the letter X

I think he's not referring into both project ideas but instead of comparing both by their circulation coins, maximum coin supply, coin price recently and other coin details. It's normal comparing two or more coins side by side that's why he needs so he need some people views and opinions on how they're seeing these two coins (Ripple and Stellar) comparison why Ripple is now superior than the other close contender coins way back weeks ago.

Aexs

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 08:13:26 PM

XRP and XLM are not related, don't share anything more than... the letter X

Lol what, stellar is a fork of ripple. The owners created ripple together and then had indifferances and one of them split off to create stellar. So yes they have a lot to share, tech, coin ownership etc. The stellar owner still has a lot of ripple from the creation of it.
guesswhat

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 08:14:59 PM

I think whether it is decentralized or not does not play a key role in its success in real business world. Being centralized may be better for company.

This is right, I always support decentralized ones, but being centralized works well for the legit companies of real business world. This is valid for ripple in this case. I don't understand why they compare steallar to ripple. They are different.
leopard2 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 08:16:24 PM

Oh of course, yes, it is very good for the company. You are right.

It is always good to have monopoly power. Hey here are  a few examples of monopolies:

Paypal
Visa
Federal Reserve
North Korean government
Chinese government
Stalin
Ripple
Stellar.org

Each of these monopolies have something in common: great for the owners, shitty for the users/customers.

Trouble is, you own nothing if you buy this shit. Owning XRP or XLM does not mean you own a part of these companies. They are no securities, no stocks or bonds, not even a preferred share without voting rights.

You do not own a part of the company. In fact, they own you.

Creating tokens from thin air made the owners filthy rich, and they have full control over your funds.

https://www.ccn.com/ripple-market-cap-surpasses-100-billion-as-xrp-hedge-fund-goes-live/

Ripple co-founder and former CEO Chris Larsen holds 5.19 billion XRP as well as a 17 percent stake in the company, according to a recent Forbes report. Given that Ripple is currently holding 55 billion XRP in escrow, Larsen is now worth at least $39.8 billion — and that’s not accounting for the value of the company itself apart from its XRP holdings.

They own a real stake in the company, you own pre-mined tokens that were created from thin air. Good luck. Cool

Rowland Okoli

Activity: 182
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 08:28:45 PM

For me i got tons of Stellar at $0.20 when I learnt that it was same Mt. GOX & Ripple guy that developed Stellar.

I follow track records(actually successful ones).

The 2 protocols XRP and XLM might differ as regarding one being centralized and the other decentralized but my main goal is this: That asset should make me some 10x money as am not in crypto to sympathise nor empathise with any Asset.

I appreciate the technology, I research it's future and tendency towards mass adoption and scalability(not forgetting speed).
Once my criteria is met then i buy, hold and then sell at the appropriate time.

I don't marry my tokens, I date them. Grin

#SAVAGE!

Chokolo

Activity: 168
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 08:29:24 PM

Stellar is a shitcoin made by Jeb, a guy who nobody trust.
Stellar gave away millions of XLM just to get blind fanboy followers.
Stellar have been riding on what Ripple have done, and they risk of getting sued by Ripple for stealing some of their code. So investing in them you risk of losing all your money on a lawsuit.

Its a shitcoin with only one vague good news, that IBM will do projects with the coin. Nothing more.
Dont support the thief Jeb and his shitproject
leopard2 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 08:31:27 PM

For me i got tons of Stellar at $0.20 when I learnt that it was same Mt. GOX & Ripple guy that developed Stellar.

I follow track records(actually successful ones).

The 2 protocols XRP and XLM might differ as regarding one being centralized and the other decentralized but my main goal is this: That asset should make me some 10x money as am not in crypto to sympathise nor empathise with any Asset.

I don't marry my tokens, I date them. Grin

Excellent attitude. Just one thing, if you get AIDS from a date it is permanent even without marriage  Wink

But if that guy worked for Mt.Gox & Ripple HOW THE FUCK can you consider that a recommendation LOL  Grin Grin Grin

Enjel

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 08:31:40 PM

Wow, what a lot of stupid FUD.

XLM has been here for years. If they wanted a lawsuit, they would have done it already. This has got to be the new dumbest FUD argument against XLM I've seen in a while.

Also, why are people talking about XLM like it is XRP? If anything, it is better. The only real similarity these have is fintech/institutional usage. XRP is a scam (as correctly said), XLM is undervalued.

Rowland Okoli

Activity: 182
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 08:31:45 PM

Stellar have been riding on what Ripple have done, and they risk of getting sued by Ripple for stealing some of their code. So investing in them you risk of losing all your money on a lawsuit.

Its a shitcoin with only one vague good news, that IBM will do projects with the coin. Nothing more.

Who made XRP sir?

leopard2 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 08:36:22 PM

Also, why are people talking about XLM like it is XRP? If anything, it is better. The only real similarity these have is fintech/institutional usage. XRP is a scam (as correctly said), XLM is undervalued.

XLM also has over 100 000 000 000 units so how is it undervalued?  Huh

You see I was positive on XLM first but then found out, that Stellar.org tried to enforce identity verification during the airdrop. Like I posted on top. This means the project is also centralized and government controlled just like Ripple.

Basically if you are a little paranoid you could view the Stellar airdrop as a trojan horse, to link BTC and XLM wallets to Facebook users...

Chokolo

Activity: 168
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 08:37:46 PM

Who made XRP sir?

Ryan Fugger. But nice try  Wink

Chris Larsen and Jeb joined after. They worked on Ripple before Jeb was convinced by his controlling wife to break out and steal Ripple coins and run away like the coward he was.
Then he stole some of Ripple code and made Stellar, like the unoriginal copy cat artist he could ever be,

He scared away bank of America that was in the process of using Ripple, because Jeb was untrustable. No bank trust Stellar or Jeb. Luckily the RippleNet today is clearly superior to the copycat Stellar once was, so Bank of America have been working with Ripple for a couple of years now,

Go learn history and stop supporting this shitcoin. Its a project waiting to die or get sued to oblivion
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 16687

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2018, 08:49:33 PM

Who doesn't have fake Facebook accounts? You could even create a new account through Tor!
I got my XLM for free, I sell some once in a while (a lot more often the past few days!), and I never bought them (although I regret not buying them 3 months ago for a 50-fold increase in value). I know I'm biased towards XLM, their bribe worked well on me Cheesy

Ripple is the Federal Reserve of crypto
While on the subject: I totally don't get the hype with Ripple (or most of the altcoins with high market cap for that matter). Ripple is a centrally controlled CORPORATION that owns the majority of it's coins. How can this be worth $128 billion now? That means the company owns $200 billion in Ripple, that's ludicrous!

The people in charge of Ripple can monitor, freeze, and reverse your transactions.
Ripple is a cryptocoin, but that's where it ends. It is nothing like Bitcoin, but just like nobody seems to care that Ethereum hardforks whenever the few rich guys in power need to get back their money (The DAO made them instantly abandon "code is law"), nobody seems to care that Ripple is centrally controlled.
"Banks use it" is not an argument to throw your money at it, it should be the other way around! Banks don't need you to become rich, banks want your money, and banks are very good at making sure they get it!

I wouldn't even be against a centralized cryptocurrency, as long as it's open and public. A corporation that owns the majority of the coins doesn't fit my image of an ideal currency.

Ripple co-founder and former CEO Chris Larsen holds 5.19 billion XRP as well as a 17 percent stake in the company, according to a recent Forbes report. Given that Ripple is currently holding 55 billion XRP in escrow, Larsen is now worth at least $39.8 billion — and that’s not accounting for the value of the company itself apart from its XRP holdings.

They own a real stake in the company, you own pre-mined tokens that were created from thin air. Good luck. Cool
I've always said altcoins (and later ICOs and now forks) are created for one reason: getting your money! They missed out on Bitcoin, create something new, hype it, and boom, people start throwing money at them.
By the time the guy owns $39.8 billion dollar, he doesn't care about any of the fundamental reasons to choose cryptocurrencies anymore. It's the 1% of the 1% of the 1% that owns 8% of total crypto market cap!

~
#SAVAGE!
It's amazing how people just ignore the fact that it is indeed the Mt. Gox guy who has his next money maker!

Take a look at the orange line (Ripple's Bitcoin value) in this picture:

Can anybody come up with even just one reason why it shouldn't crash again like it did many times? Why do people keep telling themselves it must be different this time?

I never understand why people start buying a coin when a big corporation has "some" plan with it. Even if IBM is going to use Stellar, they won't be spending any money on buying their coins, so there is absolutely no reason for the coin price to go up.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: