Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:04:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Phyiscal or online wallet?  (Read 403 times)
uniqueuser (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 11:41:28 AM

Hi there,

Where is the best to store 10 different altcoins? On physical device or online?

Can I store on physical device let's say my own USB flash drive?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
chanc3r

Activity: 952
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 11:44:25 AM

Hi there,

I can't say what is the best wallet to store your cryptocurrency right now but it seems that depends on the platform itself. Every wallet has different feature and that depends on your portfolio too. because not all wallet is supporting the various currency. You can use your USB flash drive to store your crypto but that's only like installed the offline wallet in your flash disk or just try to save your private key on there.

carter34

Activity: 1302
Merit: 25

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 11:49:46 AM

I prefer physical wallet and my reason is simply that I would have it on my phone directly for easy access. What I just need is to save the app on my home screen.

However, both are good ,just that wallet codes should be secured.
uniqueuser (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 11:54:14 AM

I believe binance as the exchange isn't the best to store coins, in my case. But what about the rest of the online wallets, they can be hacked too and the physical device can be lost.

but anyways just trying to understand if my simple USB flash drive with keys inside the encrypted folder would be similar/same as ledger device..

Carter34 - what application are you using?

How do I find my wallet codes?
Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 12:09:15 PM

I believe binance as the exchange isn't the best to store coins, in my case.
not just in your case, it is not a good idea to store anything with third parties when these third parties are scamming users left and right.

but sometimes depending on your trading strategies, you may need to have the altcoins ready so you can dump them as fast as humanly possible so you hold them there but only for a short time.

But what about the rest of the online wallets, they can be hacked too and the physical device can be lost.

but anyways just trying to understand if my simple USB flash drive with keys inside the encrypted folder would be similar/same as ledger device..
only cold storage is safe. and that is when you create your keys offline and store them there.
usually people go the easy rout and buy a hardware wallet and hold some altcoins they support in these devices.

if you store anything on your USB disk then make sure to have additional backups as much as possible like printing your private keys on paper so that in case your USB disk died you still have some safety net.

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
Ebenezar64

Activity: 210
Merit: 14

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 12:17:38 PM

Almost everyone would say that it is not a good idea to store your coins on an exchange for a prolonged time. This is both to ensure safety in your investment but also to prevent you from "overtrading" and trying to catch the coins that suddenly "moon".

I have fallen into the trap of having my conis on the exchanges, switched from my "solid coin" since it seems to be slowing down to another coin with a lot of hype. In the end I almost always missed out on a big rush and was left with a coin I didn't even want to hold.

I guess there are some good Online Wallets, like MyEthereum wallet but mostly I prefer to have a private wallet on my desktop since this seems like a safe option. A HW wallet would probably be the best solution if you have a bigger investment. You've probably heard of the Ledger Nano S which I wuold say is the #1 pick today.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord   ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
uniqueuser (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 04:15:19 PM

Red-Apple and Ebenezar64 do you have software name to store on desktop or app?
alt18coins

Activity: 261
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 04:34:45 PM

Both wallet are secure.so that I can n't say that which wallet is best.I should use both physical and online wallet as well as.According to the situation both wallet are necessary.
indrakusumaindra

Activity: 728
Merit: 101

The Standard Protocol - Solving Inflation

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 04:37:05 PM

Hi there,

both are good and secure and have some advantages and disadvantages. for now im using online wallet and store more than 10 altcoins. and i fell secure with it as long as a got my private key somewhere save. for beginer that still learn i would recomend you MEW.  i think mew is secure enough and been used by many people for a long time.

qazgroup

Activity: 1022
Merit: 20

RiveMont

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 04:37:16 PM

I have heard big investors recommending offline physical wallets to store coins but personally im using online wallets only and i have not faced any issue uptill now.

●   RiveMont   ●
 ❰❰❰❰❰❰  RVMT  ❱❱❱❱❱❱  
● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●●●    ●  DeFi token  ●    ●●● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●
ferrybitcoin.1996

Activity: 294
Merit: 119

For Bounty Hunters, Don't Cheat or You DIE!!

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2018, 04:39:09 PM

Online wallet is simpler anyway, but as long as it secured. Many people trapped in phising that make they lost their money

Kvanko

Activity: 602
Merit: 279

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 05:02:30 PM

Online wallet is easier to use and physical wallet is safer I think it is obvious. So physical wallet for big amounts (it is different from person to person) and online for small ones and for those you want often to use.
Arngrim

Activity: 182
Merit: 13

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 05:05:23 PM

If you are a long time holder then you should pick the physical wallet.
If you will just do it for a trade or you will sell it in just a manner of time then it is online wallet. You wont lose a lot of money for transaction fees in that case.
Yes you can do save it in a usb.

GIVING VALUE TO YOUR ONLINE VIDEOS                      DEVELOPED & TESTED PLATFORM ✔                 
( ( (   BUZZSHOW   ) ) )
                               whitepaper    facebook    twitter    youtube    telegram    |       JOIN TOKEN SALE     12th Feb 2018
phantomberg

Activity: 392
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 05:07:41 PM

Online wallet is easier to use and physical wallet is safer I think it is obvious. So physical wallet for big amounts (it is different from person to person) and online for small ones and for those you want often to use.

I agree with you. Recently I purchased a physical purse for storing large sums. I think it's safer than keeping money in an online wallet. The advantage of online wallets is that they are free

paxmao
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1587

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 05:08:13 PM

Hi there,

I do not think there is any wallet out there that suits your needs directly. If i were you, I would definetly try the USB option for cold storage. I assume that you won´t be trading often?

chaosfourever

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 05:16:39 PM

Depends on the coin. ERC20 tokens can all be held in myetherwallet. Others coins may have their own specific wallet that they use. Some have physical and online wallets that are specific. You need to look at the coin to make that decision.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
Anonymous and Untraceable
ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord 

▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
minus_one_crypto

Activity: 462
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 05:21:25 PM

I heard that the most reliable physical purse is Ledger. This is much more reliable than storing coins in online wallets. I have long wanted to buy this coin purse.

Kvanko

Activity: 602
Merit: 279

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 06:36:22 PM

I agree with you. Recently I purchased a physical purse for storing large sums. I think it's safer than keeping money in an online wallet. The advantage of online wallets is that they are free

What do you mean by "physical purse"? A flash drive or what? Physical wallets can be free too, it's just a private key, which can be stored on a piece of paper.
AngelSky

Activity: 1008
Merit: 537

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 06:43:38 PM

Hi there,

Online web wallets more riskier than any type of bitcoin wallets. You will find the problem ate key shared wallet not shared wallets in online so you should always choose the private key shared one only.
For security reasons people have millions of USD worth of bitcoins in hardware wallet. That would be right choice since having cheap amount bitcoin you can have fund in desktop wallets or papar wallets that is enough.
OneCoinMan

Activity: 644
Merit: 12

Alternative investment banking platform

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 06:53:47 PM

Ledger and Trezor are the best solutions, but if you haven`t it (I haven`t). I prefer paper wallet for bitcoin and phyiscals for altcoins. Online Wallets are unsafety

───────────────    IMO Ecosystem    ───────────────
Customer First, Innovation from Everyone, Fair & Transparent
TELEGRAM  ]              J O I N   U S              [   TWITTER   ]
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: