Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:39:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Owner gone AWOL] Website Preview: BITADS.NET. Now Pay-Per-Day!  (Read 33690 times)
BitVegas (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 06:21:07 AM
Last edit: April 04, 2014, 11:18:00 AM by malevolent

Mod note: Read this before using bitads.net https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=499972.0;all

https://bitads.net

Hello! From the creators of BitVegas we bring our newest project, bitads.

The goal of BitAds is to redesign how advertising is done.

UPDATE: Due to demand, we are now pay-per-day instead of pay-per-click

We found the way that most pay-per-click advertising services run to be, pretty horrible.
Publishers have little to no control over what ads are displayed on their site and advertisers have even less control over where there ad is displayed. On top of that you have no idea how much of your payment is going to the publishers and how much is actually going into the advertising networks pocket.

We found it even worse once Bitcoin was involved. What's the point of paying an advertising network to advertise you to 10s of 1000s of people that do not own Bitcoins and will never use your product? You're paying to put out a huge net that will only catch a few people.

Advertisers, wouldn't you rather just pay for the exact site you want to advertise on?
Publishers, wouldn't you rather have advertisers have to bid for your specific website. Not just take the rake set for you?

Our system ensures everyone pays, and gets paid fairly.

Here's how it works:

1) Website owners set up an adspace on their website

2) Advertisers bid against each other for a share in the adspace

3) An ad is randomly chosen based on it's share of the adspace and shown on your website

bitads.net is currently in beta. It is fully functional but we have many new features on the way! We would love to hear some feedback so we can shape this service in to one that Bitcoin truly needs.

"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dudeami

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 06:57:16 AM

Awesome service! Just one thing you might want to add, most advertisers won't want to bid on individual websites, though this is good for the early stages. A keyword bidding system would probably get you much more traffic, though is obviously harder to make.

Also, what kind of measures have you taken to make sure people don't scam the ads? Do you have any detection of rotating proxies used to click ads en mass or similar approaches?

Looking forward to seeing this become a great product!

Put your heart on the line, it determines your fate.
BTC: 1DUDEAMiV54PFJFSe5fen3wr1e71unkaGj
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 07:07:41 AM

I added this to https://coinchat.org. The problem with this model of advertising is that I don't make money unless someone bids through. So if nobody bids in the next day or so, I'll have to go back to coinurl, as I'll be losing money.

Have you actually TRIED this? The ad is not clickable. I'm sure advertisers would love to pay for non-clickable ads.

Going back to coinurl.
BitVegas (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 07:17:50 AM

I added this to https://coinchat.org. The problem with this model of advertising is that I don't make money unless someone bids through. So if nobody bids in the next day or so, I'll have to go back to coinurl, as I'll be losing money.

Have you actually TRIED this? The ad is not clickable. I'm sure advertisers would love to pay for non-clickable ads.

Going back to coinurl.

Sorry about that. There was a small bug in the code preview window which wasnt including the <a> tag. I have updated it correctly if you would like to try again.

And yes it's correct you do not make money unless someone bids. Although once you receive bids they should hopefully be higher than what other ad services are paying you.

BitVegas (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 07:50:38 AM

Awesome service! Just one thing you might want to add, most advertisers won't want to bid on individual websites, though this is good for the early stages. A keyword bidding system would probably get you much more traffic, though is obviously harder to make.

Also, what kind of measures have you taken to make sure people don't scam the ads? Do you have any detection of rotating proxies used to click ads en mass or similar approaches?

Looking forward to seeing this become a great product!

Yes I plan on adding campaigns later so that advertisers can target there bids across a large selection of websites.

I do have anti-scam protection. First of all the IP must be unique. Second of all the HTTP REFERRER must be from the website supplying the ad. Thirdly we block known proxy IPs.

On top of that we will actively ban any publishers known to be cheating clicks.

ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 07:55:05 AM

Going back to coinurl.

Sorry about that. There was a small bug in the code preview window which wasnt including the <a> tag. I have updated it correctly if you would like to try again.

And yes it's correct you do not make money unless someone bids. Although once you receive bids they should hopefully be higher than what other ad services are paying you.

The problem is you make nothing until the service takes off. It's a catch-22. You either place an ad spot and hope at some point the site takes off, or don't place an ad spot and advertisers have nothing to bid on.

That's not even my big problem though; it's the fact that this deals with CPC and I hate CPC with a passion. It is the worst business model ever and it caters to the advertisers more than anyone. Why? Because an advertiser can have a crappy ad on a highly targeted site. This means no clicks, at no fault to the website owner. On the other hand, you could have an awesome ad on a crappy website that is thrown together randomly and get tons of clicks.

In other words, we (as the publishers) are at the pure mercy of the advertisers making good choices with their ads. This is horrible business practice.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
BitVegas (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 07:58:08 AM

The problem is you make nothing until the service takes off. It's a catch-22. You either place an ad spot and hope at some point the site takes off, or don't place an ad spot and advertisers have nothing to bid on.

That's not even my big problem though; it's the fact that this deals with CPC and I hate CPC with a passion. It is the worst business model ever and it caters to the advertisers more than anyone. Why? Because an advertiser can have a crappy ad on a highly targeted site. This means no clicks, at no fault to the website owner. On the other hand, you could have an awesome ad on a crappy website that is thrown together randomly and get tons of clicks.

In other words, we (as the publishers) are at the pure mercy of the advertisers making good choices with their ads. This is horrible business practice.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes it's the common Catch-22 of any website launch like this. I have a bunch of things planned to get the website going. You can also use the adspace on your site alongside another ad-networks ad-box if you like until it gets some bids.

As with the CPC modal. I appreciate the feedback. I could perhaps design of a choice of system where advertisers pay-per-day of advertising if that would suit you better?

Alternatively, you can already enable 'approve ads' which means as a publisher, you can choose which ads are shown on your website. You can choose to only show ads that you are known for users to click. Although this may not be the best method.

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 08:01:15 AM

This is why CPC is bad:

(Quote this post)

Your site is also HTTP. Please get a SSL certificate.
BitVegas (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 08:07:38 AM

This is why CPC is bad:

(Quote this post)

Your site is also HTTP. Please get a SSL certificate.

The system checks the HTTP REFERRER so these clicks will not count towards your total click count. And yes I will be getting a SSL certificate shortly.

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Yes it's the common Catch-22 of any website launch like this. I have a bunch of things planned to get the website going. You can also use the adspace on your site alongside another ad-networks ad-box if you like until it gets some bids.

As with the CPC modal. I appreciate the feedback. I could perhaps design of a choice of system where advertisers pay-per-day of advertising if that would suit you better?

Alternatively, you can already enable 'approve ads' which means as a publisher, you can choose which ads are shown on your website. You can choose to only show ads that you are known for users to click. Although this may not be the best method.

Going based on the day would be a lot better for sure. It also benefits both publishers and advertisers in that we all know ahead of time how much to expect in terms of costs.

It's actually what I use on CoinFaucets when people contact me about advertising on the site. CPM also works to a point, although I think going with flat-rate is easier all-around.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
BitVegas (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 08:24:29 AM

Going based on the day would be a lot better for sure. It also benefits both publishers and advertisers in that we all know ahead of time how much to expect in terms of costs.

It's actually what I use on CoinFaucets when people contact me about advertising on the site. CPM also works to a point, although I think going with flat-rate is easier all-around.

My actual original plan was to pay-per-hour. So the system is already 50% done. I will work on adding it so publishers can choose CPC or CPH (cost per hour). Or if enough people are against CPC I might just replace it all together for CPH

My goal is to make this system fair for everyone! Thanks for all the feedback

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 08:34:24 AM

My actual original plan was to pay-per-hour. So the system is already 50% done. I will work on adding it so publishers can choose CPC or CPH (cost per hour). Or if enough people are against CPC I might just replace it all together for CPH

My goal is to make this system fair for everyone! Thanks for all the feedback

Cost per hour is an interesting idea...

One suggestion I'd like to make is to open the doors for other coins as well. For example, I don't care if I'm paid in BTC, LTC or a multitude of other coins; I try to spread out my finances anyways. The more options people have for paying, the better off it is I think.

BitVegas (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 08:41:43 AM

Cost per hour is an interesting idea...

One suggestion I'd like to make is to open the doors for other coins as well. For example, I don't care if I'm paid in BTC, LTC or a multitude of other coins; I try to spread out my finances anyways. The more options people have for paying, the better off it is I think.

Yeah the reason i do cost-per-hour instead of cost-per-day is because that way the system can check for a new highest bid every hour. And as an advertiser if you are out-bid one minute after placing your ad, you know your ad will still be shown for the whole hour.

Other coins is a great idea although I will look into that a bit later down the track.

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 08:42:42 AM

Add bid steps, otherwise people will just bid 1 satoshi higher.
BitVegas (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 08:43:39 AM

Add bid steps, otherwise people will just bid 1 satoshi higher.

This already exists. Try bidding an amount like 0.050312 and you will see.

BitVegas (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 10:19:58 AM
Last edit: August 04, 2013, 10:35:43 AM by BitVegas

Because of your feedback, we are now pay-per-hour! Hopefully no bugs during the change Smiley

If you become the highest bidder you must wait until the next hour for your ad to become live. Unless the adspace has no current ad, in which your ad is instantly displayed, you pay for the next hour and get the remainder of the hour for free.

ingrownpocket
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 10:25:08 AM

Avast blocks the website (malware).
BitVegas (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 10:36:08 AM

Avast blocks the website (malware).

I'm looking into this now. Unsure why this is happening. Does it give specific reasons?

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 10:47:23 AM

Because of your feedback, we are now pay-per-hour! Hopefully no bugs during the change Smiley

If you become the highest bidder you must wait until the next hour for your ad to become live. Unless the adspace has no current ad, in which your ad is instantly displayed, you pay for the next hour and get the remainder of the hour for free.
This is a bit silly. You shouldn't tie arbitrary range units, simply have a price per day with infinite precision. It's quite simple, store a "lastaccess". If the price per day was 1 BTC and the last access was 24 hours ago, then deduct 1 BTC from the advertiser's account. If the last access was only 1 hour ago, then deduct 0.0416 BTC from the advertiser's account.
BitVegas (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 11:18:30 AM

This is a bit silly. You shouldn't tie arbitrary range units, simply have a price per day with infinite precision. It's quite simple, store a "lastaccess". If the price per day was 1 BTC and the last access was 24 hours ago, then deduct 1 BTC from the advertiser's account. If the last access was only 1 hour ago, then deduct 0.0416 BTC from the advertiser's account.

I agree. Ads being able to displayed instantly is better. I still think charging per hour is ok. What I can implement is if another ad becomes the highest bidder, the previous ad is refunded the remainder of the hour (as he pre paid it) and the new ad pays the remaining minutes of the hour.

The reason I didn't do this yet was because in order to 'refund' the remaining hour I have to change the system so that advertisers pay at the start of the hour and publishers get paid at the end, so that when a refund is needed the publisher can't have cashed out that money. Not hard to implement but I figured getting up the first half of the system to get rid of CPC was essential before people used the site.

In the end this system should work how you describe where you pay for the exact length of you ad. It's just determined in 'hours'.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  

Jump to: