Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:33:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitstamp exchange of currencies: stealing money of the deposit by employees  (Read 5567 times)
2kilo (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 05:52:08 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2018, 10:29:24 PM by 2kilo

The story about how Bitstamp steals customer’s money..

Since 2014 I had been trading at the Bitstamp. The account has been verified for several years. For the recent time, every month turnover exceeded a quarter million $, at the time this story occurred, my deposit on the exchange was about $ 40,000. The Bitstamp seemed to me to be a serious organisation, which also had a license for its activities in Europe, so I chose it and I knew that it would not fail. How could I been wrong then.

It all started with the fact that on November 27, its representative TOMAŽ R. contacted me with standard KYC questions, as I have nothing to hide, I do not sponsor terrorists (I think now that if I sponsored, I would not be asked any questions at all), but my money is clean (most of them, by the way, it was earned on their own exchange currencies, which they saw), I answered all his questions, but every day the questions were become more and more to me.

They demanded documents, explanations on which addresses, when and why I transferred the assets that I bought legally, then why do I go to their stock exchange constantly from a country other than my residence, etc. The questions were too much, the answers were too much!

Almost every day, when I went into the exchange currencies, I saw new questions in his ticket. And again, I patiently answered them, including the most absurd questions.
For unexplained reasons, during the period from November 27 to December 27, Bitstamp completely blocked the withdrawal of my funds from the system, but after my legitimate questions about the reason of these locks removed them. At the end of December, I completely disconnected the withdrawal of funds and even the possibility of trading. So I not only began to lose money, because of the disconnection of trade, also my deposit was completely blocked.

On the 27th of December at 10:04 (UTC, MSK + 3) I created a ticket # 315624 where I asked a question - what the reason  of the withdrawal of funds and trading on my account was blocked several times. And I explained that if they continue such "partnership relations" with me, I will have to give up their services.

After 5 hours waiting, when I checked the created ticket, I have noticed that the next to the ID of my account, the prefix "_deleted" appeared. Then I was seriously worried about my money, which I trusted my "partners". Then I tried to enter the exchange currencies from another browser without closing the active window. When they told me that the ID or the password is not correct, the alarm increased, because on that day I wanted to withdraw some of the earned money for organising the New Year and buying presents to my relatives.

I could still be for a while in their system, because my session was not completed. I took advantage of this and began to save everything that could be of any value. After that, at 16:58 (UTC, MSK + 3), I created a ticket # 316764, where I asked to explain, why I have an account with all resources marked as "remote"?

I did not receive a response nor on that day, nor on the next, nor until now. The next day when the session was over, I could no longer enter the exchange currencies. Also I could not recover the password for the mail. The system promised to send it, that the account with such mail exists. Apparently, taking my money, they no longer considered me like their client. Hours of waiting some mail, and nothing brought. I did not leave attempts to contact the company further. First I wrote them to support@bitstamp.net from the contact mail (ticket SUPPORT-45685). In the letter I asked just one question - Why was the account with my ID  deleted? Today, December 30, none of my many requests for such a serious problem,  received no answers. Next, I tried to contact the company by phone in London, listed on their website at +44 20 8133 5474. I called them from 5 different countries (USA, European and Russia), for all calls, the answering machine answered that the call was not available. It’s supporting of this company.

A few of my colleagues from Russia (I can not say about other countries) working with Bitstamp are faced with the same problems, only their accounts are not removed yet. If you have big resources there, I would recommend you that they be withdrawn from there, until this situation is resolved. It’s dangerous for your money.

The result. New Years mood is failed. Trust in Bitstamp is destroyed. Every day I lose money, because I can not trade my deposit. Reflecting on the situation, I can also assume a "fantastic story" when a person wishing to unlock operations on my account, in the  eve of New Year's corporate bluntly misses the button and presses "delete". But no matter how it is, it does not release from responsibility and consequences.

If it’s necessary I can provide all the evidence of correspondence and other circumstances, but I think the information will be more than enough. As the situation develops I will also expound it here. I think that representatives of the company will try to "move out". But the best solution for them is to apologise and return stolen funds at a minimum!

Topic on the Russian-language resource Bits.media: https://forum.bits.media/index.php?/topic/63200-%D0%BA%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%BF%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B0%D0%BB%D1%8E%D1%82%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%8F-%D0%B1%D0%B8%D1%80%D0%B6%D0%B0-bitstamp-%D0%B2%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B2%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B2%D0%BE-%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%B7%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%B0-%D1%81%D0%BE%D1%82%D1%80%D1%83%D0%B4%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B0%D0%BC%D0%B8/

Screenshot of the first ticket from Bitstamp: https://forum.bits.media/uploads/monthly_2017_12/5a47b8b298c06_2017-12-3018_56_38.thumb.png.928623f3dbcb17263c82b3ff3042c074.png

UPD1 If you are in a similar situation, watch this post https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2679324.msg27676241#msg27676241
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
2kilo (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 01:57:51 AM

Topic of Russian Thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2679347
2kilo (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 02:41:18 AM

On the resource Reddit, the move detection of several victims:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitstamp/comments/7nqq5u/bitcoin_litecoin_and_ripple_stuck_in_bitstamp_for/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitstamp/comments/7nqbxs/bitstampdomen_please_help_me_out_man_still/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitstamp/comments/7nr08x/unable_to_withdraw/

My thread on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitstamp/comments/7nrlab/employees_of_the_company_are_involved_in_theft_of/
crypto_curious

Activity: 924
Merit: 175

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 03:27:13 AM

Shocking. Bitstamp dare to comment? Let's get this to the media to bring people's attention to this situation. Make sure you upvote on reddit. OP, you posted this on Twitter?
2kilo (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 03:44:26 AM

Shocking. Bitstamp dare to comment? Let's get this to the media to bring people's attention to this situation. Make sure you upvote on reddit. OP, you posted this on Twitter?

I have not written in Twitter yet. Now, I plan to contact the CEO of Bitstamp. If possible, help with the dissemination of information
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2018, 03:50:49 AM

"use an exchange", the fucking shills said...

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
2kilo (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 04:15:19 AM

Men, you carefully read the text? Where is written "use"? I wrote do NOT use the exchange, until the solution of these facts of stealing customer money from the staff
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2018, 07:42:57 AM

Men, you carefully read the text? Where is written "use"? I wrote do NOT use the exchange, until the solution of these facts of stealing customer money from the staff

Right, we used an exchange like the fucking "use an exchange" shills said we should do, and we got your funds stolen because of it.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Bitstamp-Domen

Activity: 7

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 01:44:17 PM

Hello. We have responded to your email and provided a full explanation of your account status. The reason for the delay in responding is because of the increased demand we are currently witnessing.  We have requested your account details in order to send your funds immediately, and are awaiting your response.
crypto_curious

Activity: 924
Merit: 175

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 01:47:27 PM

Hello. We have responded to your email and provided a full explanation of your account status. The reason for the delay in responding is because of the increased demand we are currently witnessing.  We have requested your account details in order to send your funds immediately, and are awaiting your response.

So you admiting everything what is described here is true? Shocking.

Why his account has been closed in the first place?
kiss moon

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 02:44:43 PM

Bitstamp-Domen You deign to respond to my ticket from December 13 SUPPORT-31882. Since December 13, there are no answers, the account is terminated, money is not returned. When will the refund be made? Since November 23, 2017 I do not have my money. Today is January 3, 2018. 2killo Update your topic
KafkaFR

Activity: 40

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 03:06:11 PM

I am waiting for validation 1.5 month in Bitstamp. I sended all documents identity card or other documents...I woried if they accept my validation that will be my orders one month sell or buy. I confused.
tbazooka

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 03:19:40 PM

Shocked It would be great if we can read that "full explanation", because men, this is serious... closing an account that way is the worst way to proceed. I think i'm moving out from bitstamp for a while...
kiss moon

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 03:39:22 PM

Shocked It would be great if we can read that "full explanation", because men, this is serious... closing an account that way is the worst way to proceed. I think i'm moving out from bitstamp for a while...

In my case, the explanation was this:

"After careful consideration, Bitstamp decided to terminate Your access to Your Account in accordance with our Terms of Use. Your account will be terminated from the date of this notice having been received by you. This notice shall be treated as having been served upon completion of the transmission of this email.

The decision to terminate your Account has been reached following a close examination of your recent account activity and information which you have provided. It is our view that any continuation of our relationship would not be appropriate at this time due to internal policies.

Your account balance will be returned to the bank account specified in your last bank withdrawal request, costs withheld.

For more information, see our Terms of Use: https://www.bitstamp.net/terms-of-use/

Best regards,
Bitstamp Team"

I do not know their internal policy and I do not understand how I can violate their rules if I come to change buy or sell coins.
warningsigns

Activity: 896
Merit: 1082

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 05:56:59 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2018, 06:13:41 PM by warningsigns

Unfortunately these decisions they make are almost always not eligible for appeal. The after careful consideration phrase usually implies they did a serious analysis of your fiat and crypto transactions and decided there is something they don't agree with. Perhaps excessive inward and outward movements which might suggest structured transactions. A structured transaction is a suspicious series of transfers which a bank (in this case Bitstamp) suspects might be related to money laundering.

As you can see, they asked a lot of questions. These are usually questions asked when money laundering or an AML policy violation is suspected.

If you suspect this was an unfair decision, you can escalate the matter by writing to the Luxembourg financial regulatory authorities or the Commission de Surveillance du Secteur Financier. The website is http://www.cssf.lu/en/

I suggest you continue trying to contact Bitstamp first and let them know that you will advance the matter to the CSSF if they do not allow you access to your funds. Try contacting them on their Facebook and Twitter pages. You should also PM their representative here and inform them about your intention to escalate the matter to the CSSF for arbitration or clarification.

If they have a solid case against you (for example, if there is indeed a strong suspicion of money laundering after they carefully studied your account's fiat movements) then they have a right and even an obligation to close and sanction your account (which is what the account closure is). The money you have on that account, if any, must be explained. Will they return it or not? If they are not returning it, then it's probably because they suspect your account was used to commit money laundering.

Exchanges will also close accounts if assets within that account are, after considering a balance of probabilities, difficult to ascertain as truly yours and yours alone. When money laundering is suspected, they usually consider the possibility of third parties being the true owners of some or all of the funds. 

Bitstamp is not a scam exchange. They have proper audit and accountability systems in place.

exchange.blue

Activity: 420
Merit: 40

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 08:19:59 PM

Unfortunately these decisions they make are almost always not eligible for appeal. The after careful consideration phrase usually implies they did a serious analysis of your fiat and crypto transactions and decided there is something they don't agree with. Perhaps excessive inward and outward movements which might suggest structured transactions. A structured transaction is a suspicious series of transfers which a bank (in this case Bitstamp) suspects might be related to money laundering.

As you can see, they asked a lot of questions. These are usually questions asked when money laundering or an AML policy violation is suspected.

If you suspect this was an unfair decision, you can escalate the matter by writing to the Luxembourg financial regulatory authorities or the Commission de Surveillance du Secteur Financier. The website is http://www.cssf.lu/en/

I suggest you continue trying to contact Bitstamp first and let them know that you will advance the matter to the CSSF if they do not allow you access to your funds. Try contacting them on their Facebook and Twitter pages. You should also PM their representative here and inform them about your intention to escalate the matter to the CSSF for arbitration or clarification.

If they have a solid case against you (for example, if there is indeed a strong suspicion of money laundering after they carefully studied your account's fiat movements) then they have a right and even an obligation to close and sanction your account (which is what the account closure is). The money you have on that account, if any, must be explained. Will they return it or not? If they are not returning it, then it's probably because they suspect your account was used to commit money laundering.

Exchanges will also close accounts if assets within that account are, after considering a balance of probabilities, difficult to ascertain as truly yours and yours alone. When money laundering is suspected, they usually consider the possibility of third parties being the true owners of some or all of the funds. 

Bitstamp is not a scam exchange. They have proper audit and accountability systems in place.

This guy is full of opinions, always sticks his 2 useless cents without having a clue on the subject!
kiss moon

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 02:39:02 AM

Bitstamp can not refuse the money. In any financial business, there are terms of refund after closure of accounts. Without a court decision, no one can withhold other people's money. If there is an investigation by the police, then the client whose account is closed should be notified that a case has been opened against him. They can send data to the police, but MUST return the money as soon as possible. If the police conduct a covert investigation on suspicion of illegal activities, the police will not notify and retain money. All that happens is the Beatstamp team's self-activity. As there is a presumption of innocence, before we prove that someone is committing illegal operations, we need to check the investigation and prove the guilt - this is the responsibility of the police. The police are monitoring to the last and will never tell you about it and will not close your account, because the police will collect the dossier. There are people who wait in the spring and autumn of 2017 for a refund of money after the closure of accounts and something the police has not yet summoned them for questioning and has not proven illegal activities.
warningsigns

Activity: 896
Merit: 1082

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 03:08:57 AM
Last edit: January 04, 2018, 07:12:34 AM by warningsigns

This guy is full of opinions, always sticks his 2 useless cents without having a clue on the subject!

“Sticking my 2 useless cents” is far better than a criminal like you looking for opportunities to defraud people of their coins. You should grow up and find a decent paying job, instead of feeding yourself with food paid for with stolen coins.

But of course one can’t expect incorrigible criminals to earn honorably and honestly. Especially habitual scammers like you who offer to build shady exchanges overnight and sell them to unsuspecting buyers sans escrow protection!

2kilo (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 05:01:23 AM

They finally responded to the last ticket I created. But only after this hype began. Again, the removal of customer accounts, in many countries can be considered by the court as fraud.
Will I get back my money, or not, I'll keep you posted, here. At the moment, for more than a week now, I'm still, I'm left without my money.

Why his account has been closed in the first place?
On this question, you no one will answer. Because, he does not exist.
pascal257

Activity: 493
Merit: 262

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 03:11:00 PM

Bitstamp is known for coming up with a detailed questionaire once you try to withdraw money.

Has anyone in the past questioned on which legal basis this happens? Has anyone studied the ToS if they're allowed to do that?

Let this be a warning for anyone, who thinks about exchanging their fiat or coins on Bitstamp. You WILL be asked to strip down naked and answer ANYTHING they come up with. And don't you dare not beeing able to prove everything. Your withdrawal will be denied, they forcibly exchange your fiat back, making a nice profit and waving goodbye.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: