Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:07:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Bounty.05btc] USB drives stops/freeze/hangs [Resolved]  (Read 20004 times)
Fiyasko (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 03:41:19 PM
Last edit: August 06, 2013, 03:58:36 AM by JackRabiit

ok, i've been up all night, i cant fix the issue, so im putting up a bounty
Heres the problem compacted into a small paragraph so i can goto sleep and hopefully wakeup with a fix, Im jumping up and down yelling at this crap:
When doing a "large" amount of "usage" on the USB flash drive, It hangs and stops, locking up my explorer until i unplug the drive.
examples of how this happens and how it does not
1.) copy small files one by one works, but at some point it will fail on one of them and hang/freeze
2.) Searching the drive causes it to hang after brining up a few results
3.) Reading and writing large files on and off the (>20mb!!!) causes the drive to hang after transfering some of the data
4.) Running a HDD test causes the drive to Hang, but on a functional computer, the HDD test shows nothing wrong
Every fucking time without fail, regardless of USB flash drive or USB port, the damn thing moves along at full speed, and Randomly FREEZES and HANGS before it can even get to 50%

Heres the thing that pisses me off even more, This started happening out of nowhere, i can't even trace back to when it started because i hadnt had to "move" so much data before
The USB drives i am trying work on two computers, and fail on two differant computers, they are a 8gb sticks
All are running win7 64bit

Here is my dxdiag
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=XQC8gSqu

Please help me, And please look into things that might fix this, I am exhausted mentally and am pulling at my hair
Windows updates are not helping, KB96xxxx doesnt work either

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Conclusion------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The USB devices do not work when CGMiner is running?
Run test- All clear
Run test with cgminer running - Fail
Turn off CGMiner and retest - Works
Turn on CGMiner and test - Fails
Disable GPU with CGMiner running - Fail

Seriously? Why is CGMiner doing this?! im running 3.3.0, I guess i'll go update...

Edit: Updating to the most recent CGminer did not help

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 03:58:26 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2013, 04:10:58 PM by escrow.ms

Which usbdrives you are using? company name/model?

Ps: Are you using them on front panel? if yes try to use them via back panel and see if you are getting any issues.

and install latest mobo chipset driver/usb controller driver.

You are using ASUSTek Mobo i guess.
Fiyasko (OP)
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 04:01:36 PM

Sandisk "cruzer edge" 8gb
and Dane Elec 8gb

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 04:19:27 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2013, 08:27:06 PM by escrow.ms

Sandisk "cruzer edge" 8gb
and Dane Elec 8gb

Your mobo have usb 3.0
Both usb drives are  usb 2.0 drives but not sure if that should be a issue.
play

Activity: 267
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 07:13:43 PM

Use a program called "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool".

▄▄▄                                               
         ██▀█▀▀▀▀█▄                                         
         █▌██     █▌                                       
         █▌███     ▀█    ▄▄▄          ▄▄▄▄▄                 
        ▐█ ██████   ▀██▀▀▀ █▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀████               
        ██ ████       ▀▀                 ████▄         ▄▄▄   
       ▐█▌ ▄▄███████████▄  ▄███████████▄ ████▌      ▄████ 
      ███ ▄█████▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀ ▐███▌    ▀████▌ ▀████   ▄████▀   
      ██ ▄████▀███████████ ▐███▌███  ▐███▌   ████▄████▀     
     ▐██▐████ █ ███ ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▐███▄▄▄▄▄████▀█ ███▀█████▀       
    ▄██▌████▌ █ ██████████▌▐████████████▄  ███▄█████▄       
   ▐███▌▐█████  ██████████ ▐████████ ▐███▌██ ▄████████▄     
   ████▌▀███▄▄  ██ ▄▄████ ▐███████   ████▄████▀ ▀█████▄   
  ▐████▌██▀██████████████▀ ▐████████████▀▄████▀     ▀█████▄
  ▀▀▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀

──────  A Crypto Exchange Unlike Any Other
  ✔ SECURITY   ✔ TRANSPARENCY   ✔ ACCESSIBILITY
Telegram
Facebook
Twitter
Bitcointalk
Reddit
Website

HERO/LEGENDARY MEMBER
travisio

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 08:24:51 PM

These programs may sometimes conflict with sandisk usb drives:

Samsung Kies
    Sony Play Memories
    Sony PC Companion
    VMware Player
    HTCMonitorSevice
    HTCSync

do you use any of these on your PCs?
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2013, 09:11:42 PM

You should run H2 test on the USB sticks. It is a program that writes a pattern to the full reported storage space and reads it back, it will find bad flash or especially counterfeit flash memory with a fake size:

http://www.heise.de/ct/Software-zur-aktuellen-Ausgabe-5460.html

Then you should re-format them FAT32 with full surface check (not quick format).
Fiyasko (OP)
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 10:20:32 PM

As i stated above, the issue happens regardless of usb drive or port and it previously Did Not Exsist.
I am not home right now so i cant try deepcelerons idea.
No i do not have any of those programs installed
Ive formatted the devices many times in many differant ways, they work just fine on computers other than my two main ones.
Tablet-works
Laptop-works
Gaming desktop- randomly started happening
Mining rig- same problem
Brothers desktop- works

MRKLYE
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Designer - Developer

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2013, 10:54:55 PM

What class are these USB sticks?
Constant read write on cheaper sticks tend to wear them out quite fast.
Can't remember the exact number or reads and writes the average lifetime of the devices is. But it is finite.

You could try using the program Zadig to update the used drivers on it perhaps?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libwdi/files/zadig/

Hopefully help you!

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄████▀▀`````````▀▀████▄
███▀```````````````````▀███
███`````````````````````````███
██```````````██``██````````````██
██````````▄▄▄▄██▄▄██▄▄▄▄`````````██
██`````````▀██████████████▄````````██
██`````````````███`````▀████`````````██
▐█▌`````````````███`````▄███▀`````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███████████▄``````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███```````████````````▐█▌
██`````````````███`````▄▄████````````██
██`````````▄██████████████▀````````██
██````````▀▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀▀▀`````````██
██```````````██``██````````````██
███`````````````````````````███
███▄```````````````````▄███
▀████▄▄`````````▄▄████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
FREE
BITCOINS.com

`````````▄
````````▄█▄
``````▄█████▄
`````█████████
```▄███████████▄
``███████████████
`█████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
██▌▀███████████████
`██``▀████████████
``██▄```▀████████
```▀███▄▄`█████▀
``````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

FAUCET
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

``````````````````▄▄▄▄▄▄
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````██████``██████
``````````██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████

██████████████████████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

XCHANGE
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

```````````▄
`````````▄██
```````▄████
`````▄██████████▄
`````▀███████████▄
```````▀████``▀████
█``````▄`▀██````▀██
██▄````██▄`▀``````█
████▄``████▄
`▀███████████▄
``▀██████████▀
```````████▀
```````██▀
```````▀

SWAP
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
QuantumKiwi

Activity: 322

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2013, 11:25:12 PM

Had a chat with our senior engineers here.

Recommendations:

Update your chipset drivers ( motherboard drivers )

Complete a speed test on the flash sticks, see what they bug out on - sequential read/writes or both.

USB 3.0 will not cause any issues, its an open standard - 2.0 is 120% supported.

How old are the sticks? Do take into consideration flash drives only have a limited data usage life, e.g how many cycles are used.

Also what file system are you running on the drives? Some drives dont like fat, some dont like ntfs.

Starting your own website?
CLOUD Hosting from $4.95/0.05BTC!
Fiyasko (OP)
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 05:40:10 PM
Last edit: August 05, 2013, 08:29:18 PM by JackRabiit

Both usb sticks had been used for backups, one is a once used backup of my keyring flash drive, the other has been used for wallet backups, the backup flash drive is about a year old, the keyring backup one i bought and used once 3years ago, the keyring flash drives contain 6gbish of data, and work Perfectly Fine on other computers, and used to work perfectly fine on my main computers!, seriously i can grab any fully functional (sadly all the drives in our house are 8-16gb) usb hdd and it doesnt work in my main comps. Its not the usb sticks.

I havent touched my drivers, I havent changed hardware, i dont have antivirus on majority of the computers (not mine/dont use them) when i disable it there's no differance, tried usb3.0&2.0, no change, tried front panel usb ports and back ones, no changes in behavior...

Had a chat with our senior engineers here.

Recommendations:

Update your chipset drivers ( motherboard drivers )

Complete a speed test on the flash sticks, see what they bug out on - sequential read/writes or both.

USB 3.0 will not cause any issues, its an open standard - 2.0 is 120% supported.

How old are the sticks? Do take into consideration flash drives only have a limited data usage life, e.g how many cycles are used.

Also what file system are you running on the drives? Some drives dont like fat, some dont like ntfs.

Thats a good idea to test when i get home, i just ran test at my buddies house (not home) and it works perfrctly fine, no errors, speeds fine... used HDTune..

Ive tried all manners of formats on the drives to no avail, makes no differance other than speed
Of course ive taken into account the limited read/writes, thats why i made backups

Fiyasko (OP)
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 05:41:32 PM

Thankyou everyone whos read this thread, i really appreaciate your consideration of helping

gbl08ma

Activity: 306

Donations: http://tny.im/nx

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 05:59:45 PM

Thankyou everyone whos read this thread, i really appreaciate your consideration of helping

1. Not everyone who reads can or is willing to help (and has no obligation to do so);
2. People who can and want to help may run out of ideas at some point.
But I understand your frustration, specially if you are "exhausted mentally".

You said that you didn't touch your drivers, but has Windows Update or any other of those "wonderful" drive updating tools done it?
And I couldn't understand from your posts, but does the problem occur with any USB sticks that you connect to that computer, or just with these two sticks?

Do you have any other USB hardware that puts stress on the USB transfer (e.g. HD-quality webcam), that you can connect to see if the problem is just with mass storage devices, or with any kind of USB devices?

Can you boot some Linux distro on these computers, transfer big amounts of data to and from the USB sticks, and see if problematic behavior occurs on Linux too?

Fiyasko (OP)
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 08:28:16 PM

1. Not everyone who reads can or is willing to help (and has no obligation to do so);
2. People who can and want to help may run out of ideas at some point.
But I understand your frustration, specially if you are "exhausted mentally".

You said that you didn't touch your drivers, but has Windows Update or any other of those "wonderful" drive updating tools done it?
And I couldn't understand from your posts, but does the problem occur with any USB sticks that you connect to that computer, or just with these two sticks?

Do you have any other USB hardware that puts stress on the USB transfer (e.g. HD-quality webcam), that you can connect to see if the problem is just with mass storage devices, or with any kind of USB devices?

Can you boot some Linux distro on these computers, transfer big amounts of data to and from the USB sticks, and see if problematic behavior occurs on Linux too?
Not at all and ofcourse, but many people who read this thread considered on helping.
I'll try an external hdd for "stress", i dont have anything else.
The usb drives work flawlessly and at fullspeed on all computers AND devices, the usb drives themselves are fine, HDTune reported no issues, my computer and one other are having the same usb issue with any usb flash drive, even ones prooven to function flawlessly.
Windows update is set to manual, and i dont use any driver updating bloatware.

/dev/null

Activity: 308

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 09:18:23 PM

Did you tried to check your hard disk drives? or that data you are copying?
Seems like it's heavily fragmented or some other issue.

otherwise do one thing.

Try to copy big data again and monitor temperatures this time..

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

QuantumKiwi

Activity: 322

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 09:53:36 PM

Our senior I.T engineer has researched the subject, its either your chipset or corrupt system files that handle USB connections/mounting of FS's.

Chipset drivers - have you updated them to the manufacturers latest drivers listed on their website? ( NOT WINDOWS CHIPSET DRIVERS )

Also have you done an SFC check?

Starting your own website?
CLOUD Hosting from $4.95/0.05BTC!
digit
Legendary

Activity: 1672
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 10:26:59 PM

Have you tried doing this in safe mode?  No luck with that, then you should try again with a live cd/dvd or emergency boot cd/dvd.

Stay Safe and use NO KYC exchanges ■ Craig Wright is NOT Satoshi  ■
BTC:1DigitwteXwFcRAaWpVDRp6eKqzC6y9tgm ■ ŁTC:LKMcEHoFWHAUoRscqW1cwjhLgFrk7MgCWU ■ Coinkit:digit ■ §digit
Fiyasko (OP)
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 11:56:52 PM
Last edit: August 06, 2013, 12:40:00 AM by JackRabiit

Alright so im finally home, Heres what im going to do, Install (whatever newest) chipset and usb drivers i can find for my specific mobo.
If that doesnt work, Safemode *eyeroll* shoulda tried this sooner although i have Heavy doubts it'll make a differance.
Im gonna run a sfc right now, I hope it magically finds something, Fixes it, and restores my usb functionality back to normal

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

The log file is so big that it Locks up Pastebin... Scimming through it i dont see anything of value in the log, But i don't know what im looking for.

installed new drivers for chipset and usb including flashing my bios, No changes
Usb sticks still lockup

digit
Legendary

Activity: 1672
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2013, 12:47:48 AM

after it happens the usb lockup, did you check windows logs in the event viewer? (right click on computer > manage, then event viewer > windows logs from side panel in management window)  it should show some messages related to whats happening with the usb stick

Stay Safe and use NO KYC exchanges ■ Craig Wright is NOT Satoshi  ■
BTC:1DigitwteXwFcRAaWpVDRp6eKqzC6y9tgm ■ ŁTC:LKMcEHoFWHAUoRscqW1cwjhLgFrk7MgCWU ■ Coinkit:digit ■ §digit
Fiyasko (OP)
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 12:49:03 AM
Last edit: August 06, 2013, 03:13:33 AM by JackRabiit

after it happens the usb lockup, did you check windows logs in the event viewer? (right click on computer > manage, then event viewer > windows logs from side panel)  it should show some messages related to whats happening with the usb stick
Thats the first place i checked Sad
USB transfers are working normally under safe mode (im on safe mode right now, Its all working fine)

Hopefully now with a way to make it work, We can work backwards to figure out whats stopping it

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: