Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 09:35:48 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Yifu is the man!  (Read 3999 times)
cryptograd (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 02:29:38 AM
Last edit: August 05, 2013, 05:40:47 AM by cryptograd

http://www.efinancialnews.com/story/2013-08-05/bitcoin-gold-rush-heats-up-with-private-equity-deal

Shocked

Discuss

Yifu is a smart guy and blessing to BTCitcoin

I credit him with that early jump in February, he will make this $200M work right

I say buy all the coins you can now before the week is over

#Boss

Liked something I said ->17ry6rrknqmQ2S1NRArzdrNMmG2Zk449AE
Most important bitcointalk post in history
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=120184.msg1381739#msg1381739
iikun
Legendary

Activity: 1062
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 02:33:42 AM

already been discussed & debunked. It's a different "Avalon".
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=268081.0
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 02:41:38 AM

In that case the WSJ are running with the piece and it's either on the money, or a hoax that has seemingly convinced a major newspaper. Surely editors proof this stuff?

This is either the worst thing that could happen to the centralisation of Bitcoin, or an act of genius.

Yifu has apparently not been idling away opportunity.

I hope he knows what he's doing, and this is not greed.

Fingers crossed, becasue that earliest article mentioned an ex Lehman bond trader that acted as a senior government adviser handled introductions. Bitcoin surfaced from the ruins of the financial fraud that took place at banks such as Lehmans theough the miselling of sub prime bonds. Lehman's was one of the key causes and casulties responsible for the finacial collapse of '08 leading to the largest transfer of wealth in the world via quantitative easing. Obviously no one here knows these guys, or their intentions, but on paper they are the last people you want preaching of decentralisation and fair money...

from the speculation thread, published by wall street journal online, maybe make you guys feel better?
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323997004578644491403250124.html
not sure how to get full article, i just copied and pasted from the observer thread in speculation

Joe Lewis, a billionaire foreign-exchange trader who teamed up with hedge-fund manager George Soros in 1992 to bet against the Bank of England, is the latest high-profile financier to throw his weight behind the virtual currency called bitcoin.

Mr. Lewis leads the Phoenix Fund, a Zurich-based private-equity fund that on Tuesday plans to invest $200 million in Avalon, a company that makes computer servers aimed at creating bitcoins, according to people familiar with the situation.

Bitcoin is a virtual currency that exists online and isn't backed by any government or central bank. Bitcoins were invented in 2008 by a computer programmer who goes by the pseudonym Satoshi Nakamoto, who describes it as a peer-to-peer electronic cash system.

Joe Lewis's Phoenix Fund is investing in a bitcoin company.

The Phoenix Fund's investment in Avalon reflects the growing popularity of virtual currencies, which are also coming under scrutiny from regulators. Other bitcoin enthusiasts include Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss, who are best known for their role in the creation of Facebook Inc. FB +1.50% They have proposed an exchange-traded fund that is tied to bitcoins.

Bitcoins are created through a process called mining, in which computers solve complex mathematical algorithms to earn the bitcoins. The total number of bitcoins that can be mined is limited to 21 million. There are now about 11.5 million bitcoins in circulation, according to Blockchain, a website that monitors bitcoin transactions.

The Phoenix deal will also involve Taiwanese microchip maker Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., 2330.TW +0.50% which is set to supply the state-of-the-art microchips that will power the hardware.

The Phoenix Fund was set up this year to invest in bitcoin mining-hardware companies. It looked at several of Avalon's rivals in the sector, including Butterfly Labs and KnCMiner but decided against investing, according to a person familiar with the private-equity firm's strategy.

Investors in the Phoenix Fund, which includes a small number of individuals who made their fortunes in currency trading, believe that the currency will become more stable and popular if more parties are involved in the mining process, this person said.

Mr. Lewis moved into currency trading in the 1980s and 1990s. In September 1992, Mr. Lewis teamed up with Mr. Soros to bet on sterling crashing out of the European Exchange Rate Mechanism, an event that was later named "Black Wednesday." Mr. Lewis didn't respond to a request for comment.

Mr. Lewis had big losses investing in U.S. brokerage firm Bear Stearns Cos, in which he began amassing a stake during 2007, The Wall Street Journal reported at the time.

Mr. Lewis is the main investor in an unlisted company called Tavistock Group, which has investments in more than 200 companies across the globe.

Tavistock Group includes ENIC Group, which has a Bahamas-registered subsidiary called ENIC International Ltd., through which Mr. Lewis owns 85% of the shares in U.K. soccer club Tottenham Hotspur.

The Phoenix Fund is independent of Tavistock.

The bitcoin deal was put together by Andrew Laurus, a former government-bonds salesman at Lehman Brothers who is also an investor in the fund. Avalon was set up by Yifu Guo, a pioneer in the bitcoin-mining industry. He was part of the team that developed the first ASIC bitcoin mining hardware. ASIC stands for application-specific integrated circuit, a type of custom-designed microchip. Mr. Guo couldn't be reached for comment.

Separately, Coinflash, a company that planned to set up kiosks for bitcoin enthusiasts to buy the virtual currency, is shutting down before it even opened its doors. "Due to an unforeseen change in our personal circumstances, we've made the difficult decision to suspend Coinflash's services indefinitely," the San Diego-based company said in an email statement.

Coinflash was established earlier this year and had planned to open the bitcoin kiosks in California and New York this summer.

As part of the deal, Avalon will gain access to TSMC microchips based on 20-nanometer processes, which are much faster than other chips. TSMC recently won a contract to supply chips to Apple. The increased processing power should give Avalon an edge in solving the algorithms that control the supply of bitcoins.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
Ytterbium

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 02:51:46 AM

Nope, not a different Avalon, it's in the WSJ:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=268180.msg2868036#msg2868036
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323997004578644491403250124.html

Might explain why he's been so busy and ignoring customers.  At least now he can afford to give everyone who's suffered a delay a partial refund.

fasmax

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 02:57:47 AM

LOL
It seem more likely that Avalon Ventures is the one with the 200 million deal not Avalon bitsyncom.
Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 02:59:46 AM

LOL
It seem more likely that Avalon Ventures is the one with the 200 million deal not Avalon bitsyncom.

You should really read the article, bro:

The bitcoin deal was put together by Andrew Laurus, a former government-bonds salesman at Lehman Brothers who is also an investor in the fund. Avalon was set up by Yifu Guo, a pioneer in the bitcoin-mining industry. He was part of the team that developed the first ASIC bitcoin mining hardware. ASIC stands for application-specific integrated circuit, a type of custom-designed microchip. Mr. Guo couldn't be reached for comment.

xjack

Activity: 539

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 03:02:27 AM

LOL

This.  Avalon is a product name - the company name is BitSynCom.

xjack - 1xjackDMgJCLn1LDtbgh51DYw6uRgeHVb
Reputation thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=482124.0
Wayne_Chang

Activity: 448

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 04:24:57 AM

So what? I only care about when I can receive my batch#3 miner.
I believe there are also many people want to know when they can receive their pre-order chips.
Why Avalon team does not focus on the business they should do?
Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 04:27:27 AM

So what? I only care about when I can receive my batch#3 miner.
I believe there are also many people want to know when they can receive their pre-order chips.
Why Avalon team does not focus on the business they should do?

Because $200 million dollars is a lot of money?

Hopefully Yifu will do right by everyone who had their items delayed.

Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 04:46:27 AM

Chips.

Miners.

Delivery please.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
OtaconEmmerich

Activity: 235

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 04:55:45 AM

Chips and When they get delivered is the only thing bitcoin miners care about, He's 5+ weeks late. Honestly I thought that MAYBE they might have delivered on time if it was just chip delivery..seems like it isn't so.
FUKT

Activity: 446

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 05:54:50 AM

http://www.efinancialnews.com/story/2013-08-05/bitcoin-gold-rush-heats-up-with-private-equity-deal

Shocked

Discuss

Yifu is a smart guy and blessing to BTCitcoin

I credit him with that early jump in February, he will make this $200M work right

I say buy all the coins you can now before the week is over

#Boss

You're a retard.
greaterninja

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 06:44:11 AM

I received one batch #3 order, waiting on my trade-in and other batch #3 order....till i get those I am out $8-10k worth of avalon equipment.
PeZ

Activity: 297

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 07:32:27 AM

You may think he's "the man", but I suspect the deal will involve stopping all Avalon orders and refunding those who have not received theirs. This will be a MAJOR problem to all the group buys which have arranged for assembling their own devices.

The reason is this "Phoenix Group" will want to try to gain 50% of the hash power and do their own mining, and not sell miners.
Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 07:53:00 AM

You may think he's "the man", but I suspect the deal will involve stopping all Avalon orders and refunding those who have not received theirs. This will be a MAJOR problem to all the group buys which have arranged for assembling their own devices.

The reason is this "Phoenix Group" will want to try to gain 50% of the hash power and do their own mining, and not sell miners.

Trying to get 50% of the network would be retarded.

baloo_kiev

Activity: 476

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 08:46:48 AM

Sure! Just imagine how much first-class blow and hookers those $200M can buy!

PGP: 6EC48BA7
Welcome to my p2pool: BTC
TLS freedom

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 02:15:53 PM

Yifu is not the man "Avalon’s mining equipment will not be made available to the public."

YOU might never see the Avalon 20nm chips BUT I'm sure the big banks will when it becomes "OK" for banks and hedge funds to play with bitcoin. At the same time bankers get in we will be pushed out.
-Redacted-

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 02:20:04 PM

It's a hoax that has been publiclly denied on CNBC.
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 02:33:14 PM

https://mobile.twitter.com/ScottWapnerCNBC/statuses/364370798892421120

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
baloo_kiev

Activity: 476

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 02:35:33 PM

It's a hoax that has been publiclly denied on CNBC.

Well, that changes everything! Will they deny on CNBC that they delayed shipment of 2 batches of miners and chips for months? BitSyncom keeps silence for weeks, so maybe I should watch more CNBC to find out where are the paid chips?

PGP: 6EC48BA7
Welcome to my p2pool: BTC
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: