Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:38:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin U.S. Trademark Application DROPPED – He’s Trying It Abroad  (Read 5844 times)
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 06:51:15 AM

Check out the 'status' on this page:

http://tarr.uspto.gov/tarr?regser=serial&entry=85353491&action=Request+Status

Doesn't say anything about it being cancelled.

Can anyone link to some actual evidence that it's been dropped?

Catching up on posts - as of 10 July it says "abandoned".
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 10:21:14 AM

Hahaha I just googled the name of this incompetent lawyer and the scammer site was at the top of the list already.

oops  Roll Eyes

May this be a lesson for the next moron who tries to mess with Bitcoin
Eri

Activity: 264
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 11:36:46 AM

"Hmm this guy seems nice, i should google him to be sure... 'wtf.. scammer? o.O'... better get a different lawyer just to be safe..."

i think someone killed their career :/ though he may will sue the site owner. though as far as damage to his name, i think that is all on him and he would have a hard time proving otherwise in court. i wonder if he made it into wikipedia yet as 'the idiot that tried to trademark the bitcoin name". hope he doesn't have any kids :/
joepie91

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 11:37:32 AM

"Hmm this guy seems nice, i should google him to be sure... 'wtf.. scammer? o.O'... better get a different lawyer just to be safe..."

i think someone killed their career :/ though he may will sue the site owner. though as far as damage to his name, i think that is all on him and he would have a hard time proving otherwise in court. i wonder if he made it into wikipedia yet as 'the idiot that tried to trademark the bitcoin name". hope he doesn't have any kids :/
* joepie91 quietly mumbles something about 'don't fuck with the internet'...

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
Smalleyster

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 11:48:43 AM

He most certainly looks the part he is playing.

Glad I am not him.

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
Bigpiggy01

Activity: 1138
Merit: 523

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 11:49:16 AM

If he tries this shit here in China I'll sick the nice friendly peeps behind the Great Firewall on his 2bit punk ass.  Grin

▄▄▄█
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
      ▄▄█████████████████▀  ▄█
   ▄██████████████████▀ ▄▄██▀
  ███████████████▀▀  ▄▄█▀▀
 ███████████▀▀▀     ▀▀
 ██████▀▀   ▄    █
 ███▀  ▄▄████   ▐█
 █▀   ▄████▀   ▄█▌
      ▀▀▀    ▄██▌
▐▄ ▀█▄▄  ▄▄████▀
██▀  ▀▀█████▀▀
▐▌
RAPTOREUM
  TOKENIZING THE WORLD!
  ██▀
▐▌
▐║
▐║
▐▌
██▄
[ POW Algorithm: GhostRider    Anti-FPGA/ASIC ]
Assets/Tokens Masternodes Smart Contracts

.51% / Double Spend Protection, Instant Speed, Private Send.
▀██
▐▌
║▌
║▌
▐▌
▄██
█▀

█▄
◈ ──  SOCIAL MEDIA ─── ◈
Reddit Telegram Discord
Twitter  Medium GitHub
▀█
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
▄█
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 12:52:58 PM

I'm the owner of that website, I'm not hiding. Let him sue me if he really thinks he will make anything out of it. I'm not afraid of a douchebag lawyer Wink

Next, i'm going after the douchebag that trademarked Bitcoin for Financial/Banking Services in Portugal.
The trademark was already granted.
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 03:02:10 PM

Update:

http://www.betabeat.com/2011/07/08/no-one-forced-me-to-drop-bitcoin-trademark-application-lawyer-says/

(He thinks the reason we're upset is because we didn't think of it first).

Grant

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 03:19:11 PM

Seems to be (at least) the 2nd time he fails at his tm sniping strategy: http://tdr.uspto.gov/search.action?sn=78687125#

The trademark application identified below was abandoned because a response to the Office Action mailed on Mar 1, 2006 was not received within the 6-month response period.

SERIAL NUMBER:   78687125
MARK:   LEGACY BIOGENETICS GROUP
OWNER:   Pascazi, Michael, S.

Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 03:29:50 PM

Next, i'm going after the douchebag that trademarked Bitcoin for Financial/Banking Services in Portugal.

Can you give us more info/links on the Portuguese application?

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 07:21:51 PM

Can you give us more info/links on the Portuguese application?

Here http://servicosonline.inpi.pt/pesquisas/GetSintesePDF?nord=3426931

I already posted the link in the other thread about this subject but it seems nobody cared about it.

It's a consultancy company with only 1 employee(the owner). A trademark squatter also, probably.
It says it a technology consultancy company, but seeing as the company doesn't even own a lousy website i find it hard to believe they are that technological  Cheesy

static

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 07:25:14 PM

wow. looks like some kid i used to beat up for lunch money.
DaMan

Activity: 126

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 07:29:30 PM

In Europe Tibanne Co. Ltd. (mtgox) tries to register the trademark 4 days ago. And there was noone before who tried it. :-)
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 07:32:49 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2011, 07:45:17 PM by psy

In Europe Tibanne Co. Ltd. (mtgox) tries to register the trademark 4 days ago. And there was noone before who tried it. :-)

Portugal it's part of the European Union, so that's obviously not true Wink

You need to remember that Europe is a continent with a lot of countries, and even the EU has 25 contries in it, each country with it's own laws and bureaucracies, trademark and patent registrations, etc.
A trademark registered in Portugal can't be enforced in Spain, and that's the nearest country, so, maybe the lawyers MtGox contacted aren't that good Cheesy

One more bit of info: In Portugal a trademark must be used to commercialize a product/service at least 1x every 10 years or else it will be rendered invalid and open to registration again. I know that because i'm on the middle of the registration process of a couple trademarks for a startup company i'm working with.
SmokeAndMirrors

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 07:45:22 PM

He most certainly looks the part he is playing.

Glad I am not him.

Does anyone else see a resemblance between Smalleyster's avatar and this picture?  Grin

Help Bitcoins by buying clothes, technology, books, etc. through people/stores that accept BTC. This will increase overall value of BTC as well as mitigate unnecessary bank transaction fees.

My address -
1EM9HGg1SEa5Bux1rVEPxGqGSfNTTc9EkC
BTC Economist

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 08:19:44 PM

The rule of law will decide this.  If he is first-to-file in certain countries and that is the law, then bitcoin trademark is his rightful property.  I applaud him for utilizing the system as it is designed.

When BTC soars, you need to be READY!  PM me to learn more about my new e-book, How to Create and Profit from the Second Bitcoin Bubble available exclusively to BTC forum members!

17JzkreEBYNHQM9tMTiUKCHANofwzHRLhP
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 08:21:06 PM

The rule of law will decide this.  If he is first-to-file in certain countries and that is the law, then bitcoin trademark is his rightful property.  I applaud him for utilizing the system as it is designed.

So, should i trademark the word "dollar" as long as i follow the rules?
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 08:59:03 PM

Trademarks are not property. They are more like a proper noun to help you distinguish competitors in the marketplace.

Did You Say “Intellectual Property”? It's a Seductive Mirage (by Richard M. Stallman)

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 11:30:47 PM

The rule of law will decide this.  If he is first-to-file in certain countries and that is the law, then bitcoin trademark is his rightful property.  I applaud him for utilizing the system as it is designed.

Trademarks are not property. They are more like a proper noun to help you distinguish competitors in the marketplace.

Did You Say “Intellectual Property”? It's a Seductive Mirage (by Richard M. Stallman)

Quote from: Richard M. Stallman
Copyright law was designed to promote authorship and art, and covers the details of expression of a work. Patent law was intended to promote the publication of useful ideas, at the price of giving the one who publishes an idea a temporary monopoly over it—a price that may be worth paying in some fields and not in others.

Trademark law, by contrast, was not intended to promote any particular way of acting, but simply to enable buyers to know what they are buying. Legislators under the influence of the term “intellectual property”, however, have turned it into a scheme that provides incentives for advertising.

So, BTC Economist, by the bolded definition, do you still think that someone else, besides Bitcoin.org, has the right to trademark Bitcoin?
Should any other business try to deceive end users that they are the real thing when they are not, just because they have rightfully(or not) trademarked the word?

Thanks for the link, phillipsjk.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: