Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:50:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin slow to download the block chain?  (Read 5284 times)
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 03:46:28 AM

What I was referring to was the exchange rate between Bitcoin and whatever your native currency is. As adoption becomes broader this will inevitably drive up the exchange rate. It may seem fiddly until you learn how to use the different parts of the 'ecosystem' such as the client, as you have observed. And this naturally limits the rate of adoption at this time. The rate of Bitcoin creation will not go any faster as adoption picks up... That has nothing to to with client or node software being open source. Sorry, I thought it was clear.

This doesn't make any sense.  If a shirt costs $15, then it costs 1 BTC right now.  If BTC goes to $30, then the shirt costs 0.5 BTC, or else I'm paying in $, not BTC.

The "cost" to use bitcoin is the time and effort it takes to understand how to use bitcoin.  This cost needs to come down, not go up.

That just won't happen though. It is a poor proxy of the Dollar, there are so many Dollars, so many few Bitcoins... The forces of supply and demand are not difficult to understand, I thought this would be clear by now. Wider adoption of Bitcoin will inevitably drive up the exchange rate whether it makes sense to you or not.

there, fixed that for you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nickwit (OP)

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 03:54:58 AM

The router is a dynalink - not sure what the model number is - various stickers on the bottom with 20 digit numbers that are too small to read.

I did have the same problem with the vodafone dongle, and I don't have the problem if I run the client under Wine - so I'd be mildly surprised if it was the router.

As I can get Bitcoin to run under Wine then... fine.

--

re: exchange-rate/pay?

If the value of bitcoins goes up 10,000 times in the next year it won't cost me any more to use them, only to "buy one"... but I don't think the point is to buy bitcoins, it's to buy things with bitcoins.

--

re: Linux setup.

I'm dual-booting Linux 9.10 and Windows 7 using Grub. For my sins, I'm a developer so do the whole 12.0.0.1 thing - with local web-based image manipulation, accounts/stock-tracking and client-sites... and am (alas) reliant on windows for the giga-tonnage of software needed to do decent video-editing.

So. It takes me about a week to set up a new machine, a large part of which seems to involve copying and pasting things I don't really understand into CLI boxes... until something works - which leaves me with what feels like a delicately balanced card-castle, that's taken about a week to build.

So I ain't going to do anything so traumatic as upgrade my entire operating system. That happens when I get a new machine, or something absolutely catastrophic happens to the current one.
nickwit (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 04:02:44 AM

"What is a white-economy merchant?"

A white-economy merchant is something :

- in a narrow/technical sense that isn't illegal
 - in a slightly broader sense isn't flying under the radar because it's legally or morally dubious
 - in a broader sense, isn't going to be used as an example of "Why bitcoins should be banned"
 - in the broadest sense, something you can cite to the cynical as an example of bitcoins actually working as a legit means of exchange.

You can tell your mother about it in other words.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 04:04:35 AM

I'm dual-booting Linux 9.10 and Windows 7 using Grub. For my sins, I'm a developer so do the whole 12.0.0.1 thing - with local web-based image manipulation, accounts/stock-tracking and client-sites... and am (alas) reliant on windows for the giga-tonnage of software needed to do decent video-editing.

So. It takes me about a week to set up a new machine, a large part of which seems to involve copying and pasting things I don't really understand into CLI boxes... until something works - which leaves me with what feels like a delicately balanced card-castle, that's taken about a week to build.

So I ain't going to do anything so traumatic as upgrade my entire operating system. That happens when I get a new machine, or something absolutely catastrophic happens to the current one.

Ah, well, you've made your own bed there by running old software. There's not much we can do for you with respect to running 0.3.23 or anything current or future, and my previous advice still stands. (It's not nearly that disruptive.)

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
nickwit (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 04:05:03 AM

Re: Changing the title:

Can a moderator do that? They probably have a better idea of what the most useful title would be than me.
error

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 04:05:59 AM

Re: Changing the title:

Can a moderator do that? They probably have a better idea of what the most useful title would be than me.

Done.

CNMOH

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 04:21:39 AM

By the way, just want to clarify that I meant no offense when I asked "You're using Ubuntu and can't forward ports?", I was just a bit surprised as Linux users tend to be pretty tech-savvy. But I guess Linux is getting more mainstream, which is a good thing Cheesy
twobits

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 04:24:25 AM

The router is a dynalink - not sure what the model number is - various stickers on the bottom with 20 digit numbers that are too small to read.

I did have the same problem with the vodafone dongle, and I don't have the problem if I run the client under Wine - so I'd be mildly surprised if it was the router.

As I can get Bitcoin to run under Wine then... fine.

Which version did you run under wine though?  If it was newer then .21 then it actually indicates that the issue is your routers and port forwarding set up.   Just the upnp added to the newer clients did work to work as intended to help fix that case.

Vodofone is a celluar connection right?  They are sometimes highly filtered on 'odd' ports, so does not really tell us much unless you are sure that is not the case for your service.

Since running it under wine works for you , seems you have your way to work with it for now.

█████                █████      ███████             
█████                ███    █████████████       
█████                ██  █████████████████   
█████                █  ██████              ██████ 
█████                    ████                      ████ 
█████████████  █████                        ████
█████                    █████                             
█████                █  ██████              ███████
█████                ██  ███████████    █████ 
█████                ███    █████████    ████   
█████                █████      ███████    ██
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
HyperQuant.net
Platform for Professional Asset Management
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
WhitePaper
One-Pager
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram 
Facebook
Twitter
Medium
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
█████                █████      ███████             
█████                ███    █████████████       
█████                ██  █████████████████   
█████                █  ██████              ██████ 
█████                    ████                      ████ 
█████                    █████                             
█████                █  ██████              ███████
█████                ██  ███████████    █████ 
█████                ███    █████████    ████   
█████                █████      ███████    ██
drawoc

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Firstbits: 175wn

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 04:32:39 AM

Ah... and now the nightmares start. Anyone know what to do about this - I'm running ubuntu 9.10

/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /home/nick/bitcoin-0.3.23/bin/64/bitcoin)

That version of GLIBC_2.11 is available in Ubuntu 10.04 and up. You have 2 clear choices: upgrade to 10.04 or compile it yourself. It may be possible to install a newer GLIBC, but that's dark magic; you're probably better off compiling from source.

I think upgrading the Bitcoin client would probably help get those blocks downloaded.

Good luck.

Donate: 175WNXmJ1WVhFgVGKUqEhYtAQGRYAvqPA
nickwit (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 04:44:10 AM

I ran the newest under wine - so you maybe right.

re: "tech-savvy" - LOL, indeed - back in the days when I used to program mass-eprom-writing devices in fuckin BINARY there wasn't so much tech to know. The amount I don't know has grown exponentially since then.
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 09:06:33 AM

There are a couple of different problems here:

Problem 1 is that the network is currently destabilizing due to a serious bug. A new emergency release is being prepared, but it will require LOTS of people to upgrade for the network to heal itself. For now, you can work around the instability by running Bitcoin like this:

bitcoin -connect=69.56.173.164

That will force Bitcoin to use a node I run that is on the latest pre-release version. You should then be able to catch up with the block chain.

Problem 2 is that the Linux binaries aren't compatible with your version of Ubuntu. This is due to the way glibc is versioned, it can be fixed but I guess nobody got around to doing so. One easy solution - don't use Linux Wink
error

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 09:10:27 AM

Problem 2 is that the Linux binaries aren't compatible with your version of Ubuntu. This is due to the way glibc is versioned, it can be fixed but I guess nobody got around to doing so. One easy solution - don't use Linux Wink

Not everybody can (or wants to) buy a Mac.

nickwit (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 09:23:57 AM

Linux is the Bitcoin of operating systems. I have to use it.
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 09:25:45 AM

Linux is the Bitcoin of operating systems. I have to use it.
Please don't turn this into an OS war, I'm sure he meant it as a joke.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 11:23:08 AM

There are a couple of different problems here:

Problem 1 is that the network is currently destabilizing due to a serious bug. A new emergency release is being prepared, but it will require LOTS of people to upgrade for the network to heal itself. For now, you can work around the instability by running Bitcoin like this:

bitcoin -connect=69.56.173.164

That will force Bitcoin to use a node I run that is on the latest pre-release version. You should then be able to catch up with the block chain.

If it's not too much trouble, could you briefly describe the bug, or point to a thread discussing it?

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: