Bitcoin Forum
July 15, 2024, 09:00:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Here to pick your brains! (Mining rig issue)  (Read 228 times)
nick1803 (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 01:38:07 AM

My Rig:

Asus Z270-A
4gb Ballistics DDR4
120GB Adata SSD
1000 Watt EVGA G2 Gold
Intel Celeron CPU
3x EVGA 6GB 1060
3x Zotac 3GB 1060

When I set it all up one of my 1060's would not hold a steady voltage, it was fluctuating like crazy.  It caused my system to reboot itself once every 6 hours or so.  Oh well, 5 cards worked great.  I yanked it out and RMA'd it, never had any other stability issues.

Got the new EVGA 1060 GB in today, get it all plugged in on the riser and fire it up.  The fan spins up but windows detects nothing.  Weird.  I reset all my connections, still nothing.  Tried a new VGA PSU power cable, nothing.  Tried a different VGA power port in my PSU, nothing.  I thought maybe this card was bad too, then I stuck it on a known working PCI-E riser and windows saw it and its currently mining.

I took the known working card from that other PCI-E riser and stuck it on the one I initially tried to put this new card on...and that one was undetected in windows as well.  So both GPU's work, I got that far. 

I thought well maybe its the PCI port on my mobo...switched the riser connector to the last open slot and still nothing, so I doubt its that.  So I'm left with a bad riser...I think.  I don't have a spare to test with unfortunately. 

Am I overlooking something?  Any ideas?  Thanks! 
Shazam!!!

Activity: 350
Merit: 158

#takeminingback

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2018, 01:39:18 AM

This section is for BTC/ASIC only. You might want to move this thread to the ALT mining section. In the bottom
left corner of YOUR thread there is an option to move it. You will get all of the answers you are looking for
in that section. Goodluck!!!

Click these links to learn some truth about Big Corporate mining pools stealing your money and centralizing BTCitcoin!!!
Help support the BTCitcoin community!!! Mine your BTCitcoin at a non-Corporate pool!!! BTC: 1ShazamjsPnpWDNnk3n2tAiKGMdXaSjay
I mine BTCitcoin at a non-Corporate pool with no hidden fees, no empty BTClocks: Kano Pool   ■ get Kano Pool signature banners here ■
Plant Power

Activity: 41

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 01:55:04 AM

My Rig:

Asus Z270-A
4gb Ballistics DDR4
120GB Adata SSD
1000 Watt EVGA G2 Gold
Intel Celeron CPU
3x EVGA 6GB 1060
3x Zotac 3GB 1060

When I set it all up one of my 1060's would not hold a steady voltage, it was fluctuating like crazy.  It caused my system to reboot itself once every 6 hours or so.  Oh well, 5 cards worked great.  I yanked it out and RMA'd it, never had any other stability issues.

Got the new EVGA 1060 GB in today, get it all plugged in on the riser and fire it up.  The fan spins up but windows detects nothing.  Weird.  I reset all my connections, still nothing.  Tried a new VGA PSU power cable, nothing.  Tried a different VGA power port in my PSU, nothing.  I thought maybe this card was bad too, then I stuck it on a known working PCI-E riser and windows saw it and its currently mining.

I took the known working card from that other PCI-E riser and stuck it on the one I initially tried to put this new card on...and that one was undetected in windows as well.  So both GPU's work, I got that far. 

I thought well maybe its the PCI port on my mobo...switched the riser connector to the last open slot and still nothing, so I doubt its that.  So I'm left with a bad riser...I think.  I don't have a spare to test with unfortunately. 

Am I overlooking something?  Any ideas?  Thanks! 

I ran in to some TOLUD issues early on that wouldn't pick up my last 3 GPU's on my first 1060 rig?  I had to set the BIOS to increase the TOLUD.. if you search on the forums there's some info have you come across that yet?
nick1803 (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 02:02:10 AM

Yes when I had my initial 2 1060's (3rd was being RMA's), I got my 3 Zotac 3GB in and when I slapped them in I was having issues detecting them so I followed a youtube guide and changed a bunch of Bios settings and Wallah!  All 5 GPU's detected.

I don't think its my bios since I already see 5 GPU's.  Is there a particular setting for my Asus you would like me to check out?  Thanks! 
Plant Power

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 02:10:44 AM

Just the TOLUD but if you've done that already and the other cards are showing up it's a bit of a mystery.. I would be thinking it's a bad riser as well.. do you have one card on the MOBO itself?  If not could you put one in to the board and then use the spare riser to test?  Or just swap the riser with another?
nick1803 (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 02:53:17 AM

Just the TOLUD but if you've done that already and the other cards are showing up it's a bit of a mystery.. I would be thinking it's a bad riser as well.. do you have one card on the MOBO itself?  If not could you put one in to the board and then use the spare riser to test?  Or just swap the riser with another?

With how the mobo is screwed onto this frame I have its not possible to mount a card directly into the PCI slot, darn it
nick1803 (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 02:59:37 AM
Last edit: January 05, 2018, 03:23:20 AM by nick1803

I do have a new riser on its way to me, Amazon says it will be here Saturday
nick1803 (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 04:08:53 AM

Well this is odd.

For the heck of it, I took one PCI-E riser from a working card and plugged it into both open ports on my mobo...it refused to boot into windows each time. 

Think its the motherboard that's no good?  This is so frustrating Sad
bigjee

Activity: 434
Merit: 107

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 04:35:03 AM
Last edit: January 05, 2018, 04:48:09 AM by bigjee

Not sure how you're connecting the gpus but if you have all 6 connected try to leave the x16 slot unused and populate the other 6 slots.
This board is known to behave like that.
Try that and see if it works.

In the video below BBT has the same setup as you.
Fast forward to 11min 50 sec to listen in on how to connect.

Side note: The video in general shows you how to get your rig setup and is a good watch if you have the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEQM2sNeC2w
Tristan1337

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 04:52:31 AM

Probably a motherboard issue.

If i was you i would go pick up a Asrock H110 Pro BTC+ or Asus B250 Mining Expert, and i'd bet your problems would be solved!  Wink
nick1803 (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 05:07:19 AM

Not sure how you're connecting the gpus but if you have all 6 connected try to leave the x16 slot unused and populate the other 6 slots.

Side note: The video in general shows you how to get your rig setup and is a good watch if you have the time.

Yeah, I have the x16 populated.  If I use the others but not the x16, which card will the monitor run off of?

Thanks for the reply
nick1803 (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 05:36:45 AM

NVM, got the monitor to post.

So I put 6 cards in each of the x1 slots...they all worked except for the card with the suspect riser still, no effect.  

At this point I'm just not sure if its the mobo or the riser...or something else
Tristan1337

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 01:09:03 PM

Yeah, I have the x16 populated.  If I use the others but not the x16, which card will the monitor run off of?

Thanks for the reply

Run your monitor off the integrated graphics built into the CPU.

It's unlikely a riser issue, since you've had a GPU running with the same riser. It's probably a motherboard limitation. Like PCI-E resources running out. Some motherboards only support so many GPUs.
nick1803 (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 01:31:29 PM

Correction, I've never had a GPU work with this particular riser.  I've tried two gpus
Tristan1337

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 04:28:25 PM

Oh well then if that's the case, i guess you should try another riser before you do anything.

Better to buy more than what you need, because you always run into issues with risers.  Wink
nick1803 (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 04:53:48 PM

Update - it was the riser.  All 6 GPU's humming along Smiley
Tristan1337

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 05:31:57 PM

Good to know you got it working.

Most risers are built very cheap, so they are usually one of the first things to go.

Happy mining!  Cool
Plant Power

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 04:28:44 AM

Update - it was the riser.  All 6 GPU's humming along Smiley

Now watch the $$ roll in Smiley glad you got it working!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: