Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:08:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: windows or linux  (Read 392 times)
car1999 (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 10:06:53 AM

I'm a big fan of linux, all of my rigs were running linux(ubuntu, nvOC), I believed that linux was cheaper, more stable, more efficiency, easer to management etc. Recently I built a couple of windows rigs because amd rx vega cards require windows to reach best performance, I also built a windows nvidia gtx 1080ti rig, then I realize that windows is better for mining.

1.It's free, doesn't need to be actived.
2.It's stable, never run into issues. nvidia-smi sometimes hang on my linux rigs, but it never happened on the windows rigs. I have a bot calls nvidia-smi every 5 minutes and report GPU temp to a server.
3.It's as easy as linux to be managed, use teamviewer and openssh.
4.It's more firendly to newbie.
5.Some great miners are windows only, for example hsrminer.

I'm considering switching all of my rigs from linux to windows, what do you think about it?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sledge0001

Activity: 581
Merit: 149

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2018, 10:13:39 AM

The vast selection of overclocking and remote access tools available plus the ultra simple setup of a windows based rig to me wins hands down.
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 10:42:17 AM

I'm a big fan of linux, all of my rigs were running linux(ubuntu, nvOC), I believed that linux was cheaper, more stable, more efficiency, easer to management etc. Recently I built a couple of windows rigs because amd rx vega cards require windows to reach best performance, I also built a windows nvidia gtx 1080ti rig, then I realize that windows is better for mining.

1.It's free, doesn't need to be actived.
2.It's stable, never run into issues. nvidia-smi sometimes hang on my linux rigs, but it never happened on the windows rigs. I have a bot calls nvidia-smi every 5 minutes and report GPU temp to a server.
3.It's as easy as linux to be managed, use teamviewer and openssh.
4.It's more firendly to newbie.
5.Some great miners are windows only, for example hsrminer.

I'm considering switching all of my rigs from linux to windows, what do you think about it?

From the considerations stated, I guess you've probably have chosen windows, all of my rigs run on windows actually and no complained about it. if you've still some doubts then I think convert some of your Rigs first, Observed and decide.
zukko

Activity: 257
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 10:50:19 AM

My farm is running windows, no problems.
And the choice of miners for windows is much broader.
ronnylov

Activity: 276
Merit: 13

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 11:25:54 AM

I use Arch Linux on Everything. But that's mostly because it is what I am used to.
I don't like using Windows. Interesting that Vega has bad Linux performance.
OK I won't buy Vega then.

I have not had any issues with nvidia and mining on Linux.
It's more like a hobby for me. If it's not fun I won't do it.
Windows is not fun for me so that's why I don't use it.

★★★ LETHEAN ★★★
BLOCKCHAIN BACKED DECENTRALISED P2P VPN
MediumTwitterDiscordRedditFacebookWhitepaperBitcointalk Ann
ajqjjj

Activity: 1498
Merit: 507

Not your Keys, not your Bitcoin

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 12:11:30 PM

I use Arch Linux on Everything. But that's mostly because it is what I am used to.
I don't like using Windows. Interesting that Vega has bad Linux performance.
OK I won't buy Vega then.

I have not had any issues with nvidia and mining on Linux.
It's more like a hobby for me. If it's not fun I won't do it.
Windows is not fun for me so that's why I don't use it.

My GPU rig is running with in the Windows platform and it does not give trouble to me. I do not found any crash in the time of power cut as well. I too like the linux platform and most of the miners who is choosing for mining with the linux to avoid the crash report we use to get in the other platforms. Currently I am mining with the nividia 1070 cards 6 numbers in the windows platform and I overclocked it. It goes perfect.

-support Bitcoin Community Bitcointalk.org-
Always verify wallet to store your Bitcoin
Donations are open, send PM
Lancusters

Activity: 630
Merit: 263

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 12:21:35 PM

I also use Windows on my rigs. For me it is easier and more convenient. If you need help setting up a Windows offers wider possibilities and more professionals who can help you. Linux is more robust but this advantage does not apply to the mining equipment. For mining more promising Windows.
Bakhtra

Activity: 215

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 12:28:41 PM

Windows free too, who said we need to pay for windows? only HOMO that pay his windows. All my windows rigs are stable for months. I think windows much better than Linux, see amd driver, miner, most of it in windows, for Linux you need to wait more time. So why stick to LINUX?
Baxta

Activity: 308
Merit: 17

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 12:30:27 PM

I think that the choice depends on what kind of coin you mine.
for example. I mine the Minexcoin. In program optiminer 2.1.0. for linux ubuntu 64, GPU mines in 10 times more efficiently then Windows.

rmh01

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 01:35:57 PM

I'm absolutely with linux.
Windows is easy yes, but when any problems are encountered, it's a joke. Windows hides  the errors, shows unusable error information, logging is also quite unusable. The only case when i consider windows is when using polaris cards.
With linux, you can make a living infrastructure in a terminal far away from the rigs. One rig crashes, signals to other rigs then shutdowns, other rig waiting a bit then broadcasts wakeonlan packets etc. No need for utilities, desktop displaying, no need for a monitor even for the first boot after install and if you flash an installed os image to disk, not even once needed.
Log files can be grep-ed, any outputs can be piped to anywhere, any program can be daemonized and still just one terminal needed.
77JohnDoe77

Activity: 840
Merit: 107

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 01:43:55 PM

i never use linux so i dont know which better
all my rigs run on windows and till now i dont find problem or trouble with windows so i stay

★  ★  ★ Commodities Trading Revolutionized ★  ★  ★
●  ●  ● KRATOS ●  ●  ●
Telegram ◆ Facebook ◆ Twitter ◆ White Paper ◆ Medium◆ ⌚ PreSale Live
ronnylov

Activity: 276
Merit: 13

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 02:21:00 PM

Windows free too, who said we need to pay for windows? only HOMO that pay his windows. All my windows rigs are stable for months. I think windows much better than Linux, see amd driver, miner, most of it in windows, for Linux you need to wait more time. So why stick to LINUX?

Free as in free beer but not free as in Liberty is a well known wording.
But don't you need to pay to get a legal Windows license?

★★★ LETHEAN ★★★
BLOCKCHAIN BACKED DECENTRALISED P2P VPN
MediumTwitterDiscordRedditFacebookWhitepaperBitcointalk Ann
Baxta

Activity: 308
Merit: 17

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 10:04:01 AM

all my rigs run on windows and till now i dont find problem or trouble with windows so i stay

but if you were told that your liner miners could get x2, x5, x10 more than on Windows? Would you decide then to try to mine on Linux?

Bakhtra

Activity: 215

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 01:18:56 PM

but if you were told that your liner miners could get x2, x5, x10 more than on Windows? Would you decide then to try to mine on Linux?
If that's really the case, why more people using windows instead Linux?
dejan_p

Activity: 132
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 01:24:12 PM

i tend to have both OSes on each machine
for amd, it is a hassle to underclock, etc, but from time to time, a linux miner and coin combination appear out of nowhere when profitability is 2-5x higher...so it's worth it
for nvidia, no problems on underclocking

so i would suggest to have both of them up and ready

@Bakhtra ..i can understand if they don't have the skills, but they're lazy. so many tutorials out there.
everytime there is a linux miner that gives more hash than in windows, you can see 90% of the posts in that "windows binary please" "when windows version" "+1 win version" .. and with all our "dude, follow this tutorial step by step" (which are really good and made for idi**s), but still no..
Tidsdilatation

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2018, 01:37:06 PM

I use windows, my only concern are the god damn Windows updates... After every one, my rig seems to get a new big problem. Normally its GPUs missing, but have been other shit aswell. Once or twice i had to format the entire rig. Stay away from the updates!
flip4flop

Activity: 378
Merit: 135

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 02:04:28 PM

You can run Windows for free just have limited customization options which you don’t need for mining anyway. There is nothing wrong with running either one just depends on what you are more comfortable with and works for you.
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 03:39:20 PM

I use windows, my only concern are the god damn Windows updates... After every one, my rig seems to get a new big problem. Normally its GPUs missing, but have been other shit aswell. Once or twice i had to format the entire rig. Stay away from the updates!

You can completely disable windows updates in gpedit on Win10.  Other versions you don't even have to do it in gpedit. 

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
Rasanders22

Activity: 67
Merit: 3

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 03:48:05 PM

Ease of use, familiarity would be my guess. I use Linux everyday at work, plus other OS's that most people have never heard of and it still takes several hours to get a Linux box mining
Linux:
get AMD/NVIDIA drivers
get newest cmake version
get newest g++ compilier
compile AMD/NVIDIA drivers
disable X
blacklist X from loading
download miner
compile miner

finally can mine, but only after having to google how to do each of these steps and spend hours on stack overflow searching every error that comes while installing

Windows:
get AMD/NVIDIA drivers
install drivers
download miner
start miner

NameTaken

Activity: 630
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 03:54:55 PM
Last edit: January 09, 2018, 04:29:12 PM by NameTaken

Ease of use, familiarity would be my guess. I use Linux everyday at work, plus other OS's that most people have never heard of and it still takes several hours to get a Linux box mining
Linux:
get AMD/NVIDIA drivers
get newest cmake version
get newest g++ compilier
compile AMD/NVIDIA drivers
disable X
blacklist X from loading
download miner
compile miner

finally can mine, but only after having to google how to do each of these steps and spend hours on stack overflow searching every error that comes while installing

Windows:
get AMD/NVIDIA drivers
install drivers
download miner
start miner

Install Nvidia, Fglrx, and AMDGPU-PRO packages from distro repo or PPA.
Compiling Nvidia driver kernel module with DKMS is only necessary if running a custom kernel.
Flgrx and AMDGPU-PRO will pull down the default build dependencies if not already installed.
You need an X server to be running to change clocks, voltage and fan with Nvidia and Fglrx.
Most miners are closed source and you download a binary.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: