Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:43:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Soylent preorders can now be done with bitcoin  (Read 5590 times)
dserrano5 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 07:58:25 AM
Last edit: May 09, 2019, 06:50:36 PM by dserrano5

-

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
J603

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 12:30:10 PM

Soylent Green?
sega01

Activity: 391
Merit: 333

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 01:18:59 PM

Even as an avid foodie, I think this is a really neat idea. I've pondered similar things as well.

Does our body really need food, or just certain minerals, vitamins, proteins, fats, and sugars? I think food is an art, but at the same time, especially for many people, it takes up a lot of time. Whether that's a good or a bad thing is debatable, but I do like to have options.

I'm not personally sold in the implementation of it. I'd lean towards Ray Peat's zero-PUFA diet ideas and would balance the amino acid profile towards gelatin. MCT oil is a great thing to have in there.

That being said, I really hope to see it in grocery shelves some day and to give it a try.

Sincerely,
Teran
aenemic

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 04:40:58 PM

Really late to the party here, but soylent + bitcoin makes living on bitcoin exponentially easier! I mean, "all your food" for bitcoin.
MrHempstock

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

"Don't worry. My career died after Batman, too."

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 05:18:47 PM

I've been following Rhinehart's progress since I stumbled upon it several months ago.
Congrats to Soylent for landing the seed money, and kudos to Lerer Ventures and Andreessen Horowitz for seeing the profit potential in this new dietary innovation!

BTCitcointalk 1%ers manipulate the currency and deceive its user community.
bmoconno

Activity: 280
Merit: 261

New In Town...

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 02:02:00 AM

Thanks for sharing this, dserrano5, I'd followed an Ars Technia writer's progress with testing Soylent and I thought it was a marvelous idea.  I'm even more behind it now that I know they are embracing BTC!  Once I get my hands on some more BTC, I'll be sure to order at least the 1 week package.

If I've helped you out, or you just think I'm awesome… 13SZex4uANVrfTeeuFEXGu6W8EVYtWVB53
Ménalque

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 09:09:26 PM

Hello dserrano5,

I don't know whether your work at soylent company but would you have any idea when the delivery to Europe will be available ? Bitcoin would be a huge opportunity then !
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 10:01:21 PM

Is this a substitute for normal food? Like actual meal alternative? Is it healthy?
dserrano5 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 11:57:30 AM
Last edit: May 09, 2019, 06:50:51 PM by dserrano5

-
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2014, 01:09:54 PM

I found this video quite a while ago, it's quite interesting to watch, going into the background of Soylent and so on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8NCigh54jg

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 02:37:22 PM

Is this a substitute for normal food? Like actual meal alternative? Is it healthy?

The idea is that you can replace some, or all of your meals with Soylent. It is /supposed/ to contain all the nutrients, vitamins, and whatever you'd usually get from other food.

So, theoretically, yes.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 02:41:19 PM

Don't eat it! It's people, soylent green is people!! Cheesy

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Trading
Legendary

Activity: 1455
Merit: 1033

Nothing like healthy scepticism and hard evidence

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 07:37:04 PM

Taking in account the end of the movie from which they copied the name, I wonder if it was a good idea to name their product this way.

Won't someone living on this find himself with digestive problems after their organism lose the habit to digest hard things, like red meat...

Is the FDA really going to approve it?

The Rock Trading Exchange forges its order books with bots, uses them to scam customers and is trying to appropriate 35000 euro from a forum member https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4975753.0
dserrano5 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 08:05:06 AM

Is the FDA really going to approve it?

They have been shipping for some weeks.
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2014, 05:33:23 PM

The FDA classifies Soylent as a dietary supplement - not as food - so it doesn't even have to go through most of the procedures FDA-approved food does. You can see in the video I posted that at one point they record a rat inside of the place where Soylent was (is? not sure) being made.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 05:42:47 PM

Even as an avid foodie, I think this is a really neat idea. I've pondered similar things as well.

Does our body really need food, or just certain minerals, vitamins, proteins, fats, and sugars? I think food is an art, but at the same time, especially for many people, it takes up a lot of time. Whether that's a good or a bad thing is debatable, but I do like to have options.

I'm not personally sold in the implementation of it. I'd lean towards Ray Peat's zero-PUFA diet ideas and would balance the amino acid profile towards gelatin. MCT oil is a great thing to have in there.

That being said, I really hope to see it in grocery shelves some day and to give it a try.

Sincerely,
Teran
I saw an article in Popular Science about this, it's legit. Only certain minerals and vitamins.
jambola2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1038

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 05:43:51 PM

Don't eat it! It's people, soylent green is people!! Cheesy
Scariest part about buying this Tongue

Also , other than that, there have been speculated problems , even if you assume that it has 100% RDA of all macro and micro nutrients :-

1. Loss of tooth power - your mandible will weaken and your teeth will become sensitive from lack of chewing
2. Stomach problems - sensitivity to solid foods, if you ever travel and need to ingest solid foods
3. Digestion disorders
4. Facial muscle loss & weakness thereby

No longer active on bitcointalk, however, you can still reach me via PMs if needed.
sed

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 06:50:58 PM

Soylent is a simple and affordable nutritional drink that has everything the healthy body needs. It frees you from the time and money spent shopping, cooking and cleaning and vastly reduces your environmental impact by eliminating much of the waste and harm coming from agriculture, livestock, and food-related trash.

From the blog post that started it all 6 months ago until now several improvements were made and more than $1M were raised to obtain FDA approval and begin mass production. We can now take that amount further using bitcoin!

Isn't soylent made of people?
dserrano5 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:13:00 AM

Yeah in fact I've already applied for it. My body will be transformed into powder food within 6 months.
jambola2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1038

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 11:03:11 AM

Yeah in fact I've already applied for it. My body will be transformed into powder food within 6 months.

Other than jokes , I think there would be serious side effects.
There is a small chance this may be the future of food , but a much larger chance that a deadly side-effect is lurking around the corner.
I'd suggest that you don't use it, until full tests of it are done as a permanent food source.

The blog is pretty awesome though , a Bitcoin transaction handshake sounds awesome too.

Even in the aforementioned post , the blog author says :-
but this day I ran 3.14 miles non-stop. This is an irrational improvement.

The blog seems like an awesome place for revolutionary ideas , and I'd encourage you all to beta test a new software. Just not when it comes to food and the 'device' is your irreparable body

No longer active on bitcointalk, however, you can still reach me via PMs if needed.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: