Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:12:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Specie Project sponsored by the makers of New Liberty Dollar  (Read 88377 times)
sed

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 03:53:58 PM
Last edit: July 30, 2014, 04:08:45 PM by sed

Aha, thanks for the clarification.  I guess I don't belive in the idea of "backing" bitcoin by silver when it's already backed by the mathematical scarcity of solutions to the hashing problem.  Anyway, the coins are still beautiful but now I understand that they aren't intended to be "silver wallets".
They indeed aren't meant to be used that way. I have two of them and I really really like them. They look and feel amazing.

They definitely look good.  But now I realize that it's really just a silver coin with a bitcoin commemeration on it.  That's also cool.  Just not what I was thinking of when I first saw the qr code/coin.

I think that given the QR which links to the current value in fiat on a web page, why not remove the 0.25BTC?  Especially since, as far as I can tell, that value is off by nearly an order of magnitude.
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2014, 07:35:34 PM

Aha, thanks for the clarification.  I guess I don't belive in the idea of "backing" bitcoin by silver when it's already backed by the mathematical scarcity of solutions to the hashing problem.  Anyway, the coins are still beautiful but now I understand that they aren't intended to be "silver wallets".
They indeed aren't meant to be used that way. I have two of them and I really really like them. They look and feel amazing.

They definitely look good.  But now I realize that it's really just a silver coin with a bitcoin commemeration on it.  That's also cool.  Just not what I was thinking of when I first saw the qr code/coin.

I think that given the QR which links to the current value in fiat on a web page, why not remove the 0.25BTC?  Especially since, as far as I can tell, that value is off by nearly an order of magnitude.

The coins are minted with their value denominated in BTC at the time of minting. Personally, I'm holding on to one .25 BTC silver specie as a collectible.

Still around.
sed

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 08:18:23 PM

The coins are minted with their value denominated in BTC at the time of minting. Personally, I'm holding on to one .25 BTC silver specie as a collectible.

Oh, I see.  So the design on the OP is actually a little different depending on the time of minting.  Does the value stamped on the front get rounded to the nearest mBTC or something?
NewLiberty (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2014, 04:52:47 AM

I think that given the QR which links to the current value in fiat on a web page, why not remove the 0.25BTC?  Especially since, as far as I can tell, that value is off by nearly an order of magnitude.

Oh, I see.  So the design on the OP is actually a little different depending on the time of minting.  Does the value stamped on the front get rounded to the nearest mBTC or something?

Lots of people have suggested not putting a value on the piece.  But we will likely always do that anyway.  There are many reasons for that.  There isn't network everywhere, and one of the benefits is not to need to have our gizmos out every time we want to make a small purchase.  This is especially true for Point-of-sale transactions where there may be a line of folks waiting.  It is for the quick, truly anonymous, point of sale transaction.

The value on the front is the nominal value, put there for historical reasons.  It is the designer's best guess from the year before as to what the average BTC / Ag value is averaged over the year.
If Bitcoin is around many years hence it will serve as a marker for what we were doing with Bitcoin 'way back when'.  That it raises the question of what BTC is worth in silver is (we thing) also a good thing, as that changes over time and highlights the merit of Bitcoin as a store of value.  The real-time value is the value that ought be used commercially as indicated by the QR code link to http://colhardca.sh/ag

All the pieces from a single year will have the same design.  There are however a good number of "special" pieces made in any given year for the folks that are collecting them, but they are really not meant as collectibles, but are made to be pocket change for Bitcoin currency.  
Like pocket change folks should be spending and circulating them rather than hanging on to them.  It is one of the many ways to address the issue of block chain bloat for small in-person transactions.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
NewLiberty (OP)
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2014, 05:03:21 AM

These look dope and can't wait to buy some!

They are available from many retailers, and have been for quite a while.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 2185

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2014, 06:58:10 PM

Hey NewLiberty,

Can I ask you a small favor? Could you please update this list? I'm really interested to see how many coins you have produced Grin

I've been asked how many of these are out there...so:

Mintages so far:

FIRST STRIKE - 40 final
Satoshi Nakamoto whitepaper 5th anniversary - 100 final
First year of issue numbered, gold electroplated - 100 final
First year of issue unnumbered, gold electroplated - 1 final
Satoshi Nakamoto whitepaper, gold electroplated - 1 final

Silver Bitcoin Specie 1 toz Cold Hard Cash, standard issue 1804 3004

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 02:46:40 AM

Great interview of the owner here:

http://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/the-bitcoin-game-3-joseph-vaughn-perling
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2014, 09:26:09 AM
Last edit: November 11, 2014, 09:55:28 AM by bitcoininformation

That is indeed a great interview. Thanks for linking me/us!

EDIT: However, I do not agree with HardBTC being a premium reseller. Their webstore is quite empty, they don't even sell tokens anymore and the 2014 Cold Hard Cash coins on there are highly overpriced. £80.00 for two of them so around €51.07 for one. The coldhardca.sh page has a price of €17 right now. I get that shipment costs a bit, but this is extreme.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

snarlpill

Activity: 910
Merit: 530

$5 24k Gold FREE 4 sign-up! Mene.com/invite/h5ZRRP

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2014, 12:10:53 PM

So these are still available then? They look great and I'd love to add one to my growing physical crypto coin collection. Can anybody point me towards the retailer offering them for the best price?

Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2014, 12:40:53 PM

So these are still available then? They look great and I'd love to add one to my growing physical crypto coin collection. Can anybody point me towards the retailer offering them for the best price?
You can buy them here for $18.28: Agoracommodities.
EDIT: Oh, it seems that they are sold out.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

macsga
Legendary

Activity: 1484

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 08:56:55 PM

I'm not into PM market that much, but I believe for some reason many coins got extinct within the last couple of weeks. Maybe it's the low prices though that drove many people out there to reach for some more cheap coins... Wink

Chaos could be a form of intelligence we cannot yet understand its complexity.
NewLiberty (OP)
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2014, 09:37:24 PM

I'm not into PM market that much, but I believe for some reason many coins got extinct within the last couple of weeks. Maybe it's the low prices though that drove many people out there to reach for some more cheap coins... Wink

I believe that HardBTC has some in stock for global shipping.
http://hardbtc.org/ocart/

mogrith
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1001

Use Coinbase Account almosanywhere with Shift card

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2014, 12:14:24 AM

NewLibertyDollar.com gives me
This site is currently unavailable.

If you are the owner of this site, please contact us at 1-480-505-8855 at your earliest convenience.

Will it be coming back up or is just gone now.

Merge mine BLC+PHO+ELT+XDQ+BBTC+UMO+LIT pool is open http://la1.blakecoin.com tips: 1MogRiTHpQZ7bkpq49cSVWADrTt7Jrghp
NewLiberty (OP)
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2014, 04:15:40 AM
Last edit: November 14, 2014, 09:53:07 AM by NewLiberty

NewLibertyDollar.com gives me
This site is currently unavailable.

If you are the owner of this site, please contact us at 1-480-505-8855 at your earliest convenience.

Will it be coming back up or is just gone now.

This is temporary, it should be back shortly, the web host botched the DNS update when moving to their new server platform.
So much for seamless transitions.
I'm not pleased with their service.

tyrion70
Legendary

Activity: 934
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 09:18:51 PM

I believe that HardBTC has some in stock for global shipping.
http://hardbtc.org/ocart/

80 pounds for 2, thats almost 63$ or 50EUR each.. thats a healty markup Smiley

@NewLiberty are the 2014 coins sold out through you then? You won't be making any more this year? Can you give us an overview of how much of each coin were created so far?

Cheers

geoffreyqp

Activity: 712

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 10:14:38 PM

i have a 2013 for sale. but you would have to buy other stuff as well.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=865075.new#new
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1074

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 05:34:22 AM

Sorry for the necro-bump, but I just ran across this thread thanks to the link in OP's signature.

I'm really wanting to know two things:

1) What URL does that QR code resolve to?  (is it still working today?)
2) Are these still for sale?

I love the idea of a silver coin that tells its value in BTC.  I've never seen anything like it and I hope that I can find one and that the links in them still work!
snarlpill

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2015, 05:59:40 AM

Sorry for the necro-bump, but I just ran across this thread thanks to the link in OP's signature.

1) What URL does that QR code resolve to?  (is it still working today?)

I love the idea of a silver coin that tells its value in BTC.  I've never seen anything like it and I hope that I can find one and that the links in them still work!

I believe the only way to get the Silver Bitcoin Specie nowadays is through Re-Sellers. User tyrion70 actually has both the 2013 and 2014 versions, along with the Limited Edition gold-plated Silver Bitcoin Specie (only 100 minted) for sale here on the forum. They are very nicely made coins, some of my favorite BTC and silver coins, and they look great.

Unfortunately though, there are tons of fake Silver Bitcoin Species floating around out there on eBay. You can easily spot them because they are usually listed for ~$4, are coming from China, and are almost guaranteed to be silver-plated (if even plated) instead of 1 Troy Ounce .999 Fine Silver like the real deal are. Sadly I think this fact brings down the value of the real Silver BTC Specie coins.

An example of the fakes here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-freedom-BTC-Coin-Gold-silver-Plated-Physical-Bitcoin-souvenir-coin-/271860732183?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4c299117
These are NOT the real Silver Bitcoin Species as released by NewLiberty. No one would be selling real 1 oz .999 Silver coins for ~$5 a piece with the spot price of silver more than 3x that currently.

tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1074

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 06:08:39 AM

1) What URL does that QR code resolve to?  (is it still working today?)

I love the idea of a silver coin that tells its value in BTC.  I've never seen anything like it and I hope that I can find one and that the links in them still work!

I believe the only way to get the Silver Bitcoin Specie nowadays is through Re-Sellers. User tyrion70 actually has both the 2013 and 2014 versions, along with the Limited Edition gold-plated Silver Bitcoin Specie (only 100 minted) for sale here on the forum. They are very nicely made coins, some of my favorite BTC and silver coins, and they look great.

Unfortunately though, there are tons of fake Silver Bitcoin Species floating around out there on eBay. You can easily spot them because they are usually listed for ~$4, are coming from China, and are almost guaranteed to be silver-plated (if even plated) instead of 1 Troy Ounce .999 Fine Silver like the real deal are. Sadly I think this fact brings down the value of the real Silver BTC Specie coins.

An example of the fakes here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-freedom-BTC-Coin-Gold-silver-Plated-Physical-Bitcoin-souvenir-coin-/271860732183?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4c299117
These are NOT the real Silver Bitcoin Species as released by NewLiberty. No one would be selling real 1 oz .999 Silver coins for ~$5 a piece with the spot price of silver more than 3x that currently.

Yah, that's too bad.  And I zoomed in on the image of the qr on the OP and it seems it resolves to bithardcash.com/ag which doesn't seem to be up anymore.  Too bad.

I wonder if those guys would ever renew the domain or hand it off to someone who can host it (I'd host it for free if I just have to run a widget to show the price of an ounce of silver in BTC).

Looking more closely I think it was a mistake to put .25 quarter bitcoin on the front.  Since the QR code is supposed to resolve to the actual current value, putting the wrong value on the front seems weird.  Stil a cool looking coin tho.
snarlpill

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2015, 06:13:40 AM

Yeah, these are one of the few physical BTC coins that have been counterfeited, and it's easier for the Chinese copiers to do these than Casascius coins because these don't have a security hologram like the Cas coins do; those holograms are hard to fake realistically.

NewLiberty is still active often on here, I'd be willing to bet that he didn't know coldhardca.sh/ag was down. I'm sure he'll bring it back up when he sees this.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: