Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 04:43:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: You should NOT be buying altcoins now!  (Read 439 times)
dumplingsandsushi (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 41

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2018, 06:27:38 PM

Yeah, to the guy posting pump and dump groups, just . . . stop.  STOP!
Don't join any pump and dump group unless you are morally shady and started your own group where you will get sole profit.

anwyays, I am not saying avoid all alts.  But there are ones that are obviously overinflated right now.
I am not saying that btc is the best coin out there, I am saying that it drives the crypto market.
ETH and to a certain extent LTC can drive prices, but it really is only btc that you can liquidate.

here's another bit of trading advice:
you really need to stop looking at the price of coinmarketcap as the actual value of a coin/token.
that is a tool that gathers data on what price an altcoin is selling/buying out in terms of btc, then is adjusted to usd based off of btc's price.
To really see your true profits, you need to go to the actual exchange you use, see the btc or eth prices and calculate accordingly.
If you bought, say, OMG last october at $8 and now it is $19, it actually isn't that impressive when you factor in that you bought it at .01 btc and sold at .011btc and you include in the price increase of btc.
It is profit yes, but a coin needs to gain strength against bitcoin in order to have huge profits.

By the way, I know they aren't popular lately, but the most profit I have gotten has actually been through ICOs.  Go figure.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Svelto

Activity: 686
Merit: 257

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 06:31:23 PM

OP, I agreed with your views. Buying in over hyped coins are risky and you will most likely ended up becoming a bag holder buying what others are selling. It is better to avoid buying during a pump.
Hosam Mazawi

Activity: 129
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 06:32:58 PM

I'm about to give you some hardcore advice, for FREE! Waoooo! (I promise, I won't shill a coin or promote anything, aren't those posts annoying?)
Take it seriously:

I see a lot of posts lately about what is the next big altcoin or what altcoin should I invest in? etc. etc.
About two months ago, the altcoin board was flooded with "what ICO should I invest in?" and now it's flooded with altcoin inquiries.
This matches the movement of the market as tons of money is being pumped into alts, particularly lower priced ones or coins that have been artificially pumped by youtubers, pump and dump groups, or Mr. Mcafee.

I understand the desire to find "the next big thing".  I understand the feeling that you have "missed the chance" on bitcoin or other alts.  I went through these myself.
But if you join the herd, you will either lose money or gain very little return on your investments.
Here is the advice:

When others sell, you buy.  When others buy, you sell.

Those who made tons of money the last 2 weeks are those who bought alts 2 months ago when btc was pumping like crazy because of the forks.
While everyone was scrambling to get more btc so they could get a shitcoin (btc gold) then segwit (which got canceled but looks like might go through anyways?) the price of almost all where at bargain prices.  Now, btc has been stable around 14 to 16k, while other alts have pumped like crazy.  It is the absolute worst time to buy alts, especially the overinflated ones like ripple, cardano, and tron.  Now is the time to buy btc.

Thinking that btc has reached is peak don't realize that other bubble economies have reached trillion dollar marketcaps, crypto still has more bull runs ahead of it and btc leads the way.

So why am I taking the time to post this? Because a good friend of mine put 10k usd into ripple this morning . . .
yeah, please don't do that, what a horrible price to buy xrp at.

thanks man
sister1001

Activity: 237
Merit: 43

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 06:37:22 PM

I'm about to give you some hardcore advice, for FREE! Waoooo! (I promise, I won't shill a coin or promote anything, aren't those posts annoying?)
Take it seriously:

I see a lot of posts lately about what is the next big altcoin or what altcoin should I invest in? etc. etc.
About two months ago, the altcoin board was flooded with "what ICO should I invest in?" and now it's flooded with altcoin inquiries.
This matches the movement of the market as tons of money is being pumped into alts, particularly lower priced ones or coins that have been artificially pumped by youtubers, pump and dump groups, or Mr. Mcafee.

I understand the desire to find "the next big thing".  I understand the feeling that you have "missed the chance" on bitcoin or other alts.  I went through these myself.
But if you join the herd, you will either lose money or gain very little return on your investments.
Here is the advice:

Those who made tons of money the last 2 weeks are those who bought alts 2 months ago when btc was pumping like crazy because of the forks.
While everyone was scrambling to get more btc so they could get a shitcoin (btc gold) then segwit (which got canceled but looks like might go through anyways?) the price of almost all where at bargain prices.  Now, btc has been stable around 14 to 16k, while other alts have pumped like crazy.  It is the absolute worst time to buy alts, especially the overinflated ones like ripple, cardano, and tron.  Now is the time to buy btc.

Thinking that btc has reached is peak don't realize that other bubble economies have reached trillion dollar marketcaps, crypto still has more bull runs ahead of it and btc leads the way.

So why am I taking the time to post this? Because a good friend of mine put 10k usd into ripple this morning . . .

Oh well, all coins are due for a new correction now and then. I have made profit from Tron yet I am here hodling even if know that it has to correct. But, yeah, you are right... go to ICOs instead and buy cheap Wink

oturanbilboa

Activity: 454
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2018, 06:40:35 PM

The price of all altcoins fell. When will you buy if you do not buy now?
You said yesterday that the price of all altcoins rises and you could not buy. You do not buy it when you get a chance to buy it.

Shenzou

Activity: 1400
Merit: 283

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 06:41:06 PM

Take it seriously:

I understand the desire to find "the next big thing".  I understand the feeling that you have "missed the chance" on bitcoin or other alts.  I went through these myself.
Here is the advice:

When others sell, you buy.  When others buy, you sell.

While everyone was scrambling to get more btc so they could get a shitcoin (btc gold) then segwit (which got canceled but looks like might go through anyways?) the price of almost all where at bargain prices.  Now, btc has been stable around 14 to 16k, while other alts have pumped like crazy.  It is the absolute worst time to buy alts, especially the overinflated ones like ripple, cardano, and tron.  Now is the time to buy btc.

People should know the risk of putting money int cryptocurrency, they are unstable and unpredictibale investment that involves a lot of risques to it, first let me say that your friend is a bit stupid because why put that much into a coin that is only worth 2$, i mean just thinking about if the price goes down he will have no time to exchange it and will lose for sure, we are not saying that people should not invest in altcoins and we are not saying that they should put all of their moeny in them, cryptocurrencies are just another assets that we recommend taking advantage of its rise and its cuurent developpemnt to make profit, and wether you want to invest in them is up to you, if you want to invest in them or just holding to bitcoin is totaly up to you.
shinhurr

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 06:44:51 PM

Bitcoin aka Shitcoin will be dumped again. It unavoidable.
Bitcoin is inferior to so many altcoins, that the true altcoin is really Bitcoin

then go all in right now on any piece of crap that isn't bitcoin right this very second. good luck with that one. i think it may not work out how you plan.

bitcoiners have a blind spot when it comes to taking alts seriously. alt fanbois have absolutely the same problem in the opposite direction. everyone should be owning both and they'll be a bunch more relaxed.

I did own both and what I try to explain here is not to bash on bitcoin, I genuinely try to understand the reasoning for someone to advice that you should buy bitcoins.
yet, please convince me why I would still hold bitcoins? The only reason I would think of would be that I believe that it would rise in price. For transactions it is not usable at all atm and extremely expensive. If that is the only reason, then the next question in my mind would be: "why do people still think that bitcoin will rise?". I'm not saying it is not possible, it is just illogical, even if it is purely because people who want to gain money keep pumping the bubble.

Bitcoin drops in price as far as I know were caused by people (bitcoin.com) or platforms (steam) who were sending messages to the world that bitcoin is at its limits (ok, some are people who want to scam you in another coin *cough* bitcoin cash.., but certainly not all of them). Which is probably true given the transaction times and transaction fees to send something. If it would rise even more or the usage becomes more then these problems become worse. more problems means more public complaints, less usability, less incentive to buy. I imagine a storm of complaints coming from people who hold bitcoins that are basically worthless since they have to pay an insane amount of money just to transfer some. They probably won't care since they got rich holding them in that case, yet who would still buy them at that point when the transaction fee to get them is so high to buy them and to sell them again you'll lose a few 100 dollars. I do all my transactions recently in ETH because bitcoin is basically burning a big chunk of your money at the point you buy it.
If nobody buys anymore.. price will drop again, that or bitcoin will become a niche and be useful for the super rich. Or am I missing something?

So I really can't see why some are saying that bitcoin will hit 100 000 some day. I do not claim to understand this, I am following this as a hobby and not looking into the techs as much as I would want to, but by all means give me arguments that what I am saying is wrong.

Besides of that, it is true that it is inferior tech and there are still people out there who are no creating coins because they want to improve the technology or provide other use cases. Most of the coins out there have better tech than bitcoin. Granted, most of the coins out there copied the tech from another coin. Originally the possibility of moving money out of control of governments and a certain degree of 'anonymity' made bitcoin popular as far as I know. Why would a coin that provides better anonymity (hence the hype on anonymous coins recently I assume), faster and cheaper transactions, better toolchains, other use cases not take over at some point.

At some point, if it is not in the first 2-3 years and if blockchain is here to stay, then it is not unthinkable that some other coin will take over. Nobody knows which one.. for all we know nobody gains a thing and loses everything if the winner appears to be a completely new coin created by a political council once bitcoin-likes are completely accepted by governments and banks (if ever they will accept that or if ever the community will accept government control, yet remember laws can make it difficult for people to put money in and out of bitcoin) and the only way to gain these coins will be by exchanging with banks. Nobody can predict what will happen. So is it worth investing in altcoins.. who knows... probably not in the very long run, but why is bitcoin better?

Jiihaa

Activity: 104

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 06:48:19 PM

Keep in mind crypto fever is just rising.. New money is coming like newer before. All dealers are in big trouble because millions and millions peoples are hopping in.. I honestly think that now is wery good time buy almost anything. Expecially coins that hawe been long time in market and hawe good name  Roll Eyes
My friend just bought 5 coins basically by name..
Ilegendph

Activity: 434
Merit: 103

Thinking on the higher plane of existence.

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2018, 06:51:23 PM

Here is the advice:

For me its the best strategy that you will do, first comment what altcoin you already invested for after the price pump then sell that altcoin after that go back to forum and look for dumping ones. In this way, you guarantee that you will earn a lot, just be cautious since this kind of strategy is doing by others and might lead to greater loss on your side

E C O S T A R T |                              telegram      twitter      facebook                     Instant and transparent
                                   WE CREATE A CRYPTOCURRENCY FOR OUR PLANET  ▬▬▬▬   financing of environmental
[   WHITEPAPER      ONEPAGER   ]                JOIN                               projects.     
Xtra_Coin

Activity: 140

Blockchain Identity Verification

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 06:59:57 PM

What? Why? What for?? When everyone buys you sell, when everyone sells you buy? Usually people sell if for any item there is a normal (high) price, but buy at a low price, so I did not understand your point of view.

meanbean

Activity: 28

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 07:02:54 PM

Keep in mind crypto fever is just rising.. New money is coming like newer before. All dealers are in big trouble because millions and millions peoples are hopping in.. I honestly think that now is wery good time buy almost anything. Expecially coins that hawe been long time in market and hawe good name  Roll Eyes
My friend just bought 5 coins basically by name..

I agree with this...  I got back into crypto few days ago and when I tried to create account with major exchanges, most of them weren't accepting new registration due to heavy demand.  I believe there are a lot of newcomers coming into cryptocurrency space and that will benefit most coins out there.
Gekkoo

Activity: 604
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 07:03:36 PM

We should not criticize anyone's opinion, we should only argue on one issue. I understand your placement, but weaving the emotion aside and using the logic, What time to buy altcoin? The market cap has been increasing exponentially we must examine this question.
karasuri

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 07:13:37 PM

Well, anything beside Bitcoin is an altcoin, right?  So you are saying buy nothing but bitcoin?  Sorry, that make no sense to me.

I think this separation is stupid and it's time to move away from him. too many altcoins and too little bitcoin.
diskodasa

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 07:18:29 PM

I think this is not a right recommend. The first time of the year is always the good time to invest in altcoin. you can see the history of altcoins in the January, 2017 and in December, 2017 to understand

rejosh

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 07:20:56 PM

I think now is the best time, they will be coming down in price as btc rises, it takes a few days or a  few weeks but then the altcoins recover and follow btc.

It is best to have a long-term view.

Agree this is how I made most of my money. I have started with 1 btc and now I have over 10btc by doing alt game    Grin

████████
         ██████████████
     ████████   ████████
  ███████               ███████
██████                     ▀███▀
████                               
██                       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
████                     ▀████████
██████                     ▀██████
  ███████               ███████
     ████████   ████████
         ██████████████
               ████████

GoNetwork=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
[
]
[
]

▄ 
                          ▄▄███
                    ▄▄█▀▀  ██
              ▄▄█▀▀     ██▌
        ▄▄█▀▀   ▄▀   ██
 ▄▄█▀▀     ▄█▀     ▐██
██     ▄██▀          █▌
 ▀▀██▄███▀       ██
    ██▀▀█▄▄▄    ███
     █▄  ██▀▀▀█▄██
      █▄█▀

▄███▄▄   ▄
  ██                           ██████████▀
  ████▄                   ███████████▀
   ▀████████▄▄     ███████████
  ▄▄███████████████████████
  ████████████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
        ███████████████████
           ▀███████████████▀
              ▄███████████▀
   ▄▄█████████████▀

nter]
Emperor of Man

Activity: 886
Merit: 510

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 07:34:14 PM

What you say is advised by Warren Buffett too:

But if you want to advise people not to buy alts right now, you must be sure that alts will not rise more than this. I kind of doubt that.  Smiley
GeorgeEden

Activity: 126

Patience and knowledge are gold.

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 07:45:23 PM

Its gonna end bad for your friend probably but thats what happens when you have no experience you gota learn from your mistakes.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
DIW ◈    DIWtoken.com    ▐   WHITEPAPERANN THREADTELEGRAM   ▌    SECURITY DECENTRALIZED
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
sister1001

Activity: 237
Merit: 43

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 01:14:15 PM

-30% on almost every of my favorite altcoins! Time to buy ENG, LEND, VEN, GXS, FUEL, MANA, ADA ............

This is what OP meant, now everyone is selling - so we have to buy!

Like all general statements, there has to call for certain exceptions. There are always alt-coins that are still in price, the problem is that it takes an awful lot of time to evaluate them properly and some patience to realise profit.
Arngrim

Activity: 182
Merit: 13

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 01:18:08 PM

It had been always a good time to buy BTC for me.
Really, I still dont know where it will go even if I do the math.
All are just predictions which are not accurate enough to believe in.

Regarding with altcoins, not all will be dumped. There are some who are still going crazy just so to pull investors in their side.

GIVING VALUE TO YOUR ONLINE VIDEOS                      DEVELOPED & TESTED PLATFORM ✔                 
( ( (   BUZZSHOW   ) ) )
                               whitepaper    facebook    twitter    youtube    telegram    |       JOIN TOKEN SALE     12th Feb 2018
sweerty1

Activity: 453
Merit: 251

Presale Starting May 1st

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 01:20:39 PM

I couldn't really reject the idea behind this "dont buy when everyone was buying" is valid argument. But 2018 is gonna be very unique year when everyone will keep on buying. so i dont agree hard.

▄▄██▄▄
 ▄▄██████████▄▄
████████████████
████████████████
█████▀▀  ▀▀█████
█▀▀          ▀▀█
     ▄▄██▄▄
 ▄▄██████████▄▄
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████