Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:15:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-08-08 Bloomberg: The SEC Shows Why Bitcoin Is Doomed  (Read 1857 times)
Arvicco (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

Please bear with me

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2013, 08:16:41 PM

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-08/did-the-sec-just-validate-bitcoin-no-.html

Once the Almighty Government "takes interest" in Bitcoin, the pathetic little thing is doomed for sure, blah, blah, blah...

Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 08:26:07 PM

Aside from his blinkered implicit assumption that the USA is the entire known universe....

Journalists making big predictions should list their track record of past successful big predictions.

Arvicco (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

Please bear with me

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2013, 08:51:58 PM

Previously, you could dismiss Bitcoin because it's just "monopoly money"... but now, you can dismiss Bitcoin because it's "real money", and therefore doomed. It's really hard to please some people.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 09:29:32 PM

The court ruling in Texas is a huge positive for Bitcoin because it amounts to the court acknowledging Bitcoin for what it really is. Furthermore having governments treating Bitcoin as money is essential for Bitcoin's success because it avoids problems with VAT or GST, a type of tax levied by all major countries in the world with the notable exception of the United States. So enough for this US centric idea that it is good for Bitcoin for Bitcoin not to be money. The article has this issue completely wrong simply because it looks at this issue only from a US perspective.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
superduh

Activity: 602

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 09:38:53 PM

the article is pure garbage. little actual thought and reasoning went into it. journalists getting dumber and dumber

ok
superduh

Activity: 602

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 09:58:53 PM

user comments are funny but better than they have been in the past
ie-
You may not be able to make more bitcoins once the final amount is reached, but someone(s) can always make another bitcoin-like currency.  Perhaps call it "Byte Coin".  This would effectively bypass bit coin's selling point.  I would think.

yes, bytecoin worked out very well

ok
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 11:05:48 PM

This one is funny too: http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/08/08/more-proof-the-bitcoin-bubble-may-be-about-to-burs.aspx

No, no they don't want you to buy their secret ebook about 9 rock solid dividend paying stocks.  Roll Eyes
razorfishsl

Activity: 399
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2013, 11:11:18 PM

This one is funny too: http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/08/08/more-proof-the-bitcoin-bubble-may-be-about-to-burs.aspx

No, no they don't want you to buy their secret ebook about 9 rock solid dividend paying stocks.  Roll Eyes

I hate that F** ing article, notice the date ... 8 Aug..., this is not the first time it has been 're-hashed', this must be about the 3rd time that it has been released as new news.

It used to be a good site. but now it is just full of shill articles and text....

High Quality USB Hubs for Bitcoin miners
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=560003
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 11:12:03 PM

At least the author didnt compare bitcoin to beanie babies.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
Hfleer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 07:40:03 AM

What can they do really.  Make Americans purchase it underground or use other means, while it takes off everywhere else anyway.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 07:43:01 AM

Can you imagine the headlines if the judge had ruled the other way.  Does anyone think this guy would be saying Bitcoin now has a chance because a judge has ruled they are so worthless that you can't even commit fraud with them?
pacojones

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 07:48:36 AM

the article is pure garbage. little actual thought and reasoning went into it. journalists getting dumber and dumber

totally agree!

Hell, I remember saying how buying google stock was a stupid idea and how twitter would fail - now I'm no financial genius but I have some basic common sense...  I get the feeling I could make unfounded predictions for a well known news outlet and get eyeballs on the page (their ultimate goal) and make a bunch of money while waiting for my mining hardware!  Apparently you don't need to actually know what your talking about to write for these 'papers'!!

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 12:40:21 PM

The whole "judge said it, therefore is true and significant" just reinforces the idea that state monopolies are the sole arbiters of what is true and what is significant. Kind of beginning to piss me off that people keep repeating this; who cares what one judge says or thinks? I knew it was money already without him/her to OK it for me.

Vires in numeris
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2013, 01:10:29 PM

bad journalism is doomed.

westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 07:09:16 PM

The whole "judge said it, therefore is true and significant" just reinforces the idea that state monopolies are the sole arbiters of what is true and what is significant. Kind of beginning to piss me off that people keep repeating this; who cares what one judge says or thinks? I knew it was money already without him/her to OK it for me.

+1

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Jaymax

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 12:44:35 AM

Apparently you don't need to actually know what your talking about to write for these 'papers'!!

One of the things I've come to realise in my years, is that if you take ANY topic on which one could justifiably refer to one's self as an expert,  one will routinely be exasperated at the sheer I-need-a-brick-wall-for-my-head ignorance and stupidity and WFTness the so-called journalists inflict upon one.

bad journalism is doomed.

Ah, no.  There is a reason the biggest selling 'newspaper' in Britain is gossip rag.
Le Happy Merchant

Activity: 634

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 02:07:54 AM

The question this Article raises for me is 'who signs this guy's checks?'

Whoever they are, they're either getting ripped off, or exactly what they paid for.

prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2013, 01:14:11 PM

1.write an article making ill informed arguments
2. get comments from people calling you an idiot
3. make money
Coldfats

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 03:47:23 PM

"The group of developers who came up with Bitcoin did not produce a viable replacement currency, a revolution or even a particularly wise investment opportunity."

If he can't even get the basics right, how can his opinions hold any merit at all?
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 04:37:57 PM

The judge's decision has little to do with bitcoin's "truth" & everything to do with what what the US courts consider it to be.  People faced with legal action tend to lose interest in philosophical abstracts like "truth," becoming interested, instead, in the grantedly arbitrary opinion of the judge. 
That's who cares what judge thinks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: