Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 11:31:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Elizabeth T. Ploshay for Bitcoin Foundation board  (Read 13445 times)
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12983

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 08:57:29 PM
Last edit: September 14, 2013, 08:12:04 PM by theymos

Update: Here's a video of Elizabeth talking about her platform.

I've decided to support Elizabeth T. Ploshay for the upcoming Bitcoin Foundation individual board seat election. In my opinion, legal support and lobbying should be one of the Foundation's main areas of focus, and Ploshay's experience in Washington as a congressional staffer should be very useful in this area. Even though she's worked in Washington, she seems mostly libertarian, and she supports a reactive approach to government; she doesn't want to bring up legal issues preemptively. She strongly supports decentralization, and she doesn't want the Foundation to have centralized control over the Bitcoin network or ecosystem. Ploshay is the most qualified candidate for this position, and she also has the best and most clearly-presented platform.

Some quotes from the Foundation forum:

Quote from: Elizabeth T. Ploshay
The Bitcoin Foundation needs to be prepared and ready to expand in areas of key importance should matters arise such as increased government regulation and crackdown on Bitcoin related businesses and users.  While increased government regulation is still a potentiality and not necessarily a reality yet, the foundation still needs to work to find a balance between proactivity and preparation for what lies ahead as the currency still grows in prominence.  The Foundation again should work to develop tools and guidance for the Bitcoin community to have on hand should lobbying efforts need to be carried out in the future. 
The Bitcoin Foundation should serve predominantly as an educational institution with purposes to provide legal, Bitcoin educational, PR and marketing resources for members of the Bitcoin community, those interested in getting involved in the Bitcoin community, and even international politicians who are seeking further insight and information as to how Bitcoin works.
Members of the Bitcoin community and the Bitcoin Foundation must also be prepared to provide information to Members of federal, state and local governments and if necessary take a more proactive role in educating and lobbying leaders in the US and around the world to provide information and a full background on Bitcoin before it is too late.  Having served as a professional staff member for a Member of the US Congress in leadership, I understand the inner-workings of the legislative process here in the US and abroad.  Too often, leaders create and pass laws out of fear and ignorance.  The Bitcoin community DOES have the time and opportunity to share the truth and merits of Bitcoin to policymakers.  I hope to work with the foundation to craft a legislative strategy plan and additionally lobbying packets and tools for members of the Bitcoin community should we reach a point where we do need to take action to step in and fill the information void.
I would much rather encourage businesses to give back to the Bitcoin community through hiring individuals to solely work on the Bitcoin QT open source project than provide funds to the Bitcoin foundation to then hire Bitcoin QT open source developers.  Limited centralized control is key to preserving and promoting ingenuity in within the Bitcoin community.
History has proven that central planning, centralized control and the stifling of local and state governments is not the solution to societal woes or the source of economic growth.  In essence, the less government the better as ingenuity is found through individual choice and opportunity to work and develop systems whether base on monetary, technological, or ideological development.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
atomium
Donator

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

Study the past, if you would divine the future.

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 05:23:24 PM

Go Elizabeth! Shes great and I support her as well.
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 07:55:02 PM

It's great that she's stepping up to the plate.  I've met Elizabeth in person, she lives and breathes Bitcoin on a daily basis, and her skillset and background would be an excellent addition to the foundation board.  Especially in reaching out to international and female audiences.
kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 10:43:15 AM

Members of the Bitcoin community and the Bitcoin Foundation must also be prepared to provide information to Members of federal, state and local governments and if necessary take a more proactive role in educating and lobbying leaders in the US and around the world to provide information and a full background on Bitcoin before it is too late.  Having served as a professional staff member for a Member of the US Congress in leadership, I understand the inner-workings of the legislative process here in the US and abroad.  Too often, leaders create and pass laws out of fear and ignorance.  The Bitcoin community DOES have the time and opportunity to share the truth and merits of Bitcoin to policymakers.  I hope to work with the foundation to craft a legislative strategy plan and additionally lobbying packets and tools for members of the Bitcoin community should we reach a point where we do need to take action to step in and fill the information void.

I totally agree on this. The problem is: will they be able to understand it?

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 12:44:56 PM

I do not know any of the candidates, and have very little time to decide (and very little time to dedicate to the decision process).

Theymos' endorsement means a lot to me. I have asked a few questions on her thread:

1. What is your position regarding the relation of the current (U.S focused) Bitcoin Foundation and the emerging international chapters? FYI I am a board member in the Israeli Bitcoin Foundation (we haven't formalized our ties with TBF yet). Where do you stand on issues like member fees and donations made to international chapters? In your opinion what should the voting relationship be between the different chapters? What kind of decisions are decided where, and what kind of influence these bodies have on each other?)

2. What is your relation to the various alt currencies? To Ripple? To Mastercoin (FYI I am also a board member in the Mastercoin Foundation)?

3. What is your stance on anonymity? Do you think Bitcoin should embrace Zerocoin technology at some point?

4. Are you affiliated with any Bitcoin businesses?

5. Where do you stand on the lobbying issue? Do you support, object, or are neutral in regards to hiring lobbyists to promote Bitcoin interests?

The original thread is here, only accessible to foundation members (now is a great time to join!).

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
Arto
Donator

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 01:07:17 PM

The Bitcoin Foundation represents its constituent members, not all Bitcoin users and not some undefined "community."

The fact that the Bitcoin Foundation keeps its discussion board closed so the public cannot view it highlights this problem.  You have some members like Marco Santori saying they represent just the constituent members and business interests while you have others trying to claim the Foundation represents all of Bitcoin.  They don't have a consistent message and people are taking advantage of this unclear message and purpose.

Yes, this is most unfortunate. Joerg actually started a thread on the Foundation forums to open up at least some of the forums for (at least) anonymous read access, but it just didn't get much support:

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/forum/index.php?/topic/372-why-are-we-behind-a-paywall/

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 01:33:07 PM

Many of them are young people like theymos who think that because they have been involved in something for 2 or 3 years (something they characterize as some huge amount of time) that it gives them some sort of elevated status.

Whoaaa there...where did this come from?  Lets not jump to conclusions based on stereotypes.

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 10:59:41 AM

What the fuck is going on with her face? Is she a candidate for the humans or the hamsters?
charleshoskinson
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2013, 12:42:00 PM

Greyhawk, I'm glad you've continued the axiom of disliking everything and everyone I support. Btw, the earth is round.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 12:44:13 PM

Btw, the earth is round.

I'm gonna need some independent proof of that.
charleshoskinson
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2013, 12:47:13 PM

Smiley

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
mindtomatter

Activity: 434
Merit: 254

Editor-in-Chief of Let's Talk Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2013, 01:58:08 PM

I see what is happening now, this is playing itself out over on Reddit.

What the insiders want is someone who will not rock the boat and just go along with the flow.  The Bitcoin Foundation now wants to have "chapters" instead of forming independent groups that collaborate.  They have created a new meaningless buzz word (don't all politicians do that) called "Organized Decentralization."  http://elizabethtploshay.com/organized-decentralization/

Folks, people like Theymos are taking you for a ride.  It is like the donations to this forum which total over $600K.  Theymos has been given advice time and time again about how to secure this web site against attacks and hacks.  He never takes the advice and refuses to take even basic steps to run this site properly.  He also gives elevated status to people running obviously illegal services.  He is apparently holding on the $600K in case he needs some kind of legal defense. 

Just to be clear, am I the "insider" you're talking about?   Are there any other qualifications besides disagreeing with you?

Let's Talk Bitcoin! Interviews, News & Analysis released Tuesdays and Saturdays
http://www.LetsTalkBitcoin.com - Listener Mail -> adam@letstalkbitcoin.com
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 04:01:56 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=210130.msg3022330#msg3022330
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 04:44:51 PM

how old is Elizabeth?
og kush420

Activity: 1050
Merit: 110

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 04:58:37 PM

from these quotes shes too libertarian for my preference, i don't think the efforts of the foundation should be affected by any dogmatic ideology rather than specific issues. supporting limited government isnt really part of the job IMO since not all bitcoiners agree with that. but im not part of this, and i do support them to lobby on specific issues, good luck to the foundation
at least she isnt the owner of mtgox or coinlabs or coinbase or coinsomething like every other person there with power. foundation seems to me like an organization for bitcoin businesses to promote their financial interests. why do they even have industry seats? just let the owner of the damn business sign up himself and his members like everyone else..

DELTA9

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 05:17:24 PM

What the fuck is going on with her face? Is she a candidate for the humans or the hamsters?
Lol
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 05:28:56 PM

from these quotes shes too libertarian for my preference, i don't think the efforts of the foundation should be affected by any dogmatic ideology rather than specific issues. supporting limited government isnt really part of the job IMO since not all bitcoiners agree with that.

It's actually a very good thing that she is (or at least sounds) libertarian. If bitcoin is to be part of the mainstream and without introducing red tape, business-crippling changes, the foundation should partner with some pro-freedom organizations... although I can easily see that expecting a laissez-faire attitude from most 1st world governments is tilting at windmills once bitcoin grows further.

Signature space available for rent.
TomHirsch

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 06:37:03 PM

I've decided to support Elizabeth T. Ploshay

Please do not support Elizabeth.  She doesn't have bitcoin's best interests in mind. 

Look at her plan list here: http://bitcoinmagazine.com/6805/bitcoin-foundation-individual-seat-candidate-transcription-elizabeth-ploshay/

Number 2 is: "Work to bridge the gender gap."
This is complete BS.  Why doesn't she work to get the best people involved no matter what is between their legs?  I am tired of people trying to promote one gender ahead of another.  Just take people for their contributions without regard to social engineering to get one sex advanced up. 

Elizabeth will favor a female in some issue where the best choice is male.  This annoys me to no end.  Let Elizabeth go back to Washington and do her social engineering experiments there.

Bitcoin is for females and males alike - and we don't need to try to balance the gender gap - all people are welcome for the value of their contributions without regard for what happens to be in their pants. 

Bye Bye hamster girl.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2013, 07:36:43 PM

Lol

lol, but maybe its just a bad photo....and hamsters are cute  ;-) !

2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 07:48:13 PM

Seriously.

GOTO the bitcoinfoundation forums and read the respective candidates' threads.
Elizabeth is, in my very humble but honest opinion, the worst choice out there.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: