Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:59:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lavabit.com and Tormail Email Alternatives...  (Read 31057 times)
Sage (OP)

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 11:34:09 PM

Well, it seems the relentless march toward 1984 will never cease...

Both Lavabit and Tormail have been taken down by the Feds.

Aside from Bitmessage, anyone know of any other alternatives?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2013, 11:57:20 PM

http://www.dailydot.com/lifestyle/tor-tormail-dark-web-communication-pgp/

BitMessage is a decentralized, encrypted and peer-to-peer messenger. This program has seen a surge in popularity since the Snowden leaks.
TorChat is an easy-to-use anonymous messenger designed to fit nicely into the Tor environment. It has been widely used across the Dark Net spectrum since before Tor Mail’s fall.
PrivNote is a Clear Net messenger service that deletes notes once they’re read. Silk Road vendor RxKing prefers this service, but others refuse to use it, citing multiple security concerns.
SMS4TOR is a Tor-friendly version of PrivNote that has gained considerable traction thanks to its base a Tor hidden service.
I2P-Bote uses the I2P anonymizing software to provide a decentralized, encrypted, verified email service. The service is only in alpha and, due to its reliance on I2P, will probably not be widely adopted.
Privatdemail is an email service with a focus on privacy (as opposed to anonymity). Here’s a fun fact: You apparently can’t email Israel because the servers are located in an Arab country that forbids it. That policy will not inspire confidence, but even so, Privatdemail is already in use.
RiseUp is an email service built for “liberatory social change.” Users must apply and be approved for accounts, proving that they are activists fighting for positive change, which is whatever RiseUp’s founders deem it to be. In exchange, RiseUp keeps minimal logs, encrypts your data and defends your communications unlike many corporate email services.
Nym is a remailer that allows you to send encrypted emails without them being traced back to you, the sender.
Mixmail is a remailer similar to Nym but is much easier to use. It strips out identifying factors like an IP address, making a quick, anonymous email an easy proposition.
Jabber is a popular open-source, decentralized messaging system. It’s widely used by journalists already, particularly in the Middle East.
Tox.im is a currently-in-development tool that promises to allow encrypted and decentralized video and text chat reminiscent of Skype—only without Microsoft allowing the American government to listen in as they do.

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
threeip

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2013, 01:25:43 AM

Just use whatever email you like and encrypt your message. Encourage your recipients to do the same.

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ GPG:2AFD99BB ಠ_ಠ mon
madmadmax

Activity: 740
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 01:38:58 AM

Just use whatever email you like and encrypt your message. Encourage your recipients to do the same.

+1

I don't understand why would someone use tormail or any other "hidden" email service for that matter, if I was a fed looking for drug dealers that would be the first place I'd look, same thing with sensitive information..

▄▄▄▄▄               ▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄        ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄██▀        ▀██▄    ▄██▀         ▀█▄
██▀            ▀██▄  ▀▀             ██
██               ▀██        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
██                ▀██▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
 ██▄          ▄██   ▀██▄          ▄▄▄
  ▀██▄      ▄██▀      ▀██▄▄     ▄██▀
    ▀▀██████▀▀          ▀▀██████▀▀

Unchained Smart Contracts
Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
 ▀▀   █████     ██████████
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

El Extranjero

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 01:58:25 AM

Lavabit shutdown? I'm a current user of Lavabit and have had no problems with the service. When and why was Lavabit shutdown?

Edit: I just read the news -.- That fuckin' sucks! I paid to use Lavabuit for two years! Their service was great and there privacy features were some of the best I had ever seen. (Sigh) Guess it's back to searching for another alternative.  Undecided

giantdragon
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 04:58:46 AM

He could move to Russia and continue operation Lavabit from there IMHO! It would be nice slap in the NSA face Grin
evilpete

Activity: 77

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 05:38:11 AM

He could move to Russia and continue operation Lavabit from there IMHO! It would be nice slap in the NSA face Grin
And Russia's any better?

Snowden's in Russia because it was a way to annoy the US.  They're not a country that usually springs to mind when one is asked for examples of a country that respects civil liberties or human rights.

Hint: they just got their version of SOPA.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 06:21:15 AM

+1

However in addition to protect against back doors:
1) Use only Free Libre Open Source Software (FLOSS) to encrypt and decrypt the messages on a computer running a FLOSS Operating System under your control.
2) Use a FLOSS Operating System and mail program for example GNU/Linux with Thunderbird to send and receive messages.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
El Extranjero

Activity: 103

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 08:18:28 AM

I think encryption of messages sounds great but not too many people know about it or how to use it and TBH I think encryption is a little difficult to understand. I mean, even Nimda was offering lessons on PGP/GPG encryption here on the Bitcoin forum where you would expect most members to be pretty tech savvy.

jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2013, 11:19:06 AM

I think encryption of messages sounds great but not too many people know about it or how to use it and TBH I think encryption is a little difficult to understand. I mean, even Nimda was offering lessons on PGP/GPG encryption here on the Bitcoin forum where you would expect most members to be pretty tech savvy.

Very much agreed. It should be simpler.
I think the key to things like Blackberry Messenger that have become more widely used is that the keys are already generated. I know this is not as good as making sure you generate your own but it means it's alot more likely to be used. The insecurity this brings up only opens up a crack for feds and above to get in and most people only need a little bit more security than they currenctly have.

Thus an example,

k9mail (or a new app) should automatically generate gpg keys and pair this to your email on install, unless otherwise instructed. The pubkey is attached automatically and al messages signed by default.

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
narayan

Activity: 98

I do not sell Bitcoins. I sell SHA256(SHA256()).

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 11:36:58 AM

For email services, I think running your own mail server is a good idea.

BTC: 1PiPooLvcEoBLuXBHbwUnN5rShs2nas223
LTC: LRq7YPMDoERSZcte9ZPNHQkUbfiPsY55VM
Fallen666

Activity: 409
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2013, 12:04:43 PM

They should move the operation to iceand

glitch003

Activity: 219
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 12:49:49 PM

+1

I don't understand why would someone use tormail or any other "hidden" email service for that matter, if I was a fed looking for drug dealers that would be the first place I'd look, same thing with sensitive information..

You're absolutely right, but the issue is that many users don't know how to to encrypt their message.  Could you ask your mom to send you an encrypted email, for example? 
BitTrade

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 02:26:25 PM

Yeah, because I'm sure that everyone I communicate with knows what encryption is, and how to send/receive encrypted e-mails.  
The 4ner
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 602

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 05:44:53 PM

Hopefully they don't shutdown for good.I don't think I'll be using any email service in the meantime.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 05:59:59 PM

Yeah, because I'm sure that everyone I communicate with knows what encryption is, and how to send/receive encrypted e-mails.  
This video might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bakOKJFtB-k

Aside from Bitmessage, anyone know of any other alternatives?
There's a mail server in the I2P network that it linked to the outside internet via a relay.
LorenzoMoney

Activity: 335
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 06:30:07 PM

What is the opinion here about hushmail.com?

https://twitter.com/Lorenzo_Money -- Bitcoin Address: 1EttqaSSCksRAXrwejoChs5zmGjSikN9mC -- http://lorenzomoney.wordpress.com/
The Bulk of mankind is as well equipped for flying as thinking. - Jonathan Swift
DOGE COIN address: DSYMgD1HfmJFwNuc6Zvhp7PkrVD1QRBsgu
cryptasm
Legendary

Activity: 997
Merit: 1002

Gamdom.com

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2013, 08:00:01 PM

What is the opinion here about hushmail.com?

HushMail is not secure

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hushmail#Compromises_to_email_privacy
The 4ner
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 602

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 08:49:50 PM

Yeah, I've heard Hush mail is a POS.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 08:54:10 PM

I assume someone has already mentioned bitmessage.org (even though it's not email) it could replace email someday as a secure alternative.

more or less retired.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: