Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:53:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [No] Did FinCEN overstate the money transmitter definition in their guidance?  (Read 2974 times)
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 11:46:18 PM

On edit:  DOH.  I realized somehow I had window open with outdated (2009) version of the regs.  Well prior to 2011 when the reg was updated it would have been a decent argument.  The latest version of the regs however are symmetric so no joy there.

5) Money transmitter —(i) In general. (A) A person that provides money transmission services. The term “money transmission services” means the acceptance of currency, funds, or other value that substitutes for currency from one person and the transmission of currency, funds, or other value that substitutes for currency to another location or person by any means. “Any means” includes, but is not limited to, through a financial agency or institution; a Federal Reserve Bank or other facility of one or more Federal Reserve Banks, the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, or both; an electronic funds transfer network; or an informal value transfer system

Since you can't delete anything from this forum I will leave the original incorrect post below so everyone can see my mistake.  
I was rereading the Bitcoin Foundation's response to DFI and the section dealing with the asymmetry of the MT law in CA.  At first it caused me to first say "man I wish the federal law was written similarly" and then made me check to see what the wording actually was.

In the guidance dated FinCEN states
The term "money transmission services" means "the acceptance of currency, funds, or other value that substitutes for currency from one person and the transmission of currency, funds, or other value that substitutes for currency to another location or person by any means."11

11)
31 CFR § 1010.100(ff)(5)(i)(A).

http://www.fincen.gov/statutes_regs/guidance/html/FIN-2013-G001.html

However what does the actual regulate states.

31 C.F.R. 103.11(uu)(5)

(5) Money transmitter— (i) In general. Money transmitter:
(A) Any person, whether or not licensed or required to be licensed, who engages as a business in accepting currency, or funds denominated in currency, and transmits the currency or funds, or the value of the currency or funds, by any means through a financial agency or institution, a Federal Reserve Bank or other facility of one or more Federal Reserve Banks, the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, or both, or an electronic funds transfer network;

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=&SID=a7e1bef2c8dbac0d6893186f0c01390c&n=31y3.1.6.1.2&r=PART&ty=HTML#31:3.1.6.1.2.1.3.1

Removing the aspects not in dispute it becomes:
accepting currency, or funds denominated in currency, and transmits the currency or funds, or the value of the currency or funds

The actual definition doesn't provide three criteria for accepting and transmitting as the guidance indicates but rather two criteria for accepting and a third criteria for transmitting.

Accepting:
a) currency
b) funds denominated in currency

AND

Transmitting
a) currency
b) funds
c) the value of the currency or funds

Note that despite the statement in the guidance the actual reg does not define a money transmitter as one who accepts "the value of the currency or funds" that is only included in the definition for transmission.  One could argue this is merely an oversight by FinCEN however this particular reg has been updated three times.  If the reg was intended to state the following as FinCEN claims they why doesn't it?

Any person, whether or not licensed or required to be licensed, who engages as a business in accepting currency, or funds denominated in currency, or other value that substitutes for currency and transmits the currency or funds, or the value of the currency or funds, by any means through a financial agency or institution, a Federal Reserve Bank or other facility of one or more Federal Reserve Banks, the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, or both, or an electronic funds transfer network

Reg 31 CFR § 1010.100(ff)(5)(i)(A) as implied by FinCEN's guidance (the bolded portion is absent from the actual regulation).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MSantori

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 03:06:10 AM
Last edit: August 09, 2013, 03:18:43 AM by MSantori

Don't be embarrassed. Be embarrassed when you do that in a brief and then have to dance around it in front of a judge on oral argument.

But call me first. I've done it more times than I care to admit. I can pretty much walk you through it Wink

Marco Santori is a lawyer, but not your lawyer, and this is not legal advice.  If you do have specific questions, though, please don't hesitate to PM me.  We've learned this forum isn't 100% secure, so you might prefer to email me.  Maybe I can help!  Depending upon your jurisdiction, this post might be construed as attorney advertising, so: attorney advertising Smiley
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2013, 06:10:21 AM

D&T, haven't you already argued people out of your initial interpretation, or was that someone else? LOL

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: