Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:32:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dark Exchange: a 100% decentralized p2p exchange  (Read 92235 times)
jtimon
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2012, 07:38:54 AM

Interesting thread about USDcoins earlier. Basically a crypto coin pegged to the dollar right?

Yes. Someone (say mtgox) backs them. The concept is basically the same as BeerTokens.

I talked about a chain where issuance of different crypto-currencies (or crypto IOUs if you prefer) by users is allowed.
It's probably outdated. And I have concerns about scalability and DoS attacks (spaming and such).

In this other thread, a chain is not needed, but still usd IOUs can be issued by users and traded for bitcoins atomically.

I'm thinking lately about combining both things so I should review both threads properly.

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 08:01:37 AM

usdCoin miners? A different chain? Why? Just "taint" satoshis, no need to create another chain, that's much more complicated.

What's the problem with a new chain?
Another currency, another chain.
I don't think it's more complicated, the issuers can just use the beertoken code and change the name and backing of the currency.

It would be great to be able to trade ripple credits for bitcoins. But to make the trades atomic and decentralized you need:

1) Decentralized ripple (in progress).
2) commit scripts.

But how do you make sure that every coin is worth exactly 1 USD ?
Every usdCoin is backed by a usd. This is the same if usdCoins are implemented through tainted satoshis, right?

To control the price, there would have to be an entity who controll the supply of the currency and the currency would essentially become centralized. There is no other way.

Who could be such issuer ?

A trust like the one sacarlson describes for beertokens.
An exchange (say mtgox) that wants to provide decentralized exchanges while still providing the service of "storing your dollars".
An association of businesses that doesn't want to rely on centralized exchanges. 

I'm a little late to the party but a bump can't hurt with this interesting thread anyway.

Maybe there is an alternative to a new chain as starting it is a little risky (51%), at least it would have to be merge mined.

Following "marked" satoshis should be possible with some rules.

Also with namecoin it would be possible to create all kinds of bonds: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=66868

With fiat bonds / fiat coins the issuer could simply take (part of) the interest he get's from the fiat money.

Also there are proprietary redeemable codes (gox).

matthewh3
Legendary

Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2012, 10:30:03 PM

Is this project still being developed?  I downloaded it and got it running and connected to two peers.  Is that the whole user base?

jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2012, 11:18:49 PM

I never got this working...

Just a WoT running on Tor, I2P, freenet, or just some p2p network would be something...

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2012, 11:47:53 PM

I never got this working...

Just a WoT running on Tor, I2P, freenet, or just some p2p network would be something...

http://wxi2mgugw4732xs7.onion:8081

Its a start at least; it needs users in order to learn what it does not have that would be nice to look into adding to it...

...It is massively configurable so just setting up all the transaction types or whatever that the users find they need is going to take some time and some users. It is GPL'd free open source so the time users put into working out how best it should be configured and so on won't be wasted as anyone else can run the same code if one or more sites using it vanish.

So please do come help figure out whether it is useful and how best to put it to use...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2012, 12:08:31 AM

Interesting thread about USDcoins earlier. Basically a crypto coin pegged to the dollar right?

You could probably back it by redeeming for 1USD per coin with the usd in a bank vault somewhere.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2012, 05:48:07 AM

"Exchanges" seem to have a somewhat biased view of trading, maybe, as looking at things like this thesis:

fiximulator.org/FIXimulator_Thesis.pdf

and looking at the whole "marketcetera" platform, and at the FIX protocol for equjities trading, and such sources, it reads a lot more like a vast world wide distributed network of traders, with to some extent a "buy side" where fund managers and such see things from their side, and a "sell side" where middlepeople such as stock exchanges try to find buy side folk looking to buy different things and match them up, partly presumably by means of the stuff some buyers are using as wealth to buy stuff with happens to be stuff that other folk are actually looking to buy.

Or something.

Certainly it is not "centralised", heck not only do some nations have more than one stock exchange but there are more and more nations that have at least one stock exchange.

Some of this stuff makes it seem like the so called stock exchanges are just gaggles / mobs of  sell-side folk ganging up the better to out-do the smaller sell-side folk..

fiximulator.org/FIXimulator_Thesis.pdf

http://www.marketcetera.org/

http://www.fixprotocol.org/

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
matthewh3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2012, 08:11:56 PM

Is this project still being developed?  I downloaded it and got it running and connected to two peers.  Is that the whole user base?

I can connect to three peers now  Grin  It's a shame the app won't connect to Tor and I2p at the same time.  As a lot more people use Tor.  Is it still being developed this project  Huh  Does it make sense to still donate to the donation wallet address in the GitHub Wiki  Huh

jtimon
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2012, 05:57:24 PM

Atomic trades could be possible using this software now with colored coins.

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 06:37:39 PM

I can connect to three peers now  Grin  It's a shame the app won't connect to Tor and I2p at the same time.  As a lot more people use Tor.  Is it still being developed this project  Huh  Does it make sense to still donate to the donation wallet address in the GitHub Wiki  Huh
commits atleast 1 year old so no, mostly dead Sad

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
ArsenShnurkov
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 02:37:26 AM

I think the following factors lead to the failure of this p2p-exchange:
1) absence of raw internet version
2) weird development technology (should be c++/qt)
3) absence of internet site
4) no articles, video tutorials on yourtube
5) no promotion on blogs, news feeds, etc
6) absence of partner program (for established exchangers, who can accept wire transfers)
just compare it's marketing strategy with mtgox's one
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 10:02:44 PM

I think the following factors lead to the failure of this p2p-exchange:
1) absence of raw internet version
2) weird development technology (should be c++/qt)
3) absence of internet site
4) no articles, video tutorials on yourtube
5) no promotion on blogs, news feeds, etc
6) absence of partner program (for established exchangers, who can accept wire transfers)
just compare it's marketing strategy with mtgox's one
Was this for real? I thought it was just an idea. LOL. A pitty, though.
xeverse

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 11:49:06 PM
Last edit: March 29, 2013, 07:53:19 PM by Xenius

How realtime market datafeeds are managed?
carborundum

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:09:19 PM

How realtime market datafeeds are managed?

I like this idea. Centralised exchanges are a weakness in Bitcoin. I'll get reading and maybe get involved
papaminer

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Free World

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 08:43:32 PM

This is very good....

ALL MINERS SHOULD ALL USE THIS...

LEAVE EXCHANGES!!!!!!!

฿: 1L7dSte4Rs4KyyxRCgrqSWYtkXdAb4Gy1z

MORE INFO ABOUT ME: BTC
alberthendriks

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 09:56:56 PM

Hi all,

Don't get too enthusiastic yet. I've done some research today on p2p exchanges. Indeed, the dark exchange is brilliant. I've read all pages today. They do run into some trouble though: how can you make sure the dollars for the btc are transfered. And how do you do that decentralized? My conclusion, which I'm discussing with user "ConceptPending", is that there are p2p bitcoin exchange projects that solve this. Yes, there are other projects that have the same goal as this topic. One of them is p2px. It doesn't have any code yet but the concept is right. The other one is bitcoinx. It has code, a website, and an hour ago I decided to join them (I'm going to spend 2 months of fulltime coding). So don't forget to explore your options before joining anything!
matthewh3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 10:08:10 PM

Hi all,

Don't get too enthusiastic yet. I've done some research today on p2p exchanges. Indeed, the dark exchange is brilliant. I've read all pages today. They do run into some trouble though: how can you make sure the dollars for the btc are transfered. And how do you do that decentralized? My conclusion, which I'm discussing with user "ConceptPending", is that there are p2p bitcoin exchange projects that solve this. Yes, there are other projects that have the same goal as this topic. One of them is p2px. It doesn't have any code yet but the concept is right. The other one is bitcoinx. It has code, a website, and an hour ago I decided to join them (I'm going to spend 2 months of fulltime coding). So don't forget to explore your options before joining anything!

Users will loose nothing in setting this up other than five minutes of there time.  As all actual BTC and fiat trading is done off the app.  This app just matches orders and could do with some development.  Although as shown by the (new) Ripple project unless the development can be monetised it's a lot less likely to happen.

Thanks for the heads-up I will check out p2px and bitcoinx but a dark/deepnet p2p exchange is the best option IMO especially as more alt-coins gain momentum. 

rpgreseller

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 04:16:57 AM

Any interest in developing a decentralized marketplace, not an exchange. I.e. I can sell a fountain pen or keyboard on a P2P eBay system?
I developed for PlayerAuctions.com, and I want to create a decentralized marketplace. I.e. I'm a developer seeking link minders.
leathan

Activity: 111
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2015, 08:54:33 AM

Not sure how this is going and have put 0 work into it but im curious? how is this going?

I thought superNET was the decentralized exchange?

count=($(grep -d recurse -Hn "wallet\.dat" / | cut -d":" -f1 | uniq -c |xargs echo | grep -oh -P '(\d+) ')); sum=0; for i in ${count[*]}; do sum=$(($sum+$i)); done; echo $sum; #  soo much crypto?
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 09:10:38 AM

Any interest in developing a decentralized marketplace, not an exchange. I.e. I can sell a fountain pen or keyboard on a P2P eBay system?
I developed for PlayerAuctions.com, and I want to create a decentralized marketplace. I.e. I'm a developer seeking link minders.
Why not just use Open Bazaar and have a decentralized storefront?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  

Jump to: