Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:07:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to figure out the top?  (Read 242 times)
Beerwizzard (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 148

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 02:18:43 PM

Hey there! Everyone knows the golden rule of trading - "Never buy at the top". But the question is how can I figure out that the current price of  the coin is now at it's top and won't grow more? The first thing that comes to my mind is to monitor the amount of buy and sell orders and the time when markets are opened / closed. But anyway I'm startong this thread aiming to hear some usefull tips from experienced traders.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CantIdentify

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 05:12:47 PM

well of course you gotta monitor everything!  i personally always check platforms such as CoinJournal, the Merkle, CoinIdol and I loooooooove youtube channel that Cointelegraph has!! It's hilarious, I am officially a fan
ChinkyEyes

Activity: 687
Merit: 301

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 05:28:06 PM

It will be hard in the beginning but after you gain experience you will get the feeling of it.
I suggest you research some coins you like, good projects. Monitor them for a long period and this will make you see opportunities when to buy and when to sell. Therefore you can figure out the top or the bottom. The key is experience.
Mister1k

Activity: 896
Merit: 520

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 05:45:29 PM

Hey there! Everyone knows the golden rule of trading - "Never buy at the top". But the question is how can I figure out that the current price of  the coin is now at it's top and won't grow more? The first thing that comes to my mind is to monitor the amount of buy and sell orders and the time when markets are opened / closed. But anyway I'm startong this thread aiming to hear some usefull tips from experienced traders.

You can check the information like complete price movement, coin circulation in the market and marketplace usage. So try on the coinmarketcap.com. There are many site like this coinmarketcap site.
If there is frequent fluctuations in the market you can make the investment on the concern coin according to the value on it.
Now all the altcoins are dumping from yesterday. So check carefully while you are going to invest on the altcoin.
VitKoyn

Activity: 490
Merit: 106

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 05:59:48 PM

In trading/investing we always want to maximize our earnings, so we want to sell at the point that it will reach the max value it can reach before the price correction but it is very hard to know on what point a specific cryptocurrency price will stop growing or increase, this is why most traders prefer buying whenever there is a drop in value (because it is more likely that a coin price will increase if you buy in dips) and set a target profit price on when they will sell it because no one will ever know on when will other trader/investor take their profit after the increase in price and of course we don't want to be last one. maximizing your earning is good but being greedy is not.
kumara

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 06:51:10 PM

The old adage "buy the rumor and sell the news!" aptly applies in crypto. Coins almost always peak with some news making the perfect time to sell.  Also try to buy at or nearest the 24hr low.
tdrinker

Activity: 276
Merit: 103

Join FlipNpik Telegram : t.me/flipnpikico

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 07:45:00 PM

It's really hard with coins that are pumping like crazy, with anything else just look for support/resistance levels and try to stick within those margins. With coins that are pumping just sell out gradually so you're not disappointed if you miss the exact top.

Dydot

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 07:51:37 PM

I like this topic because it has always been on my mind. I have always wished to know how to identify the 'top' and 'deep'. I look forward to learning from the experts in crypto trading here.

godzillarekt007

Activity: 266
Merit: 106

Floki Robot

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 09:42:17 PM

well of course you gotta monitor everything!  i personally always check platforms such as CoinJournal, the Merkle, CoinIdol and I loooooooove youtube channel that Cointelegraph has!! It's hilarious, I am officially a fan

Lol you joking right? I don't know if you are but I sincerely hope so because those mediums will probably be lagging a few days behind what is actually happening and you don't want to miss out on getting a better price. I would follow the coins themselves closely because all coins are different and it won't be one magical day where a top is had for every single coin.

blue_nexus15

Activity: 532

█ J A X N E T W O R K █

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 10:23:22 PM

I like this topic because it has always been on my mind. I have always wished to know how to identify the 'top' and 'deep'. I look forward to learning from the experts in crypto trading here.
"Peak" is the point that investors have sold a lot when their desired profit return, but the "bottom" is the point that investors buy a lot because the idea that coin will not be reduced further. half. You can track this on the candlestick chart of your coin you follow, so that one crosses the highest point that the candlestick is going to be the "peak", the one nearest to the deepest point, the candlestick chart is the "bottom" of it

Beerwizzard (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 148

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 10:41:05 PM

In trading/investing we always want to maximize our earnings, so we want to sell at the point that it will reach the max value it can reach before the price correction but it is very hard to know on what point a specific cryptocurrency price will stop growing or increase, this is why most traders prefer buying whenever there is a drop in value (because it is more likely that a coin price will increase if you buy in dips) and set a target profit price on when they will sell it because no one will ever know on when will other trader/investor take their profit after the increase in price and of course we don't want to be last one. maximizing your earning is good but being greedy is not.
Sure. Buying in dips is a great idea but if the price pf the coin is going down and it seem pretty low comparing to the previous price it can still get lower and is not a fact that it will recover later. It seem to be a safer option to buy coin when it already started its recovery but then comes a question that I've asked at the first post because some coins can double their price after you thought like "yep, thats a top".
Reatim

Activity: 2828
Merit: 359

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 10:50:15 PM

Personal experience mate, I only used my common sense and trading instinct. If I feel that someone that coins is really being pump and pump later. I tend to get out and sell it at the price which I think would be the top price of it. As an example, I sold bitcoin at prices from $18,300, $18,600 and then $19K. I dumped a few of my stash and just bought it back again when it dip at $12K-$13K and it looks like my instinct is correct. Of course I also looks at the graph, but I'm not that technical though and I believed that TA is not applicable to our market because of its volatility.

I'm not saying that I'm always right, but sometimes I book order to my advantage. Maybe if you are in the trading that long you will instinct, as opposed to panic selling.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬
Dart18

Activity: 1400
Merit: 259

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 11:07:22 PM

Actually it is hard to tell when the real peak is.
If suddenly more investors came in it will be another pump.
Even with the day traders around, they will problems in telling whether they should sell or not.
You could look at news about one coin then maybe one of that news could be the reason of its increase.
Monitor the market of it. It might take a while to see it but it will be clear if you are a real follower.
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 11:25:01 PM

Hey there! Everyone knows the golden rule of trading - "Never buy at the top". But the question is how can I figure out that the current price of  the coin is now at it's top and won't grow more? The first thing that comes to my mind is to monitor the amount of buy and sell orders and the time when markets are opened / closed. But anyway I'm startong this thread aiming to hear some usefull tips from experienced traders.

i'm mainly looking for two things:

1. high volume. when markets reverse, it's usually after very high volume. an equilibrium has been reached: every buyer has found a seller and every seller has found a buyer. these events are also sometimes called "capitulation." the shorters from the bottom finally panic and buy the top.

2. time. let's say the price of an instrument has been flagging for a couple weeks. then the price breaks out to the upside. eager bears will often try to begin shorting almost immediately. but since the flag took weeks (during which time all traders were building positions), the next leg up should take at least several days to play out. in other words, you can use time analysis to avoid calling the top too early.

realistically, you can only know when the real "top" is in long afterwards. this is more about taking profit and managing risk.

yanto@1977

Activity: 686
Merit: 100

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 12:17:01 AM

As a technical trader/ investor, I only see the second top price action using long term period. Example is just like this, first, set your time into month and see top number ( price ) comes up. Usually, after second top the price will change direction ( become higher or lower ). After second top comes up don't take open position, wait and see the price go and take option ( buy/ sell ). This rules also can use to find the bottom price action and usually works. This strategy not always give you profit but you'll get the right moment to start. 

kapipindot

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 02:38:53 AM

I'm not an expert but if you're on short trading, you set your candle time into 1 or 5 minutes. I usually rely on MACD, RSI and Volume, I am using a custom one that tells you if it is already at buy/sell zone. Also, I am looking at the history of the prices of the coin I wanted to buy. Look at the previous highs (not the pumped ones with sudden spikes) and that should give you a good hint. I practice taking profit as low as 2% per trade as it is easier to hit small profits from 2%-5% that waiting for the top.
slashz9

Activity: 1554
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 07:00:45 AM

well of course trading starts from experience without experience you like like being gamble, for example I invest on one coin and I monitor it every time LOL, maybe because I'm still a beginner or amateur I try not to see it but can not hahaha.ketika price drop me panic, between holding it or selling it.
in contrast to their pro traders will not be affected, even if prices rise or fall they remain stable. Cheesy
mulukey

Activity: 308

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 07:14:48 AM

You should rely on a little knowledge of candlestick chart analysis to evaluate the peaks of copper. The top of the coin on the chart is the value that the coin reached the highest where the investor received a large profit so it sold a lot. If you use a horizontal bar drawn on the chart that passes through the highest points of the coin, that is the top of the coin.
supermine

Activity: 826
Merit: 518

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 08:24:20 AM

Never buy at the top means don't buy a coin when the price rapidly increases for a little while like XRP it has been increasing rapidly from Christmas so its a while now so there is more chance to price getting dumped soon so you have to wait for the dump and buy it for cheaper price.But if you want to make more profits you have to monitor the prices in all exchanges in some you can get it for cheaper and in somewhere is price will be expensive so buy ans sell in no time will give you good profits.
But all are just the prediction no assurance when it will be top and what the price would be so its like a gambling,we need to be lucky to make money.
Laland

Activity: 317
Merit: 104

Bounty manager

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 08:33:23 AM

Never buy at the top means don't buy a coin when the price rapidly increases for a little while like XRP it has been increasing rapidly from Christmas so its a while now so there is more chance to price getting dumped soon so you have to wait for the dump and buy it for cheaper price.But if you want to make more profits you have to monitor the prices in all exchanges in some you can get it for cheaper and in somewhere is price will be expensive so buy ans sell in no time will give you good profits.
But all are just the prediction no assurance when it will be top and what the price would be so its like a gambling,we need to be lucky to make money.

I think this could be a precise definition. It is not easy to predict coins even if you really are updated in there website. And sometimes the prices of the coin dont return to their original low price. Like when a coin was at 1 dollar and it peaked, chances are we cant wait for it to go down so that we can buy it again. It may return to 3 dollars but we can just hope it will increase and buy at its currency price.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: