Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:48:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin transaction fees are abnormal  (Read 213 times)
marinko9 (OP)

Activity: 103
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 09:04:49 PM

I have just made a withdrawal from Coinbase of 0.00581882 BTC and the 0.00120204 BTC was a transaction fee!?

So, to the end BTC address there was only 0.00461678 BTC!

Why are the transactions fees so big. What is the point here?
nl247

Activity: 518
Merit: 145

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 09:17:49 PM

Network congestion, scaling issue that is yet to be resolved, or possibly there is a solution, but has not been implemented yet and hoping it gets implemented soon enough.  Honestly, it is disturbing but nothing we can all do for now than to hope that lightening network gers deployed soon and that solves the problem at hand to give us back the speedy and less fee transaction that we used to have.
nightmanisrightman

Activity: 252
Merit: 101

Global Risk Exchange - gref.io

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 09:36:30 PM

Nothing extreme happened it is that bitcoin fees are a % of what bitcoin is worth and since bitcoin has 10x since last year you have to realize that fees also will 10x from last year. Fees are roughly gone up a bit higher than this but until they implement LN there is nothing that we can do if we want to transact in BTC. If you have small amounts try using DOGE coin or a DAG coin with zero fees for transactions if possible.

▐▐ █     GRE   ≣   GLOBAL RISK EXCHANGE     █ ▌▌
━━  ((     Whitepaper     |     ANN Thread     ))  ━━
Telegram       Medium       Facebook       Twitter       Github
Alns

Activity: 602
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 09:43:00 PM

So you just said that you paid about 0.0012 of fees of a single transaction of 0.005, then let me ask you, why are you cashing out money without knowing how much money you are going to pay for fees?

it is like making a bank transfer of $30 when you need to pay $25 for international fees, no offense, but that is how it works.

And if you do not like to pay fees, just switch all your balance to other crypto, and that will be fine, i will suggest you a few one who have low fees; Dogecoin, Litecoin, Dash, Ripple, and so on..
avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 1500

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 09:55:26 PM

I have just made a withdrawal from Coinbase of 0.00581882 BTC and the 0.00120204 BTC was a transaction fee!?

So you have paid 20% as transaction fees. We have long diverted from the actual goal of bitcoin for creating a p2p decentralised currency. It is also going through a massive scaling issue which needs to be resolved immediately or bitcoin is going to die a slow and painful death.

The only hope is the lightening network which is currently being tested on testnet. The sooner it is implemented the better for us. Otherwise people who require frequent transactions, will certainly move their money elsewhere to some technically superior currencies.

Valentina N

Activity: 798
Merit: 103

https://www.swanfinance.io/

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 09:59:34 PM

Yes this is an anomaly situation! Not only bitcoin! Can you imagine I wait some transaction for during two days!!!  Expensive, not anonymous, slow! Awful!

Earn 20% interest in staked crypto with #SwanFinance 🦢
JMD07

Activity: 378
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 10:02:41 PM

This is normal to people who are doing a business. Without a regulation from government this businessman will surely do what they want. Take advantage of the high demand.
They are milking us.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 10:07:15 PM

The network is chock full of transactions right now. As I am writing this post there are over 170k transactions which remain unconfirmed, and it has been hovering around this amount for a fairly long time now. The lowest I saw it get to within the past week or so has been around 130k transactions being unconfirmed, followed by another jump up to 190k and then back down to a pretty steady 170k since then. It was like this during the insane pump to close to 20k as well; it crossed 200k unconfirmed transactions on a number of occasions and it was completely filling blocks. Even now they remain completely filled as the network tries to cut down the quantity, at least mostly full anyways.

Switch to something like blockchain.info if you don't want to pay the insane fees, blockchain at least lets you customize those fees.
sirkings0003

Activity: 252
Merit: 10

Telegram: https://t.me/ViolaAI

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 10:07:50 PM

Woww. You are talking of 20% fee payment. That is really very high. I believe that this is already being worked on by the developers. maybe very soon, big relief will come. If not, bitcoin will die a natural death.

LOVE on the Blockchain (Viola.AI): Telegram: https://t.me/ViolaAI | Website: http://bit.ly/Viola-AI-BitCoinTalk | Watch the CEO: http://bit.ly/MessagefromCEO | http://bit.ly/MessagefromCEO-CN
faatipoke

Activity: 321
Merit: 100

Token That Will Transform The Venture Capital Mark

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 10:24:26 PM

firstly your amount is too low for bitcoin. honestly, bitcoin is for rich people from now, not for that low amount of wealth. transaction fees are higher for low cap of transactions. you should chose cheaper coins such as litecoin, even digibyte. you should check transfer fee before transfering

do not forget, bitcoin is not for transaction nor low value of payments. bitcoin is digital gold, you store wealth on bitcoin. if you want to make a payment or transfer money, there are tons of other good cryptocurrencies.

mega_carnation

Activity: 376
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 10:31:56 PM

Well your withdrawal was deducted with the fee so you don't have to ask the remaining balance you've got on your wallet. I was about to send 0.002 BTC and the fee for the lowest priority is even 0.00251BTC isn't that great? Bitcoin is only for the rich people and for us who are too small to trade can't avail the fees.
eucalyptus

Activity: 280
Merit: 71

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 10:44:23 PM

I totally agree with that bitcoin transaction fees are to high. Yes it is because of mass transactions but if we will pay that amount of money for transaction it is not good for the future of cryptocurrencies. There will e no difference with western union to send money.

lotto-fan

Activity: 137
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 10:54:09 PM

Hopefully with lightning network the fee will become much lower, now it is insane and it will not help the bitcoin.
marinko9 (OP)

Activity: 103

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 10:54:48 PM

Thank you all for your comments. Yes, 20% of a fee is way to much but I didn't see any other options becuase I actually made the transaction from Coinbase to another exchange where I wanted to buy some small amount of new altcoins and I needed BTC for the purchase.

I guess in the future I would need to exchange BTC on Coinbase to ETH for example, then transfer the ETH to another exchange. On this other exchange change back the ETH to BTC and make the purchase or just transfer some bigger amounts of BTC as you pointed out..

It is all getting quite complicated and it seems I will need to spend a lot of time calculating for the best methods just to buy some altcoin the easiest way and without being robbed by way overrated fees in the process.
Tenderino

Activity: 336
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 10:59:19 PM

When I started using bitcoin around 5 years ago, the fee was cents and the low processing fees were the argument. Nowadays, they charge even a higher percentage than all existing fiat money processors. So it is time to add some other crypto wallets to your repertoire for sending lower amounts.
dogandogru

Activity: 481
Merit: 256

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 11:13:41 PM

BTC fees is not just abnormal but it has gone crazy. Reason for downfall of BTC will be high transaction fees with long confirmation hours. This is the reason, traditional investors has shifted to altcoins. BTC dominance also got down to only 33% today which use to be more than 50% because of this high transaction fees.
doroty

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 11:25:40 PM

Well, fees are out of control really, for 14.99 USD i have to pay transfer fee 22.19 USD, please guys, explain this???
deadmousehat

Activity: 1974
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 11:56:47 PM

yes, bitcoin is geting popular make the busy traffic, for now bitcoin is not good for low amount transaction. I don't know until when bitcoin cost like this.
Coin-1
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 2195

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 12:07:09 AM

Don't be angry. Just calm down and pay fees. Don't wait that transaction fees will be lower in the near future. The Lightning Network is just a banking outside of the blockchain of Bitcoin.
majest3

Activity: 84

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 12:08:55 AM

Sent a payment of 0.26 cents a couple of days ago cost me more than $12.00 in fee's. People think that lightening network will be the answer to our prayers,  it appears that we are being directed to that as the only solution to the current fee structure. This won't work unless each of your neighbors has at least the same value of BTC in there wallet, as you want to send. This is going to mean that hubs will have to be created with vast sums of btc in them, to make it work, looks like we are coming full circle again and back to those people that control the banking industry!!!!

DeepOnion - Tor integrated - 100% anonymous
===> Join DeepOnion Airdrop NOW! <===​  (https://deeponion.org/apply.php?ref=1620543)
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: