Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:54:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Android key rotation  (Read 66319 times)
Hawkix

Activity: 531
Merit: 505

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2013, 07:01:09 PM

Shouldn't the key rotation be performed only on private keys known to be influenced (generation, transaction signatures) by this random generator flaw? I do not want to run Blockchain on my Android to realize that it will re-send and merge (automatically .. ugh) all my savings into another address!

Donations: 1Hawkix7GHym6SM98ii5vSHHShA3FUgpV6
http://btcportal.net/ - All about Bitcoin - coming soon!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:11:32 PM
Last edit: August 12, 2013, 07:45:52 PM by apetersson

another question i have in mind is chrome, firefox, opera mobile or the native android web browser itself. suppose, i'm using one of those on my android phone or tablet, and i'm using a web-wallet like blockchain or a bitaddress generator. do these browsers also rely on this flaw in java or do they circumvent this via native C code?
i think it depends on the browser …

nobody knows. auditing this piece of code is very complex.

just think about why some TLAs were boasting about "phenomenal breakthroughs" in cryptanalysis.
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/all/1

a few months ago most of this speculation was conspiracy theory. now some of this is conspiracy fact.
seeing this kind of code audit failure/randomness failure makes me go shopping for tinfoil hats.

on my back-of the-spreadsheet envelope calculation i have estimated the "real" keyspace of SecureRandom to be very, very low.
definitely not 2^256.
edit: i don't even dare to write the number down - if the calculation is right this is too scary.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av2s7TgXTjFTdDNNZUlrb1ZPUG9EYmZGV0drZ1dWVlE#gid=0
this calculation is based on the fact that we have seen at least 1 collision of random values on android phones.
last time i did statistics was 10 years ago, so please point out any errors.

it also points out a discrepancy. if the entropy would be that low, we would see a massive amount of duplicate addresses. which are absent. i suspect the private key space is large enough - but the entropy provided at signing is too low.
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2013, 07:55:26 PM

Just wondering, would this affect Electrum as well?

http://electrum.org/android.html

From what we can gather, this issue seems to be a Java PRNG implementation issue.
Electrum should be safe from this, because it does not use Java; it uses /dev/urandom directly.
However, there might be other bugs in the Android platform, which is under overall scrutiny following this issue.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2013, 07:56:37 PM

Fixed?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 08:13:36 PM

Shouldn't the key rotation be performed only on private keys known to be influenced (generation, transaction signatures) by this random generator flaw? I do not want to run Blockchain on my Android to realize that it will re-send and merge (automatically .. ugh) all my savings into another address!

This is why it's better to have your savings in an offline/paper wallet.  Use blockchain only for the Bitcoins you're going to be using for near-term transactions.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
dwolfman

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2013, 08:28:35 PM

Could the OP be updated to include a list of apps that have been updated against this bug?  I don't want to read through the whole 8 pages to find out which apps have and have not been updated, and I'm sure it'd be helpful to other people as well.

These are the current statuses:

From http://bitcoin.org/en/alert/2013-08-11-android - they should be getting updated daily.

I'm wondering if this means they aren't updating Bitcoin Spinner?  Got my phone set up the way I want it, and this means switching yet another app out.  I don't have any bitcoins in it right now, and probably won't in the near future anyway.  Haven't sent anything from it in months, so I'm not in too big a hurry to update it.

Wanna send coins my way? 1BY2rZduB9j8Exa4158QXPFJoJ2NWU1NGf or just scan the QR code in my avatar.  :-)
Kiwi7

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 08:30:53 PM

Whoa whoa, I've just transferred all my BTC from an Android wallet to inputs.io.
apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 08:38:54 PM

I'm wondering if this means they aren't updating Bitcoin Spinner?  Got my phone set up the way I want it, and this means switching yet another app out.  I don't have any bitcoins in it right now, and probably won't in the near future anyway.  Haven't sent anything from it in months, so I'm not in too big a hurry to update it.
According to Jan, an update to bitcoinspinner was pushed to google play, will appear soon.
Roy Badami

Activity: 563
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 08:56:57 PM

This post http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2013/q3/358 mentions deterministic ECDSA signatures and references RFC 6979.

Is there any reason why Bitcoin clients shouldn't use this construction, other than perhaps the possible newness of this exact instantiation?

roy
Mike Hearn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 10:58:18 PM

That RFC was published only a few days ago. To call it "new" would be an understatement.

IMO it doesn't make much difference. We could implement it, but it would not have avoided the need to do a key rotation.
millsdmb

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 11:35:42 PM

just got the new wallet app pushed out to my phone, so everyone should have it available by now if you include the links posted a few replies up.

Hitler Finds out about the Butterfly Labs Monarch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jYNMKdv36w
Get $10 worth of BTC Free when you buy $100 worth at coinbase.com/?r=51dffa8970f85a53bd000034
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 12:40:37 AM

what do i do if my wallet address is locked onto another site and I've updated my wallet already? will it go to the old address then be transferred internally into the new one?

blockgenesis

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

Bitcoin.org maintainer

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 01:40:27 AM

According to Jan, an update to bitcoinspinner was pushed to google play, will appear soon.

It seems that the update for BitcoinSpinner is pushed to Google Play now according to the version history. I've emailed Jan to ask him to provide short instruction text to be published on bitcoin.org .

Donation: 18XXXQs1vAQGBAZbXKA322r9Zy1nZac2H4
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 03:08:50 AM

BTCy the way, my import/export keys menu options are greyed out.  What do I do?  How can I get my BTC?

rampantparanoia

Activity: 516
Merit: 283

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 03:17:50 AM

what do i do if my wallet address is locked onto another site and I've updated my wallet already? will it go to the old address then be transferred internally into the new one?

no, you need to change the address on the other site.
bitcoin protocol does not link addresses like this

thanks for the announcement & making the community aware. extra thanks to the person who found this flaw
Mike Hearn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 07:21:46 AM

actually he is right. Coins received to old insecure addresses will be automatically resent to the new address when it confirms.
Paladin69

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 10:21:07 AM

The blockchain.info wallet doesn't work if you have a secondary password so long that it needs to be pasted in.  Holding your finger on it to paste flashes the field box away.
Hawkix

Activity: 531
Merit: 505

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 10:33:20 AM

Anyone already tested blockchain.info Android wallet with "automatic key rotation"? Is the user possible to skip that step?

Donations: 1Hawkix7GHym6SM98ii5vSHHShA3FUgpV6
http://btcportal.net/ - All about Bitcoin - coming soon!
Kiwi7

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 10:49:26 AM

BTCy the way, my import/export keys menu options are greyed out.  What do I do?  How can I get my BTC?
Transfer all your BTC to an online BTCitcoin wallet, like Inputs.io or BTClockchain.info.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 12:25:54 PM

When I made my key generator for Casascius Coins, I started with the assumption that the secure random number generator could not fully be trusted.  I did it on Windows not Android so it's not at risk, but the paranoid idea I tried would have completely eliminated this problem had it been done in these wallets.

Instead of accepting the output of secure random as truly securely random, I just considered it a "good source of entropy" and XOR'd its output with another lukewarm but "extra" source of entropy: a hash of a string that gets the current time appended to it whenever the user does something (moves mouse, presses a button, etc).  Also included in the hash is a counter that increments each time entropy is read so it can never be the same twice.  (When the string grows too big, it is replaced by a hash of itself)

For my actual coin generation process, I ask the user (myself) for a third string of input: something that will also be included in the hash.  Each time, I mash the keyboard for a line or two of text e.g. weiajeflkjf;iefw;fiowjR[2348RU20389U0R9EWAEO;FIJSDF;KJVNXVDFJKG;lkdjfgosidfjaiwe --- and never record the string.

None of these methods would be "great" by themselves, but by xoring the output of all of them together, I feel well hedged against the possibility of crappy RNG's.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: