Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:33:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft Removes Bitcoin  (Read 639 times)
samsolocrypto (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 11:15:33 AM

why Microsoft Removes Bitcoin as Payment Option for Microsoft Storew?
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 11:18:00 AM

I seen this 2 days ago..

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-to-stop-accepting-bitcoin-as-payment-method-due-to-volatility

They said the reason was volatility.. just like Valve inc.

EDIT:

Oh and i recall the story way back when they removed it and added it back a day later saying it was an "accident" too.  Cheesy

FUD first & ask questions later™
Jltan

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 11:20:48 AM

All these big players, once they start to adopt bitcoin usage alot of other companies will start to follow suit. Smiley

Pre-ICO: January 4th  |  The Intelligent Blockchain  |  ICO: January 16th
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   M▲TRIX   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ANN  News  Scene  Showcase | ██  Whitepaper:  Bussines | Technical  ██ | Facebook  Twitter  Github  Telegram
RamBahadur.Gurung

Activity: 457
Merit: 262

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 11:22:45 AM

They removed it because making payments in Bitcoin was no longer viable. Who want to pay a transaction fee of $100 for purchasing a Microsoft Office Suite which costs $150? The charges levied by Visa/Master for the same is around $3 per purchase.
loaddebitcard

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 11:30:49 AM

Because US government is against cryptocurrencies. As long as Microsoft doesn't want to have problems with officials they won't take any risks. Especially risks like that: Bitcoin as a payment method is only for geeks and it's not worth keeping it just to satisfy them.
honeyira

Activity: 72

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 11:40:12 AM

One of the reason mentioned was the high cost payment. So if you have a small amount of btc you cannot use/redeem anymore.
But recently Microsoft restores btc payment after the issue of paying is resolved.
The lowest amount of btc is already ensured that it can be redeemed.
brightLIFE

Activity: 93

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 11:42:48 AM

They removed it because making payments in Bitcoin was no longer viable. Who want to pay a transaction fee of $100 for purchasing a Microsoft Office Suite which costs $150? The charges levied by Visa/Master for the same is around $3 per purchase.
It was also according to my friends the transactions for bitcoin is really expensive so that they are much more prefered not to alts coins And I think this is what I do too.
glaciercapital

Activity: 145

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 11:43:40 AM

It's pretty fair to be honest, I think they genuinely wanted to support it but it's not viable for small payments like that at this stage. Litecoin would be a solution for this at the moment.

paolo099

Activity: 224
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 11:54:16 AM

they might change their mind in the next future by adding altcoins as well or might have been also because not many were aware of this possibility and just few people bought MS products with BTC.
For sure, since they started accepting BTC they did a bad marketing, it was never advertised much, they added it and only the IT guys were aware of it, for me they should have really advertised it in a better way.
We will see what will happen in the future but as now, this is a sad news.
SyGambler
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1804

guess who's back

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 12:02:21 PM

yeah I saw that in one of youtube news videos , the youtuber mentioned that this is a temporary move
Microsoft is saying that's due volatility  , but bitcoin has always been the same when it comes to volatility since the early days

most likely it's due the long time to get confirmations , since it can be really serious when your business is  fiat based
for example when a customer makes a purchase and pays certain amount in btc , at the time that the transaction confirmed the whole value based on USD may change a lot

so the site may lose money if the price go down , or they may gain money if the price go up
Yaunfitda

Activity: 2884
Merit: 599

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 12:15:28 PM

Yes, the stop bitcoin as payment because of the same reason that everyone here is bitching about, high cost of fees and very slow confirmations. I can't imagine any companies now accepting bitcoin because of that issues. Even Steam, who have been an advent supporter of bitcoin stop its support because its not viable business wise.

However, as I understand it, Microsoft decision is only temporary. However, if the dramatic increase in the fees to process a transaction can't be answered, there will be a lot of business that will driven to make the same move as Steam and Microsoft.

I'm not aware though if they would open its doors for altcoins such as Litecoin or any other coins in general.

███████████████████████████████
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████
█████████████▀▀        ▀▀██████
██████▀▀▀▀▀▀              ▀████
██████████▀     ▄▄██▄▄     ▀███
██████████      ██████      ███
██████████▄     ▀▀██▀▀     ▄███
██████▄▄▄▄▄▄              ▄████
█████████████▄▄        ▄▄██████
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████
|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
SSC NAPOLI
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER
|.ROLLBOTS.|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████▀████████▀████▄
██████▄▄▄█████▄▄█████████
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀█████▀▀█████████
▀█████████▄████████▄████▀
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ROLLBIT COIN
TRADE RLB NOW!
|...PLAY NOW...
SCastellanos

Activity: 30

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 12:17:06 PM

I think Microsoft is the last company we want using it as a service. We want these huge companies to stay away
drakegon

Activity: 126

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 12:19:19 PM

I seen this 2 days ago..

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-to-stop-accepting-bitcoin-as-payment-method-due-to-volatility

They said the reason was volatility.. just like Valve inc.

EDIT:

Oh and i recall the story way back when they removed it and added it back a day later saying it was an "accident" too.  Cheesy

Just be patient guys, soon enough they will accept it again, when crypto currencies will have a wider adoption. Wait and see.
CoinOnTheBeach

Activity: 90

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 12:20:06 PM

I think Microsoft is the last company we want using it as a service. We want these huge companies to stay away

we do? why would we want that?
bitroxis

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 12:20:27 PM

Well, the involvement of huge companies can lead to a high increase in the demand of bitcoin and cryptocoins in general, so a rise in their value. When big companies use cryptos, this shows trust and more people can become supporters. Just sayin'...

OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3514
Merit: 6165

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 12:26:49 PM

I'm pretty sure that most of the people here now didn't even knew that they actually used to accept bitcoin as a payment method to fund your account so I don't see why anyone would care now. It's also worth mentioning that this is old news, I spoke with Microsoft support a few months back and BTC was only supported in the U.S and they told me that they are planning to remove it completely in the future.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
mOgliE
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1251

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 12:32:39 PM

Hi,

I guess there are several reasons for that.

First of all, maybe their banks has refused to take this form of payment in charge. For technical reasons for example.

Then,  I guess that the rate of change in price is way too high. Remember the story of bitcoin and the sandwich? It is still true nowadays...

Last, I think that this new form of payment was rather here to make people talk about it than to last as paymenr method. There were not ready but wanted all to think they were up-to-date with the "latest" technology.

Just another "announcement effect"...

Raymonds

Activity: 12

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 12:39:08 PM

Because bitcoin is no longer suitable for small payments, and the cost of bitcoin is around $10, how can it be used as a micropayment?
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 12:39:19 PM

Huh, I thought they re-enabled Bitcoin payments again? I must admit that they're changing it back and forth so fast that it's a bit difficult to follow...
Just read this article about an hour ago: https://www.coindesk.com/microsoft-resumes-bitcoin-payments-after-halt-over-instability/

Why? I think it's a good thing that large corporations are beginning to accept Bitcoin. Can't have mass adoption if Bitcoin isn't accepted as a payment method on a large scale.

13abyknight

Activity: 602
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 12:50:10 PM

Pretty much expected from big corporates to slowly remove Bitcoin as a payment option because of all the problems that has been hindering it lately. This move comes after Steam decided to stop accepting Bitcoin.
Firstly, the transaction fees is unbearably high making it unviable for adding small amount of funds. Secondly, the price fluctuation on a daily basis is pretty big making it unstable. Lastly, volatility concerns been raised.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: