Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2024, 10:43:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [PSA] B3 modules are NOT compatible with B1/B2  (Read 1490 times)
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2013, 10:42:56 AM

The boards connecting the individual cards to the cables have a new design which does not fit with original modules. See below pic. Additionally, the mounting screws and spacing are different on B3 modules.

*note I've just ghetto mounted the 4th B3 module for now, its not [and cant be] screwed into the case. Rotating it is the only way to get it to fit.

Shitty camera is shitty. B2 3 module with a B3 module

AdamKD

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 12:12:27 PM

When you state "not compatible" you imply that they aren't electronically and/or physically compatible.  They're just not physically compatible ...

Before connecting them electronically did you check if they are electronically compatible or did you do the "close your eyes and pray" type of deal?
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2013, 01:56:41 PM

When you state "not compatible" you imply that they aren't electronically and/or physically compatible.  They're just not physically compatible ...

Before connecting them electronically did you check if they are electronically compatible or did you do the "close your eyes and pray" type of deal?

That was such a tard comment. Anyway, physical incompatibility is incompatible. You can't put B3 modules in a B2 unit.

Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 03:05:09 PM

Sounds like a drill press applied to the bottom panel could solve this.

Do the new modules use more, longer, and thicker screws (I hope)?

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2013, 03:15:02 PM

Sounds like a drill press applied to the bottom panel could solve this.

Do the new modules use more, longer, and thicker screws (I hope)?

The only slot you can put a B3 in is the bottom, and then yes you'd have to drill it. You'd also have to drill new holes with the new spacings. IIRC there is one less mounting screw, same screws but with different spacings.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 08:10:33 AM

Final bump for visibility

Milan77

Activity: 202
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 08:51:03 AM

This is useful information, TY.
erem

Activity: 128

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 08:56:58 AM

Interesting  Roll Eyes

dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 09:52:23 AM

That was such a tard comment. Anyway, physical incompatibility is incompatible. You can't put B3 modules in a B2 unit.

Yet, you just did!

(Thanks for sharing though.)
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 09:54:29 AM

Thanks for the heads up. Smiley

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
rograz

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 11:04:27 AM

Hmm interesting, the batch 3 (3 module) I received a few days ago has the B2 style modules.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 01:36:03 PM

Hmm interesting, the batch 3 (3 module) I received a few days ago has the B2 style modules.

Yes that's not a true B3 though. The unit I'm showing you IS actually a B3, but its a B2 style.

There are:
B1
B2
B3 (old B2)
True B3.

True B3 modules aren't compatible with B2/old B2.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 01:36:53 PM

Yet, you just did!

(Thanks for sharing though.)
The module is lose in the case and can't be moved. Cooling is compromised, and its at risk of getting shorted. You can only physically fit 1 module in as well, you could have 2/2.

iANDROID

Activity: 182

Swiss Money all around me!

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 01:37:39 PM

When you will get ROI, buy a camera please.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 01:40:27 PM

When you will get ROI, buy a camera please.
My main phone is being replaced, this is an old N1 with a crazy ROM that breaks camera.

trigeek

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 03:18:33 PM

Whoa dogie, down boy.  That's exactly how your title reads.  It's exactly how everyone uses "incompatible" when talking about computer gear.  "Incompatible" means to me that there is no way to get it to work. 

On top of that you say you can't put them in a B2 unit, but you show a B2 unit with a B3 board in it? Wat?  You clearly "put it in", whether or not you mounted it is another question.

# HashStrike $ Mining Pools -- Ruby -- Karma -- Mint -- Leaf -- Zeit -- Syn
** Low Fees ** Awesome support ** Super stable **

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4116
Merit: 1635

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 03:21:09 PM

Mixing them would confuse the software temperature targets of the different modules too since B3 modules read 20 degrees higher due to being closer to the chip.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
AdamKD

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 03:32:32 PM

Whoa dogie, down boy.  That's exactly how your title reads.  It's exactly how everyone uses "incompatible" when talking about computer gear.  "Incompatible" means to me that there is no way to get it to work.  

On top of that you say you can't put them in a B2 unit, but you show a B2 unit with a B3 board in it? Wat?  You clearly "put it in", whether or not you mounted it is another question.

+1

Mixing them would confuse the software temperature targets of the different modules too since B3 modules read 20 degrees higher due to being closer to the chip.

Would this matter?  It's possible that B3 bitstream is optimized for B3 temps (Atleast for the open sourced hardware solution).  Though wouldn't that just make the fans run faster for that 'sensor'?

From my understanding the temp sensors are aligned 1:1 with regards to the fans.  If a higher temp is read in the lower module the higher temp would make that fan go faster?  Therefore, possibly making the issue a non issue?  Just guessing and haven't checked.  This assumes the same temp sensors are being used (and based on pictures it appears the same ones are used).
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 03:41:54 PM

Yep. In my case there are no probes on the 4th module so its scaling off the others.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 03:43:41 PM

Whoa dogie, down boy.  That's exactly how your title reads.  It's exactly how everyone uses "incompatible" when talking about computer gear.  "Incompatible" means to me that there is no way to get it to work. 

On top of that you say you can't put them in a B2 unit, but you show a B2 unit with a B3 board in it? Wat?  You clearly "put it in", whether or not you mounted it is another question.

+1

Would this matter?  It's possible that B3 bitstream is optimized for B3 temps (Atleast for the open sourced hardware solution).  Though wouldn't that just make the fans run faster for that 'sensor'?

From my understanding the temp sensors are aligned 1:1 with regards to the fans.  If a higher temp is read in the lower module the higher temp would make that fan go faster?  Therefore, possibly making the issue a non issue?  Just guessing and haven't checked.  This assumes the same temp sensors are being used (and based on pictures it appears the same ones are used).

1) You can only have 1 B3 module fit inside
2) It must be rotated
3) It can not be screwed in
4) It is vulnerable to being shorted
5) It receives reduced cooling
6) Case must be on its 'back'
7) Case can not be moved

It is a temporary solution to my 'pure' B3 arrives and it can live in there.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: