Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 03:19:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is asset, not currency.  (Read 596 times)
Vaculin

Activity: 2912
Merit: 613

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 09:13:47 AM

Bitcoin  is an asset that yield interest and at the same time use as a medium  of exchange  and remittance. Bitcoin serve as a currency like dollars, yen or pounds.
Definitely it's an asset or whatever you define it but it does not earn interest as the price increase is not consistent.
This is also money as you can spend it anytime and anywhere who accepted bitcoin but the value will fluctuate as that is the nature of bitcoin.
Whatever you think about bitcoin that would be depending on your purpose and for it's an assets as I consider it an investment.
cen212687

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 09:26:39 AM

Yes it is more of an asset, but still a type of currency just not in a literal meaning of a currency that most people knew, that is the reason why we called it cryptocurrency. Coming from the word currency, which we used technically for buying online or paying online. We never know, bitcoin might soon be the future currency that we are going to use. So do not say that it is not a currency.
Dapper

Activity: 560
Merit: 260

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 09:27:26 AM

It's most certainly both.

sent from my X6
Lintel

Activity: 638
Merit: 300

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 09:39:57 AM

National Bank of Israel officially announced that the Bitcoin is not currency but asset. I think that most countries will follow the example. what do you think?

For me it depends on how you use it. For it could be both the same. Asset and currency. I would say it us an asset because it can be pur investment. If we invest in it and keep holding it for a long period of time it can be called asset. But if we can encash our bitcoin right away and use it for oyr daily expenses I consider it as currency . But again it is only my opinion. Either way it helps us a lot and thankful I am here in bitcoin.
kunalqwe

Activity: 46

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 09:44:52 AM

bitcoin is vertual currency with high value but some investors buying bitcoin as an assets for future profit because of rising value of bitcoins.
qwerty12

Activity: 313
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 09:51:00 AM

National Bank of Israel officially announced that the Bitcoin is not currency but asset. I think that most countries will follow the example. what do you think?

Yes.. I think most countries call it that way.
governments and central banks in various countries say that bitcoin is more accurately called investment assets in digital form. Governments always say, bitcoin is not currency, and will not be able to replace the convensial money.
However, I am sure we all agree that, bitcoin is an asset and a currency. because bitcoin can be made as a medium of exchange in the payment system.
Carlsen

Activity: 910
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 09:57:23 AM

governments and central banks in various countries say that bitcoin is more accurately called investment assets in digital form. Governments always say, bitcoin is not currency, and will not be able to replace the convensial money.
However, I am sure we all agree that, bitcoin is an asset and a currency. because bitcoin can be made as a means of exchange in the payment system.

I think that the most important thing about a classification of bitcoin by a government is that it leads to the way how bitcoin will be taxed by that nation.
Assets and currencies are often taxed in different ways.
When I look at the definition of currency as a medium of exchange, I believe that most countries will define bitcoin as an asset in the future.

It's me!!!
Bezobraznike

Activity: 1274
Merit: 261

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 09:58:11 AM

However, I am sure we all agree that, bitcoin is an asset and a currency. because bitcoin can be made as medium exchange in the payment system.

They call it like that cause it is how they plan to regulate it. Asset is
one thing, but if they allow Bitcoin to be currency in their state they will
have a lot of problems in the beginning.
   Bitcoin needs to squeeze out traditional currencies and that will not be
easy task. Powerful people control the world with money, and they will not
give that power to other people without a fight.
   Now Bitcoin is an asset, tomorrow it is a currency. It is how things are
going, changing shapes from one to another as we grow.

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
virendarnagpal

Activity: 672
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 10:08:01 AM

Money is invested in asset with the objective of gaining profits as a result of price rise and earn money with the appreciation of it.  Most of the people are investing in bitcoin with this purpose because they expect that rise in the prices of bitcoin will as a result earn profits for them.  If someone keeps currency notes with him we can not expect that after few years or months we will gain something but opposite to it we will loss a part of value of money due to inflation i.e. rise in the price of goods; commodities and  services which we can buy presently with a certain amount of currency notes but after period of time say one year due to inflation the prices of all the commodities mostly will rise and we will be able to buy lesser quantity of commodities than we can purchase today.  So if we compare bitcoin and currency with above point; we may say that bitcoin is asset not currency.

But it is not true; in addition to the bitcoin being an asset it is also currency because many people are making and  receiving payments by bitcoin.  They are buying or selling goods and in exchange as a value of commodities bought or purchased they are accepting bitcoin as currency.   So we can say bitcoin is both an asset as well as currency; but it is also true that most of the people presently will not accept bitcoin as currency because of their ignorance; lack of knowledge.  
Silent26

Activity: 602
Merit: 326

Politeness: 1227: - 0 / +1

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 10:20:15 AM

To me Bitcoin is both currency and asset.
If we take it as a currency then it is easy to trade. Bitcoin can easily be transferred from one place to another. On the other hand if we take as asset then it's value is rising day by day. So, as an asset it is a good one. So to me Bitcoin is both
Interesting, I think you're right its both asset and currency. Actually bitcoin is a currency but some people consider it as asset which is right too. We cant blame them for treating bitcoin as asset, let them be because thats the way they look at it and there is no problem at all.
But i have read an article that says bitcoin really is asset. Because Bitcoin's price is unstable, they say that it cannot be a currency.
"Is Bitcoin the currency of the future? No. There are two big problems with bitcoin as a currency: its value is unstable and its transaction processing is too slow." From www.Forbes.com you can check the article here https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffreydorfman/2017/05/17/bitcoin-is-an-asset-not-a-currency/amp/

404 Not Found
12tribes

Activity: 378
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 10:22:07 AM

No. If the country's regulation want to see it that way then that's theirs to call. But whatever is an asset appreciates in value and so can be exchanged for liquid cash more or les.

Shrihari

Activity: 23

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 10:51:50 AM

It's atleast better than banning crypto.
Advicerabi

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 10:56:15 AM

Everyone has his own opinion and this time I'm consider bitcoin as an asset not currency. In my country the Government not allowed bitcoin for use as a means of payment, our Government is very sensitive with this problem, they fear bitcoin will disrupt the circulation of fiat money, so I mostly use the bitcoin as investments.

bitfocus

Activity: 532
Merit: 15

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 11:11:36 AM

That's because people are using Bitcoin as Asset and the scope of using Bitcoin is kinda limited due to high transaction fees and time, as several platforms are trying to make the faster and minimize the transaction fees, I guess bitcoin will return to its true destiny soon - as a currency.
Wittycoin

Activity: 696
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 11:17:45 AM

For me I think bitcoin really is an asset because most people who do bitcoin uses it for trading or investing not to buy goods.
Janation

Activity: 1722
Merit: 528

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 11:20:54 AM

That's because people are using Bitcoin as Asset and the scope of using Bitcoin is kinda limited due to high transaction fees and time, as several platforms are trying to make the faster and minimize the transaction fees, I guess bitcoin will return to its true destiny soon - as a currency.

Bitcoin is not a currency because it is an asset. Asset because it gives profit or income to people in time. As said by Wikipedia An asset is an economic resource. Anything tangible or intangible that can be owned or controlled to produce value and that is held by a company to produce positive economic value is an asset while a currency is a system of money (monetary units) in common use, especially in a nation(Wikipedia). From these words I think it is enough that it is more of an asset than a currency.
Stimah23

Activity: 186

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 11:25:07 AM

Bitcoin is an asset and also serve as currency, so far it is sometimes use for exchange of good things across the world, I remember a university accepting coin as tuition fees, so therefore, its also a currency.
Zainal_Abidin

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

Tetap semangat

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 11:29:27 AM

It is a currency generally because anything that uses for paying some goods or services can be treated as a currency because it is used as way of buying or selling things. Someone who is holding bitcoin and is happy to have it's an asset for him, such as antiques, So I think that this will not make much difference compared to the present.
weblouartisan

Activity: 448
Merit: 100

Lets Go Adab

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 11:35:24 AM

Bitcoin has different definition depending on the peoples perspective but in my own opinion, bitcoins should be treat as a currency because we can buy goods through cryptocurrency. The only reason i think why they treat btc as an asset is because, governments are afraid that cashless country will be implemented and they will having a hard time to steal money from different people.

captin crunch

Activity: 630
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 11:35:39 AM

It's most certainly both.

Yes, I also tend to think that it has futures of both of them.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: