Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:35:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-08-12 Politico: Congress starts looking into Bitcoin  (Read 1675 times)
Arvicco (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

Please bear with me

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 04:51:01 AM

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/08/congress-starts-looking-into-bitcoin-95464.html?hp=l3

The Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee on Monday sent letters to several agencies requesting that they disclose their virtual currency policies, how they developed them, how agencies are coordinating and finally what they plan to do going forward.

“The more folks that we talked to related to this issue, it became very clear to us that this is not a sort of technology that’s going away,” a committee aide said. “This isn’t something that’s a flash in the pan. It’s something that’s going to be with us.”

Now, this is interesting. Looks like initial arrogant attitude among politicos "this ridiculous thing is going to die off soon" is slowly developing into something like "this stuff might be for real, now how do we control it?".

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 05:04:51 AM

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/08/congress-starts-looking-into-bitcoin-95464.html?hp=l3

The Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee on Monday sent letters to several agencies requesting that they disclose their virtual currency policies, how they developed them, how agencies are coordinating and finally what they plan to do going forward.

“The more folks that we talked to related to this issue, it became very clear to us that this is not a sort of technology that’s going away,” a committee aide said. “This isn’t something that’s a flash in the pan. It’s something that’s going to be with us.”

Now, this is interesting. Looks like initial arrogant attitude among politicos "this ridiculous thing is going to die off soon" is slowly developing into something like "this stuff might be for real, now how do we control it?".

I believe that the Senators need to be educated on how they can benefit via Bitcoin before they act, i.e. payola.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 09:37:38 AM

I believe that the Senators need to be educated on how they can benefit via Bitcoin before they act, i.e. payola.

AHA! Idea for website..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

** Political Campaign Direct Donations **

Politician name 1 :  Bitcoin address 1
Politician name 2 :  Bitcoin address 2
Politician name 3 :  Bitcoin address 3
Politician name 4 :  Bitcoin address 4

Get your money direct to the politician YOU support!
You the voter are encouraged to donate to the politician of your choice with bitcoins
This saves intermediary banking/card fees and gets your politician 2% more cash in their pocket to fund their worthy campaign!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get this up and running for the 2014 Senatorial elections.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_elections,_2014

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

This is great! Hopefully they can develop guidelines that we as a community can get behind.

You are joking right?

Satoshi developed all the guidelines we need to get behind.

If you don't agree with them perhaps you are playing in the wrong game?

kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 12:47:10 PM

This is great! Hopefully they can develop guidelines that we as a community can get behind.

You are joking right?

Satoshi developed all the guidelines we need to get behind.

If you don't agree with them perhaps you are playing in the wrong game?

I agree the comment was laughable, b/c I doubt the Senate is going to represent the interests of this community point for point; however, I don't think Gweedo was saying he didn't agree with Satoshi's guidelines... just saying that he was hoping the Senate comes up with additional guidelines that we can all get behind.

I'm not sure Satoshi fully thought through every application of this project... I'm pretty sure that was by design.  Satoshi wanted this project to grow and find new applications for itself which requires additional thought and establishment of process for how to implement those new applications and ideas.

Growth is good, organized growth is better.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 01:10:03 PM

All the evidence from economic history shows that to be wrong ... most centrally planned "growth" endeavours are epic failures.

The only one rule the Senate could possibly put in place that would be better is "Do not touch Bitcoin" ... anything else will be a hindrance, a perversion, a compromise, a vested-interest loophole-riddled bastardisation ... so that is what I'm fully expecting (mainly because most people think, erroneously, like you do).

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 02:25:01 PM

The article includes a link supposedly to the letter by Tom Carper (committee chair) and Tom Coburn.   But that link just goes to another Politico URL, which requires login I believe.

Does anyone have a link to the letter?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 02:56:17 PM

The commenters at the site seem to "get it" so far. Erik set the tone:

" erikvoorhees
• 9 hours ago

I wonder what Washington will do when they realize that Bitcoin is not actually a US phenomenon, and that by its very nature, it cannot be controlled. It is absolutely the most important invention since the internet itself, if you care about individual liberty, privacy, and the ability to avoid monetary debasement."

One commenter "gets it" but only part way (bolding mine):

"... Doesn't that sound like a Beltway talking head? The only opinions that count are California and New York. News flash time, dude: the country is a he11uva lot bigger than that"

westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 03:06:50 PM

All the evidence from economic history shows that to be wrong ... most centrally planned "growth" endeavours are epic failures.

The only one rule the Senate could possibly put in place that would be better is "Do not touch Bitcoin" ... anything else will be a hindrance, a perversion, a compromise, a vested-interest loophole-riddled bastardisation ... so that is what I'm fully expecting (mainly because most people think, erroneously, like you do).

+1

We need less regulation and control, not more, over the U.S. economy, and really all economies in general.

And to help out those who don't quite get it, it needs to be made quite clear to all involved that "We're not regulating or controlling anything here. Other than prosecuting actual crimes, you're on your own, so you'd better act like it." Of course, the supposed protections are at best laughable as it currently stands, but it's amazing the number of people who are convinced that the feds really are looking out for them.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Arvicco (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

Please bear with me

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 07:49:53 PM

Picked up by:

Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/08/13/congress-starts-investigating-bitcoin/
Reuters: http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/08/13/usa-senate-bitcoin-idINL2N0GE10K20130813
TheHill: http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/316859-senate-panel-investigates-bitcoin

HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 09:15:43 PM

The only feasible way at this point for a government to gain somewhat control would be to start buying as much as possible while prices are still relatively low.  A 51% attack would be extremely costly and likey a failure.  Gaining market share is the only way any entity can position themselves to take advantage of the upcoming economic changes.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 09:24:07 PM

The only feasible way at this point for a government to gain somewhat control would be to start buying as much as possible while prices are still relatively low.  A 51% attack would be extremely costly and likey a failure.  Gaining market share is the only way any entity can position themselves to take advantage of the upcoming economic changes.

The Government could tax it or accept it as alternative payment of tax. Any improvements of the Bitcoin economy or, more precise, lower prices relative to Bitcoin, would also benefit the Government as holder of Bitcoins.

Reality however dictates that a Government using and holding Bitcoin is basically screaming that its own debt notes (treasuries) are suspect. Therefore, I do not see a Government acquiring Bitcoin very soon. First, the old system must come under pressure.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 10:39:26 PM

Before anyone trumpets the benefits of Senate making up rules about bitcoin you need to ask yourself this ....

"Is there a Senator that you would allow to administer your computer system that holds bitcoins?"

And then think through the ramifications of the inevitable answer to that ....

HeliKopterBen

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 12:25:02 AM

The Government could tax it or accept it as alternative payment of tax. Any improvements of the Bitcoin economy or, more precise, lower prices relative to Bitcoin, would also benefit the Government as holder of Bitcoins.

Reality however dictates that a Government using and holding Bitcoin is basically screaming that its own debt notes (treasuries) are suspect. Therefore, I do not see a Government acquiring Bitcoin very soon. First, the old system must come under pressure.

Agreed but I don't think attempting to tax bitcoin transactions would generate enough revenue denominated in bitcoin, especially in the event of a substantial price increase.  Their best bet would be to try to corner the market before someone else does and with a 1.5 billion $ market they have the funds (or can print the funds) to gain a substantial share.  However, the government never thinks outside of the box. 

Eventually, it is not bitcoin that will have to comply with government, but government that will have to comply with bitcoin.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 03:28:14 AM

They probably just want some plebe aide to do all the legwork and get them up to speed with how they get their kickbacks and bribes in the new internet anonymonies .. then they can go on SR and get wild with hookers and blow like they used to ...

bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 04:43:35 AM

Power. Power is addictive.
2dogs
Legendary

Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 07:21:40 AM

In the meantime, price is being affected...positively!
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 12:41:07 AM

Their best bet would be to try to corner the market before someone else does and with a 1.5 billion $ market they have the funds (or can print the funds) to gain a substantial share.

Though the value of bitcoin at the current exchange rate multiplied by the ~11.3 million BTC issued to-day equals some number a little over $1 billion, that is not what the cost would be to acquire "a substantial share".  Nobody knows where the exchange rate would end up if another round of heavy buying were to be attempted.

But what benefit do you see they would gain from buying lots of coins?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 01:05:46 AM

I've made a post in "Discussions" that was spurred by all this renewed interest in Bitcoin and controlling/regulating it.

Please read:

Future Proofing - Mesh Networking As Insurance Against ISP Attack

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=274018.0

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
HeliKopterBen

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 03:14:09 AM

Their best bet would be to try to corner the market before someone else does and with a 1.5 billion $ market they have the funds (or can print the funds) to gain a substantial share.

Though the value of bitcoin at the current exchange rate multiplied by the ~11.3 million BTC issued to-day equals some number a little over $1 billion, that is not what the cost would be to acquire "a substantial share".  Nobody knows where the exchange rate would end up if another round of heavy buying were to be attempted.

But what benefit do you see they would gain from buying lots of coins?

I dont see much benefit other than frontrunning a substantial worldwide wealth transfer and amassing their peice of the pie while prices are still relatively cheap. That is all anyone can do.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: