Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 04:50:06 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [CENSORSHIP] Matthew N. Wright  (Read 16361 times)
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2013, 11:47:27 PM

Today Viceroy was banned from the forums because he challenged the forums largest advertiser, BFL.

The admins clearly favor ad dollars over free speech.

Is this correct?

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 12:29:39 AM

Today Viceroy was banned from the forums because he challenged the forums largest advertiser, BFL.

The admins clearly favor ad dollars over free speech.

Is this correct?

Orrrr he could have been banned for spamming. Also Theymos isn't the only one with the ban hammer. What if it was a global mod who banned him, or a regular mod who requested he be banned who has no access to those tainted ad dollars? For that matter, I'm confused why people keep bringing up the ad revenue as Theymos' "source of corruption". The forum's wallet is public, and you can see that those ad BTC aren't being spent, wouldn't he need to be benefiting from BFL's advertising payments in order for it to be corrupting him? Approximately 25% of the forum's ad revenue is split between the forum's 36+ Staff members. Looking at the last ad auction, had Inaba not bid, the person who would have got his spot bid .75 BTC less per spot than him. That x 3 slots = 2.5 BTC less that the Ad auction would have raised, had Inaba not recieved any slots. 25% of that would have been used for Mod Payments, split at least 36 ways. Do you really think that Theymos is being corrupted by the extra .017 BTC that Josh's ad purchase gave him? Something just doesn't add up on that front.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 12:32:27 AM

Also Theymos isn't the only one with the ban hammer.

Not true at all! If you look at John K's profile he when from a global mod to Administrator https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=31288 which would mean he can ban people as well! Since Theymos has the same position!

Don't Spread lies mod to cover up for other people/your boss!
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 12:37:43 AM

Not true at all! If you look at John K's profile he when from a global mod to Administrator https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=31288 which would mean he can ban people as well! Since Theymos has the same position!

JohnK, Theymos, Badbear, Maged, MoonShadow, and Psy can all ban people. I'm not sure what your point is in quoting that Theymos isn't the only one with the ban hammer, and then telling me John K can as well, when thats exactly what I said.

I'm not going to spread lies to "protect my boss" I just personally like the guy. However, I will speak my mind if it means allowing people to see things differently, because right now, this is insanity. If someone breaks 100 rules, but is fighting for one thing, as soon as they get disiplined, it was 100% unwarranted, and the mobs assemble in the streets.
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 12:41:16 AM

JohnK, Theymos, Badbear, Maged, MoonShadow, and Psy can all ban people. I'm not sure what your point is in quoting that Theymos isn't the only one with the ban hammer, and then telling me John K can as well, when thats exactly what I said.

No it sounded like you were pawning off that these people can Ban people without talking to the higher ups, but in theory we have two admins now. So they are really the only people that should be with the IP banning. Am I not correct?
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 12:45:32 AM

No it sounded like you were pawning off that these people can Ban people without talking to the higher ups, but in theory we have two admins now. So they are really the only people that should be with the IP banning. Am I not correct?

Well yes and no, Global Mods are allowed to ban people without talking to the Admins, although normally only on clear cut cases, and I'm not sure if they are allowed to IP ban or not. But anyway, who said anything about IP banning, Viceroy is banned for a week for spamming, its not a permaban or IP ban.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Merit: 1042

Death to enemies!

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 01:15:10 AM

And Inaba is free to post his bullshit for whole year. Now who is right about BFL being scam and who is jealous for not ordering his ASIC? Mathew made some very bad moves and is a general jerk but he makes useful posts from time to time.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 02:34:47 AM

I'm confused, you seem angry yet to be agreeing with what Salty said?
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 02:46:47 AM

I'm confused, you seem angry yet to be agreeing with what Salty said?

yes I can see that I didn't spell out my angle that well. What I was trying to get at, is that Theymos is the end all be all and now John is another end all be all of the banning. I don't that you or salty could make a ban on Matthew or anyone like that without talking to someone higher up. Salty's comment sounded like that all mods act independently and that isn't true.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 09:06:58 AM

Did you even read what you quoted? WTF...
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2013, 11:15:04 AM

...okay, even I have to say WAT right here.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1128

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2013, 11:45:06 AM

Only surprising thing I see is that people are still reading gweedo's posts, his ignore button is highlighted for a reason.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
whiskers75

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

Doesn't use these forums that often.

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 12:40:03 PM

...okay, even I have to say WAT right here.
wat ._.

Also, he did say other people as well as "your boss" but enough off topic.

Elastic.pw Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 12:58:35 PM
Last edit: August 27, 2013, 09:40:27 PM by psy

Only surprising thing I see is that people are still reading gweedo's posts, his ignore button is highlighted for a reason.

Does an highlighted ignore button mean the user is a dumbfuck who can't read or that a user shouldn't be called out on the nonsense he writes? Most of the ignores are from persons who have trouble dealing with reality. A lousy metric, I tell you.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 01:01:42 PM

Does an highlighted ignore button  mean the user is a dumbfuck who can't read or that a user shouldn't be called out on the nonsense he writes? Most of the ignores are from persons who have trouble dealing weigh reality. A lousy metric, I tell you.

I think you may be a bit biased  Wink

Signature space available for rent.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 01:13:30 PM

Does an highlighted ignore button  mean the user is a dumbfuck who can't read or that a user shouldn't be called out on the nonsense he writes? Most of the ignores are from persons who have trouble dealing weigh reality. A lousy metric, I tell you.

I think you may be a bit biased  Wink

I think you may be a bit mistaken Wink
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 07:00:10 PM

LMAO this made me laugh so hard, considering I add so much to the community, people enjoy what I say. I get PMs everyday saying how I actually made this community better and my opinions mean a lot. Also if you read my post about the community or about bitcoin I am almost dead on for everything I say. Also I only got an ignore highlighted button cause I said the foundation was going to do nothing and hurt the community. I was right, but no one wants to give me credit for being that smart, but I will give myself the credit. But as go on and say what I want, if your opinion isn't that of bitcoin community majority you all attack it is really great and actually I have gotten so many pms from people actually scared to voice their opinion but have the same opinion as me. They call me a hero as I don't care about the popular contest of the ignore button.

Yes that day I had no sleep, probably not wise to post, as I am working on a startup currently, something you probably don't know a lot about and made a post that didn't express my opinion very well. I actually wrote what I meant to come out, a couple of post later. Now I could delete that post, but I don't do that, cause even my mistakes are part of my opinions and I would never delete one of my opinions.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 10:26:56 PM

And Inaba is free to post his bullshit for whole year. Now who is right about BFL being scam and who is jealous for not ordering his ASIC? Mathew made some very bad moves and is a general jerk but he makes useful posts from time to time.

Yep, that is an issue imo. However, if you read through Inaba's posts, a good portion of them are inflamatory, however, in response to another inflamatory comments. So the question becomes, whos more at fault, the angry customers, or the angry company representive. In a real business world, it wouldn't be tolerated, people would stop buying that company's products and that would be the end of it. However, that doesn't seem to apply here. What the community needs to stop doing however, which has been getting very very irritating, is provoking a response from someone, and then playing innocent and trying to use that person's response as damning evidence. I agree that Josh is an ass, but that doesn't give people the right to ask smartass questions of him, and then expect a calm response. He is posting bullshit in response to bullshit. There are exceptions of course, people asking actual questions, but there are also replies from Josh that are actual answers to those questions. In Matthew's case, I'm sure there was some more stuff going on behind the scenes, people aren't just banned for messing with a poll.

My solution would be to penalize everyone involved, the provoking and the responding party to the provokation, however, then we really do get into censorship and to what extent is Ok. Normally, if someone is having a spat with someone else, I'd forgive them as long as the heated words are flying from both directions, however, its been a nonstop spat for the last year, there is no progress to be made anymore by trying to further prove that BFL is or isn't a scam. There is enough info on both sides to write a book *starts writting* so starting new threads every 10 minutes isn't helping, its just spamming.

Back to the matter at hand, I find it somewhat ironic, that people are throwing the censorship flag, yet at the same time demanding that BFL's Ads be removed and Inaba censored. In a completely uncensored enviornment, wouldn't everyone be free to spam each other with Ads, Malware, hateful comments, people's personal information, and useless walls of text about making the perfect breakfast in a thread about recieving mining help? The fact of the matter is, the forums has a very very strict no censorship policy, and the only people who are banned or censored are those who abuse the rights of others to speak freely and read freely. If someone's asic device isn't working, and that person has to sift through 30 pages of pancake recipies to get to help, there is something wrong, and its time to start censoring.

What irritates me further, is people claiming misconduct on Theymos' part, especially when he isn't involved in half of it, or when it just doesn't make sense. He is not my boss, I am not covering for him, but for example, had I compiled together 10 posts from MNW that were all spam and troll posts, theoretically, I could ask a global mod, or more likely Theymos or John K to ban them. Would that be Theymos' fault? I explained a few posts ago, that unless Theymos decided that BFL's additional .017 BTC per week in ad revenue was enough to pay him off, the conspiracy theories as to why BFL is still allowed to purchase ads here are rediculous. Perhaps the Ads are still allowed here, because people have seen the hundreds of threads, and can judge for themselves whether or not they want to order from BFL. Perhaps Theymos doesn't feel the need to insult your intelligence by filtering out all unpleasantries and things that you need to think about for yourself.

also, I enjoy Gweedo's posts, for the most part he doesn't seem to be an annoying extremist who refuses to read anyone else's comments, so I don't mind reading his comments, even if they are critisms. No need to harrass him for a poorly worded sentence which he clarified a post later.
Mabsark
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 07:32:13 AM

This is complete and utter bullshit and just paints all you mods who are trying to White Knight for Theymos as scummy sycophants. You can't ban someone for trolling and leave Crumbs to post. That proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the ban is not for trolling, which makes the ban for personal reasons.

I don't know why anyone is surprised by this though. This is just libertarians showing their true colours. What part of money = power do people not understand about that horrible philosophy?
jcpham

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

Your Argument is Irrelephant

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 01:59:44 PM

troll checking in here. swooping down from reddit (or is it up). first login since this forum got took for another cosbycoin ride.

this place is toxic and it's funny that the mnw show continues.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: