Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 06:25:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [XPM] Why Primecoin is Useless, Doomed to Fail?  (Read 13664 times)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2013, 07:11:20 PM

Primecoin is useful as more than just a currency though, as said before, hobbyists will still use it even after the pump and dumpers have left.
+1

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Dumbo

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 10:26:08 PM

eCoinomist, I agree with you XPM is pretty useless and that there is no point in keeping them. In fact, you are rather delusional if you hold on to it.

I suggest you transfer all your useless coins (which is about 90% more than most primecoin miners have mined) to this address: ATQLWspVWZBixhzhHqXnP8JWbMbjgHQ9z5

versificateur

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 10:26:41 PM

Again, I must say that your whole theory relies on steady demand for Bitcoin, PPC and XPM alike.

You have not taken into account disruptive technologies, such as Decrits (which is for pure example only - unlikely to ever realize) or eMunie (still in beta, but close to initial launch) that will take over the whole Bitcoin niche (which to date only has about 200K users, max).

In two years from now, Bitcoin has a very high chance of becoming "history" when it comes to functioning as a currency, and may only be used as a store of value by then (a commodity), because new things like eMunie will be able to process transactions in seconds, not minutes - so while not designed to be a "commodity" - it's function is very clear - to be used as a currency and it suppose to do that better than what Visa has already accomplished.

I'm sure Satoshi was very clear about where he wanted to see Bitcoin going over the long term - to function as a commodity and a stepping stone towards decentralized currency revolution - and that is what eMunie is NOT designed to replace (but who knows, maybe someone else will create something better than Bitcoin in the future to be used as Digital Gold!).

That's why I see no future for Primecoin, nor PPCoin, because you don't seem to have planned out a clear direction of where you want to see your coin heading in the long term.

Both Primecoin and PPcoin are lost in between being a "currency" and a "commodity" - but do a horrible job of both...

I didn't want to talk on this, but at this point there is no other choice. You don't understand economics, you don't understand computer science that's pretty clear now.

First what is a currency ?
You seem to like VISA business model, but VISA is not a currency, it's a DEBT ISSUER company, just like a bank but without fiat money issuing power (not regulated by fed, ecb, boe, boj...). So if eMunie is a Visa-like scheme it's doomed to fail. Visa/Mastercarcd&co process transactions in few seconds so you're not doing something new, and unlike eMunie, people trust them, they're in business since a while and you know what ? economics and particularly money is about trust.
A currency is a mean of exchange, primecoin can be exchanged
A currency is unit of account, you can basically value anything you want in primecoin, even if his "market cap" (it's better to talk about money supply) isn't large enough to let you buy anything you want
A currency is store of value, that's definitely the most important when it comes to cryptocurrencies, bitcoin included and that's also why regulators want to step in. am I gonna lose my money if I invest in bitcoin/primecoin/whatevercoin. So As long as primecoin keep/increase/manage his value, it's a valid store of value.

You talk about commodities. A commodity is simply anything that can be freely traded so even USD/EUR/JPY are commodities traded on Forex markets. The only difference compared to nature-based commodities is simply Ben Bernanke & co playing roles of "mother nature" for the sake of all of us. You seem to mingle scarcity and commodities.

Now i'll tell you why Primecoin is the best alternative/complement to bitcoin :
-It's fast enough for online transaction. One minute is an acceptable tradeoff for e-commerce. But bitcoin is fine too if you add a layer that can indicate that buyer BTC address has enough funds; nevertheless a fast coin increase Velocity of money and therefore is definitely a plus.
-It can never be merge mined with Bitcoin. So they are two different currencies just as Gold and Silver were.
-It's not a capped coin. Therefore it's still share some characteristics of current fiat money. Continuous supply should stabilize value of XPM and discourage hoarding as value doesn't increase with time. Basically it's like a pure neutral money. World GDP has increased over time (think about before J.C and now), so it's safe to assume a little inflated money to expand innovation and growth.
-Bitcoin won't be the only crypto in town. Friedman in Money Mischief stated that bi or tri-currencies scheme is always better than "monocurrency". I share this view, Gold lost to fiat, because of silver demonetization, so for me bitcoin need altcoins.

Why I picked primecoin among alt-coins satisfying previous statements ?
 - because of his PoW. Gold had intrinsically almost no value other than aesthetic and durability. But there were many durable commodities, so it's probable that people picked Gold and Silver because they were aesthetics. Translated in virtual scheme, Primecoin use of prime numbers is equivalent. For many people (mathematicians) primes are like numbers of God, they seem to follow a pattern and could be seen as very aesthetics.    

You don't like XPM, it's okay. It's a free business. Wait for eMunie and stop wasting your time telling us we're wrong while you don't have a clue about how monetary stuff works.
MarpleTrading

Activity: 191
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2013, 07:32:09 AM

Bien dit! Smiley

An easy to use API for price information from the most import crypto exchanges
https://www.cryptodb.com
eCoinomist (OP)

Activity: 112

Independent Analyst

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2013, 09:46:53 PM

I didn't want to talk on this, but at this point there is no other choice. You don't understand economics, you don't understand computer science that's pretty clear now.

First what is a currency ?
You seem to like VISA business model, but VISA is not a currency, it's a DEBT ISSUER company, just like a bank but without fiat money issuing power (not regulated by fed, ecb, boe, boj...). So if eMunie is a Visa-like scheme it's doomed to fail. Visa/Mastercarcd&co process transactions in few seconds so you're not doing something new, and unlike eMunie, people trust them, they're in business since a while and you know what ? economics and particularly money is about trust.
A currency is a mean of exchange, primecoin can be exchanged
A currency is unit of account, you can basically value anything you want in primecoin, even if his "market cap" (it's better to talk about money supply) isn't large enough to let you buy anything you want
A currency is store of value, that's definitely the most important when it comes to cryptocurrencies, bitcoin included and that's also why regulators want to step in. am I gonna lose my money if I invest in bitcoin/primecoin/whatevercoin. So As long as primecoin keep/increase/manage his value, it's a valid store of value.

You talk about commodities. A commodity is simply anything that can be freely traded so even USD/EUR/JPY are commodities traded on Forex markets. The only difference compared to nature-based commodities is simply Ben Bernanke & co playing roles of "mother nature" for the sake of all of us. You seem to mingle scarcity and commodities.

Now i'll tell you why Primecoin is the best alternative/complement to bitcoin :
-It's fast enough for online transaction. One minute is an acceptable tradeoff for e-commerce. But bitcoin is fine too if you add a layer that can indicate that buyer BTC address has enough funds; nevertheless a fast coin increase Velocity of money and therefore is definitely a plus.
-It can never be merge mined with Bitcoin. So they are two different currencies just as Gold and Silver were.
-It's not a capped coin. Therefore it's still share some characteristics of current fiat money. Continuous supply should stabilize value of XPM and discourage hoarding as value doesn't increase with time. Basically it's like a pure neutral money. World GDP has increased over time (think about before J.C and now), so it's safe to assume a little inflated money to expand innovation and growth.
-Bitcoin won't be the only crypto in town. Friedman in Money Mischief stated that bi or tri-currencies scheme is always better than "monocurrency". I share this view, Gold lost to fiat, because of silver demonetization, so for me bitcoin need altcoins.

Why I picked primecoin among alt-coins satisfying previous statements ?
 - because of his PoW. Gold had intrinsically almost no value other than aesthetic and durability. But there were many durable commodities, so it's probable that people picked Gold and Silver because they were aesthetics. Translated in virtual scheme, Primecoin use of prime numbers is equivalent. For many people (mathematicians) primes are like numbers of God, they seem to follow a pattern and could be seen as very aesthetics.    

You don't like XPM, it's okay. It's a free business. Wait for eMunie and stop wasting your time telling us we're wrong while you don't have a clue about how monetary stuff works.

Same old retaliation posts...

I never said Visa is a currency, stop being ignorant and read the thread before you post.

As far as I know, I use Visa/MasterCard everyday (90% of the time), but they don't print money, it's the central banks that print/create money physically or digitally.

FYI:
http://youtu.be/01IusDeSPE4

This thread is not about eMunie, so please refrain from going off topic and pigging back on other currencies (and it's nothing like Visa, btw).

This line is a pretty clear description of yourself:
You don't understand economics, you don't understand computer science that's pretty clear now.

versificateur

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 10:54:12 PM

Same old retaliation posts...

I never said Visa is a currency, stop being ignorant and read the thread before you post.

As far as I know, I use Visa/MasterCard everyday (90% of the time), but they don't print money, it's the central banks that print/create money physically or digitally.

FYI:
http://youtu.be/01IusDeSPE4

This thread is not about eMunie, so please refrain from going off topic and pigging back on other currencies (and it's nothing like Visa, btw).

This line is a pretty clear description of yourself:
You don't understand economics, you don't understand computer science that's pretty clear now.

Your post is really priceless.

1) You didn't explicitly say VISA is currency/money. You implied this by comparing VISA to Primecoin. If i'm wrong why do you compare apples with oranges ? And be sure that even "average Joe" will see differences.

2) This thread isn't about eMunie? okay then don't refer to this scamcoin

3) You talk about central banks, but your video link is on commercial banks. Central banks create money out of nothing (that's why it's called Fiat, like in Fiat lux!), Commercial banks create money by issuing asymmetric debt (with $10 in assets central banks authorize them to lend 200$). It's certainly not the same business. Again you seem to mingle economics concepts, economics agents and relation between them. You want to learn a bit ? Go an buy G. Mankiw book Principles of Economics (even if it's a keynesian book, it's well written)

My point ? I'm really far far from being a noob in economics, and all your arguments against primecoin are /dev/null . They just show how much you're ignorant. Nothing more. Nothing less.
eCoinomist (OP)

Activity: 112

Independent Analyst

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 10:16:17 AM

Your post is really priceless.

1) You didn't explicitly say VISA is currency/money. You implied this by comparing VISA to Primecoin. If i'm wrong why do you compare apples with oranges ? And be sure that even "average Joe" will see differences.

2) This thread isn't about eMunie? okay then don't refer to this scamcoin

3) You talk about central banks, but your video link is on commercial banks. Central banks create money out of nothing (that's why it's called Fiat, like in Fiat lux!), Commercial banks create money by issuing asymmetric debt (with $10 in assets central banks authorize them to lend 200$). It's certainly not the same business. Again you seem to mingle economics concepts, economics agents and relation between them. You want to learn a bit ? Go an buy G. Mankiw book Principles of Economics (even if it's a keynesian book, it's well written)

My point ? I'm really far far from being a noob in economics, and all your arguments against primecoin are /dev/null . They just show how much you're ignorant. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Ok, I get it, someone may have been butthurt because:

A) They just bought in Primecoin when the prices rose back to 0.009, thinking Primecoin is back to the glorious 0.019 days again
B) Were not in there from day one and just only figured how to mind this thing on VPS, only to find a factual report like mine to show up
C) Still hold lots of XPM, hoping to GRQ one day.

PS. Should I read a book to understand how economics work, because "academic" is my type and I can't think for myself? As a web marketer in an ever changing internet world one thing I noticed is that I tend to trust my own logical analysis, research and experience to find facts. Should I change that way of thinking and listen to the flock, like a sheep?

Thank you very much for your kind book recommendation, which has 3.5 out of 5 star ratings and a large number of reviews (18 so far since 2011 on amazon) - I hope it helps me understand how economics work just like it did to you Smiley

usahero

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 10:28:26 AM

PS. Should I read a book to understand how economics work, because "academic" is my type and I can't think for myself? As a web marketer in an ever changing internet world one thing I noticed is that I tend to trust my own logical analysis, research and experience to find facts. Should I change that way of thinking and listen to the flock, like a sheep?

There is an I missing...

"my own ilogical analysis"
bcp19

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 11:15:16 AM

My pick is always the more realistic scarcity model, like that of Decrits or eMunie for example, where supply adjusts to demand proportionately, not inversely proportionate like that of Primecoin.

In two years from now, Bitcoin has a very high chance of becoming "history" when it comes to functioning as a currency, and may only be used as a store of value by then (a commodity), because new things like eMunie will be able to process transactions in seconds, not minutes - so while not designed to be a "commodity" - it's function is very clear - to be used as a currency and it suppose to do that better than what Visa has already accomplished.

You brought up Emunie first, but now are saying don't go off topic.....

I do not suffer fools gladly... "Captain!  We're surrounded!"
I embrace my inner Kool-Aid.
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2013, 12:50:27 PM

How does one figure out the current supplyof xpm?
satriani

Activity: 93

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 02:21:57 PM

XPM supply should be 20-30mln coins (depends how fast GPU and ASIC miner will launch into market)
http://xpm.muuttuja.org/charts/

if nobody could make GPU/ASIC miner for Prime - i heard that the first CPU on graphene would have over 100GHz / 1core
dE_logics

Activity: 686

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2014, 03:33:02 PM

Unlike Bitcoin, there is no cap to how many Primecoins will be made.

Yes, USD is a failure cause of it's inflation rate, there's no cap on how many $s will be made.

As a result, people now use fossil fuels as a currency, cause it's value always increases.

I got no idea what you buy for investment. Primes? Or coin which has an inflation model like the $, Euro, Yen, Pound sterling, INR etc...

▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████████▄▄
▄██████████▄▄▄    ▀▀▀███████▄
▄██████████████████▄▄▄   ▀▀█████▄
████████████████████████▌  ▄███████
██████████████▀▀    ▀▀██▀ ▄███▀ ▀████
███████████▀▀  ▄▄ ▄▄     ▄█████▄  ▀████
███████████  ▄▄ ▀█████▄ ▄█▀  █████  ▀████
▄██████████   ▀████▀  ▀███     █████  ▀███▄
██████████▌  ▄████▄  ▄█▀▀██▄   ▐█████  ████
██████████   ▀▀ ▀████▀    ██    ██████ ████
██████████▌      ▄███▄  ▄██▄   ▐██████H████
▀██████████▄   ▄█▀  ▀████▀▀▀   ███████████▀
██████████▀ ▄█▀    ██▀▀██   ▄████████████
███████▀ ▄███▄           ▄█████████████
█████▄▄█████████▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
▀█████████████████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████████████▀▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

█▀▀▀▄▄▄██▄
             █     ▀██▀
            █
         ▄▄▄█▄▄▄
 ████▄▄███████████▄▄████
▐██████▀▀███████▀▀██████▌
 ▀████    █████    ████▀
  ████▄  ▄█████▄  ▄████
  ▀███████████████████▀
   ▀████▄▀█████▀▄████▀
     ▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄████████
          █████████
          █████
          █████
      █████████████
      █████████████
          █████
          █████
          █████
          █████
          █████

█▄▄              █▄▄
█████▄▄         ██████▄▄
████████       ████████ █
████████ ██   ████████ ██
████████ ███ ████████ ███
████████ ████ ██████ ████
████████ █████ ████ █████
████████ ▀█████ ██ ██████
████████    ▀▀██  ███████
▀███████         ▀███████
   ▀▀███            ▀▀███
       ▀                ▀
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 03:36:15 PM

Yes, USD is a failure cause of it's inflation rate, there's no cap on how many $s will be made.

As a result, people now use fossil fuels as a currency, cause it's value always increases.

I got no idea what you buy for investment. Primes? Or coin which has an inflation model like the $, Euro, Yen, Pound sterling, INR etc...

That's why some alt coins and Bitcoin has been so successful because they do have a market cap and don't keep on getting generated.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
dE_logics

Activity: 686

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2014, 03:46:28 PM

That's why some alt coins and Bitcoin has been so successful because they do have a market cap and don't keep on getting generated.

Yes, coins having an inflation model are a fail --

1) Infinitecoin
2) Quark
3) Zetacoin

And Bitcoins will continue to have inflation more than $s till 2021.

But no, that's not inflation at all. Cause if it would've been inflation, it whould've been fail, but it has NOT failed.

And you can always see the national currency, it's always a fail. People use fossil fuels as currency nowadays.

▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████████▄▄
▄██████████▄▄▄    ▀▀▀███████▄
▄██████████████████▄▄▄   ▀▀█████▄
████████████████████████▌  ▄███████
██████████████▀▀    ▀▀██▀ ▄███▀ ▀████
███████████▀▀  ▄▄ ▄▄     ▄█████▄  ▀████
███████████  ▄▄ ▀█████▄ ▄█▀  █████  ▀████
▄██████████   ▀████▀  ▀███     █████  ▀███▄
██████████▌  ▄████▄  ▄█▀▀██▄   ▐█████  ████
██████████   ▀▀ ▀████▀    ██    ██████ ████
██████████▌      ▄███▄  ▄██▄   ▐██████H████
▀██████████▄   ▄█▀  ▀████▀▀▀   ███████████▀
██████████▀ ▄█▀    ██▀▀██   ▄████████████
███████▀ ▄███▄           ▄█████████████
█████▄▄█████████▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
▀█████████████████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████████████▀▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

█▀▀▀▄▄▄██▄
             █     ▀██▀
            █
         ▄▄▄█▄▄▄
 ████▄▄███████████▄▄████
▐██████▀▀███████▀▀██████▌
 ▀████    █████    ████▀
  ████▄  ▄█████▄  ▄████
  ▀███████████████████▀
   ▀████▄▀█████▀▄████▀
     ▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄████████
          █████████
          █████
          █████
      █████████████
      █████████████
          █████
          █████
          █████
          █████
          █████

█▄▄              █▄▄
█████▄▄         ██████▄▄
████████       ████████ █
████████ ██   ████████ ██
████████ ███ ████████ ███
████████ ████ ██████ ████
████████ █████ ████ █████
████████ ▀█████ ██ ██████
████████    ▀▀██  ███████
▀███████         ▀███████
   ▀▀███            ▀▀███
       ▀                ▀
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 07:49:30 PM

lol yeah the cap is going to be reached in 2050 or 2090 or whatever...lol "and don't keep on getting generated".

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

yldouright

Activity: 70

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 10:01:06 PM

The primecoin chart just showed a double hump down pattern last week, a technical indicator pointing to further weakness ahead. It keeps looking like the predictions of one coin to survive them all is coming true. I'm trying to stay optimistic but it's really hard to.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: