Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:51:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FBI is after bitcoin? Good!  (Read 5011 times)
mises

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 09:28:39 AM

Sounds like a lot of people here don't live in the states.
cloudTc

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 09:43:17 AM

People aren't dumb, especially people in the FBI.

Bitcoin was really well designed..imo one of the most genius inventions of our time.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 10:49:27 AM

The reply that really matters is the one which the Federal Reserve writes to the Senate. They will have the opposite imperative to claim that it is irrelevant. If the Fed talks up the "threat" of Bitcoin then that really will rocket this disruptive technology onto the front pages everywhere.

Unfortunately, like Tom's Illuminati, the secretive Fed would prefer its report to remain secret. Hopefully someone will dump it on Wikileaks.

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 11:40:27 AM

After a careful study of bitcoin, FBI people finally wake up and understand the fiat money scam is the biggest national thereat that they should investigate: Who get the ownership of newly created dollar Huh Huh Huh

solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 11:52:33 AM

After a careful study of bitcoin, FBI people finally wake up and understand the fiat money scam is the biggest national thereat that they should investigate: Who get the ownership of newly created dollar Huh Huh Huh

Answer: FBI salaries, benefits, and ex-FBI retiree pensions (and the banks they use). They will all get some of the newly printed dollars first. When they spend the money then the private sector finally gets some of those dollars.

600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 12:44:03 PM

let´s hope bitcoin price rises fast enough for us to be able to bribe all those bureaurocrats. give em some btc...
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 12:47:47 PM

The comments in this thread kind of remind me of this

FNG

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 01:06:13 PM

Typical american institutions. The only threat is national debt and colapse of current monetary system
Bitcoin can be a scapegoat to USD hyperinflation

"There's nothing we could do...." "Don't blame us..you caused the $ to collapse"
btctraderr

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 01:07:13 PM

Meh, if the US do something stupid and start attacking bitcoin more than they already are- they need to realise that bitcoin is a GLOBAL currency and shutting bank accounts and closing exchanges does nothing. They just miss out on the current (and next wave) of entrepreneurs starting Bitcoin businesses in their country. Bitcoin will still be there tomorrow- itll flourish in friendlier jurisdictions.  
crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 01:40:23 PM

westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 01:43:48 PM

none of what you said will happen. in my opinion your assumptions are irrational.

if something similar would happen(it will not), the FBI would slowly close bitcoin. juicing every dollar out of the government and only doing just enough to keep their department open. if they completely fail, they will just be closed.

The U.S. has an agency called the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA). It's job is to fight and win a "war on drugs."

They have utterly, undeniably failed, yet they keep marching right along.

Never underestimate the fortitude of bureaucratic inertia.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
faiza1990

Activity: 420

★☆★777Coin★☆★

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 01:46:28 PM

The war on Bitcoin will do to the Bitcoin price what the War on drugs has done to the price of drugs.

Kouye

Activity: 336

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 02:59:58 PM

The good news is that FBI will want bitcoin to be. The end of BTC will mean the end of Anti-BTC Department. And the Anti-BTC department will not want to die, it will want to live and grow! So the FBI will want bitcoin not just to be, but to be a big problem. Yes, they will push us underground, but they will help us grow down there!

They might even ask for an annual bitcoin budget... They need to be insiders to fight the evil, right ? Grin

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 03:47:31 PM

The OP is very high quality observation and analysis, and very prescient actually.  Sad (in a way) but very likely quite true.

Indeed it has seemed to me at times over the past few years that 'they' were actually propping the solution up and incubating it if anything.  Most clued in people see distributed crypto-currencies as a stunningly powerful thing fairly early on in their research.  It would not surprise me in the least if fighting Bitcoin were anticipated by some as a rich vein of revenue and power if it could just get off the ground.

+1

That's why we need to educate.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
TheLoser

Activity: 462
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 04:46:55 PM

lol damn  Grin
ninjarobot

Activity: 761
Merit: 500

Mine Silent, Mine Deep

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 05:20:44 PM

faiza1990

★☆★777Coin★☆★

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 06:46:06 PM

absolutely right and good

GigaDice

Activity: 224

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 07:24:22 PM

Who cares what happens in the United States.

I don't  Grin

Well you should as their policies tend to transcend borders. I'm not quite sure what to make of this news just yet, although it's blatant obvious that the Fed's never supported BTC.
faiza1990

★☆★777Coin★☆★

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 07:28:36 PM

Who cares what happens in the United States.

I don't  Grin

Well you should as their policies tend to transcend borders. I'm not quite sure what to make of this news just yet, although it's blatant obvious that the Fed's never supported BTC.

even Fes supported or no when they want to destroy they do this its their hobby destroy good things for selfishness

Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 10:19:48 PM
Last edit: August 15, 2013, 10:32:00 PM by Luckybit

While all this brouhaha sounds ominous, there is little they can really do. There is no legal standing (nor logical reasoning) to consider Bitcoin any more of a threat than any other payment system. There will soon be a tipping point where government is seen as bullying Bitcoiners and some other nation will step in as a voice of reason. Smart money will go there (hello France, Iceland, Japan, India, and others). Until there is more than breast-beating, this is a good time to get cheap bitcoins.

Here's a test: One of the greatest potential threats about Bitcoin is *gasp* kidnapping with a ransom in Bitcoin. It's the perfect crime, right? Yet nobody has done so. Why? Because Bitcoin is not good for that. If Bitcoin was so great for narcotics, then why aren't the cartels using it? Because it's not good for that. Bitcoin is not good for crime. It is not anonymous. It *is* private. There is a difference. Maybe they are more afraid of privacy than anything else. Are you listening NSA?

All of these posts are FUD. If the US was trying to stop Bitcoin so would all of it's allies so there would be no where to go. But the US wont try to stop Bitcoin for the same reason Russia and China haven't stopped the Internet. Bitcoin is just too useful, and too important to be stopped.

Government regulation on the other hand is welcome. People who don't want any regulation are the ones fear mongering because they are worried about their Silkroad being shut down but the vast majority of people coming into Bitcoin now are speculators, investors, business owners, gamblers, but not the drug addicted paranoid of the government crowd who were into Bitcoin in 2011-2012.  Bitcoin now is in a completely different era and while it's still early adopter innovator stage the attitudes will change over time.

The originators were cypherpunk grad student and hacker types. Then you had the drug users and dark net types who came in right around the time when Bitcoin was announced to be supported by Wikileaks (which also happend to be the time that Satoshi left the scene). Then you had Gavin speaking with the CIA in 2012 right around the peak of the Bitcoin darknet era. That was also a few months after the FBI report which you can find on Wired.

Now the era is changing into the more professional era where you have businesses forming, people actually are getting rich now and speculators and a new generation of innovators are becoming involved. The new generation have the goal of mainstreaming Bitcoin and of upping the price as much as possible because the new generation are businessmen. Previous generations who were more about being pseudo-revolutionaries (the darknet generation) or the technological intellectuals (the satoshi generation), have differing views. Some of the satoshi generation want Bitcoin to be mainstream because they have or will have millions of dollars worth in Bitcoin and its all useless if they cannot spend it anywhere except on Silkroad.

These people want to be able to live on Bitcoins and you simply cannot do that if it's not regulated.  Then you have the revolutionaries and darknet crowd who never intended to have any legitimate use for the currency and who just want some anonymous form of money for their revolution or to buy drugs. And the newest generation the professionals are busy trying to push Bitcoin into the mainstream so their businesses can profit and they can become millionaires like the satoshi generation, and generally speaking they don't care about Silkroad.

There are different common reasons why people get involved with Bitcoin but I'll list some.

1. The beauty of the technology. (this reason attracts the college students and nerds)
2. The politics, how it protects civil liberties. (this is what attracted the darknet generation and they are concerned with Wikileaks, funding Snowden, and all that)
3. The people who want to start their own businesses and never have to work a 9-5 again (the people who saw Bitcoin as attractive to invest in, or who want to run businesses).

It's possible to be part of all three camps but it's important to know there are different camps and all camps support Bitcoin for different reasons. The political darknet oriented camps are the only ones in my opinion who are terrified of regulation. For their camp it's an existential threat and goes against every reason they are involved with Bitcoin.

It is my opinion that the governments are really only targeting that crowd. If you're into Bitcoin because you want to fund Wikileaks or give money to Snowden then don't be surprised if you get put on some FBI watch list. The regulation is not being put in place because the government is worried about Charlie Lee at Coinbase, or about mom and pop investor trying to shift some of their savings into Bitcoin. The FBI/DHS are targeting the people who are part of the dark net generation going around talking about how the government is evil and how revolution is necessary.

For the record I don't trust the government either but I also don't agree with some of the extreme and stupid positions I read sometimes. Regulation for me wouldn't be so bad and if you're so afraid of regulation perhaps you have something you're trying to hide from the authorities but not all of us do.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: