Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:08:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Glad chips haven't shipped...  (Read 2414 times)
lajz99 (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 11:54:34 PM

Personally, I'm kinda glad chips haven't been shipped yet due to the increase in difficulty.  Sucks that people have put money into preorders but that was your decision.  Yifu is a clever bastard but it really should have been expected.

There, I said it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jermwerty

Activity: 472
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 12:09:46 AM

Yes to "be fair" to the Batch 3 owners chips should continue to be delayed for 7+ weeks   Wink

Batch 1 was late.  Batch 2 was late.  Batch 3 was late.  People said "but chips are different".  Nope sorry!

Watching all this go down when chip sales were announced I thought two things:

1.  Well there goes my Batch 2/3 investment, cannibal Avalon...
2.  Anyone believing chips would ship as estimated hasn't been paying attention, Avalon has historically always been at least 1 month late, with 3+ being more likely.

But still, 1-3 months late is NOTHING compared to the travesty that is BFL...

What I think most people need to understand that is clear now - ASIC Makers don't WANT to release too fast.  That would kill orders and slay the goose laying the golden eggs (aka miner's money!)

As for everyone freaking out about the difficulty - that's partially because B3 finally fully made it out the door!  Just imagine when chips hit...
DyslexicZombei

Activity: 364

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 12:15:26 AM

Personally, I'm kinda glad chips haven't been shipped yet due to the increase in difficulty.  Sucks that people have put money into preorders but that was your decision.  Yifu is a clever bastard but it really should have been expected.

There, I said it.

Now that's not very nice even if you may be right. No one likes the guy that says: "I told you so."

Didn't mama ever teach you: "If you don't have something nice to say..." Karma tends to bite us in the rear when we gloat.

As a bystander to this entire trainwreck I can't believe that there still isn't any closure; like we're still waiting for the final acts.

You think this wait was bad? I started reading The Wheel of Time, literally the most epic fantasy series ever, by Robert Jordan in '90. He died & fans thought it was over, as unfinished. A brilliant author picked up the work with Jordan's wife's approval & finished the series 23 years later! Now we didn't have BTC involved but we still had a lot of time/$ invested in the series.
cryptograd

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 05:07:42 AM

Yes to "be fair" to the Batch 3 owners chips should continue to be delayed for 7+ weeks   Wink

Batch 1 was late.  Batch 2 was late.  Batch 3 was late.  People said "but chips are different".  Nope sorry!

Watching all this go down when chip sales were announced I thought two things:

1.  Well there goes my Batch 2/3 investment, cannibal Avalon...
2.  Anyone believing chips would ship as estimated hasn't been paying attention, Avalon has historically always been at least 1 month late, with 3+ being more likely.

But still, 1-3 months late is NOTHING compared to the travesty that is BFL...

What I think most people need to understand that is clear now - ASIC Makers don't WANT to release too fast.  That would kill orders and slay the goose laying the golden eggs (aka miner's money!)

As for everyone freaking out about the difficulty - that's partially because B3 finally fully made it out the door!  Just imagine when chips hit...

+1

Liked something I said ->17ry6rrknqmQ2S1NRArzdrNMmG2Zk449AE
Most important bitcointalk post in history
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=120184.msg1381739#msg1381739
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 05:11:11 AM
Last edit: August 15, 2013, 05:36:30 AM by Bicknellski

Personally, I'm kinda glad chips haven't been shipped yet due to the increase in difficulty.  Sucks that people have put money into preorders but that was your decision.  Yifu is a clever bastard but it really should have been expected.

There, I said it.

Not very clever when those same people "early adopters" stop buying Avalon products. Given the competition his "cleverness" will be a liability. The DIY community will definitely be going another direction after this debacle. Remember that DIY probably drove a good portion of the sales for these chips something that other chip makers should capitalize on in future. I suspect that like the limited and anemic development for BFL chip / board, (relative to the Klondike, BitBurner, and the Alten offering based on Avalon chips), Avalon has pretty much lost most future DIY board development. Why should anyone bother with Avalon or BFL when you can get other chips that are faster, more efficient and delivered on time with companies that are actually polite, responsive and supportive when you develop DIY boards? Note that many are also offering "protection" against the vagaries of the difficulty spikes as well as offering chips that are at starting at competitive costs.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 05:27:38 AM

Not very clever when those same people "early adopters" stop buying Avalon products.

+1

Only some of batch #1 customers were happy, the rest just licks their wounds.

I'm pretty sure that most of batch #3 and trade-in customers will never order any products from Avalon, even if they come out
with 10nm products tomorrow.  What can you expect from a man who is 24 years old?  He has zero experience dealing with customers.  And the way he avoided his customers in this Avalon project, I'm pretty sure he is not looking forward to more of the same.  He will probably retire after this and laugh all the way to the bank.

I wish him well.  Based on what he said in his last update, I'm pretty sure he received death threats so I'd not want to be in his shoes.
Looking over his shoulder for the rest of his life.

Who knows, maybe he will just walk away from all this.  No chips, no more products from BitSynCom...
Either way, it was a very mismanaged project.

qnosh

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 05:36:33 AM

Yifu is a clever bastard  Grin
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 05:44:11 AM

What can you expect from a man who is 24 years old?  He has zero experience dealing with customers.  

I expect 6 - 18 year olds in my school to be responsible human beings that look after their peers. Why can't an adult do the same?

Age has nothing to do with this it has everything to do with basic ethical and moral standards that he and many of these companies lack when dealing with their investors / customers. Rather than working with the community and sharing relevant information like where are the chips and when they are going to be delivered all we get are excuses. Excuses are not what the community wants. We want information. Without information it is hard to make an informed decision on such tight time sensitive projects. How hard is it to provide that information? I suspect a 7 or 8 year old can set up a timeline schedule and offer a reasonable amount of information about how long it will take to produce a project for presentation. I have seen kids that age do it many times over the past 20 years why is it so hard for Yifu or Josh to answer simple question and give honest answers?

Clearly they will never get their act together as that sort of flaw is systemic in their nature and that is why avoiding them and their respective companies is a good idea.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
FUKT

Activity: 446

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 06:18:14 AM

There, I said it.

Now that's not very nice even if you may be right. No one likes the guy that says: "I told you so."

Didn't mama ever teach you: "If you don't have something nice to say..." Karma tends to bite us in the rear when we gloat.

As a bystander to this entire trainwreck I can't believe that there still isn't any closure; like we're still waiting for the final acts.

You think this wait was bad? I started reading The Wheel of Time, literally the most epic fantasy series ever, by Robert Jordan in '90. He died & fans thought it was over, as unfinished. A brilliant author picked up the work with Jordan's wife's approval & finished the series 23 years later! Now we didn't have BTC involved but we still had a lot of time/$ invested in the series.

Damn, I forgot about that book. Going to try get a copy this afternoon, thanks for the nostalgic reminder!
Altoidnerd

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

http://altoidnerd.com

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 06:24:58 AM

Hay guise...since we're like talking about like ASIC manufacturers' atrocities on the mining community through habitual delays of promised shipments...err, what do you like think KnCMiner will do?

Do you even mine?
12gKRdrz7yy7erg5apUvSRGemypTUvBRuJ
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 06:41:37 AM

A report that the chips have shipped...

Avalon Batch #3 have just been delivered over the past week or two.

Wayne_Chang

Activity: 448

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 06:56:45 AM

Even I am a batch#3 user, I cannot agree to the title of this thread.
We are all Avalon's customers no matter miner or chips we pre-ordered. It's Avalon's fault caused the delay.
As someone reported received chips, the difficulty will keep rising highly in weeks afterward.
pokerFace2

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 07:16:02 AM

Hay guise...since we're like talking about like ASIC manufacturers' atrocities on the mining community through habitual delays of promised shipments...err, what do you like think KnCMiner will do?

And what do you expect ? Preorder is bad decision to go.

People bitching about Avalon now, but next products will be ready to ship when you buy - finally and way to go !
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 11:13:58 AM

Personally, I'm kinda glad chips haven't been shipped yet due to the increase in difficulty.  Sucks that people have put money into preorders but that was your decision.  Yifu is a clever bastard but it really should have been expected.

There, I said it.

There is no real way to know with 100% certainty that they arent just mining with all those chips for themselves.

Yup sucks to be a preordering customer of AVALON chips.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

bitcoiner49er

Activity: 457

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 01:29:12 PM

There, I said it.

There is no real way to know with 100% certainty that they arent just mining with all those chips for themselves.

Yup sucks to be a preordering customer of AVALON chips.

Yes there is. No one can account for 100% of the 20%+ rises for the past 7-8 difficulty increases. Yeah there's some this, and some that; but the continued increase only means that someone is consistently adding hashpower to the network. If you don't think it's the ASIC manufacturers you are blind.
And honesty I don't really care as long as they can meet their PAID customer's orders. ASICminer is the only one with integrity so far to do so.

Homo doctus is se semper divitias habet
scyth3

Activity: 490

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 02:09:31 PM

"Delays" happen because they are fully paid upfront.
oyeTorry

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 02:13:26 PM

So true, never pay upfront.

The funny thing is those who preordered KNCminers hopes KNC is different  Cheesy

Altoidnerd

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 04:27:53 PM

So true, never pay upfront.

The funny thing is those who preordered KNCminers hopes KNC is different  Cheesy

I did so please do not poop on my parade.

Do you even mine?
12gKRdrz7yy7erg5apUvSRGemypTUvBRuJ
Tehfiend

Activity: 491
Merit: 514

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 05:00:55 PM
Last edit: August 15, 2013, 06:34:02 PM by Tehfiend

Not very clever when those same people "early adopters" stop buying Avalon products.

+1

By "only some" I think you mean "vast majority". Batch #1 customers have been in hog heaven reaping amazing profits and are probably the biggest "winners" in the ASIC arms race.

I personally am torn on Bitsyncom/Yifu. I wonder how they got so far off track since batch #1 but at the same time I have a hard time feeling sorry for chip customers since all of the signs were there. I was planning on buying a batch of chips but got cold feet because at that time batch #2 was experiencing a delay that still doesn't add up and I was getting ZERO response from Bitsyncom to my inquiry about bulk chip orders. I personally would never invest that kind of capital with a company that is unable communicate with their customers BEFORE the sale is even complete. Everybody that ordered chips should have known that Bitsyncom was already experiencing "unexplained delays" and was not able or perhaps willing to communicate with it's customers AT ALL. It wasn't a secret. Ordering bulk chips at that time should have been a calculated risk and I believe greed overpowered a lot of peoples better judgement and while it doesn't look good, the race isn't over and there's still a decent chance they will come out ahead as the majority of Bitsyncom customers have...
nbtcminer

Activity: 249

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 05:10:46 PM

+1

By "only some" I think you mean "vast majority". Batch #1 customers have been in hog heaven reaping amazing profits and are probably the biggest "winners" in the ASIC arms race.

I personally am torn on Bitsyncom/Yufi. I wonder how they got so far off track since batch #1 but at the same time I have a hard time feeling sorry for chip customers since all of the signs were there. I was planning on buying a batch of chips but got cold feet because at that time batch #2 was experience a delay that still doesn't add up and I was getting ZERO response from Bitsyncom to my inquiry about bulk chip orders. I personally would never invest that kind of capital with a company that is unable communicate with their customers BEFORE the sale is even complete. Everybody that ordered chips should have known that Bitsyncom was already experiencing "unexplained delays" and was not able or perhaps willing to communicate with it's customers AT ALL. It wasn't a secret. Ordering bulk chips at that time should have been a calculated risk and I believe greed overpowered a lot of peoples better judgement and while it doesn't look good, the race isn't over and there's still a decent chance they will come out ahead as the majority of Bitsyncom customers have...

The batch 3 announcement and this post from Ngzhang stopped me from making a really bad investment:

we discussed batch3 price for a long time.

personally, i do think this is a reasonable price.

batch#1: 1300USD + your trust,  batch#2: 1500USD + your trust, batch#3 = ?

why batch 1 and batch2 customers will enjoy such a low USD price and extremly high profit? because they put their valuable trust on us.

last September, most of you think we have little chance to win, or could be a crappy scam, you don't buy.

this January, considerable people think we take Jeff down or just spent 400K to make a prototype, you don't buy.

now, everything on track, machines delivered to your hands are only a matter of time. you want to buy them at a same price or something like 2000USD.

OK, please tell me, what is the price of people most valuable things "trust" should be? 500USD? no, 5000USD at least.

as a core developer, i look upon all Avalons as my son. i will send them to who believe us, not the faithless or buzzard.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: