Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:28:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion for how to choose a pool difficulty for miners.  (Read 69304 times)
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2013, 01:13:54 PM

SNIP

I know they're not as simple or clean as either of your suggestions, but hard as I try I just can't do simple Wink  As I say it might be useful for experienced miners who know how much daily variation they can take. If I was mining again I'd be ok with a daily variation in hashrate of +/- 2 or 3%.

What do you guys think? Too complicated? Might be ok to use in some kind of website app though.
I like it, but I really doubt that there are many miners who will really go for this level of control over it. I've seen enough very experienced miners get confused with what effect high diff shares have on your mining already...

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
-Redacted-

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 10:30:53 PM
Last edit: October 09, 2013, 10:41:28 PM by -Redacted-

bit of a noob question, if you solo mine at 370MH the chance of actually finding a block before someone else would be  about 0 say running 2-4 months and someone else finds the block all your time would have been wasted right?

At 370 Mhz you would have a 50% chance of finding a block in about 7.5 years, not counting difficulty changes in the meantime.  So, if the difficulty didn't change,  over a long period of time - measured in hundreds of years, you should be finding one block about every 7.5 years on average.

And it's not THE block you are finding, because that changes every few minutes, and everything starts over again with the same probability - every time the current block changes  (say, because somebody else solved the current block, which should happen about once every 6 minutes) you get to start over trying to solve the new one...
gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2013, 11:29:00 PM

I don't see why people give a shit if their _daily_ income has only a 1% variation. Jesus Christ, do you all have mining hardware setups whos output exactly match the cost of your daily heroin fix or something?  Tongue

There are very few small to medium size businesses that have variation against expected within 1% even on a timescale of months.

I mean, sure, if the bandwidth isn't a concern and the pool doesn't care to charge people based on their actual load, then by all means, why not lower.

But caring about a daily 1% variation is just further confirmation to me that y'all are crazy. Smiley
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2013, 01:54:09 AM

I don't see why people give a shit if their _daily_ income has only a 1% variation. Jesus Christ, do you all have mining hardware setups whos output exactly match the cost of your daily heroin fix or something?  Tongue

There are very few small to medium size businesses that have variation against expected within 1% even on a timescale of months.

I mean, sure, if the bandwidth isn't a concern and the pool doesn't care to charge people based on their actual load, then by all means, why not lower.

But caring about a daily 1% variation is just further confirmation to me that y'all are crazy. Smiley
Wait wait wait, you're calling people who spend $5000 on a money making machine that in its entire lifetime will never make $3000 or so crazy? You're crazy.

-ck
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2013, 05:10:23 AM

I don't see why people give a shit if their _daily_ income has only a 1% variation. Jesus Christ, do you all have mining hardware setups whos output exactly match the cost of your daily heroin electricity fix or something?  Tongue

<snip>

It's certainly getting there.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
bitminerinthecloud

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 12:11:57 AM

Hmm, sorry for my ignorance, but increasing the difficult as the OP is saying would decrease bandwith requirements for both the miner and the miner operator by how much percentage? What much bandwith would be needed for 1 GH/s (as with difficult 1 and as with suggested)?
Aurum

Activity: 453
Merit: 250

dfgfdgfdg

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2014, 06:33:15 PM

Set your diff to your worker's hashrate in GH/1.4

So add up the hashrate of all my miners that contribute work to a pool under the same worker name. Is that right Huh

E.g., say I have 5 AntMiner S1s named Aurum.Ant then I should specify 1,000/1.4 = 512 (rounded down to the nearest power of 2) as my minimum diff.

ghghghfgh
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2014, 09:26:34 PM

So add up the hashrate of all my miners that contribute work to a pool under the same worker name. Is that right Huh

E.g., say I have 5 AntMiner S1s named Aurum.Ant then I should specify 1,000/1.4 = 512 (rounded down to the nearest power of 2) as my minimum diff.
Yes I would suggest the total hashrate, not each device's.

-ck
hashfun

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 02:35:56 PM

i have 4 Devices Each 180-GHz so my total is 720-GHZ
all my 4 worker in same pool,

but in pool they force me to define Difficulty each worker,
so what u suggest should i select each worker diff : 256
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2014, 02:38:13 PM

Combine the total hashrate and give the same diff to all of them, so about the same as the other recommendation of 512

-ck
hashfun

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 03:15:37 PM

Combine the total hashrate and give the same diff to all of them, so about the same as the other recommendation of 512

i test some Result and i want to share here

when i set  512 =  too many stale
when i set  256 =  less stale
when i set  128 =  few stale

is there in my internet problem when increase the diff stale increased.
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2014, 09:02:40 PM

Stale rate should have absolutely nothing to do with diff setting unless your software is broken. Some hardware came with broken drivers that behaved differently with different diff work but that's a software problem on their part, it is not the diff at fault.

-ck
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: