Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:09:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I am giving away bitcoins! FOR FREE!!  (Read 4669 times)
skull88

Activity: 683
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 12:17:01 AM

Why would that get peoples' attention to bitcoin?

Because they get something free and he makes clear it is worth some money.  Wink

I like the idea. Smiley

BTC: 1MifMqtqqwMMAbb6zr8u6qEzWqq3CQeGUr
LTC: LhvMYEngkKS2B8FAcbnzHb2dvW8n9eHkdp

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sharky112065

Activity: 383
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 12:28:48 AM

This whole experiment will not cost me more than 4 bitcoins total or $40.. no matter how many of my friends respond to my offer.

As soon as you send amounts below 0.01BTC, you will have to add transaction fees of 0.0005 (I think). So it might be a little more expensive. Smiley

Nah.. I just sent someone 13BTC without any fee's.  The bitcoin client accepted the transfer.

Hmm. I just sent someone .2368 and it charged me .0005

Donations welcome: 12KaKtrK52iQjPdtsJq7fJ7smC32tXWbWr
RchGrav (OP)

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 12:47:09 AM

I really don't understand you.

First of all, i don't regularly use facebook, so i don't know how to post on someone elses facebook site.
Thats good.. that means that the coins I put up will go to people outside of the Bitcoin community.

The only reason i have a facebook account is actually because my girlfriend wants me to have one  Smiley
Excellent.. you may be interested in trying my experiment to see if anyone bites on taking the free bitcoins out of your Facebook friends.

Mine are still sitting there... not one has been claimed yet.  I specifically told my 4 friends who are aware of bitcoin to not take part in the offer.

But i clearly fail to see the point in your whole offer.
To get bitcoin outsiders interested in the bitcoin project.

Why would that get peoples' attention to bitcoin?
Because if you give someone some free money, coupons, giftcard, whatever you would hope they would take the time to figure out how to use it.
I really feel if you give something away for free .. people will think its worthless.. but if you give it away for free, and offer to buy it back @ below the market rates... you may get their attention.

You sure got ours, but we already know about it.

A cryptic address like 157EqNHNSf82S8qjMhBDSsk6EUgzSbpdDv

I sure got your what ?

Update:  So far this experiment has cost me nothing.. because none of my facebook connections have taken advantage of the offer.  I structured the giveaway to be affordable for me to pull off..  they must think there is a catch or something.  I'm offering to send them something for free, which they can keep, or I will immediately buy back for $10 per btc..

Please don't friend request me on facebook because of this post.. if you are doing that .. you missed the whole point.

I hope other people will try this experiment.. So far no one has accepted my free bitcoins. the fools. lol

4C 6F 6E 67  4C 69 76 65  42 69 74 63 6F 69 6E
Qba'g lbh unir nalguvat orggre gb qb?
RchGrav (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 12:56:01 AM

This whole experiment will not cost me more than 4 bitcoins total or $40.. no matter how many of my friends respond to my offer.

As soon as you send amounts below 0.01BTC, you will have to add transaction fees of 0.0005 (I think). So it might be a little more expensive. Smiley

Nah.. I just sent someone 13BTC without any fee's.  The bitcoin client accepted the transfer.

Settings... Options.. Pay Transaction Fee 0.00  ;-)

Transaction fees will prioritize your transfers above those that do not pay fee's so that your transactions will occur faster.

Giving away free bitcoins would not be considered time sensitive.. so I'll send them without paying fee's.

The bitcoin network periodically adjusts what / when transaction fees are necessary, and I believe miners can also decide whether or not they require fees for transactions inside of their blocks.  I'm not 100% clear on the specifics on how that part works though.

The bitcoin client is configurable.. I usually double the default transaction fee if I want my transaction to process faster than everyone elses.

qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 01:06:57 AM

I sure got your what ?

You sure got my attention. The rest of my posting was garbled, i don't know why  Smiley

Update:  So far this experiment has cost me nothing.. because none of my facebook connections have taken advantage of the offer.  I structured the giveaway to be affordable for me to pull off..  they must think there is a catch or something.  I'm offering to send them something for free, which they can keep, or I will immediately buy back for $10 per btc..

Please don't friend request me on facebook because of this post.. if you are doing that .. you missed the whole point.

I hope other people will try this experiment.. So far no one has accepted my free bitcoins. the fools. lol

Okay, i think i begin to understand what you are trying to do.

Only your friends on facebook will be able to post on your facebook site, is that correct? (i really don't know much about facebook, sorry)
And you offer them a reward of 2 BTC and subsequently less, once they post their respective bitcoin addresses with you. Right?
That actually makes sense.

But that could be improved. Create an instawallet at https://www.instawallet.org/ with the 2 BTC sitting in it.

Publish the link to that instawallet on your facebook site, so that only your friends can see it.

They simply need a valid bitcoin address and can transfer the contents of that instawallet (or whichever portion of it they like) to their own bitcoin address.

That way, they could claim those bitcoins without having the feeling that they begged from you.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
NO_SLAVE

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 03:37:25 AM

Re: I am giving away bitcoins!  FOR FREE!!

finally an accurate price
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 04:05:59 AM

name your post in FB "Free money to first X friends!" should peak some interest me thinks, may want to add "No BS!" at the end Smiley
Ryland R. Taylor-Almanza
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 04:14:11 AM

Great Idea, Rch! I'd have enough money to do this too if I didn't tons of bitcoins to you when they were 80 cents each, haha!

.BITSLER.                 ▄███
               ▄████▀
             ▄████▀
           ▄████▀  ▄██▄
         ▄████▀    ▀████▄
       ▄████▀        ▀████▄
     ▄████▀            ▀████▄
   ▄████▀                ▀████▄
 ▄████▀ ▄████▄      ▄████▄ ▀████▄
█████   ██████      ██████   █████
 ▀████▄ ▀████▀      ▀████▀ ▄████▀
   ▀████▄                ▄████▀
     ▀████▄            ▄████▀
       ▀████▄        ▄████▀
         ▀████▄    ▄████▀
           ▀████▄▄████▀
             ▀██████▀
               ▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄            
▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀    ▄▄█▄▄ ▀▀▄         
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄      
█  ▀▄▄  ▀█▀▀ ▄      ▀████   ▀▀▄   
█ █▄  ▀▄   ▀████       ▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█  ▀▀       ▀▄▄ ▀████      ▄▄▄▀▀▀  █
█            ▄ ▀▄    ▄▄▄▀▀▀   ▄▄  █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ ▄▄   ███   ▀██  █           ▀▀  █ 
█ ███  ▀██       █        ▄▄      █ 
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  
▀▄            █        ▀▀      █  
▀▀▄   ███▄  █   ▄▄          █   
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    
▀▀▄   █   ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀         
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▀▀▀▀              
              ▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████████▄▄
        ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
▄     ▄█████▀             ▀█████▄
██▄▄ █████▀                ▀█████
 ████████            ▄██      █████
  ████████▄         ███▀       ████▄
  █████████▀▀     ▄███▀        █████
   █▀▀▀          █████         █████
     ▄▄▄         ████          █████
   █████          ▀▀           ████▀
    █████                     █████
     █████▄                 ▄█████
      ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████████▀▀
              ▀▀▀██████▀▀▀
            ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
         ▄█▀▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▀█▄
       █▀▀ ▄█████████████▄ ▀▀█
     █▀▀ ███████████████████ ▀▀█
    █▀ ███████████████████████ ▀█
   █▀ ███████████████▀▀ ███████ ▀█
 ▄█▀ ██████████████▀      ▀█████ ▀█▄
███ ███████████▀▀            ▀▀██ ███
███ ███████▀▀                     ███
███ ▀▀▀▀                          ███
▀██▄                             ▄██▀
  ▀█▄                            ▀▀
    █▄       █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
     █▄      ▀█████████▀
      ▀█▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
        ▀▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄
            ▀▀█████
[]
kiwiasian

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 04:28:04 AM

I want free coins!!

1DVc4Mn3HsHd9Rjf3J7ZoShXhqqoQCX68u

Tradehill referral link, save 10% | http://www.tradehill.com/?r=TH-R12328
www.payb.tc/kiwiasian | 1LHNW1JGMBo2e7rKiiFz7KJPKE57bqCdEC
sharky112065

Activity: 383

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 04:52:56 AM

Settings... Options.. Pay Transaction Fee 0.00  ;-)

Transaction fees will prioritize your transfers above those that do not pay fee's so that your transactions will occur faster.

Giving away free bitcoins would not be considered time sensitive.. so I'll send them without paying fee's.

The bitcoin network periodically adjusts what / when transaction fees are necessary, and I believe miners can also decide whether or not they require fees for transactions inside of their blocks.  I'm not 100% clear on the specifics on how that part works though.

The bitcoin client is configurable.. I usually double the default transaction fee if I want my transaction to process faster than everyone elses.

I did set it to 0.00, but it would not let me send without a fee. Said the transaction was too large wtf?

Donations welcome: 12KaKtrK52iQjPdtsJq7fJ7smC32tXWbWr
Ryland R. Taylor-Almanza
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 05:39:36 AM

I want free coins!!

1DVc4Mn3HsHd9Rjf3J7ZoShXhqqoQCX68u
Read the thread before posting.

.BITSLER.                 ▄███
               ▄████▀
             ▄████▀
           ▄████▀  ▄██▄
         ▄████▀    ▀████▄
       ▄████▀        ▀████▄
     ▄████▀            ▀████▄
   ▄████▀                ▀████▄
 ▄████▀ ▄████▄      ▄████▄ ▀████▄
█████   ██████      ██████   █████
 ▀████▄ ▀████▀      ▀████▀ ▄████▀
   ▀████▄                ▄████▀
     ▀████▄            ▄████▀
       ▀████▄        ▄████▀
         ▀████▄    ▄████▀
           ▀████▄▄████▀
             ▀██████▀
               ▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄            
▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀    ▄▄█▄▄ ▀▀▄         
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄      
█  ▀▄▄  ▀█▀▀ ▄      ▀████   ▀▀▄   
█ █▄  ▀▄   ▀████       ▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█  ▀▀       ▀▄▄ ▀████      ▄▄▄▀▀▀  █
█            ▄ ▀▄    ▄▄▄▀▀▀   ▄▄  █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ ▄▄   ███   ▀██  █           ▀▀  █ 
█ ███  ▀██       █        ▄▄      █ 
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  
▀▄            █        ▀▀      █  
▀▀▄   ███▄  █   ▄▄          █   
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    
▀▀▄   █   ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀         
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▀▀▀▀              
              ▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████████▄▄
        ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
▄     ▄█████▀             ▀█████▄
██▄▄ █████▀                ▀█████
 ████████            ▄██      █████
  ████████▄         ███▀       ████▄
  █████████▀▀     ▄███▀        █████
   █▀▀▀          █████         █████
     ▄▄▄         ████          █████
   █████          ▀▀           ████▀
    █████                     █████
     █████▄                 ▄█████
      ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████████▀▀
              ▀▀▀██████▀▀▀
            ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
         ▄█▀▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▀█▄
       █▀▀ ▄█████████████▄ ▀▀█
     █▀▀ ███████████████████ ▀▀█
    █▀ ███████████████████████ ▀█
   █▀ ███████████████▀▀ ███████ ▀█
 ▄█▀ ██████████████▀      ▀█████ ▀█▄
███ ███████████▀▀            ▀▀██ ███
███ ███████▀▀                     ███
███ ▀▀▀▀                          ███
▀██▄                             ▄██▀
  ▀█▄                            ▀▀
    █▄       █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
     █▄      ▀█████████▀
      ▀█▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
        ▀▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄
            ▀▀█████
[]
kloinko1n

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 06:13:41 AM

I would include some little text saying how much that bitcoin is worth in USD, and include a list with sites where they can use them.
Either to withdraw 'real' money, or to spend them on physical items or services, the former not necessarily physical Wink .
And maybe a link to this little picture:
Eri

Activity: 264

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 07:23:48 AM

i like the idea, and not to try to shoot it down but if they accept the bitcoins and turn them into RL cash, they are interested in the money, not bitcoins. i think you would be better off trying to get them interested in bitcoins in general, what they are, what they can do etc. but i do hope they accept them and use them to order something from some website, would be vary cool. if even one of them got interested in bitcoin i think it would be worth it. id get some slim jims and treasure every last bite Tongue
kloinko1n

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 05:07:00 PM

i like the idea, and not to try to shoot it down but if they accept the bitcoins and turn them into RL cash, they are interested in the money, not bitcoins.
Correct, but to turn them into 'money', they would have to install the bitcoin client, use an address, go to an exchange, send the money there, convert it into their local currency, maybe peek a look at the MtGox chart, and before you know it they will buy a mining rig and start trading, if not buying and selling goods. Grin

i think you would be better off trying to get them interested in bitcoins in general, what they are, what they can do etc. but i do hope they accept them and use them to order something from some website, would be vary cool. if even one of them got interested in bitcoin i think it would be worth it. id get some slim jims and treasure every last bite Tongue
Yes, and the way to get them interested is... sending them bitcoins...
opticbit

Activity: 695
Merit: 502

PGP: 6EBEBCE1E0507C38

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 08:26:34 PM

I sure got your what ?

You sure got my attention. The rest of my posting was garbled, i don't know why  Smiley

Okay, i think i begin to understand what you are trying to do.

Only your friends on facebook will be able to post on your facebook site, is that correct? (i really don't know much about facebook, sorry)
And you offer them a reward of 2 BTC and subsequently less, once they post their respective bitcoin addresses with you. Right?
That actually makes sense.

But that could be improved. Create an instawallet at https://www.instawallet.org/ with the 2 BTC sitting in it.

Publish the link to that instawallet on your facebook site, so that only your friends can see it.

They simply need a valid bitcoin address and can transfer the contents of that instawallet (or whichever portion of it they like) to their own bitcoin address.

That way, they could claim those bitcoins without having the feeling that they begged from you.

I set something like this up a wile ago, but didn't tell my fb friends about it, maybe I should.

14KF98JRK9tEMM22eQU4URBPZykQgaNmHP  if you'd like to check it in block explorer, or donate

I called it the BTC cent/penny Dish.  I'll have to set up a new one and only tell my FB friends, if i announce it here it will be empty in a few minutes.

Bitrated user: opticbit.
https://www.bitrated.com/opticbit
gentakin

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 08:34:02 PM

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. Those fees are needed when you send *less than* 0.01BTC. 13BTC are okay without fees.

The fees are needed to prevent transaction spam, otherwise default clients won't relay your transaction. (Maybe if you're still using 0.3.20, you won't be forced to pay a fee. That won't help with relaying the transaction though.)

1HNjbHnpu7S3UUNMF6J9yWTD597LgtUCxb
RchGrav (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 09:07:19 PM

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. Those fees are needed when you send *less than* 0.01BTC. 13BTC are okay without fees.

The fees are needed to prevent transaction spam, otherwise default clients won't relay your transaction. (Maybe if you're still using 0.3.20, you won't be forced to pay a fee. That won't help with relaying the transaction though.)

Good to know.... Anyway.. As luck has it.. it hasn't gotten to that level.  I could also stop the offer before it did.

So.. if a transaction is too large, or if its too small.. you get charged a fee? I know there has been times when I transferred larger amounts of bitcoins and there was no way to avoid a transaction fee due to the "size" of the transfer.  I assume "size" means how much data it will consume in the block chain, and not the amount of bitcoins.

But there is a sweet spot where you can avoid the fees then.

Houdini

Activity: 84

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 09:15:53 PM

So far no one has accepted my free bitcoins. the fools. lol
Most people rightfully believe that when something is too good to be true, it usually isn't true.
And your offer definitely sounds too good to be true. I mean what idiot gives money away ?  Cheesy  Wink
So what you need to do is make it clear why you're doing this (to promote bitcoins), tell everyone honestly you might profit from their interest in bitcoins (by increasing price), and make your offer known to as many people as possible (go beyond Facebook, and on Facebook go beyond your friend list).
Just my two cents.
XIU

Activity: 84

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 09:16:18 PM

Good to know.... Anyway.. As luck has it.. it hasn't gotten to that level.  I could also stop the offer before it did.

So.. if a transaction is too large, or if its too small.. you get charged a fee? I know there has been times when I transferred larger amounts of bitcoins and there was no way to avoid a transaction fee due to the "size" of the transfer.  I assume "size" means how much data it will consume in the block chain, and not the amount of bitcoins.

But there is a sweet spot where you can avoid the fees then.

Any transaction below 0.01 will ask/require for the transaction fee in the current client.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: