Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:45:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Heard about Bitcoin on Aljazeera  (Read 2123 times)
Azure Maiden (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 04:09:31 AM

So I thought I would go ahead and check it out. I'm sure once more people get in on it, it'll be a huge success.  Grin I can't wait to see what happens with it!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anonymous

July 10, 2011, 04:14:26 AM

Welcome to the forums  Smiley
Azure Maiden (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 04:19:40 AM

Thanks, I'll make these videos go viral. Grin
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 05:47:49 AM

Getting the word out beyond the western world is huge. This will be interesting.
PinkiePie

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

GROUNDED FOR TROLLING

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 11:51:52 AM

I have mixed feelings about this.  Any news about bitcoins spreading around is good but Al Jazeera has a very bad anti-American reputatation.  They went out of their way to tell the terrorist side of the story in Iraq and as an anonymous currency it isn't a good idea to associate with that kind of thing.  As a libertarian I know drugs should be legal so things like silk road are okay but there should be a way to root out other criminal groups who try and use bitcoin.

--
MOST HONEST FORUM MEMBER AWARD 2011
Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!
Nicolai Larsen

Activity: 331

Earthling

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 02:00:26 PM

Welcome my good man ^^

BTC: 1GUH16sneWgKuE1ArXrnYKN3njuherJQi1
sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 02:17:21 PM

I have mixed feelings about this.  Any news about bitcoins spreading around is good but Al Jazeera has a very bad anti-American reputatation.
They do?  It does not reflect in their journalism.
They went out of their way to tell the terrorist side of the story in Iraq
You need to give references on that.  I've never seen any signs of support for terrorism on Al Jazeera.  In fact Al Jazeera were the only news channel giving an independent view of the invasion of Iraq.  The rest were either following US troops or controlled by Iraq.  I'm sure this annoyed The USA, which answered by bombing their office in Baghdad, killing a journalist.  In the spirit of "Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists.", I guess. :-(

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
Azure Maiden (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 02:57:41 PM

I have mixed feelings about this.  Any news about bitcoins spreading around is good but Al Jazeera has a very bad anti-American reputatation.  They went out of their way to tell the terrorist side of the story in Iraq and as an anonymous currency it isn't a good idea to associate with that kind of thing.  As a libertarian I know drugs should be legal so things like silk road are okay but there should be a way to root out other criminal groups who try and use bitcoin.

But look at how well Fox or should I say Mox News covered it. They don't get both sides of the story either. All currencies are flawed and this might give Americans something else to latch onto when the dollar collapses from being over printed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZA0qNsf4m0
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 03:02:08 PM

I have mixed feelings about this.  Any news about bitcoins spreading around is good but Al Jazeera has a very bad anti-American reputatation.  They went out of their way to tell the terrorist side of the story in Iraq and as an anonymous currency it isn't a good idea to associate with that kind of thing.  As a libertarian I know drugs should be legal so things like silk road are okay but there should be a way to root out other criminal groups who try and use bitcoin.

Wow this sounds like FOXNEWS reporting.

Aljazeera was totally unbias, the only reason it felt like they gave terrorist view is because PRO-american ie. foxnews,msnbc etc. were only giving American(and only good american) reports.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 03:24:46 PM

That video was pretty cool... I'm looking forward to seeing the next one, but don't know if it's been done/uploaded yet.

Azure Maiden (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 04:11:32 PM

That video was pretty cool... I'm looking forward to seeing the next one, but don't know if it's been done/uploaded yet.

What can I say, the news networks worthwhile watching are going to report on the coolest stuff. Grin
Corner

Activity: 29

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 05:50:48 PM

Your argument is foolish. I understand that you are a self-confessed dopehead so that may explain your skewed perspective.

The US war in Iraq was a war for oil, for natural resources. The US government is the world's biggest terrorist organization and they will crumble, just like all national states. This is a technological revolution which cannot be stopped and which will mean the end of all previous political systems.

Please don't use drugs, it's very bad for that grey matter in your head.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 06:12:19 PM

I'm a U.S. Navy veteran. Do not confuse hostility to the U.S. government for hostility toward Americans. This country was founded by anti-government radicals. You can call a news outlet that refuses to be a propaganda puppet biased, but MSM networks that trade their objectivity for access are also biased. 

In Hollywood, there is a saying: There is no such thing as bad publicity. The opposite of being loved is not being hated. It is being ignored. Lack of awareness, not bad PR, is bitcoin's biggest hurdle right now.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
RandyFolds

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 08:07:41 PM

You sir, are a racist piece of shit, and ignorant to boot. The largest news network in the world is "anti-American"? Idiot...
Azure Maiden (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 08:19:00 PM

You sir, are a racist piece of shit, and ignorant to boot. The largest news network in the world is "anti-American"? Idiot...

Amen to that, if we're never open minded and unite with one another how else will any of the newer ideas get out and about so other people will get the chance to hear about them. Racial stereo typing isn't normal, it's only a mere tool that is used to segregate and separate people so they can't work as a team.
PinkiePie

GROUNDED FOR TROLLING

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 02:00:06 AM

Wow?  I'm a racist for not liking an anti-American media source funded by a Muslim despot?

Emmy award winning journalist Dave Marash, who served as a veteran correspondent for ABC's Nightline, resigned from his position as Washington anchor for Al Jazeera English in 2008. Dave Marash cited "reflexive adversarial editorial stance" against Americans and "anti-American bias". [96][97]
In 2004, Accuracy in Media, a non-profit media watchdog group, also criticized Al Jazeera for its "anti-American" stance. [98]
[edit]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Jazeera#Anti-American_bias

I strongly urge people to stick with much better sources from around the world such as Sky News or the Wall Street Journal (for financial news) and such.

--
PinkiePie

GROUNDED FOR TROLLING

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 02:01:59 AM

In May 2003, the Central Intelligence Agency, through the Iraqi National Congress, released documents purportedly showing that Al Jazeera had been infiltrated by Iraqi spies, and was regarded by Iraqi officials as part of their propaganda effort. As reported by the Sunday Times, the alleged spies were described by an Al Jazeera executive as having minor roles with no input on editorial decisions.
On 23 September 2003, Iraq suspended Al Jazeera (and Al-Arabiya) from reporting on official government activities for two weeks for what the Council stated as supporting recent attacks on council members and Coalition occupational forces. The move came after allegations by Iraqis who stated that the channel had incited anti-occupation violence (by airing statements from Iraqi insurgency leaders), increasing ethnic and sectarian tensions, and being supportive of the insurgency.
During 2004, Al Jazeera broadcast several video tapes of various victims of kidnappings in Iraq, which had been sent to the network. The videos had been filmed by the kidnappers holding the hostages. The hostages were shown, often blindfolded, pleading for their release. They often appeared to be forced to read out prepared statements of their kidnappers. Al Jazeera has assisted authorities from the home countries of the victims in an attempt to secure the release of kidnapping victims.[citation needed] This included broadcasting pleas from family members and government officials. Contrary to some allegations, including the oft-reported comments of Donald Rumsfeld on 4 June 2005, Al Jazeera has never shown beheadings. (Beheadings have appeared on numerous non-Al Jazeera websites and have sometimes been misattributed to Al Jazeera.)[92]
On 7 August 2004, the Iraqi Allawi government shut down the Iraq office of Al Jazeera, claiming that it was responsible for presenting a negative image of Iraq, and charging the network with fueling anti-Coalition hostilities. Al Jazeera spokesman Jihad Ballout said: "It's regrettable and we believe it's not justifiable. This latest decision runs contrary to all the promises made by Iraqi authorities concerning freedom of expression and freedom of the press,"[106] and Al Jazeera vowed to continue its reporting from inside Iraq.[107] News photographs showed United States and Iraqi military personnel working together to close the office. Initially closed by a one-month ban, the shutdown was extended indefinitely in September 2004, and the offices were sealed,[108] drawing condemnation from international journalists.[109]
In April 2003, the Qatar channel broadcast a long commemorative program showing ex-General of the Iraqi Republican Guards, Sayf ad-Din Rawi, who claimed that a neutron bomb had been dropped on the international airport of Bagdad during the invasion of Iraq.[110]

--
RandyFolds

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 02:57:15 AM

Much better sources.......like Wikipedia?Huh

And the Wall Street Journal??? Owned by Rupert Murdoch? Jesus christ, what is the world coming to. It really doesn't seem like you are joking here...
PinkiePie

GROUNDED FOR TROLLING

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 03:17:04 AM

You can skip over to Wiki and click the links for the original reporting.  This controversy should not remotely be new information for anyone who follows the news even a little bit, even if you disagree with my conclusion.

--
cocodapuf

Activity: 27

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 03:31:10 AM

Hey, I don't want to make this a big thing, but...

1. Al Jazeera is a pretty highly trusted news source, plus it's like they say "no such thing as bad press".
2. Terrorists in Iraq? 
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: