Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:32:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin full page on one of South China's most read weekly newspapers.  (Read 4146 times)
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 04:51:10 PM

Chinese currency policy is doomed, just like every other mercantilist/neomercantilist policy has been for 300 years. You may be too young to remember the 1980s, but I do. Everyone was concerned that Japan would overtake the U.S. as the world's largest economy. Movies like Rising Sun and Gung Ho were popular. Japan imploded when their artificial suppression of the Yes unwound. The same will happen to China.

The only way China can maintain its trade surplus is buy weakening it's own currency thereby making it's products cheaper.  To do this, they MUST buy dollars or U.S. Treasuries. America is trading worthless IOUs to China for REAL GOODS. China is getting screwed and they are backing into the big American dick.

This will end in disaster, as all central plans do.

Yep.

You can alredy see the cracks in the chinese economy, specially in the energy and housing sectors.

I meant to say "artificial suppression of the YEN."    I'd be stocking up on Renmimbi, if I could. When that R/E bubble pops, it'll be the POP heard 'round the world.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eyal

Activity: 60
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 05:05:38 PM

the thing to keep in mind about china - which hasn't been mentioned on this thread, so far - is that they're no different than any other nation as regards the law.  there are enough laws on the books that any time they want you, they've got you.

in china it's against the law to use cryptography without a nationally issued license.  i recall reading that there are only a few thousand such licenses that have been issued.

that's really the major stumbling block for the success of Bitcoin in china:  you're breaking the law just by installing the client.  and once the client includes wallet encryption by default, it'll make folks in china just that much more wary of Bitcoin.  and make the government that much more wary, as well.

but - that said - they're just reg'lar folks, as Nefario points out.  they'll take their risks for wealth like anybody else.

best of luck to them all, and happy mining.

what about SSL? illegal as well? and Mybitcoin.com ?

http://bancor.network - A Hierarchical Monetary System and the Foundation of a Global Decentralized Autonomous Exchange
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 05:20:59 PM

the thing to keep in mind about china - which hasn't been mentioned on this thread, so far - is that they're no different than any other nation as regards the law.  there are enough laws on the books that any time they want you, they've got you.

in china it's against the law to use cryptography without a nationally issued license.  i recall reading that there are only a few thousand such licenses that have been issued.

that's really the major stumbling block for the success of Bitcoin in china:  you're breaking the law just by installing the client.  and once the client includes wallet encryption by default, it'll make folks in china just that much more wary of Bitcoin.  and make the government that much more wary, as well.

but - that said - they're just reg'lar folks, as Nefario points out.  they'll take their risks for wealth like anybody else.

i dunno about SSL.  secure banking comes to mind.  but SSL can't encrypt files on your computer, and it isn't unbreakable by governments, so i suppose they use it - but i don't know for sure.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 05:22:58 PM

IMHO, VPNs are the most obvious way to circumvent the Great Firewall of China. 

i dunno about SSL.  secure banking comes to mind.  but SSL can't encrypt files on your computer, and it isn't unbreakable by governments, so i suppose they use it - but i don't know for sure.

insert coin here:

Bigpiggy01

Activity: 1138
Merit: 523

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 05:35:10 PM

Encryption is fully legal here all the biggies like HP, IBM Accenture etc use it hell even Tencent is issuing stuff with the capability to encrypt (admittedly to a SHITTY standard). That cryptography thingy you're referring to is when it's applied to "illicit" activities atm Bitcoin can't be classified as such.  Grin

▄▄▄█
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
      ▄▄█████████████████▀  ▄█
   ▄██████████████████▀ ▄▄██▀
  ███████████████▀▀  ▄▄█▀▀
 ███████████▀▀▀     ▀▀
 ██████▀▀   ▄    █
 ███▀  ▄▄████   ▐█
 █▀   ▄████▀   ▄█▌
      ▀▀▀    ▄██▌
▐▄ ▀█▄▄  ▄▄████▀
██▀  ▀▀█████▀▀
▐▌
RAPTOREUM
  TOKENIZING THE WORLD!
  ██▀
▐▌
▐║
▐║
▐▌
██▄
[ POW Algorithm: GhostRider    Anti-FPGA/ASIC ]
Assets/Tokens Masternodes Smart Contracts

.51% / Double Spend Protection, Instant Speed, Private Send.
▀██
▐▌
║▌
║▌
▐▌
▄██
█▀

█▄
◈ ──  SOCIAL MEDIA ─── ◈
Reddit Telegram Discord
Twitter  Medium GitHub
▀█
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
▄█
kloinko1n

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 05:54:04 PM

[snip>
This could be a good chance for someone to make a BTC or two by doing a Chinese language GUI for GUIMINER or something similar.

Grin Grin Grin
Or do something useful for himself: learn Chinese!  Cool
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 05:56:31 PM

VPNS are an obvious way to circumvent the Great Firewall of China.

insert coin here:

oOoOo

Activity: 238

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 06:34:50 PM

most Chinese are human

LAWL  Cheesy
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 08:03:08 PM

in china it's against the law to use cryptography without a nationally issued license.

Do you happen to know if cryptographically secure hashes fall under the legal definition of cryptography?

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
Sandoz

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 06:00:02 AM

Question: isn't anything appearing in "Southern China's most Read weekly newspaper" inherently approved by the government?
Nefario (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 09:11:41 AM

Question: isn't anything appearing in "Southern China's most Read weekly newspaper" inherently approved by the government?

Yes and no.

Yes in that anything printed must be given the OK by the party censors, so that means nothing about human rights etc.

No in the sense that they (the government, party whatever) don't have an opinion on it.

Allowing it to be printed in a paper is not an admission of endorsement.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: