Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:05:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: www.btcbalance.net - View your balance easily online.  (Read 17927 times)
Grouver (BtcBalance) (OP)

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 07:55:10 PM
Last edit: May 30, 2012, 08:47:44 PM by Grouver (BtcBalance)

Hello all,

I struggled a lot with the fact that you cannot view your addresses and their balances easily.
If you want a overview you needed your wallet.dat file to access your Bitcoin client to check your balance.

I present you:

What is BtcBalance?

BtcBalance is a service wich you can use to store your Bitcoin addresses to view their balance and latest received payments. You can add up to 20 addresses to your account and make as many accounts as you want. So if you're at school or work for instance and don't have access to your Bitcoin wallet, then you can add your addresses to your BtcBalance account and view their status. You will not have to fill in anything but your address, it automatically parses the data from the blockexplorer API. BtcBalance is also connected to the Mtgox API wich shows you what all addresses on your BtcBalance account are worth in dollars or euro's. You can use this service any time you want without having to pay a single dime.

Is it save?

The BtcBalance database is worthless since it contains data that is not worth a penny. This is because the information about a Bitcoin address can be retrieved from the network itself by anyone. And to preserve the anonymity Bitcoin offers, you can not directly register with a nickname. You will login with a login code instead of a nickname, wich makes you pretty much anonymous. Do you feel uncomfortable to login with a login code you cannot remember, then you can always add a additional nickname to login with.

You can create a account each hour.

Any feedback or bug reports are welcome.

Thanks

-----------------------------------------
List of possible features for in the future:
*Email option for balance

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3015

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 08:07:59 PM

The BtcBalance database is worthless since it contains data that is not worth a penny.

Worthless?  Your server holds a list of wallet balances and the IP addresses they are at.   Shocked

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 08:14:03 PM

The BtcBalance database is worthless since it contains data that is not worth a penny.

Worthless?  Your server holds a list of wallet balances and the IP addresses they are at.   Shocked

But how can you know that the address that you put in is bound to that IP?
You could also put in another address that is not yours.

Also, the hashed IP table is not connected to the address table in any way since they are only used to check if you already created a account in the past hour.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 08:21:56 PM

Does this know transactions that have been announced but not yet included in a block?
 e.g., similar to those found in http://www.bitcoincharts.com/bitcoin

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 08:29:56 PM

Does this know transactions that have been announced but not yet included in a block?
 e.g., similar to those found in http://www.bitcoincharts.com/bitcoin

Well, its using the Blockexplorer API thats what I know.
So I guess it doesn't parse the transactions that are not in the recent block yet.

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3015

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 11:59:43 PM

Also, the hashed IP table is not connected to the address table in any way since they are only used to check if you already created a account in the past hour.

It doesn't matter to me if there isn't a 1:1 link.  Someone hacks into your database, or your web server, and they have a nice list of IP addresses to direct hack efforts.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Meatpile

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 12:22:06 AM

Really though, whomever cracked mtgox back when, already has much information about all the richest bitcoin holders as they will ever need. I assume they are all being stealthily attacked as we speak.

JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 04:08:11 AM

It doesn't matter to me if there isn't a 1:1 link.  Someone hacks into your database, or your web server, and they have a nice list of IP addresses to direct hack efforts.
Certainly people should know that this issue exists. But it's really no big deal. Unless they're running the client and accept inbound connections, there's not much you can do with the IP address anyway. If if they're running the client and accept inbound connections, you can find their IP address anyway.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 04:10:01 AM

Really though, whomever cracked mtgox back when, already has much information about all the richest bitcoin holders as they will ever need. I assume they are all being stealthily attacked as we speak.

No they don't. After the hack, the reason Mtgox needed our financial information for verification was because the hacker did not have access to this data.

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 09:21:45 AM

It doesn't matter to me if there isn't a 1:1 link.  Someone hacks into your database, or your web server, and they have a nice list of IP addresses to direct hack efforts.

Well good luck then.
Almost every website you register saves your IP that IS connected to your address and whatsoever.
Keep in mind that there is no reason for any hacker to take the afford to crack the hashed IP's.
There is no reason for any hacker to publish an IP list wich isn't connected to anything.

Your password is being triple hashed and is almost impossible to crack.
And if they cracked it in some way, (wich will take many years for each account to crack one password) they cannot connect your password to any entity since the addresses can be from anybody.

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2011, 12:10:49 PM

8<-----------------------------------

So to start over in a positive way.
I see about 30 accounts are already created.

I am gonna try to add the total balance viewer this week.
Stay tuned.

cecil w.

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 06:44:13 PM

This is fantastic. I've been wanting something like this for awhile now.

But, yeah, I would definitely consider trashing the IPs. I wouldn't keep IPs in a log either. A service like this shouldn't even need logins or passwords (since the data is all available in blockexplorer anyway). I'd just let someone enter a bunch of addresses and then give them a unique URL to access them at. Since it's read-only, it's ultimately sort of like a URL shortener.

Sweet! Take care.

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 06:55:16 PM

This is fantastic. I've been wanting something like this for awhile now.

But, yeah, I would definitely consider trashing the IPs. I wouldn't keep IPs in a log either. A service like this shouldn't even need logins or passwords (since the data is all available in blockexplorer anyway). I'd just let someone enter a bunch of addresses and then give them a unique URL to access them at. Since it's read-only, it's ultimately sort of like a URL shortener.

Sweet! Take care.

Thanks for your reply.
Yeah its true I should't collect any data.
But to prevent spamming people I need to register something (IP's) for a while.
There is a cronjob on the server now wich deletes all IP's saved in to the register table.

TheBitMan

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 06:55:26 PM

"recceive" is spelled receive

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 07:02:10 PM

"recceive" is spelled receive
Yes thank you.
I am aware the whole website is not grammar correct yet.
Maybe this sentence above isn't correct either.
Excuse me for being Dutch.  Cool

XIU

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 07:07:37 PM

Clicking Sign In does nothing, running Chrome here.

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 07:10:12 PM

Make sure your having Javascript turned on in your browser.
Cause in the Chrome browser at my end its working flawlessly.

Leon

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 07:13:43 PM

Huuge LOL at people worrying about their IP address. Man people are sure stupid. Stop posting and spreading your ignorance please.

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 07:18:22 PM

Huuge LOL at people worrying about their IP address. Man people are sure stupid. Stop posting and spreading your ignorance please.
I understand that people are worrying since all the hacking happening these days.
But yeah, there is not much to worry about since hackers cannot use hashed ip's wich aren't connected to anything.
I mean this forum also registers your IP FYI.

XIU

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 08:24:42 PM

Make sure your having Javascript turned on in your browser.
Cause in the Chrome browser at my end its working flawlessly.

Javascript is turned on, no errors in the console Sad

EDIT: In privacy mode is does work so I'm guessing one of my Chrome add-ons is messing up your site and it looks like LastPass is causing it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: