Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:58:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain is releasing a 815GH/s Blake(2b) miner called the AntMiner A3  (Read 3709 times)
batteryshop

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 12:20:53 PM

I think earliest on tomorrow, as ship from Shenzhen to Hong Kong, within 100KM

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bitcoin.cash (OP)

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 03:36:47 AM

Heee they confirmed my payment  Cool
bitcoin.cash (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 07:55:55 AM

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/ev59dz/bitmain-siacoin-obelisk-asic-vorick

What Happens When a Chinese Giant Swoops In on Your Tiny Cryptocurrency
Bitmain maintains a near-monopoly on Bitcoin hardware, now it’s coming for Siacoin.

A Chinese cryptocurrency mining giant just swooped in on a tiny cryptocurrency with some high-end hardware, and the developers behind the US-based Siacoin are worried that a foreign shake-up is on the horizon.

The cryptocurrency world hasn’t been the same since specialized Bitcoin mining hardware called ASICs first hit the scene back in 2013. Unlike the versatile graphics cards and CPUs found in everyday computers that were originally used to mine Bitcoin, ASICs–short for application-specific integrated circuits—are made to do only one thing incredibly efficiently: Mine cryptocurrency.

One of the side effects of the adoption of ASICs by miners is they turned cryptocurrency mining from a niche hobby into a massive industry with a high financial barrier to entry (ASICs cost around $2,000 apiece, and the biggest operators have warehouses full of them). And in the world of ASIC cryptocurrency mining, a Chinese hardware company called Bitmain is king. Not only is Bitmain a chief supplier of ASICs, but it also operates two of the world’s largest Bitcoin mining operations that together account for 39 percent of the entire network’s mining power.

Read More: Cryptocurrency Miners are Fueling a GPU Shortage

On Wednesday, Bitmain announced it was expanding its mining operations with the Antminer A3, a new ASIC specifically made for a hashing algorithm called BLAKE(2b). This matters, because at the time of writing a small cryptocurrency called Siacoin is one of only two cryptocurrencies that uses BLAKE(2b); the other, Raiblocks, is worth $16 USD per coin compared to Siacoin’s five cents. In comparison, one bitcoin is worth roughly $12,000 at the time of writing. Not only will Bitmain be mining Siacoin itself (though it’s uncertain how much Siacoin mining power is operated by Bitmain), but on Tuesday it also began selling A3 miners to anybody who can pay.

This is worrying for Siacoin—the currency of blockchain-based data management platform Sia, which has aspirations of being integrated by Netflix—since large miners have a degree of power in blockchain-based systems. If one company manages to capture more than half of the entire network’s total mining power, for example, they could execute blockchain-damaging attacks. Enlarged status in the community is a factor, too; last year Bitmain played a role in splitting the Bitcoin network in two, which created a competing cryptocurrency called Bitcoin Cash.

Not everyone is happy about Bitmain swooping in like this—namely Siacoin co-founder David Vorick, who plans to release his own ASICs for Siacoin in June. Suddenly, Vorick and his ASIC company, called Obelisk, are in competition with a Chinese giant that has a near-monopoly on Bitcoin mining hardware. And making things worse, it’s already beat him to market to mine his own cryptocurrency. On Wednesday, Vorick posted his displeasure to Reddit, saying that the Siacoin developers are worried.

“As a developer, Bitmain moving into the Sia space makes me uneasy,” Vorick wrote in a Reddit post on Wednesday. “Bitmain has historically been extremely greedy, and very willing to sacrifice the well-being of the community, of their customers, and of the ecosystem if it means they can make a couple of extra dollars.”

Vorick cited Bitmain’s reported 50 percent margins on its hardware and perceived overselling as the reasons for his criticisms.

“Bitmain will sell more units than the Sia ecosystem can sustain, and many people end up with large losses,” Vorick wrote in the Reddit post. “Bitmain will not end up with losses, because they were paid up-front with non-refundable money.”

The main concern among Siacoin developers, according to Vorick, is that the influx of powerful Bitmain miners will likely drive out less capable GPU and CPU miners on the Siacoin network, centralizing Siacoin mining. And because the difficulty of mining Siacoin increases in proportion to the network’s total mining power—meaning that ASICs will be extremely profitable at first, but mine more slowly over time—mining could be less lucrative for customers who’ve pre-ordered Obelisk ASICs by the time they arrive.

In his Reddit post, Vorick broached the possibility that the Siacoin community could implement a change to the mining code so that the Bitmain ASICs would be unusable. However, he noted that this would probably hurt Bitmain customers in the Siacoin community more than Bitmain itself, since the company does the vast majority of its business in other cryptocurrencies and all its ASICs are non-refundable (for what it’s worth, so are Obelisk’s). So, it seems like cooler heads will prevail.

“As much as I would like to punch Bitmain in the nose, I don’t think a [code change] achieves what we want,” Vorick wrote on Reddit.
Advertisement

Indeed, implementing code changes to block various ASICs could turn into a game of Whack-a-Mole—soon after Bitmain started selling their Siacoin ASIC miners on Tuesday afternoon, another Chinese company called Halong Mining announced it is also developing a Siacoin ASIC, although the company has yet to bring an ASIC to market. Vorick told me in a Reddit direct message that he has heard rumors that another company might also be developing a Siacoin ASIC in the coming months.

“That means Sia has 4 hardware companies competing and shipping product in Q1 and Q2 of 2018,” Vorick told me in a direct message over Reddit. “Our biggest fear was that one company would come in and control everything.” But, he admitted, “that seems very unlikely at this point.”

Still, depending on how many A3s Bitmain sells, there’s still a very real possibility that Vorick’s fears could be realized if Bitmain floods the market before the Obelisk and Halong ASICs are even shipped. Either way, Siacoin’s predicament is a fascinating look at a young cryptocurrency in the middle of tumultuous technological change.
VoskCoin

Activity: 1414
Merit: 487

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2018, 06:21:16 PM

Took a shot at doing a livestream, still a total noob w/ it but I showcase my A3 and some if its numbers plus you can click the googl link to watch my miner

https://youtu.be/ZGVbadJQnCk

https://goo.gl/S3o5Yz
Here's my miner on siamining for those interested running in ~75 F environment

Check out my Crypto YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/VoskCoin
If you enjoy my content click Subscribe
gauldicus

Activity: 54

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 11:49:03 PM

Nice One mate, i hope you get  good few weeks at the current rate, you'll have plenty of extra $$$  Cheesy
VoskCoin

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2018, 12:10:18 AM

Hey guys put together a thread on my Bitmain Antminer A3 results and will post some additional info and updates into it for those that are interested

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2813143

https://youtu.be/6ZFx35ilUwQ

If anyone is curious you can view my A3 here https://goo.gl/S3o5Yz

VoskCoin

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2018, 12:10:39 AM

Nice One mate, i hope you get  good few weeks at the current rate, you'll have plenty of extra $$$  Cheesy
haha hopefully before SIA gets mad and bricks it!

Victorio

Activity: 281

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 12:46:34 AM

Damn, I was hoping Bitmain had done Bitmain things with A3 - delaying the dispatch for weeks, shipping without PSUs.
Now it's clear why the net hashrate increased 40% in 2 days  Grin

winmon

Activity: 281
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 12:48:47 AM

It must be nice......

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses 100% original codebase
  Superfast with 30 seconds instant finality
  Tested 5000 tx per block on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
MisterT63

Activity: 3

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 03:36:53 AM

Siamining.com or sia.luxor.tech are the two famous Sia mining pools.  Nicehash also has it but i cant get it working. I imagine Antpool also has since are making the machines but there is no link on their website yet
bitcoin.cash (OP)

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 06:17:36 AM

Took a shot at doing a livestream, still a total noob w/ it but I showcase my A3 and some if its numbers plus you can click the googl link to watch my miner

https://youtu.be/ZGVbadJQnCk

https://goo.gl/S3o5Yz
Here's my miner on siamining for those interested running in ~75 F environment

Happy mining .. what is the earning now?

Where you buy that racks  Roll Eyes Undecided
bitcoin.cash (OP)

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 06:19:04 AM

haha hopefully before SIA gets mad and bricks it!

Why should SIA gets mad?
in this economy, they should thanks as it will increase the demand and the number of sia transaction right?
bitcoin.cash (OP)

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 06:19:38 AM

Damn, I was hoping Bitmain had done Bitmain things with A3 - delaying the dispatch for weeks, shipping without PSUs.
Now it's clear why the net hashrate increased 40% in 2 days  Grin

wait for 4 6 8 days to come Grin
bitcoin.cash (OP)

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 06:20:17 AM

Siamining.com or sia.luxor.tech are the two famous Sia mining pools.  Nicehash also has it but i cant get it working. I imagine Antpool also has since are making the machines but there is no link on their website yet

do you have any reviews of the two?
which one you use?
bitcoin.cash (OP)

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 06:22:38 AM

BTW SIA services offering is just like bitcoin file? BIFI ?
dlezama

Activity: 140
Merit: 17

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 08:46:39 AM

Leaving this here for A3 owners, in case they are new to the Sia community: https://www.reddit.com/r/siacoin/comments/7slr57/something_stinks_in_the_world_of_a3s_and_mining/
bitcoin.cash (OP)

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 09:49:48 AM

Leaving this here for A3 owners, in case they are new to the Sia community: https://www.reddit.com/r/siacoin/comments/7slr57/something_stinks_in_the_world_of_a3s_and_mining/

Interesting ...

thanks for sharing
Hendrikclaasen

Activity: 47

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 10:31:21 AM

Waiting for my A3 - DHL - status from Monday 22 Jan "Shipment information received".
How long do you think before I get it?
bitcoin.cash (OP)

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 11:45:40 AM

Waiting for my A3 - DHL - status from Monday 22 Jan "Shipment information received".

same here ...  Grin

where is your location?
Hendrikclaasen

Activity: 47

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 12:37:27 PM

same here ...  Grin

where is your location?

South Africa and you?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: