Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:32:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When will this happen?  (Read 2365 times)
bitplane

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 1gyzhw

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 10:08:57 AM

Why are so many americans opposed to the metric system? The only primary numbering system taught in schools is base-10, so it's not like it's some weird foreign concept....

I mean no offense, I've just never discussed it before. And USA is one of only a handful of countries not using the metric system.

Unless you're typing on a non-Qwerty keyboard, you are also using an inferior system because it's what you know! (as am I)

Quote from: pilardi
Secondly, other countries use a strange mix of metric and imperial as well.  Namely England.  England uses miles per hours for road signs and stones for weight.  Yes, I watch Top Gear.

Yeah, it would be both expensive and dangerous to change all the road signs. We also drive on the left, it would be much cheaper in the long run to drive on the right side of the road, but sometimes you're just stuck with a seemingly arbitrary system for historical reasons.

Only people are weighed and measured in imperial, but the latest generation of kids are using metric there too. I think it will be at least a century before we move to measuring beer in litres!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: